Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jul 11, 2021, 07:31 PM   #901
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

nVidia

the image on the left is garbage. But the image on the right has an overly unrealistic reflection.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2021, 07:49 PM   #902
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

nVidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
One can tweak to your subjective taste.
like by pressing the 'off' button.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 08:56 PM   #903
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I love it when game engines let you tweak like that. Just pull down the console and flip switches

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 12, 2021, 08:32 AM   #904
Sound_Card
Banned

nVidia

Quote:
Sure!

It's just nice to know one can add more Ray Tracing detail and on more surfaces, if one desires it -- considering how efficient this engine is.
That would be like putting lipstick on a pig though based on those pictures. Lipstick is also subjective because half of these games are so so looking with Ray tracing. Though to be fair, Doom is pretty nice with RT.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 09:17 AM   #905
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
That would be like putting lipstick on a pig though based on those pictures. Lipstick is also subjective because half of these games are so so looking with Ray tracing. Though to be fair, Doom is pretty nice with RT.

If you think adding ray tracing is "so so" for half these games then I wonder what games you've been playing. Makes a big difference for example in Watch Dogs Legion (reflections only, makes a big visual difference walking through the streets), Metro Exodus (everything looks better since the last RTX update).
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:02 PM   #906
Sound_Card
Banned

nVidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
If you think adding ray tracing is "so so" for half these games then I wonder what games you've been playing. Makes a big difference for example in Watch Dogs Legion (reflections only, makes a big visual difference walking through the streets), Metro Exodus (everything looks better since the last RTX update).
yah so so. Sometimes it looks overly done. Sometimes it looks like a cheap HDR effect. Sometimes it looks just right. I'm not that drunk off the marketing buzz. The Nvidia shield on my post gives me protection.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 03:20 PM   #907
Sound_Card
Banned

nVidia

Quote:
That's a fair view, depends how it is implemented and subjective tastes differ. How many would utilize Ray Tracing without Dlss?
I probably would not use Ray Tracing on any form of FSR(DLSS) other than max setting 4k. This is a weird prelude to what is going to come in less than 10 years time (maybe 5), where we will have advanced FSR tech that would allow for real time bidirectional tracing.

Ray tracing in its current form is not impressive. No where near enough to buy graphics cards for how much they cost right now.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 04:09 PM   #908
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I don't know why anyone would buy a card right now just for Ray Tracing. Or buying one just for DLSS. There aren't enough games that support it. I mean...if someone wants to play with the latest/greatest features, then yeah...I get that.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2021, 05:03 PM   #909
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Well, you can't buy a new card now WITHOUT ray tracing support in hardware, so it's a moot point. All new cards have them from low end to high end. It would be your decision to turn it on or not.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 05:29 PM   #910
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Well, you can't buy a new card now WITHOUT ray tracing support in hardware, so it's a moot point. All new cards have them from low end to high end. It would be your decision to turn it on or not.
And they should or else the tech won't catch on. It's the obvious next place to go. Even if it's only to drive effects for now in what is mostly still rasterization.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2021, 07:29 PM   #911
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
And they should or else the tech won't catch on. It's the obvious next place to go. Even if it's only to drive effects for now in what is mostly still rasterization.
Exactly. It's basically just the next level of eye candy, so if you're the type that likes to crank up the detail settings then ray tracing is just like any other graphic option to turn on/crank up. It's standard hardware support on basically anything you can buy now be it AMD or Nvidia.

Ray tracing reminds me alot of pixel shading / bumpmapping back in the day. The early games supported the appropriate hardware like the Geforce / Savage 3D etc and those games looked amazing with it (think Giants Citizen Kabuto, Evolve, etc..) It wasn't much games at first but it eventually caught on. Same thing is happening now with ray tracing. The difference now though is that alot of AAA games support ray tracing or will support it on release, so that will help drive the move towards wider adoption in the long run.

Last edited by Exposed : Jul 12, 2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 08:15 PM   #912
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Great points Exposed.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2021, 07:22 AM   #913
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Great points indeed.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 07:32 AM   #914
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Great points indeed.
Your points are so big.....

yoz
Old Jul 13, 2021, 09:32 AM   #915
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Dlss update for Red Redemption 2 is out.
Nice....

yoz
Old Jul 17, 2021, 10:16 AM   #916
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Necromunda is the finest showing of FSR I've seen. The images are nearly indistinguishable aside from very small differences in shading that would not be noticeable during real gameplay.

If that's what we'll see standard from FSR, then that is excellent.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2021, 10:59 AM   #917
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

It's good but there are minor sharpening artefacts
Old Jul 17, 2021, 12:37 PM   #918
Sound_Card
Banned

Nvidia:
1080p DLSS vs FSR -
1440p DLSS vs FSR -
4K DLSS vs FSR -

Old Jul 18, 2021, 12:10 AM   #919
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Quote:
Nvidia:
1080p DLSS vs FSR -
1440p DLSS vs FSR -
4K DLSS vs FSR -

They must be screaming at the sharpening artifacts with FSR, because that's what it is...1600p upscaled plus sharpening.

DLSS still retains better detail at 4k than FSR. There's literally a ton of resources on this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 01:45 AM   #920
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I noticed even at 4K, FSR has some broken or missing detail like the mesh on her boobs in the video. With DLSS it looks like super sampled fishnet but with FSR there are whole chunks of fishnet missing and all pixelated. Youtube compression hides it a bit, I imagine it would be more noticeable in real time. Aside from that there are other sharpening artefacts like faint outlines and shimmering, but overall it's pretty minor and probably looks fine on TV at those sort of viewing distances.

The great thing about these techniques is that 4k+ is becoming a reality for everyone going forward.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 03:36 AM   #921
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Nvidia:
1080p DLSS vs FSR -
1440p DLSS vs FSR -
4K DLSS vs FSR -

"I don't care if I don't get unbanned on Rage3D I don't have time or care anymore for silly GPU Wars."

Old Jul 18, 2021, 07:31 AM   #922
Sound_Card
Banned

Well I am unbanned now, and it's a joke post mate. You can quit following me around (and talking about me) like my one of my ex's. : )

As for the other comments, I don't see fish boobs. Everything looks nearly identical besides DLSS being more faded and FSR being more sharp. Probably could be easily adjusted in future FSR upates.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 08:07 AM   #923
demo
space cadet

It's like FSR is missing information where as DLSS has super sampled and reconstructed it. Along with shimmering it's all through the video but youtube compression hides it well.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 10:37 AM   #924
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Nvidia DLSS vs AMD FSR (SMAA) // Graphics & Performance Comparison

https://youtu.be/8ML1jyUrhfc

You can tell the stark differences when zoomed in.

The artifacts or instability will shimmer while in motion.

Talk about shimmery. Look at the hair comparison at 0:42 and foliage at 2:42.

Another thing that bothers me is the over sharpening artefacts around objects, like a faint white line. Once you see it you cannot un-see it. Does AMD offer a way to adjust sharpening filter?
Old Jul 18, 2021, 10:40 AM   #925
Sound_Card
Banned

Quote:
Nvidia DLSS vs AMD FSR (SMAA) // Graphics & Performance Comparison

https://youtu.be/8ML1jyUrhfc

You can tell the stark differences when zoomed in.

The artifacts or instability will shimmer while in motion.
That's not an FSR issue, that's a SMAA issue.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 10:44 AM   #926
demo
space cadet

If you say so:

Old Jul 18, 2021, 11:17 AM   #927
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Is TAA+FSR not an option in avengers?

Going by the hair/beard in the native 4k+smaa sections, avengers is probably one of those games that relies on taa to render those effects properly, so using SMAA will always look wrong.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2021, 05:38 PM   #928
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete stranger

DLSS could be in trouble like so much of Nvidia's proprietary stuff that came before it.

I think the fact that FSR could work on ALL modern cards with not too much visual difference will be the strong point in it's potential adoption especially if AMD could improve it further.

Let's see how it plays out.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 09:18 PM   #929
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

DLSS will only be in trouble if AMD implements a similar AI restructuring approach. There's too many limitations and IQ drawbacks from just a spatial upscaler and sharpening function to claim it's going to best DLSS in the long term, while it still falls behind in IQ. Doesn't matter if it can work on any hardware, there's only so much a spatial upscaler can do and there's not going to be a future update that suddenly puts it on par with DLSS. AI image upscaling has proven its worth well outside the game segment and is only natural it will follow into gaming as well. So far Nvidia is the only one implementing this technology but that I believe will change in the next 3-5 years. Consoles won't get significantly faster and more demanding games will require better solutions to keep up.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 01:17 AM   #930
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

DLSS is dead .

just like G-Sync and like almost every other nvidia proprietary technology they have come up with
DLSS is even worse as it only works on RTX card that are still a minority in NV's own user base the 2000's cost too much for most and the 3000's are too hard to get and bots killed the better pricing

even if DLSS is a little better than Fsr
Fsr will be baked in at the console level before the games are ported to PC and game dev's hate extra work or SLI/CFX would still work (two 3080's in SLI working well would almost eliminate the need for DLSS also )

i would much more have good working SLI/CFX than DLSS or Fsr
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote