Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

Old Apr 2, 2022, 06:02 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwards

Default Gamma incorrect in Windows 10

I don't know what is causing this but it could be one of the March updates for Windows 10 as I don't recall this happening before that timeframe. Basically, gamma and/or brightness seems off in Windows 10 now. For example, in Apex Legends while in the Firing Range, the place you spawn in is a cave and supposed to be dark and hard to see. Yet I can see everything clearly. I have attached a screenshot. You are not supposed to be able to see the walls and the end of the cave like this.

I haven't changing any setting related to brightness and/or gamma in Windows 10 or on my monitor.

And it's not just Apex Legends (the only game I've tried so far) as even just using Windows 10 everything seems to have a slightly elevated brightness.

Any ideas? I tried rolling back my NVIDIA drivers and it made no difference.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2022, 06:34 AM   #2
Ravens Nest
R380

Ravens Nest once held a door open for a complete strangerRavens Nest once held a door open for a complete strangerRavens Nest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Maybe try changing the "output dynamic range" setting within the Nvidia control panel "change resolution" tab?

Last edited by Ravens Nest : Apr 3, 2022 at 06:39 AM.
Ravens Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2022, 08:33 AM   #3
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwards

It was on the NVIDIA default setting of "Full". I tried changing it to "Limited" and my black wallpaper turned gray. Put it back to "Full".

By the way, I have Discord on my PC and iPhone. When I open Discord on both, the gray colored areas of the Discord app are much brighter on my PC compared to my iPhone. They used to be the same tint/color.

Also, it seems the rest of the colors are still fine. It just that grays are elevated in brightness and not as "deep". Basically, gray colors seem light gray now.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 3, 2022, 09:03 AM   #4
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Getting the same issue in Safe Mode as well.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 09:16 AM   #5
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Not sure if this matters, but I did shift my PC to another room about a week ago. Settings and cable hook-ups are same though.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 09:19 AM   #6
Munkus
Official taste-tester

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Not sure if this matters, but I did shift my PC to another room about a week ago. Settings and cable hook-ups are same though.
It could matter. Does your monitor use ambient light to determine gamma, brightness, etc? There should be a setting in the OSD to turn that off.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote