I want to capture video from 720p Component (the video can be smaller)


New member
Basically, what I need to know is: what video capture card / usb device accepts 720p input for video recording? The captured video does NOT need to be 720p, it can be smaller like 480p. It just needs to have good image quality. (maybe, optionally, the capture device could also acceps 1080i/p input).

Also, the cheaper the better of course (with good image quality).

I need to capture video from Xbox 360 / PS3. I know I can use the consoles' composite cables, set them to 480p, and capture using standard video capture cards / usb devices already.

But I want to be able to play the games as I normally would, in 720p, and at the same time capture it in video.

I imagine I could use a splitter for the component cables, and plug one end to my HDTV, and the other end to the input of a capture card / usb device. But I need to know for sure WHICH card or device to get.

I have read through the stickies and could not find this information. Thanks for helping me out!

:D :D :D :) :rolleyes:
Hauppauge HD PVR High Definition Personal Video Recorder 1212 USB 2.0 Interface - Retail
Original Price: $219.99
You Save: $10.00

  • Built-in hardware H.264 high definition encoder, for high performance, high quality TV recordings
  • Component video input from most high definition cable TV and satellite TV receivers. Optical or stereo audio inputs.
  • Record high definition video at up to 1080i resolution, 720p or VGA/D1
    Record at datarates from 1Mbs to 13.5Mbs, constant and Variable Bit Rate
  • Blu-ray format AVCHD recordings, so you can burn your TV recordings onto a standard DVD disk (up to 2 hours of video at 5MBits/sec) and playback on Blu-ray DVD players
  • Includes HD software video player, so you can playback recordings to your PC screen
  • Audio / Video component video loop through to allow HD recording and viewing at the same time
  • High Performance Noise Reduction Function
  • NTSC,PAL and SECAM Support
  • IR receiver for remote control
  • IR Blaster to change the TV channels in your set top box
Last edited: