Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Closed Thread

Old May 2, 2003, 09:22 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
CATALYST maker
dominATIon

CATALYST maker is still being judged by the masses

Default CAT 3.4 Q&A Thread

Hi I will take some questions on CAT 3.3 (cancelled) and CAT 3.4 (to be posted mid may) here.

I can not possibly answer every question but will take a sample of questions to answer.

Shoot.
Old May 2, 2003, 09:24 AM   #2
T-Spoon
Radeon R420

T-Spoon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Posted by Catalyst Maker
Of course I can not talk about unannounced features, (but may still give some hints)
So... uhm... what about giving us some hints.
Old May 2, 2003, 09:25 AM   #3
KillerSneak
Banned

KillerSneak is still being judged by the masses

My only big question must be why ? Is it true that it could not be WHQL certiefied ? or is it something else ?????????

2nd: Can i be an beta tester ????????????????????????

EDIT: "You should have posted the 3.4 news here as an official statement" i share this opinion with pr()zak BTW

Last edited by KillerSneak : May 2, 2003 at 09:40 AM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 2, 2003, 09:25 AM   #4
tEd
Hans Dampf im Schnägäloch

tEd is still being judged by the masses

What will the new feature(s) be?

edit: well hints then
Old May 2, 2003, 09:26 AM   #5
spajdr
Bankrupt

spajdr is still being judged by the masses

Catalyst maker :
There is mention that catalyst 3.4 will have "some new features" can you tell us what these new features will be ? supersampling antialiasing ? or .. ? Thanks.
Old May 2, 2003, 09:27 AM   #6
Diseaseboy
Radeon R300

Diseaseboy is still being judged by the masses

I seem to be having problems maintaining a refresh rate greater than 60hz when running Opengl games in WindowsXP. Do you think I'll still have this problem in mid May?

Thanks,

Scott
7800GT SLI

Chaintech nforce3-250 VE
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1024 Kingston pc3200
ATI X850XT
Old May 2, 2003, 09:27 AM   #7
T-Spoon
Radeon R420

T-Spoon is still being judged by the masses

Oh and I was wondering if the possible releasedate of 12-15 May was chosen on purpose ** cough * NV35 launch * cough **?
Old May 2, 2003, 09:29 AM   #8
Sharkie

Sharkie is still being judged by the masses

Default Shadowbane

Hi

Will the issue in Shadowbane be fixed? Currently I have to edit the arcanprefs.cfg/hardwaremipmaps=false, and fall back to cat 3.1. I have been able to use the current Omega drivers, but have to launch with task manager in the fore ground, then close it. Thanks
Old May 2, 2003, 09:30 AM   #9
Narse77

Narse77 is still being judged by the masses

No problems in any games I play with the 3.2s but I am looking forward to a performance increase. Also are you looking for any more beta testers?
Old May 2, 2003, 09:45 AM   #10
Cory

Cory is still being judged by the masses

Default NWN Performance

Will there be any performance improvements for Neverwinter Nights, or is ATi even able to do anything about this?
Old May 2, 2003, 10:01 AM   #11
C}{$
Radeon R420

C}{$ is still being judged by the masses

Cool

Will they be WHQL?!

Will they include the control panel as one big download?!

Will they have the option to not install SmartGart?!

Web-Hosting from just £5/$8 a year!
Old May 2, 2003, 10:03 AM   #12
foolhaha

foolhaha is still being judged by the masses

Default *** Component Adapter Issue ***

Will the Component Adapter Overscan Issue will fixed? Will 540p be enabled?
Old May 2, 2003, 10:04 AM   #13
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Pr()ZaC is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Forget about my ETA question then
Don't get me wront about the "official statement". I know you don't have to do it as you are posting here (and at DH) just because you are a gentleman.

1)I'd like to know if we'll see any Truform speed boost in the 3.4 for R300 cards;

2)Status of the "slow EVBM" problem in 3DM01;

3)Feedback about the AGP Aperture Size=0MB/56MB in Windows XP, using nForce2 chipsets(BIOS its at 128MB+)

Thanks.

Last edited by Pr()ZaC : May 2, 2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:04 AM   #14
dBugged
Radeon R420

dBugged is still being judged by the masses

Would it be possible to post a COMPLETE list of the known fixes that will be included?

Intel D865PERL (i865), Pentium 4 3.4ghz HT, 2GB Ballistix DDR SDRAM, SoundBlaster X-Fi, ATI X850XT PE (6.3), Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD, 76gb Raptor SATA, 250gb Maxtor SATA, 200gb External Maxtor USB2, NEC ND-3500A DVDR/CDR, PCP&C Turbo-Cool 510, Windows XP Pro SP2
Old May 2, 2003, 10:05 AM   #15
saf1

saf1 is still being judged by the masses

1. Will this driver set fix the current issues with DaOC / Shrouded Isle? The issues where we can not enable AA / FSAA?

2. Will this patch address the current issues with Shadowbane?

If neither of those are fixed this time around - I'm guessing there will be a lot of ticked off customers. I myself will switch back to a nvidia card (Ti4600).

