Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:54 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Desperate for a Graphics Card? DON'T Do This

Old Jan 15, 2022, 03:12 AM   #2
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I'm going to do the opposite of whatever this sell-out recommends..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:56 PM   #3
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Which means you didn't even watch the thing.

For a long time, I avoided LTT/LMG stuff because of Linus' supposed reputation, then, earlier last year, I actually watched some of his and other LTT stuff...and got over it. Yeah, he's got the sponsor and merch game on lock, which is a major reason I assume you call him a "sellout", but, these days, you can't run a multi-million dollar media company, employing at least a couple of dozen people and doing what they do and want to do (see the upcoming LTT Labs) without steady money. That said, I've not seen him or any other LMG hosts be anything less than forthright and brutally honest when it comes to sponsors (and non-sponsors) f**king up and/or f**king consumers over (see Linus'/other LMG hosts' multiple calling-outs of Nvidia, for example). Yeah, he and some of the LMG hosts can be goofy sometimes, but it's entertaining and they mostly seem to be enthusiasts and gamers just like us who get to get paid doing it.

In any case, this video is pretty on-point.

Odyssey (main desktop): Listed on System Specs button
MediaBox (unRAID media server): Ryzen 7 3700X - 48GB DDR4-3200 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) - 1TB TeamGroup SATA3 SSD (cache drive) - 3 x 10TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro and 2 x 8TB Seagate BarraCuda HDDs (array storage drives), 10TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro HDD (array parity drive) - Cooler Master Centurion 590 case - Cooler Master 850W PSU

Last edited by Talon_262 : Jan 15, 2022 at 01:05 PM.
Talon_262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 15, 2022, 01:25 PM   #4
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

There is plenty of evidence showing LTT lack of knowledge, talking out of his ass, and lack of research on a variety of topics. I'm not the first to recognize it. His fanbase tends to be those more new to the PC Gaming scene because nothing he says is really profound. Usually I know about things long before he releases videos on it, and I'm not even an insider in the scene.

There is a massive issue in the Hardware community where guys like LTT have far too much influence with far too little expertise to be dishing out advice. Lots of the noobs take these YouTubers as gospel and they're getting led down some shitty roads. I'm not a fan of that.

If you enjoy his videos, that's fine, but I don't think his content brings much to the table.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2022, 01:56 PM   #5
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
😂 good call

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2022, 01:58 PM   #6
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

He isn't perfect. But I often like his stuff because it saves me having explain stuff allot of times. His content is approachable and usually well enough on point to not be an issue. Again, not perfect, but damned if he doesn't rock it better than allot of others.

So yes, I watch this content. I even purchased his low key stealth hoodie and the swacket.

*Edit*
Just watched this one. Nothing in this is really wrong, but it's more newb centric. Most of us would already know it.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2022, 02:01 PM   #7
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
There is plenty of evidence showing LTT lack of knowledge, talking out of his ass, and lack of research on a variety of topics. I'm not the first to recognize it. His fanbase tends to be those more new to the PC Gaming scene because nothing he says is really profound. Usually I know about things long before he releases videos on it, and I'm not even an insider in the scene.

There is a massive issue in the Hardware community where guys like LTT have far too much influence with far too little expertise to be dishing out advice. Lots of the noobs take these YouTubers as gospel and they're getting led down some shitty roads. I'm not a fan of that.

If you enjoy his videos, that's fine, but I don't think his content brings much to the table.
For "noobs" like me it's ok
I like his collegue (the big guy) who do troubleshooting educational videos.I love how he presents them.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:17 PM   #8
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I usually stick with Hardware Unboxed, Tech Jesus and JayZ. LTT is too annoying and I hate his tie in jokes which make me want to break my OLED.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:12 AM   #9
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
For "noobs" like me it's ok
I like his collegue (the big guy) who do troubleshooting educational videos.I love how he presents them.
Love Anthony...something about his voice is soothing.

I like Riley and Jake, too.

MediaBox (unRAID media server): Ryzen 7 3700X - 48GB DDR4-3200 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) - 1TB TeamGroup SATA3 SSD (cache drive) - 3 x 10TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro and 2 x 8TB Seagate BarraCuda HDDs (array storage drives), 10TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro HDD (array parity drive) - Cooler Master Centurion 590 case - Cooler Master 850W PSU
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:18 AM   #10
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
He isn't perfect. But I often like his stuff because it saves me having explain stuff allot of times. His content is approachable and usually well enough on point to not be an issue. Again, not perfect, but damned if he doesn't rock it better than allot of others.

So yes, I watch this content. I even purchased his low key stealth hoodie and the swacket.

*Edit*
Just watched this one. Nothing in this is really wrong, but it's more newb centric. Most of us would already know it.
Exactly...no need to let perfect be the enemy of the good.

Also, it's entertainment; it might not necessarily be everyone's cup of tea, but, to paraphrase MST3K's theme song, "it's just YouTube tech videos, I should really just relax".

Old Jan 17, 2022, 02:25 PM   #11
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

I never understood why people liked his videos. I'm not a fan of his presentation. But kudos to him for building a massive following, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I usually stick with Hardware Unboxed, Tech Jesus and JayZ. LTT is too annoying and I hate his tie in jokes which make me want to break my OLED.
Hardware Unboxed and Gamer's Nexus are GOATed.
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2022, 02:34 PM   #12
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
I never understood why people liked his videos. I'm not a fan of his presentation. But kudos to him for building a massive following, I guess.

Explain "GOATed" please ?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 02:40 PM   #13
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
Explain "GOATed" please ?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Goated
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:43 PM   #14
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2022, 01:32 AM   #15
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Leo from KitGuru deserves an honorable mention too. It's like watching Mr.Bean review hardware. Super knowledgeable and does everything from new hardware reviews to memory OC and custom water loops.

One thing I find about all of them though, is that they are all super critical of Nvidia and Intel. Perhaps with good reason, but just give me the data and let me make my own mind up. I didn't tune in for an op-ed.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 07:49 AM   #16
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

i think pc tech is the only industry where people allow and cheer on online “celebrities” for disguising sponsored content as legitimate reviews.

the excuse that this is how things are these days is BS… because channels like GN exist.
btw Jayz2cents isn’t much better than linustechtips.

imagine an automotive channel doing sponsored reviews on a particular brand , and calling themselves legitimate source on everything car related. they would be ridiculed.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 09:04 AM   #17
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Jayz and Linus isn't doing the same thing as "proper" tech channels like GN and the like, they are more focused on entertaining the viewer.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:05 PM   #18
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

One thing I rather like about LTT content is they make it really obvious, usually the whole way through a given video, if what they are using or looking at is sponsored by the same company or been given to them for free, it's not a production version etc etc.

I also like that they try to make it entertaining. If I want the info dry, I'll read it. Or take GamersNexus. I love GN, but often the content is super dry and boring. Which has it's place, but it also means I watch their content less often.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Jan 18, 2022, 03:52 PM   #19
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Jayz and Linus isn't doing the same thing as "proper" tech channels like GN and the like, they are more focused on entertaining the viewer.
Gamers Nexus is my goto.

Jayz and LTT are not that interesting to me.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2022, 04:11 PM   #20
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Subscriber

Quote:
One thing I rather like about LTT content is they make it really obvious, usually the whole way through a given video, if what they are using or looking at is sponsored by the same company or been given to them for free, it's not a production version etc etc.

I also like that they try to make it entertaining. If I want the info dry, I'll read it. Or take GamersNexus. I love GN, but often the content is super dry and boring. Which has it's place, but it also means I watch their content less often.
And, as I said above, Linus and crew are not afraid to rake sponsors (or anyone else in the tech industry) over the coals if it's warranted (as with Nvidia, for example).

Yeah, it's entertainment and, most of the time, they don't do real deep dives into the weeds on the products/tech they feature, but, to me, it can still be interesting, especially when it comes to industry trends. I do like that they tend to roll their own IT infrastructure (at LMG HQ and at Linus's house [his current one and the new one that's been under renovation/permit hell for months that he and his family still can't move into yet], for example) and show viewers how they do it.

Last edited by Talon_262 : Jan 18, 2022 at 04:17 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 05:23 PM   #21
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

i'm not saying LTT can't do what he's doing...have at it, hoss. but people posting his stuff pretending like his opinions should be taken seriously is laughable. being a mouthpiece for companies that can afford to pay him off isn't very appealing to me .
jayz2cents is even worse...he puts "sponsored content" in small text at the beginning of the video then pretends like he's doing a legitimate review. i d on't know about other people, but I sometimes just want to skip to the end where they post the numbers and talk about pros/cons etc...now I have to watch the whole thing to make sure it's not sponsored content to make sure i'm getting somewhat of an unbiased review? yeah, no thanks.

Last edited by Payne3d : Jan 18, 2022 at 05:29 PM.
Payne3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2022, 08:44 AM   #22
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

If you are desperate for a card. Bend over.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2022, 07:48 AM   #23
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
+1 here.

Those are my go-tos at this point. I watch LTT sometimes depending on the subject matter but GN and HU are my favorites for analysis.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:20 AM   #24
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
+1 here.

Those are my go-tos at this point. I watch LTT sometimes depending on the subject matter but GN and HU are my favorites for analysis.
Another +1 here as well. Easily my fav channels. Infact I personally boycotted nVidia's 3000 series line, although I still recommend it, because of nVidia trying to blacklist HU.

System:
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:37 AM   #25
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I like their monitor reviews, they are more thorough than most youtubers.

I also think they are one of the few of the large tech channels that actually brought up that the neo g9 is kind of garbage due to samsungs poor QC.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote