Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:25 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
hobs0n
Radeon Arctic Islands

hobs0n is still being judged by the masses

Default w00t, just bought a Samsung TFT 242 MP :D

Since I got a lot (in my view) of money by the insurance company for my accident/beatup I just bought a Samsung TFT 242 MP as a kind of reward Damn nice having window run in 1920x1200 WoW and Farcry works perfectly in that res too And DAMN the picture is sharp, good colors and light. It has gotten best-in-test on a couple of pages I checked so thats why I bought it

Cant find it on the Samsung.com site, the Swedish Samsung have it tho Whats the deal with that? Doesnt this screen exist in some countries?
Kohina Radio and Slay Radio are great Chip Music Radio Stations.

Jeroen Tel, Rob Hubbard and Galway - the computer equivalent of Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. Quoted from doctorbubble from youtube.

Public Service FTW!
hobs0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:11 AM   #2
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

lucky bastered

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:16 AM   #3
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

P1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird sings

Wouldn't Dell 2405FPW be considerably cheaper?

Congrats!
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 27, 2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Accident/beatup ?

what happend.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Ghost_™
Exit 2006, Novi Sad

Ghost_™ is still being judged by the masses

Nah i don't like it... to bulky ot fit on my desk... and i don't like UBER SIZED monitors.. i mean is't the point of LCD to be considerably thinner than CRT? anyway my NEC 90GX2 satisfies me
Ghost_™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:45 PM   #6
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter
Accident/beatup ?

what happend.

I'll let hob's explain it... It's not pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:01 PM   #7
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I thought you were gonna buy a big screen LCD.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:16 PM   #8
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
Them's fightin' words

Congrats Hobson! May the new monitor bring you as much manches as you can handle
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:42 PM   #9
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran
Them's fightin' words

Congrats Hobson! May the new monitor bring you as much manches as you can handle

huh? I was refering to this: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33841351

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 12:37 AM   #10
Ady
Radeon Southern Islands

Ady is still being judged by the masses

Awesome buy Hobson!! Well done, enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Said53
LOL I GONA GO TO REAL HISTORY WHIT THIS THREAD I LOVE MY PENIS
Ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 02:11 AM   #11
hobs0n
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter
Accident/beatup ?

what happend.
Long story, jasef and another friend and me were out partying in Uppsala, Sweden. Jasef created this thread for it: http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33828319

Jeroen Tel, Rob Hubbard and Galway - the computer equivalent of Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. Quoted from doctorbubble from youtube.

Public Service FTW!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 02:13 AM   #12
hobs0n
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
Yeah well, not anymore. Read the end of this thread: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33841351

The 242MP is kind of sucky in many ways..

Anyone know which 23+ widescreen LCD is the best one?

Public Service FTW!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 03:09 AM   #13
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Sundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

congrats hobson!!!
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 06:12 AM   #14
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

P1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobs0n
Anyone know which 23+ widescreen LCD is the best one?
Yup. Check my post above.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 06:57 AM   #15
phial
no things

phial is still being judged by the masses

wow very nice!!!... man that probably cost more than my whole PC
Old Jan 30, 2006, 09:07 AM   #16
hobs0n
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r
Yup. Check my post above.
The Dell 2405FPW is better? Tell me about that one and give me links to web sites that test different screens. This time I have to be 102.99% sure that the 23+ Widescreen IS really good!

Public Service FTW!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 09:10 AM   #17
switchAMG
Radeon Arctic Islands

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
The Dell 2405FPW is better? Tell me about that one and give me links to web sites that test different screens. This time I have to be 102.99% sure that the 23+ Widescreen IS really good!
A Dell LCD / Plasma is pretty much a Samsung with a Dell badge. I own a 42" Dell Plasma HDTV and it is pretty much identical to my friends 42" Samsung, only mine was much cheaper.
switchAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 03:53 PM   #18
hobs0n
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchWRX
A Dell LCD / Plasma is pretty much a Samsung with a Dell badge. I own a 42" Dell Plasma HDTV and it is pretty much identical to my friends 42" Samsung, only mine was much cheaper.
Aha.. Hm where will I found this Dell screen then? I cant find in any swedish site

Public Service FTW!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 05:09 PM   #19
switchAMG
Radeon Arctic Islands

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Aha.. Hm where will I found this Dell screen then? I cant find in any swedish site
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/to...=se&l=sv&s=gen

switchAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 05:23 PM   #20
hordaktheman
Radeon Caribbean Islands

hordaktheman is still being judged by the masses

Just be aware that the Dell 2405fpw isn't HDCP enabled (as far as I know), something that is needed if you intend to hook up a hi-def DVD / Bluray player in the future without having it downscale the image, and is supposedly going to be built into Windows Vista.

I don't know the specifics, but keep it in mind.
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 01:21 AM   #21
hobs0n
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchWRX
Doh, didnt even think of trying to search for it the Dell sites >_< Thanx

Well that one seems really ****ing fat Too bad its only 14ms. I guess my Geforce 7800GT wouldnt be able to handle 2560x1600 tho ? And I also guess since the screen is made to run that res it would ugly if I run it in 1920x1200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordaktheman
Just be aware that the Dell 2405fpw isn't HDCP enabled (as far as I know), something that is needed if you intend to hook up a hi-def DVD / Bluray player in the future without having it downscale the image, and is supposedly going to be built into Windows Vista.

I don't know the specifics, but keep it in mind.
Hmm how would I use a dvd player on this screen then? I guess it doesnt have HDMI connection?

Public Service FTW!
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:26 AM   #22
hordaktheman
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Doh, didnt even think of trying to search for it the Dell sites >_< Thanx

Well that one seems really ****ing fat Too bad its only 14ms. I guess my Geforce 7800GT wouldnt be able to handle 2560x1600 tho ? And I also guess since the screen is made to run that res it would ugly if I run it in 1920x1200?

Hmm how would I use a dvd player on this screen then? I guess it doesnt have HDMI connection?
The 30 inch Dell? Stay away from the 3007 WFP as it only has one single connector, which is a HDCP enabled DVI-D connection. If you're looking to use the monitor for anything more than just connecting your computer, I'd skip out on that monitor altogether.

The Dell 2405fpw has component, composite, s-video, VGA, and non-HDCP enabled DVI, so connecting a regular DVD player to that is not a problem (no SCART though). The only fault that I can see with it is the lack of HDCP to futureproof it, because no one really knows how it's going to play out, and you may not be able to play HD-DVD and BluRay movies at full resolution on it.

If you still want a Dell, you should wait for the 2407fpw, which should be an updated version of the above, with added HDCP support. Either that or start looking for a non-Dell screen, as I'd avoid both the currently available ones if you want to play it safe.

To answer your original question, a HDCP enabled DVI-D connector is roughly equivalent to HDMI minus the sound, and you can get converter/splitter cables to deal with that. Being digital, there shouldn't be any loss of quality.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:57 AM   #23
hobs0n
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordaktheman
The 30 inch Dell? Stay away from the 3007 WFP as it only has one single connector, which is a HDCP enabled DVI-D connection. If you're looking to use the monitor for anything more than just connecting your computer, I'd skip out on that monitor altogether.

The Dell 2405fpw has component, composite, s-video, VGA, and non-HDCP enabled DVI, so connecting a regular DVD player to that is not a problem (no SCART though). The only fault that I can see with it is the lack of HDCP to futureproof it, because no one really knows how it's going to play out, and you may not be able to play HD-DVD and BluRay movies at full resolution on it.

If you still want a Dell, you should wait for the 2407fpw, which should be an updated version of the above, with added HDCP support. Either that or start looking for a non-Dell screen, as I'd avoid both the currently available ones if you want to play it safe.

To answer your original question, a HDCP enabled DVI-D connector is roughly equivalent to HDMI minus the sound, and you can get converter/splitter cables to deal with that. Being digital, there shouldn't be any loss of quality.
Ok thanx for the information. That would be kickass nice to have a PC screen that can also be a DVD screen

So if I use the HDCP DVI-D connector with a converter/splitter to get it connected to my home cinema stereo, the sound will still be digital and be not ****ed up when its using a splitter/converter cable? And how good quality will this PC screen play DVD movies with? I mean, it sounds like a PC screen shouldnt be good at playing DVD movies from real DVD players..

Public Service FTW!
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:38 PM   #24
hordaktheman
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
So if I use the HDCP DVI-D connector with a converter/splitter to get it connected to my home cinema stereo, the sound will still be digital and be not ****ed up when its using a splitter/converter cable?
I think not. As far as I know, the HDCP protection part only applies to the image, not the sound.

Quote:
And how good quality will this PC screen play DVD movies with? I mean, it sounds like a PC screen shouldnt be good at playing DVD movies from real DVD players..
I don't have any personal experience with it, but judging by random threads I've seen on the net, image quality through component is pretty good. I don't want to make any judgements on it, so I'll leave that to others with more experience.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:42 PM   #25
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Yeah but for anyone who does buy a HDTV capable screen, do your self a favour and at least get one with HDCP. For example, all HD-DVD players and Bluray players and SKY HD in the UK will be HDCP only.

So basically unless you have HDCP enabled tv's your possibly never going to experiance high definition films .
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:45 PM   #26
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Just noticed the Dell 24" TFT is now £939.94 It used to be like £650 Well there goes my future Monitor out the window. It was going to be a part of a WHOLE new pc for when vista and Directx10 is out but damn thats pricey.

OMG the bastards

now i know why.

Quote:
Hi there

Unfortunately DELL have decided to stop selling their monitors. You can now only buy a DELL monitor from their actual website as they refuse to sell to companies at the moment due to them basically not selling any on their own site.

OcUK still has large stocks but from now on we will be the same price as DELL with the advantage been you get 4yr warranty and next day delivery from us.

An end has come to cheap DELL monitors I am afraid, we will discuss with DELL further to see if anything can be sorted but for the moment if you want a DELL monitor you pay full price unless you can find anywhere else that still has stock who have not yet increased pricing.

Last edited by SirBaron : Jan 31, 2006 at 12:49 PM.
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 05:50 AM   #27
hobs0n
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Baron
Just noticed the Dell 24" TFT is now £939.94 It used to be like £650 Well there goes my future Monitor out the window. It was going to be a part of a WHOLE new pc for when vista and Directx10 is out but damn thats pricey.

OMG the bastards

now i know why.
Hm I hope this doesnt mean that I cant check out and buy the Dell 2407WFP screen..

Public Service FTW!