Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Jul 9, 2002, 04:30 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
afinman

afinman is still being judged by the masses

Angry Brightness or lack thereof in quake3 and wolfenstein

PLEASE HELP! I have (of course) an ATI Radeon 8500 64Mb which was humming along nicely until I installed my old Voodoo3 so that I can have 2 monitors hooked up.
I installed the old voodoo as my 8500 only has DVI-D not DVI-I so it only has one analogue output which is a little annoying, but I did get it cheap.
My new monitor is an iiyama pro454 19" CRT
RTCWolfenstein is SOOO dark, its almost unplayable!
I've tried changing the Game Gamma value in the display settings, but nothing happens in the game and the brightness slider in the game has no effect
I did (temporarily have the same problem in quake3 which I just fixed - the brightness slider was on like zero for some reason.
Any suggestions would be welcome
Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2002, 04:39 PM   #2
KillerQ

KillerQ is still being judged by the masses

I think that in the Wolfenstein`s ini file there is something like "IgnoreHardwareGamma 1" change it to 0 and the gamma slider will work.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 05:06 PM   #3
afinman

Tried that, found some info on rtcw.co.uk and it said about that sort of thing, but it all goes a little weird.

when doing /r_ignorehwgamma 0 the brightness level is still VERY weird and the ingame control disappears.
Even when its bright, it doesn't look right.
I've installed illustrator 9 and photoshop with adobe gamma, and also got a new monitor, but I could have sworn it all went funny after the monitor/addition of second graphics card.

Its really weird (I know I said that already) I can get the menus and the console drop down in the right brightness, but the game is pitch black. When I brighten the game, the menus look ridiculous and the console is practically unreadable.

Quake III was fine after I found the brightness bar and gave it a jiggle. I wonder what's wrong with wolfenstein.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 10, 2002, 08:07 PM   #4
hotzippers
Radeon R300

hotzippers is still being judged by the masses

So you have two cards installed?? If so thats your issue
Old Jul 10, 2002, 10:45 PM   #5
Kilgor
Radeon R200

Kilgor is still being judged by the masses

Try /r_overBrightBits 0. That should solve your problem.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 09:47 AM   #6
afinman

Thanks, the overbright thing's worked!
Old Sep 27, 2003, 04:37 PM   #7
dashrendar
Radeon Volcanic Islands

dashrendar is still being judged by the masses

One year, 2 months later...

In the *.cfg file, set ignorehwgamma to 0. The default is 1.

System: CPU AMD Athlon 64 3200+ X2 (OC'ed to 2.5GHz) - Mobo MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum - PSU Seasonic M12 600W - Video eVGA e-GeForce 8800GTS - Memory 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC4000 - Monitor Dell 24" 2407WFP - Sound Creative Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic - HD Maxtor Diamondmax 10 250GB - OS Windows XP SP2 (Dual Boot)

Founder/ Broadcaster/ Reviewer: CIN3MA.tv