Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Zeus 850W PSU

FTW quad 18A 12V rails Once again, cheaper than PC Power & Cooling
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

For the low low price of $300.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:20 PM   #3
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRoxen
For the low low price of $300.
Show me a comparable PSU for cheaper. 70A continuous power delivery on the quad 12V rails.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Chezus
^^

Chezus is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran
Show me a comparable PSU for cheaper. 70A continuous power delivery on the quad 12V rails.
The FSP Fortron 700W delivers 4x18A on the 12V for $170:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104015

And altough it says 15A in the newegg link it's actually 18A:
Quote:
[FSP]Grace: What I mentioned applies to the present Epsilon 600/ 700.

Yes, the present ones have been reclassified. Even though it says 15A, it's actually 18A (with Over Current Protection of 20A).
http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=69269

Chezus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:21 PM   #5
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezus
The FSP Fortron 700W delivers 4x18A on the 12V for $170:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104015

And altough it says 15A in the newegg link it's actually 18A:
http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=69269
Not according to Fortron

Oh, and maximum power delivery on the quad 12V rails is 45A. Compare that with 70A and I'm sure you can see why the Zeus is vastly superior.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:39 PM   #6
Chezus
^^

Chezus is still being judged by the masses

If you check the Hexus link it says: > [email protected]
So the claim is made by FSP (=fortron) themselves: "I have just talked to our PM in Taiwan regarding this. It shows max 15A at the moment but they have updated and passed the safety certificates on 18A already. The OCP is actually 20A."

And where does it state the max power delivery is 45A? Just curious

Anyway I still think this PSU is comparable especially at the low price of $170 .Ofcourse the Zeus is nice also and probarbly it even has some more power than the FSP 700W but the Zeus is also 130$ more expensive and I just don't think it's worth the extra $

and to be honest: Macci the oc-guru recommended me this psu as the best buy But if you really want to spend 300$ on a psu that Zeus will be a excellent choise also

Chezus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:41 PM   #7
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I'd rather show you how much I don't care

Last edited by Roxen : Jul 15, 2006 at 03:43 PM.
Roxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 08:14 PM   #8
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

I purchased the 700w version of this PSU.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...m_power_supply

It, too, has quad 12v rails although I couldn't find any mention of continuous amperage on the rails. Makes me wonder if its a marketing gimmick. Don't get me wrong, for ShaidarHaran it's important. He'll just have to wait for the rest of us to plumb the depths of his wisdom.

mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:58 PM   #9
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Not according to Fortron

Oh, and maximum power delivery on the quad 12V rails is 45A. Compare that with 70A and I'm sure you can see why the Zeus is vastly superior.
Negative.

On my very own FSP FX700-GLN's label it states:
Maximum combined current for the 12V outputs shall be 50A.

And as Chezus mentioned, the FX700-GLN could be reclassified as 18A max per 12 rail, & it likely will be eventually accordingly to FSP staff who post on Hexus.

Also, for those of you who don't know, the OCZ Gamestream 700W is identical to the FX700-GLN, just a different exterior.
And it is rated at the more accurate 18A per 12V rail.

I'd assume that if they ever got around to reclassifying the FX700-GLN, we'd have around 55A or more total max on the 12V rails.

That all being said, the Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF looks like an excellent option for those who want a longer e-penis, or in some incredibly rare cases, those who actually need a continous 70A max total on the 12V rails

n7

n7

Last edited by -n7- : Jul 15, 2006 at 11:04 PM.
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 02:04 AM   #10
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Well, for doing the calculations off the top of my head I'd say I was pretty damn close @ 45A. 50A is still a far cry from 70A continuous.

Silverstone > *

/end thread

damn it, I'm an admin of one forum and a mod of another and I can't end threads here. I should have honorary mod powers
Old Jul 16, 2006, 03:18 AM   #11
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

oh SH kekeke...

one 80mm fan FTL

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 03:24 AM   #12
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

When you've got Dual Xeon 5160's and Quad SLI in your system you don't much care how loud it is

Countdown starts soon
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:00 AM   #13
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

A l337 system like that deserves better than air cooling. And a well-built water/phase system should provide blissful silence marred only by the nauseating braying of your PSU

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:58 PM   #14
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

I will be water cooling at the very least. Looking at the Thermaltake Symphony for water cooling, for phase change I'm not so sure. I'd gotten my hopes up for OCZ's Cryo-Z system only to have them shattered.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:55 PM   #15
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703004

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-Quad SLI T1KW-4E EPS12V 1000Watts Power Supply 100 - 240V UL/ULC/CE/TUV - Retail

SLI Support - Nvidia SLI and ATI CrossFire Certified.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home/
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...W4E&view=about
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:06 AM   #16
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

PC Power & Cooling makes world-class PSUs, I think we all know that by now. Their products just aren't competitively priced though, IMHO.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:29 AM   #17
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
I will be water cooling at the very least. Looking at the Thermaltake Symphony for water cooling, for phase change I'm not so sure. I'd gotten my hopes up for OCZ's Cryo-Z system only to have them shattered.
Dude, you have the expertise to set up something far better than that Thermaltake POS...

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:31 AM   #18
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
Dude, you have the expertise to set up something far better than that Thermaltake POS...
It's really just the aesthetics and relative lack of maintenance that attract me to the Symphony.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:32 AM   #19
Zero
Sass hole

SH what's wrong with you man? First jumping nvidia now underperforming parts? Your account HAS been hacked!

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jul 17, 2006, 01:40 PM   #20
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
SH what's wrong with you man? First jumping nvidia now underperforming parts? Your account HAS been hacked!
Under-performing? It's not like I'll be able to o/c my dual Xeon rig.............
Old Jul 17, 2006, 05:57 PM   #21
Zero
Sass hole

I dunno, the heat transfer of that setup seems pretty mediocre, so why even go watercooling if it'll still be hot and loud...?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jul 17, 2006, 06:08 PM   #22
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I dunno, the heat transfer of that setup seems pretty mediocre, so why even go watercooling if it'll still be hot and loud...?
It may "seem" that way but reviews show otherwise. Have you looked at the specs of the unit? The pumps (yes, two pumps) would certainly be underpowered on their own, but they're not on their own
Old Jul 17, 2006, 06:52 PM   #23
Zero
Sass hole

That still only equals one half-decent pump, pair that with small bore tubing and inefficient waterblocks... I've never been impressed with TT esp their watercooling so I've yet to be surprised. Anyway pal, I'm just sayin it seems uncostumary for you to get anything not bleedin edge. Custom watercooling + blingin case FTMFW

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jul 17, 2006, 07:11 PM   #24
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

I dunno man, the reviews on this setup are pretty good. Here's one. If OCZ ever releases the Cryo-Z I'll buy it, until then decent water cooling should meet my needs.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:36 AM   #25
Zero
Sass hole

Those temps don't seem a bit high for watercooling to you? It obviously performs better than crappy heatsinks but for the money, you can definitely build something more efficient on your own.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jul 18, 2006, 09:38 AM   #26
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

Actually the Thermaltake Symphony is very good.
To get the temps lower you have to start looking at the case air flow in general.

Look at my Thermaltake Tai Chi Water Cooled Case from the same site.
The Tai Chi gets much lower temps but in reality it is the case that helps here.
The cooling method and waterblock is basically the same between the two systems.

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Revie...i-Chi/pg6.html

As you can see, performance wise, the Thermaltake Tai Chi case performs exceptionally well. I was surprised to see it surpass our Tt Symphony which is one of the more impressive water coolers I've ever seen.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:40 AM   #27
Zero
Sass hole

Christ swapping out the hoses alone (if you could change the fittings as well ) - without those restrictive quick disconnects - wil probably drop your temps a degree or two...

TT just has BAAAD watercooling design, I really don't get why people buy those systems...

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:18 PM   #28
jam2k

jam2k is still being judged by the masses

jam2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:45 PM   #29
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

What's the warranty on that Silverstone PSU? I can't seem to find it.

The Tagan is only 3 years it looks like.

The one in my sig is 5 years.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 01:50 PM   #30
WhAt3v3r
Radeon Northern Islands

WhAt3v3r is still being judged by the masses

PC Power and Cooling, nuff said. I will never try and save on a psu. It's like shopping for the "best bang for your buck" pacemaker, just better of going with the best......