Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Dec 16, 2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

AMD AMD Radeon HD 6900 Tech Demo Featuring GPU Physics

AMD Developer Central is now hosting a new tech demo, featuring Bullet Physics and extensive DirectX 11 features.

The HK-2207 real-time demo features a number of post processing effects (depth-of-field, lens flare, ghosting, aerial perspective/atmospheric, LUT, emissive and reflection) provided as an easy approach for developers and artists to adopt Microsoft® DirectX® 11 programming. This demo also uses a current trend in game engines utilizing deferred lighting and deferred shading allowing many more lights and rapid prototyping. A newly developed GPU accelerated physics particle system is introduced utilizing DX11 DirectCompute. Bullet Physics is used with a new fracture/destruction approach that also features procedurally generated unique debris leveraging DX11 tessellation.

The HK2207 demo requires Windows Vista® or above operating system, a Radeon™ HD 6900 Series graphics processor and associated Catalyst™ software, a dual- or quad-core CPU, and 2GB of RAM.

Download here!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Jaillum Malord
Simplify Mufugha

Jaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I tried it on my rig due to a suspision that technically it should work since it is DX and openCL coded and by jove, it did. Not very impressed with its presentation mind you

Jaillum Malord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Yeha its kind of...bleh looking.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:10 AM   #4
zebra 204
Rage3D Manches Veteran

zebra 204 is still being judged by the masses

Tech demo, eh?

To Play List: Everything else
zebra 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:25 AM   #5
Mystik
Radeon Arctic Islands

Mystik is still being judged by the masses

screenshots look.. extremely lacking.

what ever happened to ruby?
they could've done something similar in "Ruby's day at the beach."
complete with gpu physics.

Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:45 AM   #6
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Wait, I played this game back in 1998, back when it was still called Shogo. I would have thought Lithtech would look better then that by now

Just kidding

Does look like it though. Shogo may have looked better in some places. Not that Nvidia's recent attempt at tech demos are any better, they had to get a third party to make the better one for GTX 500 series, Stone Giant. The one they made themselves is crap. Endless City is worse looking then this is, WAY worse.

The GTX 400 demos look better then the 500 demos! Both Nvidia and AMD are cheaping out this generation for demos.

Last edited by moshpit : Dec 17, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:36 PM   #7
Jaillum Malord
Simplify Mufugha

Jaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Wait, I played this game back in 1998, back when it was still called Shogo. I would have thought Lithtech would look better then that by now

Just kidding

Does look like it though. Shogo may have looked better in some places. Not that Nvidia's recent attempt at tech demos are any better, they had to get a third party to make the better one for GTX 500 series, Stone Giant. The one they made themselves is crap. Endless City is worse looking then this is, WAY worse.

The GTX 400 demos look better then the 500 demos! Both Nvidia and AMD are cheaping out this generation for demos.
Actually the demo reminds me more of the game Slave Zero than Shago

Jaillum Malord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:21 PM   #8
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaillum Malord View Post
Actually the demo reminds me more of the game Slave Zero than Shago
The water actually looks worse then the 3Dmark 2001 SE shader test. I didn't think water would ever look that terrible in anything else.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:00 PM   #9
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

While initially "unimpressive" the following readme has significant options

Quote:
The HK-2207 real-time demo features a number of post processing effects (depth-of-field, lens flare, ghosting, aerial perspective/atmospheric, LUT, emissive and reflection) provided as an easy approach for developers and artists to adopt Microsoft® DirectX® 11 programming. This demo also uses a current trend in game engines utilizing deferred lighting and deferred shading allowing many more lights and rapid prototyping. A newly developed GPU accelerated physics particle system is introduced utilizing DX11 DirectCompute. Bullet Physics is used with a new fracture/destruction approach that also features procedurally generated unique debris leveraging DX11 tessellation.

Deferred shading does not permit the use of traditional anti-aliasing. AMD introduced a new Morphological AA based on DirectCompute in the latest Cayman drivers that can only currently be enabled via Catalyst Control Center as described below.

* Morphological Anti-Aliasing is not enabled by
* default.
* To enable this feature and enhance the
* appearance of this demo, follow the instructions
* below.

Step 1. Open the ATI Catalyst(TM) Control Center and

Either: Right-click on an open area of the desktop, and select Catalyst Control Center from the pop-up menu;

Or: Click Start > Control Panel > Display >
Change Display Settings > Advanced; Choose the Catalyst Control Center tab, and select the ATI Catalyst Control Center button.

Step 2. In the upper-left corner select
Graphics > 3D > AA.

Step 3. Check the "Morphological filtering" checkbox

Step 4. Click the "OK" button.

Currently supported hot keys:

F1: displays the available hot keys

8 : Aerial perspective/atmospheric
M : Audio
1 : Bullet Physics debug
2 : Bullet physics collision
C : Camera toggles unlocking from fixed camera path. Move with left mouse button pressed, zoom with mouse wheel
D : Depth-of-field
E : Emissive
Esc : Exit
G : Ghosting
F : Lens flare
K : LUT
L : Lights
, : (comma) cycle through various LUTs when LUT is enabled
P : Pause
9 : Reflection
] : jump forward to next shot
[ : jump backward to previous shot
R : Restart
T : Switch render target forward (color, normal, ambient occlusion, emissive, standard)
Y : Switch render target backward
W : Wireframe
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:19 PM   #10
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

LOL, it also runs on GTX 580.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:05 PM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
LOL, it also runs on GTX 580.
Why wouldn't it? It uses open standards and non-proprietary technologies...
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:08 PM   #12
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Why wouldn't it? It uses open standards and non-proprietary technologies...
The HK2207 demo requires Windows Vista® or above operating system, a Radeon™ HD 6900 Series graphics processor and associated Catalyst™ software, a dual- or quad-core CPU, and 2GB of RAM.

Remove the bolded video card named above and replace with "Any Direct X 11 supporting video card".

Last edited by moshpit : Dec 17, 2010 at 07:14 PM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:31 PM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Hey, marketing is marketing
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:55 PM   #14
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Hey, marketing is marketing
And it could have been worse. They could have locked it to a driver detect like a certain other company does.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 01:20 PM   #15
Hippo
Radeon HD 5850

Hippo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
And it could have been worse. They could have locked it to a driver detect like a certain other company does.
Your talking about Nvidia right?... It has to be Nvidia 'cause thats what they do. Yea it's Nvidia.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:30 PM   #16
seastar
Radeon R200

seastar is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
Your talking about Nvidia right?... It has to be Nvidia 'cause thats what they do. Yea it's Nvidia.
Matrox did it also, remember the fish tech demo
seastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:31 PM   #17
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Is there a benchmark mode to it? I wonder who can do bullet physics faster, AMD or Nvidia?
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:38 AM   #18
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar View Post
Matrox did it also, remember the fish tech demo
iirc that was because at the time (G400?) was the 1st and (iirc) only to have support for Environment Mapped Bump Mapping, it was not a matter of locking competition out.

edit oh you're talking about the Matrox Parhelia Reef demo, didn't it use PS 1.4 and at the time only the R8500 was able to run it (although very slowly) ?

Last edited by @md_Guy : Dec 19, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
@md_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:07 AM   #19
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
iirc that was because at the time (G400?) was the 1st and (iirc) only to have support for Environment Mapped Bump Mapping, it was not a matter of locking competition out.

edit oh you're talking about the Matrox Parhelia Reef demo, didn't it use PS 1.4 and at the time only the R8500 was able to run it (although very slowly) ?
Negative. Parhelia launched in 2002, Geforce 4 came out around that point. GF 4 Ti supported SM 2.0/2.0A and could eat Parhelia alive in EMBM performance. I loved the Ti 4400, amazingly tweakable card.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:25 AM   #20
Kidra
Radeon R100

Kidra is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Negative. Parhelia launched in 2002, Geforce 4 came out around that point. GF 4 Ti supported SM 2.0/2.0A and could eat Parhelia alive in EMBM performance. I loved the Ti 4400, amazingly tweakable card.
http://beyond3d.com/resources/chip/8

Nope GF4 Ti could only do PS 1.3 The First chip that supported SM 2.0 was R300 (Radeon 9700 Pro).

However it seems that Parhelia also wasn't SM 1.4 compliant (though I also remembered incorrectly that it was).
Kidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:38 AM   #21
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidra View Post
http://beyond3d.com/resources/chip/8

Nope GF4 Ti could only do PS 1.3 The First chip that supported SM 2.0 was R300 (Radeon 9700 Pro).

However it seems that Parhelia also wasn't SM 1.4 compliant (though I also remembered incorrectly that it was).
Oops, shows trusting the first page of Google isn't always advisable, lol! I guess we both got bit on that one
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:47 PM   #22
seastar
Radeon R200

seastar is still being judged by the masses

You were only able to run that reef demo with a 3rd party patch, If i remembered correctly you couldn't run it directly.
seastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:56 PM   #23
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar View Post
You were only able to run that reef demo with a 3rd party patch, If i remembered correctly you couldn't run it directly.
You do remember correctly. It could be run on any D3D supporting card using a wrapper package. I still have all that on one of my ancient archive disks around here somewhere.