The primary reason I picked up a 9700 Pro was to enable AA/FSAA. The fact that I can not makes me regret my purchase...
Old May 2, 2003, 10:06 AM   #16
andrewfq

andrewfq is still being judged by the masses

Default links

Just wondering, has the problem with Links 2003 been resolved where myself and others were having problems with image corruption?

It only appeared in 3.2 onwards for me, but 3.1 and below were fine.

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:10 AM   #17
dBugged
Radeon R420

I'm curious why Beta Testers, who are under an NDA, are allowed to even mention that they are beta testers (some have logos next to their name). Some of them appear to be teasing the rest of us, just because they have the drivers and know stuff we don't. This only causes people to be more anxious and annoyed when drivers are delayed.

Intel D865PERL (i865), Pentium 4 3.4ghz HT, 2GB Ballistix DDR SDRAM, SoundBlaster X-Fi, ATI X850XT PE (6.3), Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD, 76gb Raptor SATA, 250gb Maxtor SATA, 200gb External Maxtor USB2, NEC ND-3500A DVDR/CDR, PCP&C Turbo-Cool 510, Windows XP Pro SP2
Old May 2, 2003, 10:12 AM   #18
steef
Radeon R100

steef is still being judged by the masses

I hate to be a dork... but MAKE SURE THERES NO HL BUGS heehee Everyone loves that game, so dont say its old and gay!
ATi Radeon 9700Pro=-=Albatron Ti4200P
BTC 24x10x40 cr-rw
Lite-on 16X DVD
Old May 2, 2003, 10:19 AM   #19
Panman
Radeon R100

Panman is still being judged by the masses

Are you guys aware of the CSI: Crime Scene Investigation bug whereby you get a "Director player" error the messagebox showing that "<void> expected".

This used to happen to me as soon as the opening UBISOFT logo was shown. But since updating to DX9.0a it happens when I click on a new game.

I know it's the Radeon at fault as I installed it on a friend's PC with inbuild gfx on the mobo (based on SiS graphics chipset) and it works fine - no errors.

PanMan
Crucial Radeon 9700 Pro (not oc'ed)
Conexant HCF 56K Modem
Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL Modem
1x 20 Gb, 1x 80Gb HDs
Enermax EG465AX-VE 431w PSU (Man/Temp control)
Old May 2, 2003, 10:20 AM   #20
Below 30
Radeon R200

Below 30 is still being judged by the masses

We would like to know if HDTV and DVI control properties will have the same options that CRT and TV currently have.
P4-2.26, Asus-P4t533, 533Mb-RDram-32bit 4200, WinXP, SB-Audigy2-EX (digitally linked to home system), Aopen#1648-16x/48x-DVD, MS-SidewinderGamePadPro (silver-discontined), Radeon-9700pro, 32"TV/HDTV for gaming (SyncMaster400b-15" for browsing).
Old May 2, 2003, 10:27 AM   #21
Dem2k
Radeon Sea Islands

Dem2k is still being judged by the masses

Yeah fixes for Neverwinter Nights would be pro. Also are we going to see an speed boost with the r300 chipset and TRUEFORM? Trueform makes me games look sexy but the card dont seem to handle it very well atm

I have a Sapphire 9700 PRO

Last edited by Dem2k : May 2, 2003 at 10:36 AM.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:28 AM   #22
CATALYST maker
dominATIon

CATALYST maker is still being judged by the masses

Default answers

Ok guys here is my attempt to answer every question that has come to me. I am being as honest as possible and have hopefully answered some questions for you.

t-spoon: Heres one and just one... A new color control tab, ok one more DIVX player application fullstream acceleration for R300 class cards. Oh ok one more, there will also be a multimedia center udpate

Killersneak: It is true we could not get them certified when we tried. It was not a problem with our drivers but a problem with the certification test. We could not wait for the test to be fixed so we moved on with the next natural choice (CATALYST 3.4)

Can you be a beta tester? I dont know I am going through applications today and picking a bunch more beta testers. I dont have any cross reference to your applciation with your rage3d name

As for posting it here instead of DH.... Why? I knew it was gonna get linked. Do I really need to post in both places when the community is so tight?

Ted: See answer I gave t-spoon

Spajdr: See above, and no it will not have supersampling antialising, as our VP of software said in an interview a month or two ago, that is not in our roadmap and I dont expect it to be.

Diseaseboy: I know we had provided a fix to that for DirectX and the plan was to have it for OpenGL as well. I will check if it is actually in the code yet. If it is not it will be there very soon.

T-Spoon: Nope I know nothing of the release date of our competitors products. May 12th is the current date we are expecting this back from Microsoft and it takes us between 1 and 3 days to get it ready for web posting

Sharkie: Sorry man I dont know about this specific bug. I will check it out and follow up though

Narse77: Yes there will be good performance boosts across all RADEON's, but the 9700 pro will get the most bang. Also, yes I am looking for more beta testers

Cory: I have not heard of performance improvements for that in the current set. Didnt know we had a problem with that game.

C}{$ - Yes they will be WHQL. I am trying to provide both options for download (seperate packages, and one big one) but right now I am not sure how we will do it this posting. No our drivers will never have the option to not install Smartgart. However I know that some of you guys dont like it or find it useful, so I will be providing a new utility called Smartgart uninstaller.

foolhaha: No I dont think so as overscan is something that is technically very hard. I am going to spend some time looking at the software for the component adapter in the near future.

Prozac - No we havent been focusing on truform perf boosts. Whats the slow EVBM problem and AGP aperture problem? I will have to follow up on it. Please PM me details of both these problems

dbugged: Yes I will have a read me file when they are posted. Not before (As they are still being coded). PS> the half life escape bug WILL be fixed.

saf1: I do not know details about Daoc and Shadowbane. Doesnt mean ATI doesnt know about them but just me personally dont know. Can you PM me more info about both of them. Ti4600? (GASPP!!!!!)

Andrewfq: I dont know about that one in particular will have to check. PM me with more info.

XP2000: You are on my ignore list and as such I have no comment for you now or ever.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:31 AM   #23
Flywest
Radeon R420

Flywest is still being judged by the masses

1 ) Can we expect FSAA with Neverwinter Nights to be susbstantially faster ? currently, it's too slow to use in decent resolutions.

2) Has the Splinter Cell FSAA issue been looked upon ?

3) Finally I'd like to know if we'll be able to use Night Vision along with FSAA in Raven Shield without that huge framerate hit and mouse lag we have now.

Thanks !
Old May 2, 2003, 10:31 AM   #24
KillerSneak
Banned

May i ask what you mean by this MR CM ? " I dont have any cross reference to your applciation with your rage3d name" or can anybody else explain it to me ?

EDIT: Does this mean that they did not get my Beta application form ?

Last edited by KillerSneak : May 2, 2003 at 10:37 AM.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:39 AM   #25
ThatManWilko
Radeon R100

ThatManWilko is still being judged by the masses

Default TV Out

Catalyst Maker, Is there any chance that the TV out of the 8500 (and other cards) is going to be addressed? I'm talking about the 'black band' syndrome where the picture cannot be stretched enough to fit the TV screen. It has been reported here many times, and I know that one of your colleagues, Sir Eric has definately passed on the problem account to the driver teams. All we need is the parameters of the TV adjustments to be altered so that we get a greater amount of adjustment. For example, my tv output has a black band of about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch at the top and bottom (it's a 25" television), and the ability to remove this would be VERY welcome. My TV is very well adjusted, and I know from experience that it is not the culprit.

Thanks you for any reply you can give to all of us.

ThatManWilko.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:39 AM   #26
Dem2k
Radeon Sea Islands

Dem2k is still being judged by the masses

I think he means he hasn't been through or found a ref with your rage3d id i.e Killersneak
Old May 2, 2003, 10:41 AM   #27
dBugged
Radeon R420

Thank you CM for your reply! I switched from nVidia (Ti4600) to an ATI 9700 Pro last year when the cards came out and recently upgraded to a 9800 Pro and gave my wife my old 9700 Pro. I've been very happy with my decision to switch. I must say that you guys really do your best to give us what we are looking for!

One other question -- I assume the SimCity 4 bug that causes the game to crash when FSAA and AF are on has been fixed? I have the game installed and want to play it, but am waiting for the drivers since it is a pain to remember to switch off FSAA/AF.

Old May 2, 2003, 10:41 AM   #28
KillerSneak
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dem2k
I think he means he hasn't been through or found a ref with your rage3d id i.e Killersneak
Ok thanks is it possible to make an new BETA APP... FORM so i can send it in again ? maybe i missed soething the last time ?
Old May 2, 2003, 10:43 AM   #29
Spendelux

Spendelux is still being judged by the masses

Will "Display device aspect ratio" work set to 16:9 in Clone Mode Options? Currently the picture seem to get affected by the resolution of the computer monitor and so on. If I run 1600x1200 the picture on the TV gets all too big, if i set the resolution to 1024x768 the picture fits on the tv, but the picture is no different that with "Display device aspect ratio" set to 4:3.

This feature would be extremely neat for us with widescreen televisions - IF IT JUST WOULD WORK!!
Old May 2, 2003, 10:49 AM   #30
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Pr()ZaC is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Catalyst Maker: PM sent...reply/consider whenever you have time.
Closed Thread