Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jun 6, 2022, 09:00 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
dan99t

dan99t is still being judged by the masses

Default Can Dell's New Workstation 3660 run two GPUs ?

Hi,
I am looking to buy new Dell workstation 3660 with i-7, 12700 CPU.
I would like to run a minimun of 8 Monitors.
This workstation has only following slots.
One PCIe x16 Gen5
One PCIe x4 Gen4
One PCIe x4 Gen3
When configuring on their website it allows me to install Two Nvidia T1000 GPUs & each has 4 miniDP ports so two will run 8 monitors.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...7-29b0fbaf0ac8

But i-7 cpu supports only 20 PCIe lanes & each T1000 GPU requires 16 lanes.
So how Dell will put two GPUs & will they drive eight 24" monitors ( 1920x1200 ) ?
There is one open end x4 slot so will they put it there & if yes what about only 20 PCIe lanes for two GPUs ?

Thank You
dan99t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:26 AM   #2
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

You don't need more videocards with outputs, get 4 port MST (Multi-Stream Transport) hubs. This will allow for 8 independent monitor outputs from just 2 DP outputs without having to have more videocards.

That said, it will just run the 2nd card more slowly as it will only have access to the bandwidth of PCIe 4x. If your not pushing the cards to there limits graphically anyway, this won't be noticeable.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2022, 08:29 AM   #3
dan99t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
You don't need more videocards with outputs, get 4 port MST (Multi-Stream Transport) hubs. This will allow for 8 independent monitor outputs from just 2 DP outputs without having to have more videocards.

That said, it will just run the 2nd card more slowly as it will only have access to the bandwidth of PCIe 4x. If your not pushing the cards to there limits graphically anyway, this won't be noticeable.
All my monitors run on DVI ports. So any suggestion ?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:29 AM   #4
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99t View Post
All my monitors run on DVI ports. So any suggestion ?
According to startech, you can use adapters on the DP outputs of the MST hub. They show DVi, HDMi and VGA on their website

https://www.startech.com/en-ca/audio...cts/mstdp124dp

*Late edit* Just checking now to see if the T1000 has some sort of display limit though.

*the later edit after using google fu editing*
and...
https://www.pny.com/file%20libra...on-support.pdf
*search for "MST" in the document. The T1000 has DP 1.4, so you should be ok

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit

Last edited by Trunks0 : Jun 7, 2022 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Lotta edits sorry. Just wanted to get it right
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2022, 01:37 AM   #5
dan99t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
According to startech, you can use adapters on the DP outputs of the MST hub. They show DVi, HDMi and VGA on their website

https://www.startech.com/en-ca/audio...cts/mstdp124dp

*Late edit* Just checking now to see if the T1000 has some sort of display limit though.

*the later edit after using google fu editing*
and...
https://www.pny.com/file%20library/c...on-support.pdf
*search for "MST" in the document. The T1000 has DP 1.4, so you should be ok
Thank You so much. Really appreciate all the help.