Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:41 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Alec Baldwin fired prop gun that killed cinematographer, injured director.

https://abc7.com/rust-alec-baldwin-m...dent/11152944/

Quote:
SANTA FE, New Mexico (KABC) -- Actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop firearm that killed a crew member and left the director hospitalized on the set of a Western being filmed in New Mexico, according to the Santa Fe County sheriff.

Director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42, was rushed by helicopter to a local trauma center, where she died from her injuries, the sheriff's office said. Director Joel Souza, 48, was also injured and is hospitalized.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office says the two were shot during the filming of a scene involving a firearm. The incident remains under investigation and no charges have been filed at this time.
I wonder if this will be a repeat of what happened to Brandon Lee in the crow movie.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:47 PM   #2
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Jesus Christ....
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:23 AM   #3
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Sure why not. It’s a free country!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 22, 2021, 02:55 AM   #4
Capt. Picard
Radeon Northern Islands

Capt. Picard can recite pi backwardsCapt. Picard can recite pi backwardsCapt. Picard can recite pi backwardsCapt. Picard can recite pi backwardsCapt. Picard can recite pi backwardsCapt. Picard can recite pi backwardsCapt. Picard can recite pi backwards

Why TF do they have live guns on a movie set.

Isn't that why special effects exist to simulate the real thing so that people wouldn't have to die?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 05:59 AM   #5
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Picard View Post
Why TF do they have live guns on a movie set.

Isn't that why special effects exist to simulate the real thing so that people wouldn't have to die?

Wife read an account to me, and it WAS a prop gun. My guess would be that he fired the blanks at close range, which is not how they're to be used. Not giving the projectile enough time to lose energy.

Well-known hothead, he should get brought up on reckless endangerment charges at the very least. Push for manslaughter..

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 06:25 AM   #6
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
Wife read an account to me, and it WAS a prop gun. My guess would be that he fired the blanks at close range, which is not how they're to be used. Not giving the projectile enough time to lose energy.

Well-known hothead, he should get brought up on reckless endangerment charges at the very least. Push for manslaughter..
Huh? There hasn't been anything released about how the gun was fired or what range. Pushing for charges if he did nothing wrong would be ridiculous.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 06:29 AM   #7
Jay20016

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

Glad to see the jump to conclusions mat I gave you last Christmas is being put to good use.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 07:22 AM   #8
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

A Brandon Lee scenario feels more likely since two people got hit by the projectile.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 07:22 AM   #9
ATI FURY-OUS
WYSIWYG

ATI FURY-OUS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyATI FURY-OUS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i5 4690, Gainward GTX970 Phantom, 16gb ram, Gigabyte Z97X UDH3 mobo
ATI FURY-OUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 08:12 AM   #10
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

It’s happened before. Bias against Baldwin maybe? I don’t care for him either, but, like any other scenario, wouldn’t we want all the facts first?
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 09:13 AM   #11
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Huh? There hasn't been anything released about how the gun was fired or what range. Pushing for charges if he did nothing wrong would be ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post
Glad to see the jump to conclusions mat I gave you last Christmas is being put to good use.
This, let's see what the investigation finds.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 09:21 AM   #12
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Awful tragedy. Worst part is its happened several times in the past during movie productions. Why can't they figure out a better way to prevent this?
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 09:35 AM   #13
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

They kind of have done that, haven't some productions moved onto using realistic gaspowered airsoft guns and some cgi enhancements?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 09:38 AM   #14
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
They kind of have done that, haven't some productions moved onto using realistic gaspowered airsoft guns and some cgi enhancements?
That's good, but not good enough if some movies are still using the old method.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 09:38 AM   #15
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Awful tragedy. Worst part is its happened several times in the past during movie productions. Why can't they figure out a better way to prevent this?
Are there prop guns that actually shoot...nothing?

Like just makes a pop sound and spits out smoke?
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 09:39 AM   #16
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Are there prop guns that actually shoot...nothing?

Like just makes a pop sound and spits out smoke?
I would think so. But my guess is it takes away from the authenticity, probably looks obviously fake.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 09:51 AM   #17
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...r-set-n1282126

Quote:
Producer and actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun Thursday
Hollywood weapons expert Larry Zanoff said that when firearms are used as props in the television and movie industry only blanks — cartridges that do not hold bullets — are allowed on set.

