Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Closed Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 03:17 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
and23
Radeon R420

and23 is still being judged by the masses

Default Is my Seasonic Tx-850W going bad? Shutdown once

Hi my pc: 10850K stock 4800mhz

2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP

Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium

Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming ( 2x8pin,2 separate pcie cables )

Asus Z490 Maximus

1 TB SSD

4 days ago…i launched Metro Exodus and during advertisement part,my pc just shutdown. I rebooted again and its fine again.

Happened after launching game on intro advertisements part.

My question is. It was psu issue or maybe other hardware?

I remember that when pc goes off ,pc case lights flickered for a second and then turned off completely. That flicker not happens when i shutting down pc manually.
I have checked to ON in bios: Automatic restart after power loss.

Also monitor flickered 10 seconds after shutdown.

In my room i had laptop on connected to other power cord in this moment, and in eventlogs there was not log about power mode changing to battery.So i think power was on in house. Also router plugged to wall dont turned off, because WIFI was active on laptop ,though.

Ok i am running now game and no shutdowns. Happened once 4 days ago. Also i have pc until march 2021 and thats like today never happened.

Is psu going just bad,rma or what you recommend for me. Thank you

It's not overcurrent protection getting triggered.
That causes complete shutdown of PSU needing power cycling to clear it.
I don’t have to flip switch.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 03:33 AM   #2
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

How old is the PSU?

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Jan 3, 2022, 03:38 AM   #3
and23
Radeon R420

Psu i bought in february 2021, so its new i will said.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 3, 2022, 08:28 AM   #4
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by and23 View Post
Psu i bought in february 2021, so its new i will said.
In my experience those shutdowns are always PSU related. I could reproduce it easily on AC: Odyssey for some odd reason.

Have you tried any other demanding games?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 03:39 AM   #5
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Seems to be anything. Not sure if it is PSU and you didn’t have the same problem again. Wait and see if it happens again and then we can help you diagnose.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 09:13 AM   #6
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Ok I'll bite...

Random Shutdowns are caused by one of two things.

1.) Power Related.
2.) Overheating

First question, was it only Metro where this occured??? If it is more then likely its not power. If it has occured in other games then possibly it could be power.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, Asus Strix 3080Ti OC, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Jan 3, 2022, 09:46 AM   #7
and23
Radeon R420

So i have pc since 2021 february. I tested for many hours:
1.3dmark port royal, time spy,fire strike
2.control
3.metro exodus enhanced
4.call of duty vanguard
5.quake 2 rtx
6.serious sam 4
7.battlefield 5
8.Unigine Heaven Extreme
9.Crysis 1,3 Remastered

No single shutdown. First shutdown happened 4 days ago when i started and launched Metro Exodus in advertisement intro part. Not happened again since.
Thats all.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 09:57 AM   #8
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post

First question, was it only Metro where this occured??? If it is more then likely its not power. If it has occured in other games then possibly it could be power.
I had a similar situation years ago that only affected one game that turned out to be a dying PSU. System randomly was just turning off but it would happen with only one of the games I was testing with, Dragon's Dogma. I can't remember all the other games I tried but there were at least 10, but I could only reproduce the shutting off with DD. Replaced the PSU and the problem went away.

So for some reason only certain games will sometimes expose a failing PSU.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:15 AM   #9
and23
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I had a similar situation years ago that only affected one game that turned out to be a dying PSU. System randomly was just turning off but it would happen with only one of the games I was testing with, Dragon's Dogma. I can't remember all the other games I tried but there were at least 10, but I could only reproduce the shutting off with DD. Replaced the PSU and the problem went away.

But how often you had shutdowns? I had one shutdown in 7 months in this game.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:18 AM   #10
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by and23 View Post
But how often you had shutdowns? I had one shutdown in 7 months in this game.
It started off as rarely, once in a while. But over time (couple months) it grew to happening pretty much any time I would try to play Dragon's Dogma.

RMA'd the PSU and when I replaced it in the PC the problem completely went away.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:24 AM   #11
and23
Radeon R420

Maybe check Assassin Creed Odysey i bought that game in past. ?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 06:01 AM   #12
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:

had something like that too, only with one game (Heroes & Generals) and not PSU-related, i'd get bluescreens or even hardlocks out of nowhere and only with this particular game on TWO complete different pcs. Never figured out why, i just stopped playing that game

As for the op, i'm curious to see what's the culprit here.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

Old Jan 4, 2022, 09:15 AM   #13
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
had something like that too, only with one game (Heroes & Generals) and not PSU-related, i'd get bluescreens or even hardlocks out of nowhere and only with this particular game on TWO complete different pcs. Never figured out why, i just stopped playing that game

As for the op, i'm curious to see what's the culprit here.
BSOD is generally not a sign of a PSU failing in my experience. More software/driver related.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:01 AM   #14
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
BSOD is generally not a sign of a PSU failing in my experience. More software/driver related.
that's why i wrote

Quote:
....and not PSU-related,....
still very strange, every single other game ran flawless. Well, whatever.

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:39 PM   #15
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post

Ok I'll bite...
Yeah, keeping an eye on this one.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 03:24 PM   #16
and23
Radeon R420

Tommorow i will test first time Cyberpunk 2077 and Watch Dogs Legion and i will post if any issues But thank you all for help and replies.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 05:30 PM   #17
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I'll post some **** when I get home.

I can't believe I'm doing this again.....
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, Asus Strix 3080Ti OC, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Jan 3, 2022, 07:41 PM   #18
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Since the issue in quesiton is not reproduceable I would say its not a hardware issue with the PSU. Re-running Metro would put the same load on the PSU each time. And since its only happened once I am guess it was a power surge.

You also state the monitor flickered after this occured tells me its a power surge. The notebook and router were probably more tolerant to the power surge. Now if you have it plugged in to a surge protect I would probably replace the surge protector.

What I would recommend a nice UPS. I personally use a Cyberpower 1500VA, it cleanse the power coming in, has a way better surge protection then your aveage surge protector and it has a battery backup. I have my PC ( in my sig ), monitor, modem/router and NAS plugged in to it on the battery side. It would take nearly 24 hours to use the battery up while gaming on it.
Closed Thread