Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 29, 2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

AMD Rage3D Article: AMD Phenom II X6, 890FX Review

AMD's Leo Platform is now complete with the launch of not only three new chipsets but the Hexacore Turbo-charged AMD Phenom II X6 1090T processor. Is it the cat's meow or was that Dirk Meyer hocking up a wet furball? Rage3D examines the Phenom 1090T and the ASUS RoG CrossHair IV Formula motherboard with the world's fastest graphics card, the AMD ATI Radeon HD 5970.

AMD Phenom II X6, 890FX Review
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 01:46 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nice review Caveman, you sqaurely hit the nail on the head of the value of this chip.

With my H50 in a Spedo case I was able to take the 1090T to 3.8 Ghz with stock settings on power. (Have to turn off TC) With TC on I was able to hit 3.4 Ghz on 6 core and TC up to 4.0 Ghz.

A mild voltage bump to 1.425 was able to get the chip flying without TC at 4.0. All this by the way was pure multiplier bumping...

I love however the way your review makes a point I like to show people. The overclock gives a pretty little boost but ntohign that changes the way the system really feels. However the wattage takes a serious bump. At stock speeds TC gives a little bump when it's needed and when six cores are in action that extra speed is just not needed.

In my opinion the 1055T has taken the $200 price point throne from the Intel i5 and firmly put AMD back in the drivers seat for value in the mainstream...

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:32 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Yeah, I see no reason to recommend anything other than the 1055T for $200. The amount of choice you have for a platform for that is tremendous - AM2+ and DDR2 through AM3 DDR3. Really impressed with that.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:33 PM   #5
ExoTic
Banned

ExoTic is still being judged by the masses

so jim do i need to upgrade to phenom x6?
ExoTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:34 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Only if you want to improve your carbon footprint.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:38 PM   #7
ExoTic
Banned

ExoTic is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Only if you want to improve your carbon footprint.
NiIIIIIce! Lmao
ExoTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 03:09 PM   #8
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
In my opinion the 1055T has taken the $200 price point throne from the Intel i5 and firmly put AMD back in the drivers seat for value in the mainstream...
I want to hear what people's OC experiences with the 1055T are like before I buy into that.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:42 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

I think just the $20 difference in price from a 965 to 1055T justifies the recommendation; but yes, overclocking will be a large factor in the purchase decision.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:42 PM   #10
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
I want to hear what people's OC experiences with the 1055T are like before I buy into that.
Ask and you shall recieve, the chip will be here tomorrow and I will try to get results by Monday..

#SapphireNation
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:19 AM   #11
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I think just the $20 difference in price from a 965 to 1055T justifies the recommendation; but yes, overclocking will be a large factor in the purchase decision.
It's a pretty big drop in clock rate for those extra 2 cores. In bench marks there seems to be some trading of blows between the two. For a 20% increase in price I want to see that the 1055T is significantly or flat out better before I would recommend it. I think it's almost there but not quite. If it can take a good OC then that would just put it over the top.

Quote:
Ask and you shall recieve, the chip will be here tomorrow and I will try to get results by Monday..
Did you buy it or was it sent to you by AMD?

Last edited by aviphysics : Apr 30, 2010 at 10:28 AM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:31 AM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
It's a pretty big drop in clock rate for those extra 2 cores. In bench marks there seems to be some trading of blows between the two. For a 20% increase in price I want to see that the 1055T is significantly or flat out better before I would recommend it. I think it's almost there but not quite. If it can take a good OC then that would just put it over the top.
The 1055T has Turbo mode of +500Mhz, which is 3.2Ghz, not far from the 3.4 stock of the 965. It runs cooler and the turbo mode can be tweaked for higher clocks.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 01:59 PM   #13
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
The 1055T has Turbo mode of +500Mhz, which is 3.2Ghz, not far from the 3.4 stock of the 965. It runs cooler and the turbo mode can be tweaked for higher clocks.
After only 4 months of me owning a quad core this comes out.....is it ''better'' than my current processor??I have it running at stock.....for now.
NIGELG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 02:13 PM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

"Better" at what? In the review I compare it directly against an AMD Phenom II X4 965, so could look at that and see how it compares.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 02:21 PM   #15
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Quote:

Actually the Turbo Mode cannot be tweaked, in my early look. Got the chip in and plugged it straight into a system as quick as I could. Instead of the Crosshair IV I wanted to test compatibility and put it into a Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P board with the latest BIOS. The board has zero issues with the chip and it works like a champ.

As strange as it sounds this chip seems to be a hair faster than the 965 in the first few tests I threw at it, STO was first up. It gained 5 FPS over the 965 that was in this system. (STO was using TC)

The Gigabyte BIOS is very limited with no way to turn off TC so I decided to look at overclocking in AOD. The AOD sliders show that you can push the multipler to 16.5 for the base speeds, this is the speed the TC works out. However after a lot of attempts nothing would let me raise the multipler at all. The TC functions in AOD had no effect, I was unable to turn off TC nor could I raise the level, it was maxed out.

Will put the chip into the Crosshair this weekend and see what it delivers.

Overall impression right now is that in pure usability it is equal to the 965.

#SapphireNation
Old Apr 30, 2010, 03:14 PM   #16
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Are you running latest BIOS for the board? I wonder if there are adjustment options on the ASUS board. Interesting stuff!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 04:40 PM   #17
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

@ Crisler
Are you gonig try any FSB overclocking?

Also the crosshair IV sounds like a great board but at $250 it kind of loses the value proposition. I would be much more interested in whats possible with a ~$100-$130 board.

Last edited by aviphysics : Apr 30, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 05:07 PM   #18
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Damb it. I just browsed around to look at other peoples 1055T OC results and I really want one. I have no good reason to get one and should upgrade my GPU first but I want one anyway. I just love AMD so much and it pisses me off that almost every time I go build a gaming system they don't have a competitive product. Then a year or two later they come out with something nice like this.

Last edited by aviphysics : Apr 30, 2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:43 PM   #19
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Okay put it in the Crossfire with a beta BIOS from Asus and while you have more options the chip appears to be hard locked. I can confirm after a few runs of STO and a few other quick tests in games and apps that this chip will run right with the 965 in any app I have hit it with.

As for heavy threading my tests have shown that the 1055T @ stock 2.8 is equal to a PII 965 overclocked to 3.8 GHz. Those two extra cores are worth a 1 Ghz delta in heavy threading.

So in essence for the same price you can either get a 965 or a 965 with a 1Ghz bump when you need it. The 1055T is a GREAT buy!

aviphysics I will look at FSB overclocking when I get a chance. I agree with you that the chip needs to be explored on a lower end board so I am going to do the next round of testing on the 770.

As for the Crosshair, I will be making an entry on my blog site in a bit once I compile all my notes, however I suggest NOT buying this board for use with a X6 right now. At least not until you read what I have found...

#SapphireNation
Old Apr 30, 2010, 07:30 PM   #20
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Okay the blog with the full story is posted...

Quote:
As I continued my real world testing however more deeply the issue came into more clear focus. The real eye opener came when I fired up my current MMO, Star Trek Online for a gaming comparison. The game speed was AWFUL, I was lucky to see more than 30 FPS.
A Crosshair in the Soup

#SapphireNation
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:17 PM   #21
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Okay the blog with the full story is posted...

A Crosshair in the Soup
People always tell others to stay away from the bottom of the bucket but I have noticed at the top and niche markets problems like this are not uncommon either. I think the small numbers of sales don't encourage good support.

For my last couple of systems I have tried to select mid range motherboards that are broadly popular. So far this seems to have worked out pretty well.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:54 PM   #22
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Quote:
People always tell others to stay away from the bottom of the bucket but I have noticed at the top and niche markets problems like this are not uncommon either. I think the small numbers of sales don't encourage good support.

For my last couple of systems I have tried to select mid range motherboards that are broadly popular. So far this seems to have worked out pretty well.
I will generally agree with this but have found a few "budget" boards I swear by. The Gigabyte MA770T series and the MSI 785GM-E65 are both solid boards and under $100.

#SapphireNation
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:14 PM   #23
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Meh, mountain out of molehill IMO. Brand new chipset, brand new BIOS, brand new features to support - yeah, there are issues.

All companies do this now, get good enough out the door and then fix the issues that consumers complain about the most instead of fixing everything they know about before release, and then addressing individual minor issues.

I didn't find any of these problems. If thats because my testing methodology doesn't expose the C'n'Q issue or if I don't know what I'm looking at, I don't know.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Apr 30, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:41 PM   #24
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
I will generally agree with this but have found a few "budget" boards I swear by. The Gigabyte MA770T series and the MSI 785GM-E65 are both solid boards and under $100.
By budget boards I was refering to boards like my old ABIT Vi7. For some reason it ran my P4 at half speed by default. I didn't figure out what the problem was for years. When I fixed it by manually adjust the FSB speed I started getting HD write errors like crazy. Kind of confusing like it wasn't designed to do that even though the manual said it supported my CPU.

The 785GM-e65 is a wonderful board and looks great. I love mine.

Quote:
Meh, mountain out of molehill IMO. Brand new chipset, brand new BIOS, brand new features to support - yeah, there are issues.
If I am spending $250 on a MB there shouldn't be any issues. Especially if I can buy a $100 board with no issues. Not being able to wake from cnq with single threaded apps is a pretty big issue IMO.

Last edited by aviphysics : Apr 30, 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old May 1, 2010, 02:19 AM   #25
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

nice review, not too shabby for the price

Just curious, what is the expected price of the 3.2 black edition with unlocked multi? and whats a decent mobo to go with the black edition for a decent oc and also support tri-fire?

nvm found the black edition price in other thread

Last edited by demo : May 1, 2010 at 02:24 AM.
demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 07:41 AM   #26
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Quote:
If I am spending $250 on a MB there shouldn't be any issues. Especially if I can buy a $100 board with no issues. Not being able to wake from cnq with single threaded apps is a pretty big issue IMO.
This was kind of my point. I mean you are a DIYer who is building his first big time machine. You buy the 1090T becuase it gives you 6 cores at a great price and want to overclock so you buy the Asus Crosshair IV to get the most feature rich motherboard you can. You fire this up and start playing away. The first few games you play run amazing and you are really happy with your build. Suddenly you hit another game that is less demanding than the ones you have already played and it tanks hard. You tweak settings and nothing, the same mess.

After an hour or two of frustration you stumble across a post in the forum of the same issue and find out that motherboard you paid $200+ for has a BIOS glitch and there is no time frame for a fix.

A bigger point however I wish to make is that this is the third launch in a row I have seen the Asus top of the line have BIOS issues. I have yet to see MSI or Gigabyte have the same kind of problems.

Now in fairness I wish to say that Caveman is not really far off the mark, this is in the grand scheme of things a mole hill. After all the people buying these levels of motherboards tend to be enthusiast and they are used to in their tweaking hitting a minor glitch and finding a work around.

I can however say it is a sad testiment to Asus that I know they have been through 4 BIOS revisions counting the one I got with the board and this issue has not been fixed. It should also be noted that the $89 Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P might lack the various overclocking tricks of Asus but the BIOS works perfect.

You know at the end of the day THAT might be the real issue. In their effort to put al these neat bells and whistles into the high end board Asus just is doing to much at once and small things slip through the cracks.

I am not giving up on the Crosshair, I am sure Asus will get it resolved. I gave AMD literally a ton of tracking material showing how to easily reproduce the issue and the work arounds. I am sure this will get passed to Asus and they will get this fixed. I am however disappointed that this seems to be a recurring theme with Asus and high end AMD launches.

#SapphireNation
Old May 1, 2010, 01:25 PM   #27
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I totally agree with you on the Asus front... I grabbed last years high end amd fx board from them and I went though about 7 or 8 bios's before I finally found one that would support the features I purchased. I am most likely going to stand clear of Asus for now on.. there bios revisions generally are terribad.
dmanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 01:49 PM   #28
Sand-Man
Tri Fire 390X

Sand-Man is still being judged by the masses

Nice review.

Bingo is developing this bios.

0707 beta bios is very nice for 6 core cpu's.0602 should have never been released for overclockers.

Last edited by Sand-Man : May 1, 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Sand-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 03:46 PM   #29
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

0707 is the one I am using right now. Nice BIOS but the CnQ feature still has the glitches I found.

#SapphireNation
Old May 3, 2010, 04:56 PM   #30
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

AMD are validating the 0707 bios as the best one to use for the Crosshair IV right now, according to an email received today.