Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 19, 2021, 05:27 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Ordered. Should get everything by Tomorrow

Only thing I changed was popping up to the PRO over the Plus version of the mobo. Faster Ethernet, built in Bluetooth & Wifi 6 might come in handy at some point.

wifi is kind of a toss up, but bluetooth is def a good point, i have the b550 tuff gaming and keep the bluetooth on for controller etc..

if the b550 can do flck 1900, hopefully yours can too.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 05:51 AM   #32
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Think it’s mostly the processor and not so much the motherboard choice. The 5900X I got from you is a total dud though lol. I am running it at 1800 now because there was no benefit for doing 1866 except some benches here and there.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2021, 02:33 PM   #33
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Congrats man I wanted a 5800X when they came out but couldn't get one so went 3800X (from a vanilla 2700). I've got the X470 Pro and no complaints from me great mobo. Could see a justifiable reason to upgrade the mobo so didn't.

Regarding sound since I ditched my 5.1 surround system for a Creative SXFI gamer headset I couldn't be happier. Battle mode is awesome for games and the headset is great for movies etc.

As for heat sink I think the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 I bought is awesome. Here's a review of them both together. https://www.gamingcutter.com/cpus/no...rk-rock-pro-4/

Basically they're both great so you can't loose really.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 20, 2021, 10:50 PM   #34
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Congrats man I wanted a 5800X when they came out but couldn't get one so went 3800X (from a vanilla 2700). I've got the X470 Pro and no complaints from me great mobo. Could see a justifiable reason to upgrade the mobo so didn't.

Regarding sound since I ditched my 5.1 surround system for a Creative SXFI gamer headset I couldn't be happier. Battle mode is awesome for games and the headset is great for movies etc.

As for heat sink I think the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 I bought is awesome. Here's a review of them both together. https://www.gamingcutter.com/cpus/no...rk-rock-pro-4/

Basically they're both great so you can't loose really.

Let him buy a cooling "candy".Obviously the D15s is overkill for 5800x but is a person's pleasure to buy top of the line expensive premium things... :P

Last edited by badsykes : Sep 20, 2021 at 10:57 PM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:32 PM   #35
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

I probably shoupd have considered it. In Canada the prices are fairly close. I could save saved about a pizza's worth of cash (The BeQuiet! is about 20 Bux cheaper vs the D15S Choma.black I bought)

I have all the parts now. But work has been nuts, probably won't have the energy till Saturday to build.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2021, 01:16 PM   #36
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

FYI, use all the cooler you can on the 5800X. It will maintain its boost clocks indefinitely if you let it. The downside is that it will hit 90C+ easy if you let it, and I didn't want thermal inertia ever being a factor in downclocking.

I've resorted to running my CPU fan at 100% all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2021, 01:18 PM   #37
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
FYI, use all the cooler you can on the 5800X. It will maintain its boost clocks indefinitely if you let it. The downside is that it will hit 90C+ easy if you let it.

I've resorted to running my CPU fan at 100% all the time.
And this is why I recommended water cooling.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2021, 01:53 PM   #38
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I would still run at least the pump 100% all the time to maximise the benefits of using water. You still need a fairly beastly (280mm+ rads) water cooling setup to beat even a moderate air setup in noise or performance. Also, thermal inertia is worse with water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:

Last edited by metroidfox : Sep 21, 2021 at 02:00 PM.
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2021, 02:15 PM   #39
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
I would still run at least the pump 100% all the time to maximise the benefits of using water. You still need a fairly beastly (280mm+ rads) water cooling setup to beat even a moderate air setup in noise or performance. Also, thermal inertia is worse with water.
Do you have some links to testing that show this?

yoz
Old Sep 21, 2021, 02:43 PM   #40
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Gamers nexus goes way more in depth of course. Basically it's not so clean cut.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Sep 21, 2021, 02:55 PM   #41
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Still using all air cooling here and happy with my temps and performance. 3700X idles on average around 35-40C, and maxes around 55-60C when gaming with my Noctua NH-U14S.

Granted I'm not using a Zen 3 processor and they do run hotter than Zen 2. But I think with a good quality air cooler, and good airflow in your chassis you should be fine and pretty close to AIO water cooled temps.

Also no real need to OC the CPU anymore these days as there doesn't seem to be as much performance to squeeze out of current CPUs as there used to be.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2021, 02:58 PM   #42
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Gamers nexus goes way more in depth of course. Basically it's not so clean cut.
Will check out, TY.

Well if Steve uses liquid for all his builds.....

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Sep 21, 2021 at 03:06 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 03:13 PM   #43
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Will check out, TY.
Your welcome. It basically boils down to the D15 being able to get surprising close to about a 240mm AIO and just ousting the performance of many smaller AIO's when your trying to keep noise levels low. When you push all out, the D15 remains quieter and really close to AIO's overall.

System:
Old Sep 21, 2021, 03:24 PM   #44
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Your welcome. It basically boils down to the D15 being able to get surprising close to about a 240mm AIO and just ousting the performance of many smaller AIO's when your trying to keep noise levels low. When you push all out, the D15 remains quieter and really close to AIO's overall.

yoz
Old Sep 21, 2021, 06:44 PM   #45
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Quote:
Yep, it’s a beast of a cooler.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2021, 09:47 PM   #46
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Show us the tits?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 02:36 AM   #47
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Show us the tits?
I can show the bits, but I'm going to be drained all week. I couldn't even bring myself to play more than a round Apex today, so I can't see myself building till Saturday.

Quick little stacking of it all.

I almost forgot! I also went with 16x2 on the Trident Z Neo, to give me more space to upgrade later if needed.

System:
Old Sep 22, 2021, 07:17 AM   #48
acroig
Troll SMod

Very cool Trask, congrats.

yoz
Old Sep 22, 2021, 08:39 AM   #49
KAC
It might be gays!

Tight. Now build the damn thing and stop being a pussy.