Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 23, 2022, 02:47 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Other people's opinion here might be different, but personally I think the 2080 Ti is still a totally capable GPU. Especially if you are not at 4k res.

Looking at your specs, if you really have the upgrade bug maybe just start looking into a new CPU/motherboard. But you can definitely still continue using everything else.

I'd start with CPU reviews with benchmarks that include your 6700K so you can compare. Then decide if they performance boost is worth it to you. At the end of the day though I wouldn't bother unless you are currently playing certain games that the performance is not meeting your personal standards.
appreciate it!
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2022, 03:00 PM   #62
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
appreciate it!
Not to make you second guess, but it is also a viable option to sell the 2080 Ti before resale value drops more, and better offset the cost of a new GPU. Its a judgement call you have to make based on your usage.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2022, 04:54 PM   #63
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

The 2080 ti is still a good card, the people who said it was barely an upgrade over the 1080 ti ended up being WRONG.

It's faster than the gpu that is in the xb/ps5, so it might even survive this entire generation as long as you don't go above 1440p.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 23, 2022, 04:59 PM   #64
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Other people's opinion here might be different, but personally I think the 2080 Ti is still a totally capable GPU. Especially if you are not at 4k res.

Looking at your specs, if you really have the upgrade bug maybe just start looking into a new CPU/motherboard. But you can definitely still continue using everything else.
I would agree with this. In USA MicroCenter is selling the 5600 for $149, hell of a deal for the best bang for the buck gaming CPU.

Last edited by acroig : Jun 24, 2022 at 08:39 AM.
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2022, 04:04 AM   #65
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I didn't want to start another thread but just built my friend his first gaming PC. He hasn't gamed since the PS2 era, although he loves to see my rig in action when he drops by.

2nd hand from OCAU:
MSI z390 pro
Noctua NH-D15
16GB 3200 MHz CL14
Samsung 850 SSD 500GB
WD green SSD 500GB
Silverstone strider Gold 1200W [my old PSU]
Fractal Something, not sure, but air flow seemed OK.

And a refurbished Gigabyte RTX2060 OC with 3 year warranty for half the price of brand new.

He got the whole lot for $670 AUD, I suppose around $450 USD. Very happy with it, been playing games at 4k with NIS or DLSS [either 1440p or 1080p equivalent] and it shreds everything.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 05:11 AM   #66
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

That's excellent for 670AUD. I'm glad prices are coming back to reality .. this is a good time right now, considering adjustments for inflation haven't hit yet.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2022, 07:44 AM   #67
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
That's excellent for 670AUD. I'm glad prices are coming back to reality .. this is a good time right now, considering adjustments for inflation haven't hit yet.
Actually computer parts are like the only thing that has not been affected by inflation. Prices for them have been going in the opposite direction.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 08:41 AM   #68
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Actually computer parts are like the only thing that has not been affected by inflation. Prices for them have been going in the opposite direction.
I know, that's why I said adjustments for inflation have _not_ occurred yet.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jun 24, 2022, 01:59 PM   #69
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Quote:
I know, that's why I said adjustments for inflation have _not_ occurred yet.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was an agreement, just taking it a step further by saying its surprising they are like the ONLY current commodity that hasn't been affected yet.

Maybe because over the past couple years demand was so high causing spiking prices, and now that demand has lessened despite inflation. Its a good thing for PC builders!
Old Jun 25, 2022, 05:07 PM   #70
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was an agreement, just taking it a step further by saying its surprising they are like the ONLY current commodity that hasn't been affected yet.

Maybe because over the past couple years demand was so high causing spiking prices, and now that demand has lessened despite inflation. Its a good thing for PC builders!
Ah okay, yep, totally in agreement. The past couple years the demand has absolutely driven absurd pricing - pretty much since COVID has been a nightmare, and then splash in Crypto .. ouch.

The fall of home-grown mining and demand easing up due to this global recession that is quickly racing towards us.. I think we'll see some decent pricing for some time. Eventually though, the inflation for US customers is going to kick in to prices. I just don't think it'll happen to products already released - we'll see it with future releases though, for sure.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 08:25 AM   #71
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Quote:
Ah okay, yep, totally in agreement. The past couple years the demand has absolutely driven absurd pricing - pretty much since COVID has been a nightmare, and then splash in Crypto .. ouch.

The fall of home-grown mining and demand easing up due to this global recession that is quickly racing towards us.. I think we'll see some decent pricing for some time. Eventually though, the inflation for US customers is going to kick in to prices. I just don't think it'll happen to products already released - we'll see it with future releases though, for sure.
Yep. I'm a firm believer that even if companies don't necessary need to raise prices, they will do it anyways if they can just blame it on inflation. Can't wait to see the Nvidia 40 series pricing.

I'm glad I got my son's new PC now. He'll be good for at least the next 5 years I would say, given the majority of games he plays (low demand indie stuff). Also I'm probably good for a few more generations. I don't see this 3080 becoming an issue performance-wise for me any time soon.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:50 AM   #72
KAC
Whatever

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Pretty cheap to build a good pc about now especially if you scavenge forums for used parts.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2022, 09:48 AM   #73
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Pretty cheap to build a good pc about now especially if you scavenge forums for used parts.
Agree, but personally I'm not comfortable buying used PC parts unless its from someone I know.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:16 AM   #74
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Agree, but personally I'm not comfortable buying used PC parts unless its from someone I know.

Yeah I have never bought PC parts secondhand if I intend to use them for a long time. I am looking at building my wife a new PC since 3080s are available readily now and I might go with basically the same system I have. Could probably save a couple hundred buying second hand but then I have to deal with people and I lose piece of mind which is worth more IMO.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:58 AM   #75
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Yeah I like the idea of buying used. Better for e-waste reasons and obviously saves money.

Its just something I'm not comfortable with for same reasons you stated.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 03:30 PM   #76
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I only ever buy used from people I know. I was able to grab the Corsair AX1600i for $450 shipped which was a steal. The thing was barely used, didn't even have dust on the fan!

I sell most of my used hardware to a few different guys at work. They get good deals, I recoup some costs, and mainly I don't have to deal with strangers.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 03:41 PM   #77
KAC
Whatever

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I buy used parts all the time. Sometimes with people I know and sometimes I don’t. Most of my RTX 3XXX cards were used bought from forums or locally.

My 5900X was from a forum member as well.

Ain’t no problem buying used.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2022, 05:07 PM   #78
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Yeah for the most part its probably going to be fine buying used parts. Especially if you're buying on Ebay with a great customer guarantee policy, or on a tech forum with long time members you can check their history.

Wouldn't recommend buying from a random new forum user though. Or from someone you met on Craigslist or FB marketplace. No recourse if the component has a problem.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 04:47 PM   #79
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Jumping in here because upgrading kids computers lol.

I just spent the afternoon with the grandkid upgrading his ancient PC. He’s now running a 5600x, Asus x570 TUF and 16Gb Corsair. Started right up no issues. Good times
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2022, 09:37 PM   #80
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post

I just spent the afternoon with the grandkid upgrading his ancient PC. He’s now running a 5600x, Asus x570 TUF and 16Gb Corsair. Started right up no issues. Good times

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2022, 09:37 PM   #81
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Great setup!
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2022, 07:16 AM   #82
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Quote:

Nice. Using the stock 5600X heatsink? If so maybe just keep an eye on temps.

I found that wraith stealth to be just good enough to keep load temps within spec. In a warm room or if the case has poor airflow I can see it running a bit too hot and throttling CPU speeds.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 08:21 AM   #83
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Nice. Using the stock 5600X heatsink? If so maybe just keep an eye on temps.

I found that wraith stealth to be just good enough to keep load temps within spec. In a warm room or if the case has poor airflow I can see it running a bit too hot and throttling CPU speeds.
Yeah using the stock heat sink for now. The case has excellent airflow, but I’m planning on adding an AIO for him for a Christmas present. Maybe a 3070ti to go with it

He plays mostly indie titles right now, although I think I have him interested in giving Elden Ring a go.

The kid was nothing but smiles when I left yesterday - I think that was the best part I just need to get him to not be afraid to be firm with PC components. He was terrified he was going to snap something just inserting the ram and video card.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 08:52 AM   #84
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Quote:
Yeah using the stock heat sink for now. The case has excellent airflow, but I’m planning on adding an AIO for him for a Christmas present. Maybe a 3070ti to go with it

He plays mostly indie titles right now, although I think I have him interested in giving Elden Ring a go.

The kid was nothing but smiles when I left yesterday - I think that was the best part I just need to get him to not be afraid to be firm with PC components. He was terrified he was going to snap something just inserting the ram and video card.
It just takes some experience then they'll feel more comfortable.

Word of advice when you replace the CPU cooler. I made the mistake of trying to remove the stock heatsink from a cold system. Don't do that! The AMD thermal compound that comes with the stock cooler really hardens when not in use. Make sure you run the system and get the CPU temps warm for a while before removing. Not sure if you read earlier in the thread, but when I yanked the cooler off it took the CPU with it right out of the socket.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:06 AM   #85
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
It just takes some experience then they'll feel more comfortable.

Word of advice when you replace the CPU cooler. I made the mistake of trying to remove the stock heatsink from a cold system. Don't do that! The AMD thermal compound that comes with the stock cooler really hardens when not in use. Make sure you run the system and get the CPU temps warm for a while before removing. Not sure if you read earlier in the thread, but when I yanked the cooler off it took the CPU with it right out of the socket.
Oh wow! I missed that - I would have had a tizzy LOL. It’s funny you mention that because I kind of screwed up a little and secured the heat sink before installing the ram, and had to pull it back off. When doing that I explained that very issue with hardened TIM to him. I’ve had them stick before, but never yanked the proc out

Good bit of advice
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:27 AM   #86
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Warm it up, and before you pull the cooler up, try twisting a bit side to side. It should separate the cooler from the chip enough to let you pull it off without fear of the chip leaving the socket.

PGA is a poor design. Glad that AMD is going to LGA with Zen4.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:51 AM   #87
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Agreed. LGA is all around a better socket design.

Makes more sense to have the pins on the cheaper component as well (motherboard).