Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Feb 17, 2021, 11:05 AM   #631
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Haha touché, yeh at first I didn't mind but now I skip them. I have no idea what's going on now, I just deliver them packages..
I can't tell if you're serious or not.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2021, 03:35 PM   #632
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

So my iiyama G-Master Red Eagle 34" 3466WQSU 3440x1440 arrived this morning. Just got it installed and tried a few benchmarks. I ran the last Tomb Raider and it offered me DLSS for the first time so I enabled it and ran the benchmark.

This is only my opinion but I preferred it with no DLSS it just looked better to my old and knackered eyes with reading glasses on. I'm just using out of the box settings so might tweak it later and try again. I also get the DLSS option in COD:CW but I've not tried it yet. Very happy with the monitor TBH.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2021, 04:12 PM   #633
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

That title is utilizing Dlss 1.0 and was sort of a mixed bag from a quality perspective. The key for most of the positive fanfare on quality and flexibility is with titles using Dlss 2.0 and 2.1.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 17, 2021, 04:46 PM   #634
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
That title is utilizing Dlss 1.0 and was sort of a mixed bag from a quality perspective. The key for most of the positive fanfare on quality and flexibility is with titles using Dlss 2.0 and 2.1.
Fair enough I'll try COD:MW at some stage with DLSS.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 09:27 AM   #635
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Nioh 2 got DLSS support in the latest patch, which is pretty odd considering that the vanilla game has no AA support.

So I guess this might be one of those games that looks better with DLSS enabled since that is the only way to get proper AA.

Last edited by Mangler : Feb 18, 2021 at 09:35 AM.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 09:58 AM   #636
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Nioh 2 got DLSS support in the latest patch, which is pretty odd considering that the vanilla game has no AA support.

So I guess this might be one of those games that looks better with DLSS enabled since that is the only way to get proper AA.
Right.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 06:05 PM   #637
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
This is only my opinion but I preferred it with no DLSS
DLSS 1 is very poor quality. Look for titles with DLSS 2.0 or newer.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 05:53 PM   #638
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Well I just bought my first DLSS/Ray Traced game.

Soon I will see what the fuss is about.

The game is Control Ultimate Edition.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 07:15 PM   #639
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
Well I just bought my first DLSS/Ray Traced game.

Soon I will see what the fuss is about.

The game is Control Ultimate Edition.
Well good choice there! Enjoy.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2021, 05:34 AM   #640
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
That's why I stuck with 1440p and got the G7. Even though nunz thinks I'm a peasant.
I have 22 1080p monitor and Samsung 43" 4K hooked up to PC, and similar bracket 8 year old or sth Samsung 40" 1080p hooked to PS4 Pro, and I did some comparisons of both TVs, peasant eye test at below 2m distance. Ofc 1080p with DSRx4 no smoothness and at least FXAA/ SMAA.

Games with MSAA enhanced by TRSS like DCS, Total Wars, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally etc etc generally look better on 4k, with exceptions like PCars 2 for example.

Games with FXAA/ SMAA only like Destiny 2, look much better on 1080p with DSRx4. It's sth like 2560 detail/ sharpness wise but stabilised and brought together by SSAA. On 4k it's just high res but dirty, not to the same extent with every game, but looks acceptable at best and looses the wow factor the supersampled image has.

The consequence of the above is, on 1080p I can stick with FXAA/ SMAA, but on 4k I have to go TAA, which actually looks like lowering res. So yeah. Ofc there are better and worse implementations, but the bad are really awful, and the good are still bad enough that I'd rather use sth else.

Sharpened TAA, that's like going back towards FXAA territory.

End result, half my games I play on the 1080p monitor with DSR, despite the fact that I much prefer the TV from the couch and less eye strain, spine problems etc.

Also, even just 1080p with 4xMSAA enhanced by TRSS mostly still looks great. People who claim it's a peasant res probably switch to 1080p on their 4k screens without integer scaling, and think that's what 1080p looks like heh. Or last thing they've seen was 1080p with TAA, which looks like 640x480.

So yes, good call, there's more to IQ than res, there are diminishing returns to it atm (games ofc not videos of RL), gfx power isn't there yet (sensible heh) and the problem of deferred rendering and antialiasing is still unsolved, leading to costly solutions.

All to my peasant eye only though.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.

Last edited by Ziklitschli : Apr 16, 2021 at 06:15 AM.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2021, 08:19 AM   #641
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

So 1080p with it's fixed number of 1920 x 1080 pixels AND FXAA / SMAA looks better than 3840 x 2160. Okay.....

Seems what you're really comparing is supersampling effect of DSR against native FXAA/SMAA. This just cleans up the image but you're still pixel limited/. You could do the same (at a lesser extent) at 4k as well.

Having both a gaming PC in the office and living room I'd always play on my 65" 4k tv rather than my 27 1440p office pc. Except for competitive games like Watch Dogs 2 (an FXAA/MSAA/SMAA only game) which I do in the office. WD2 looks so much better on my 4k TV but I live with 1440p on the other computer to maintain that competitive advantage. No amount of DSR would make WD2 look better than it's 4k counterpart, and jaggies are far more noticeable regardless of AA method just because my eyes are a foot or two away from the screen (so I can see and kill those little moving pixels that are players in the distance without having to use my scope )
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2021, 09:45 PM   #642
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
So 1080p with it's fixed number of 1920 x 1080 pixels AND FXAA / SMAA looks better than 3840 x 2160. Okay.....

Seems what you're really comparing is supersampling effect of DSR against native FXAA/SMAA. This just cleans up the image but you're still pixel limited/. You could do the same (at a lesser extent) at 4k as well.

Having both a gaming PC in the office and living room I'd always play on my 65" 4k tv rather than my 27 1440p office pc. Except for competitive games like Watch Dogs 2 (an FXAA/MSAA/SMAA only game) which I do in the office. WD2 looks so much better on my 4k TV but I live with 1440p on the other computer to maintain that competitive advantage. No amount of DSR would make WD2 look better than it's 4k counterpart, and jaggies are far more noticeable regardless of AA method just because my eyes are a foot or two away from the screen (so I can see and kill those little moving pixels that are players in the distance without having to use my scope )
I did some playing around back in the day and found that both games I tried , the division and AC Unity, both actually looked better on a 4K tv with screen mirroring of a 1080p monitor at 4x DSR than native 4K on the same tv.

I do think the upscaler in the tv played a role in that though.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2021, 08:37 AM   #643
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
What? Where did I write this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziklitschli
Ofc 1080p with DSRx4 no smoothness and at least FXAA/ SMAA.
That's planets away and a world of difference in another universe.

Now, for games with not much specular and shadow aliasing and bad FXAA, 1080p MSAA x8 + TRSS vs 4k FXAA I might go for the former.

Did you go for 1600x1200 no AA instead of 1024x768 with 4x AA back in the day? I sure didn't and aliasing was less visible on CRTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed
Seems what you're really comparing is supersampling effect of DSR against native FXAA/SMAA.
Yes in practice 1080p 2x2SS + FXAA vs 4k FXAA. Like I said, it looks like stable 2560 vs dirty 4k and stabilty trumps res for me.

There's no res in the world anyway that will fix sth like Dark Souls 3 textures anyway heh. It's only more painful at 4k, hopefuly current gen games are made more with 4k in mind.

Quote:
This just cleans up the image but you're still pixel limited/. You could do the same (at a lesser extent) at 4k as well.
Ofc you are pixel limited. but less detail is culled when you supersample. It's not that much a problem at a right distance from the screen.

Your screens also aproach big for pixel pitch, especialy for sitting close. I won't go above 24" with 2560 and 43" with 4k. For me the key to increasing resolutions is the low pixel pitch, not big yeah screen. Ofc for 8k I'll go up an little like to 46" or maybe 50", but that's it.

And yes I DSR at 4k wherever possible, Dark Souls 2, Dawn of War 2 lately for example.

Quote:
No amount of DSR would make WD2 look better than it's 4k counterpart
2560 x4 DSR will handily beat 4k with FXAA every time, assuming you're not doing sth ridiculous like 24" 4k vs 27" 2560 heh.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.

Last edited by Ziklitschli : Apr 17, 2021 at 02:47 PM.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote