Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Oct 29, 2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Crippler
Sapphire Radeon HD5850

Crippler is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies Sapphire Radeon 5850 Fan Noise

Howdy,

Have a less than month old Sapphire 1GB 5850. Loving it so far except for one issue.

The fan is making a medium to slightly high pitched noise when on automatic fan control. Determined it was the fan by slowing it down slightly with my finger.

At Idle 21% speed it is noticable and annoying. When I use Manual Control and bump it to 30% the pitched noise is gone but the fan is louder as expected. Moving the slider from 21% to 29% to pitched noise is there, 30% its gone, anything above 30% it returns.

Is this usually normal? Came from a Palit Sonic Edition 48701GB non reference, havent heard a noise like this before.

Cheers
Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 04:41 PM   #2
kn00tcn
zero-zero

kn00tcn is still being judged by the masses

can you make a recording? my 4870x2 whines at very specific %s, but it shouldnt sound like an alarm or something
OpenGL startup crash fix #1 / fix #2 (for < radeon 6000 cards?)
better crossfire for Section8 Prejudice, Hydrophobia, UDK
kn00tcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Crippler
Sapphire Radeon HD5850

Crippler is still being judged by the masses

Not really alarmed like noise, but very irritating.

Ill see if i can make a recording. Shot off an email to Sapphire support also, see what they say.
Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:38 AM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

That's not normal.

All you should hear is the 70's batman TV theme song as the bat nostril funnel air over the special tuned tines of the VRM heatsinks.
(j/k)
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:02 PM   #5
poppachocks
Radeon R100

poppachocks is still being judged by the masses

Noisy or not, at least you know the fan is spinning

I ended up RMAing my Sapphire 5850 as the fan did not want to work unless I set the fan speed to manual in the CCC. As soon as I would set it to automatic, I would watch the rpm rate in CPUID drop down to 80-90 and the temp soar to 70c+. I could have lived with running it on manual, but sometimes even that would not work unless I kicked it all the way up to 100%, and then dropped it back. This was the second system I had put the card in so it was either the card or something flaky with the current drivers.

I know I agonized over returning it since they are so hard to come by, but having peace of mind that something is working properly is important.
poppachocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Melchior
RG SSAA ftw!

Melchior is still being judged by the masses

I think the 5770 uses the same "fan" in the heatsink. stock idle speed is 35% and it's nice and quiet there. It wasn't silent so I tried turning it down, but it started to whine immediately if it was below 34% speed, all the way down to the 20% minimum in the overdrive panel.
Lite-On Combo drive /WD Caviar Black 640gb
ATI x1800xl Sapphire 6570, yay ssaa again
M-audio Delta 410 | Magnepan MMGs
Corsair 650TX PSU
Melchior is offline   Reply With Quote