Even so, there is a minimum safety distance of 20 feet in front of the muzzle because even with a blank, smoke and burning embers can get propelled out of the gun, he said.

“There should be nothing in front of it when filming is occurring with firearms,” Zanoff said.

The film's director of photography, Halyna Hutchins, 42, was killed, and director Joel Souza, 48, was injured when Baldwin, 63, discharged the stage firearm, the sheriff's office said in a statement Thursday evening.

Prop guns shoot blanks. Blanks at close range can still kill people.

And, even so... there's no reason to be pointing a prop gun at the CREW. If it was the actor in the scene with him, accident could be an explanation. No reason to be levelling even a prop (known potentially dangerous) gun at someone behind the cameras, let alone TWO people. Ergo, reckless endangerment, and that's true whether he was just joking around, being a raving asshole or following dangerous direction.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire

Last edited by koralis : Oct 22, 2021 at 10:37 AM.
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 09:56 AM   #18
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I wonder if they were shooting a close up barrel scene? Those are typically done with the camera man behind a shield of some sort. Blanks don't fire a projectile, but they do send a full rounds worth of energy out the end of the barrel. If anything is stuck in the barrel like in the case of Brandon Lee, that's coming out like a normal round would.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:02 AM   #19
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I can see koralis' point here. If there are rules/regulations for firing prop guns during filming that were not properly followed, someone may have been at fault. At the very least negligent.

Either way, I also agree no one should make any conclusions based on the info we have right now. Let them do the investigation and hopefully determine exactly what happened first.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:08 AM   #20
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Yuck. Terrible accident.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:37 AM   #21
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/a...nd-1235095349/

There was supposedly a single live round in that gun, what the actual ****
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:29 PM   #22
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/a...nd-1235095349/

There was supposedly a single live round in that gun, what the actual ****
An awful lot of speculation opens up after that. I’m just going to call it a really sad and tragic accident and bow out.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:47 PM   #23
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Real ammunition shouldn't be allowed anywhere on set. This was 100% preventable, and someone failed miserably at making sure that firearm was safe.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 01:04 PM   #24
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 01:07 PM   #25
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:

there is no projectile in a blank cartage
sometimes there is a wax cardboard disk but i don't think the movies use those just crimped blanks

with two people hit sounds more like live rounds got into a prop gun
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 01:13 PM   #26
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Thanks.

I like that he’s leaving the “How did a live round get loaded?” To the sheriff’s dept.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 01:25 PM   #27
Greasy
ODI

So they were behind a shield, but not one meant for a live round. That .45 or .44 would go through that like a hot knife in butter. Explains how a single round hit both too if he was standing behind her.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 01:50 PM   #28
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Thanks.

I like that he’s leaving the “How did a live round get loaded?” To the sheriff’s dept.
Yep. A live round should not have even been on the set, much less inserted into the gun instead of a blank. I hate speculating, but this seems intentional to me. I have a hard time believing that the props team would inadvertantly put a live round into the gun. There are policies and procedures in place to prevent that kind of "mistake" - such as not allowing live ammunition on a movie set.

I'm very interested to follow this investigation to see how the facts pan out. Either way, it sounds like Alec Baldwin is understandably devastated.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 01:58 PM   #29
xCLAVEx
LET'S GO BRANDON

xCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Yep. A live round should not have even been on the set, much less inserted into the gun instead of a blank. I hate speculating, but this seems intentional to me. I have a hard time believing that the props team would inadvertantly put a live round into the gun. There are policies and procedures in place to prevent that kind of "mistake" - such as not allowing live ammunition on a movie set.

I'm very interested to follow this investigation to see how the facts pan out. Either way, it sounds like Alec Baldwin is understandably devastated.
Alec is a prick, but I doubt he's the one responsible. Then the question would be...who and why?

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

"A man moaning in a pr0n sounds like a cow with a kidney stone."
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2021, 02:06 PM   #30
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Alec is a prick, but I doubt he's the one responsible. Then the question would be...who and why?
kink of the perfect crime if he did want to off someone

anyone else loading it on purpose but the guy holding the gun and it would be random who got shot
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote