Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jul 3, 2020, 10:44 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexion View Post
Fixed that for you. This is less about Kojima's Team and more about the spectacular work put in by the Decima Engine developers, making sure their engine scales well across multiple platforms.

This game is not an indicator of the potential PC performance of other ported playstation games, especially those which use engines which were developed with consoles as their primary target.
How did you know that the decima engine was meant for multiplatforms from the beginning?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 11:24 PM   #152
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion once held a door open for a complete strangerDrexion once held a door open for a complete strangerDrexion once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
How did you know that the decima engine was meant for multiplatforms from the beginning?
It wasn't, it was originally meant for their in-house games only, like Killzone and Horizon. Only years later on they started more general use modifications to it. It didn't even have a name, given one only when Kojima requested to use it for Death Stranding.

That said, when DS trailers started to be released a year ago there were quite a few videos/articles talking about the engine (like this video) - which highlighted a lot of the work/tweaks done to the engine over the years by the Guerilla team. The focus was not necessarily on playstation hardware but scalability of the features regardless of the platform it was being run on.

tl;dr, even though Guerilla is owned by Sony, they had carte blanche with what changes to make to the engine, and the development changes they made were platform agnostic.
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI RTX3060Ti 8GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 1TB SSD 870 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2020, 01:36 AM   #153
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexion View Post
It wasn't, it was originally meant for their in-house games only, like Killzone and Horizon. Only years later on they started more general use modifications to it. It didn't even have a name, given one only when Kojima requested to use it for Death Stranding.

That said, when DS trailers started to be released a year ago there were quite a few videos/articles talking about the engine (like this video) - which highlighted a lot of the work/tweaks done to the engine over the years by the Guerilla team. The focus was not necessarily on playstation hardware but scalability of the features regardless of the platform it was being run on.

tl;dr, even though Guerilla is owned by Sony, they had carte blanche with what changes to make to the engine, and the development changes they made were platform agnostic.
I just noticed that both this game and HZD are DX12 only... that's interesting... when and how long did it take for Guerrilla to port their engine from PS API to DX12 should be interesting questions to be answered.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:39 AM   #154
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Game is now pre-loading on Steam. Releases Tuesday.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:13 PM   #155
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

So for the 5 of you who are going to play this POS courier game do tell what’s up?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:25 PM   #156
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:45 PM   #157
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

pre-ordered.

Game is great, people say it looks boring because they only saw or experienced the first few hours, the game opens, more gameplay loops open up and more crazyness happens the longer you play.

Also it's very different from the usual cookie cutter game.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 03:55 AM   #158
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Top seller on steam. People love KOJIMA
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 07:26 AM   #159
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

My preload completed this morning

I don't necessarily even love Kojima. I think the last (only?) Kojima game I placed was MGS on the PS1. I dabbled with Snatcher and Policenauts, but never got very far.

It's just the atmosphere and story of Death Stranding is just really gripping to me. I can't wait to play it, even if it is a walking simulator. I'm sure I've wasted my time on worse (hell, I like SNES Doom and Revolution X... so, so much for taste ).
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 09:34 AM   #160
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Kojima was live today on twitch. This guy is like this game, definitely not a cookie-cutter type .
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 09:36 AM   #161
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:58 AM   #162
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
So for the 5 of you who are going to play this POS courier game do tell what’s up?
I have it pre-loaded for release tomorrow but I'm probably not going to start it until the weekend. Not much time right now and I want to finish the current game I'm playing first before dedicating all my attention to this game. But for sure I will be posting my thoughts as I play it once I start.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:09 AM   #163
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
But for sure I will be posting my thoughts as I play it once I start.
Looking forward to it.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:10 AM   #164
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Game Watcher 10/10

Quote:
Death Stranding is a masterpiece of game design which surpasses your every expectation.
Quote:
The first time you're tasked with delivering something far away, and just as you think the game is about to become a slog, the camera pulls back and a song starts to play and you realize Kojima understands what you want before you even know it.
https://www.gamewatcher.com/reviews/...g-review/13194
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:19 PM   #165
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird sings

PLEASE, PLEASE play the game until at least mid-way on the 2nd level!

This game doesn't even really start until after you crossed the lake. The beginning level is all training.

Hopefully the UI is improved on the PC edition. It took a while to learn using just a controller. It was fine but it could blow your mind when you first start using it.
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 07:50 PM   #166
ozzy1
User

ozzy1 is still being judged by the masses

Does anyone know why it's $80 on Steam and only $65 on Epic.... Canadian $
edit: I guess the only difference is, no preload on epic.

Last edited by ozzy1 : Jul 13, 2020 at 08:57 PM.
ozzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:38 PM   #167
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
PLEASE, PLEASE play the game until at least mid-way on the 2nd level!

This game doesn't even really start until after you crossed the lake. The beginning level is all training.

Hopefully the UI is improved on the PC edition. It took a while to learn using just a controller. It was fine but it could blow your mind when you first start using it.
2nd level or 2nd mission or 2nd map or Act 2?
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:43 PM   #168
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
2nd level or 2nd mission or 2nd map or Act 2?
Let me try and explain it better. The beginning "area" is where you learn most of the mechanics. There are many main and side missions you can do here. You have to carry a body early in the game and that is probably one of the most difficult walking missions in the whole game. Not sure why Kojima wanted to torture everyone early on. I think its so you realize that walking and charting a solid coarse through rough terrain is something you have to actually plan for. You can explore this area all you want. But, you leave this area by taking a mission where you get on a boat. On the other side of the lake is where the entire main area is. This is where the game really starts to take off. Once you get there you can traverse this main area freely. It is huge and contains many missions and ways to progress the story, your characters abilities, and weapons. And deliver pizza if you want (don't forget to pack it cheese facing up!) Tons of players think the main area will be just more of the same they see in the first couple hours and give up. It is much more. The whole game is about discovering new methods and tools to make traversing the progressively difficult terrain easier and easier when you apply the right tools (If you remembered to pack them!!) Plus there are a few nasties to avoid and other humans to raid and pillage valuable equipment from. I wouldn't really call it a walking simulator as much as a journey planner. You want to push forward and need the right tools and right weather conditions or you can find yourself in a world of hurt. There is even some first person shooter action thrown in from WWI, WWII, and Vietnam. Do ask me how, ask Kojima.

It's an odd game with totally new mechanics and super long Kojima cut scenes and crazy plots. But, his realization of the world he imagined is really impressive and amazing. Turn off your brain and just play.
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2020, 08:05 AM   #169
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Unlocks at 7am PST
Old Jul 14, 2020, 08:31 AM   #170
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

looks like DLSS haters need to shut up for this game
Old Jul 14, 2020, 09:17 AM   #171
SirBaron

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

DLSS when done right looks virtually indistinguishable from native, and in some cases better due to the way the AI rebuilds the image and sharpening things.

Wolfenstein is a example of this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 09:32 AM   #172
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

just tried a few minutes and it's stutters in cutscenes and some gameplay I blame denuvo
Old Jul 14, 2020, 09:43 AM   #173
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
just tried a few minutes and it's stutters in cutscenes and some gameplay I blame denuvo
Or perhaps your system can't handle this title?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2020, 09:57 AM   #174
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I'm running at 1440p - dlss enabled I was getting stuttering. I turned dlss off, enabled TAA and FidelityFX CAS and the stuttering was gone (so-far).
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:00 AM   #175
SirBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler View Post
I'm running at 1440p - dlss enabled I was getting stuttering. I turned dlss off, enabled TAA and FidelityFX CAS and the stuttering was gone (so-far).
HDD or SDD?

I have 0 stuttering so far, runs great 60-80fps +- at 2560x1080.

Game is so much better when not at 30fps .

I also like how if this game gets cracked the pirates will have a much harder game/inferior game.

Last edited by SirBaron : Jul 14, 2020 at 10:15 AM.
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:02 AM   #176
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
HDD or SDD?

I have 0 stuttering so far, runs great 80fps +- at 2560x1080.

Game is so much better when not at 30fps .

I also like how if this game gets cracked the pirates will have a much harder game/inferior game.
Still getting some slight stutter w/gameplay. The game is installed on a SSD.

update: maybe it was my resolution @ 1440p? I switched to 21:9 @ 2520x1080 and the performance improved so-far.

Last edited by Dungeoncrawler : Jul 14, 2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:02 AM   #177
Spencer
CA Driftwood

Spencer once held a door open for a complete strangerSpencer once held a door open for a complete strangerSpencer once held a door open for a complete stranger

How about the textures? Meaning are they super sharp like in RDR2 even when looking almost straight down to the ground? Haven't started the download yet. Btw another example of really sharp textures when looking down on ground surfaces is Crysis 3. I'm interested in other stuff too like the sky, trees, buildings and things.
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:14 AM   #178
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
How about the textures? Meaning are they super sharp like in RDR2 even when looking almost straight down to the ground? Haven't started the download yet. Btw another example of really sharp textures when looking down on ground surfaces is Crysis 3. I'm interested in other stuff too like the sky, trees, buildings and things.
They look exceptional imo.

Made it to the cave w/out any stuttering. Seems the cutscene is stutter-free too.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:54 AM   #179
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post

What do you mean by this?
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:08 AM   #180
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
What do you mean by this?
The game is online and while you don't directly interact with other players, the paths they leave (ropes, ladders, etc.) are available to you if they leave them making your journey less arduous.
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote