Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:30 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Shadowless The Builder

okay, over the next week or so i am going to be getting a job and since im an electronics freak my salary will be divided into three sections... small section 1) cell fone bill (~50$/month) large section 2) my girlfriend (Because I refuse to let her pay for anything) and the best 3)the new gaming rig.

Specs:
Case: Black Chieftec Dragon w/windows
PSU: 450w Austin/Foxconn (comes with case)
Motherboard: Asus P4P800
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4CGHz
RAM: 2x256mb PC3500 GeIL Dual DDR
HDD: 80gb Seagate SATA
Optical Drive 1: Black Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM
Optical Drive 2: Black Lite-On 52x CD-R/RW
Sound: SB Audigy 2
Speakers: Creative Inspire 5200 Dolby 5.1 (currently own)
Video: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
cost: ~$1100

Now, this leaves my 2400+ without a purpose. I was thinking of turning my 2400+ into a house server, running everything from it so on. here's the specs (upgrading some stuff from current)

Specs:
Mobo: Epox 8rda+(upgraded from MSI K7N2G-L)
CPU: Athlon XP 2400+
RAM: 2x512mb PC2700 Kingston (upgraded from 512mb)
HDD1: 80gb WD800JB
HDD2: 40gb WD400JB
HDD3: 120gb WD1200BB
Optical Drive: Samsung 40x CDRW
Video: GFFX 5200
Sound: SB Live! 5.1

Now, i would like to know what other hardware i need, i currently have the Linksys BEFSR41 4-port Cable/DSL Router w/4-port switch. If I have to get another router or something it has to have a DHCP server because my dad's laptop is a *****. And i can't change any of the OSes. All computers on the network will be running Windows XP. So anyone who has to offer ANY suggestions on anything I just mentioned, drop one (Any advice on gaming rig is more than welcomed, wanna keep price under 1200 though). Thx
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro

Last edited by Shadowless : Jun 25, 2003 at 11:50 AM.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 12:14 PM   #2
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

unless it s cheaper than a regular ide dont bother with sata a WD special is just as fast

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 12:15 PM   #3
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

also i ve been hearing stories of lite ons breaking down fast so i give the drive a ? as of late the other reason i went TDK again

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 25, 2003, 04:13 PM   #4
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalfthegrey
also i ve been hearing stories of lite ons breaking down fast so i give the drive a ? as of late the other reason i went TDK again
Heh your 52x TDK burner is a rebadged LIteOn (I have one too).

Shadow your specs look good, I'd just say ditch the OEM PSU's if you can, they're nothign but headaches in the long run.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 04:30 PM   #5
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
Shadow your specs look good, I'd just say ditch the OEM PSU's if you can, they're nothign but headaches in the long run.
I wanna get a 460w Enermax or an antec Tru430 but that's the last thing I will buy because the OEM PSU isn't that bad.
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 09:19 PM   #6
citywok
Radeon Caribbean Islands

citywok is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalfthegrey
io had 2 trays break on my liteon40x
citywok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 01:30 AM   #7
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally posted by Parisioa
io had 2 trays break on my liteon40x
Maybe you should go easy on the cupholders

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote