Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:29 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The original fear has serious sound problems, your just lucky you are getting bass at all on a Realtek sound system. The only suggestions i have are either uninstall all codecs (if you have any), and go into the realtek options and turn the bass down on the equalizer.

EDIT: Oh i forgot, there is a windows media player codec (not standard) on the disc, try that that first.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:47 PM   #62
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

g-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0Griever View Post
I only really bothered playing the first one. Flickering the lights on and off and doors mysteriously close isn't particularly scary.

The Main Character hardly ever gets involved with the story. Why can't Fettel just tell you everything the first time you meet him, then you can just skip 3/4ths of the game since you do NOTHING but blasting people.

And blasting people is the only thing I really enjoyed. Nothing like watching enemies explode in slow motion from a shotgun blast at point blank.
ah man. Too bad. The flickering lights and doors closing is not what you should focus on .

The general atmostphere is just very intense. You aren't crapping your pants constantly (altough sometimes you can be startled ) , but it's the entire game with it's atmosphere that does something to you.

If you are sensitive to a game's atmosphere that is.

Again, if you pick out "the scary parts" and analyze them one by one you're just doing it wrong.

The whole game had a very claustrofibic, and different atmosphere then other shooters. I f^cking loved it.

I would play it again after reading this thread again, but unfortunately i can play out the whole game in my head from playing it through many many times.

Listen to that music man . It's epic .

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
COrsair 8GB DDR3 1600 mhz
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Coolermaster 1000 watt PSU
Samsung w840(?) SSD
http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

Martin Slater, 2K games, (Bioshock) about piracy:
"You can't afford to be cracked. As soon as you're gone, you're gone, and your sales drop astronomically if you've got a day-one crack"

Last edited by g-a-m-e : Aug 11, 2009 at 04:55 PM.
g-a-m-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:58 AM   #63
KwameR
Radeon R520

KwameR is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-a-m-e View Post
The whole game had a very claustrofibic, and different atmosphere then other shooters. I f^cking loved it.
I think part of the problem is that some people don't really like FPSers that much, but were drawn to the story, but the truth is, this is an intense FPS combat shooter with awesome graphics, physics and as you've pointed out, "atmosphere".

It's hard to believe this game is from 2005, but there's still no better close range combat shooter, and the combo of graphics and physics are still up there with the best.......and remember people, Persues Mandate went backwards graphically, so don't judge Fear or XP by that abortion.
KwameR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:55 AM   #64
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post
I loved FEAR 2 in 3d stereo. Though it was a bit less interesting in normal 2d to be sure.
You'd love Pong if it was in 3d stereo.
NIGELG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:04 AM   #65
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
You'd love Pong if it was in 3d stereo.
It would probably make it more exciting.

But seriously, FEAR 2 was made to be in 3d dammit. Before I played it in 3d, it was really meh, but in 3d it was one of the scariest games I have ever played.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 07:35 PM   #66
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Weird ending, but it was ok. I was going to try Extraction Point but I read that it doesn't really have a story and after Interval 8 I started getting tired of the same ol corridors so I don't want to see more of the same.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 07:39 PM   #67
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
Weird ending, but it was ok. I was going to try Extraction Point but I read that it doesn't really have a story and after Interval 8 I started getting tired of the same ol corridors so I don't want to see more of the same.
I thought the expansions were fun enough to play. Especially if you can find them for cheap. The combat is still solid anyway, and there are a few decent scares to be had.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:00 AM   #68
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Plus Extraction Point does the moving walls bit even better than the original. I play it every now and again just for that!
Old Oct 9, 2016, 08:00 AM   #69
RedBarchetta
Radeon R300

RedBarchetta is still being judged by the masses

Never having played this series (yeah, I know ) I just bought the bundle for $4.99. 1-3 and the DLC. Looking forward to this series.
RedBarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2016, 08:31 AM   #70
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

FEAR 1 was and still is amazing.
Play with headphones in a dark room.
Get sikkpin shaders for improved looks. http://www.moddb.com/mods/fear-sikkpin-shaders

Fear 2 was okay, different team made it I think.
Fear 3 I didn't bother finishing.
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2016, 09:09 AM   #71
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Brainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBrainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I don't know how it holds up, but the thing that sticks in my memory the most is how amazing the AI was. The AI would use real tactics like fire and move, flanking, suppression, etc. I can't think of any shooter with a better more challenging AI than that. Granted, the game was a corridor shooter, which undoubtedly is significantly easier to program the AI for than the more open games.

Edit: I just read the FEAR AI article posted earlier in the thread, interesting stuff. I really hope that someday we can have shooters that truly have AI that behave that intelligently and use real combat tactics. Poor AI is one of the big reasons I stopped caring about single player shooters in the last decade.

Last edited by Brainstew : Oct 9, 2016 at 09:15 AM.
Brainstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2016, 09:51 AM   #72
RedBarchetta
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
Get sikkpin shaders for improved looks. http://www.moddb.com/mods/fear-sikkpin-shaders
Thanks for that
Old Oct 9, 2016, 09:52 AM   #73
Argoon1981
Radeon Northern Islands

Argoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstew View Post
I don't know how it holds up, but the thing that sticks in my memory the most is how amazing the AI was. The AI would use real tactics like fire and move, flanking, suppression, etc. I can't think of any shooter with a better more challenging AI than that. Granted, the game was a corridor shooter, which undoubtedly is significantly easier to program the AI for than the more open games.

Edit: I just read the FEAR AI article posted earlier in the thread, interesting stuff. I really hope that someday we can have shooters that truly have AI that behave that intelligently and use real combat tactics. Poor AI is one of the big reasons I stopped caring about single player shooters in the last decade.
We have other games with fear type AI already (using the same underlying tech), Stalker was such game as was Crysis but i'm sure there's more, i'm talking about the tech not the behavior.
Creative SB Audigy 4
W10 64bits

My modeling portfolio
Argoon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:24 AM   #74
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Brainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBrainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Crysis AI was super disappointing imo, but I chalked it up to the difficulty of AI in open levels with all kinds of dynamic objects.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:27 AM   #75
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Thanks for that
And look on the Steam FEAR forum for the Logitech FPS fix. Finally I can play without the FPS tanking to 20 after 10 min.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:47 AM   #76
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Never having played this series (yeah, I know ) I just bought the bundle for $4.99. 1-3 and the DLC. Looking forward to this series.
Do yourself a huge favour and completely ignore Perseus Mandate. It was made by different people and it's very lacking. Just play through fear, extraction point and then fear 2, and thats the end of it!
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:13 AM   #77
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Here's a comparison shot from FEAR normally and with Sikkpin's shaders.
This is running on my work computer, i3 with on board graphics.

Normal:

With Sikkpin, you can see also the "soft shadows" are much softer.

Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:14 AM   #78
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

Hmm, just noticed that the second image is brighter, didn't notice while playing in game.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 06:58 PM   #79
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Wouldnt you be better off with enb or reshade, get some ssao in there, instead of messing with the lighting which is actually already pretty decent?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 08:26 PM   #80
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Fear was awesome, other than MMO's it was the first FPS I bought for PC and actually ended up getting me hooked on upgrading PC hardware. I mostly gamed on consoles exclusively until I was about 22. Fear 2 was good, I don't remember much about Fear 3 but I know I finished it.
dmanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2016, 08:59 PM   #81
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanna View Post
Fear was awesome, other than MMO's it was the first FPS I bought for PC and actually ended up getting me hooked on upgrading PC hardware. I mostly gamed on consoles exclusively until I was about 22. Fear 2 was good, I don't remember much about Fear 3 but I know I finished it.
Fear 3 was a joke. Only FEAR and FEAR 2 are made by the same guys. The Fear expacs and Fear 3 are all made by different teams, due to the battle between warners and vivendi for ip control. Fear 3 though had a really goode idea behind it, they just made a really **** game :/

the whole series is a mess. That plus FEAR 2's incredibly bad pc port choices to make xbox sell better. Im just glad Fear 2 ended up actually being goode.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 09:31 AM   #82
RedBarchetta
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
Wouldnt you be better off with enb or reshade, get some ssao in there, instead of messing with the lighting which is actually already pretty decent?
Was reading in the comments of the Sikkpin mod that someone had recommended to also use the HL2 ENBseries mod along with the Sikkpin shaders.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:19 PM   #83
deadite_9
random and/or senseless

deadite_9 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydeadite_9 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Do yourself a huge favour and completely ignore Perseus Mandate. It was made by different people and it's very lacking. Just play through fear, extraction point and then fear 2, and thats the end of it!
Meh, I'd say you're just as well off ignoring Extraction Point, too. The gameplay was decent, but it utterly trashed the story from the first game. It's like no one at Timegate Studios bothered to even play the first one, and just read the CliffsNotes before deciding how to continue the story.

:: HDTV
Samsung Q8FN (4K QLED, 65") :: AVR Onkyo TX-RZ830 (7.2.2) ::
:: UHD
Panasonic DP-UB820 :: BD Oppo BDP-83 :: CD Onkyo DX-C390 ::
:: PHONO
Technics SL-1200MK2 :: CONSOLE Xbox One X + PS4 Pro ::
:: MISC
Apple TV 4K (64GB) :: FRONT SVS Prime Tower (black ash) ::
:: FRONT HEIGHT
SVS Prime Elevation :: CENTER SVS Prime Center ::
:: LFE
(2x) Hsu Research VTF-2 MK5 (ported mode) + miniDSP 2x4 HD ::
:: SIDE SURROUND
SVS Prime Elevation :: SUB Hsu Research STF-2 ::
:: REAR SURROUND
SVS Prime Elevation :: SUB Hsu Research STF-1 ::

:: CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X :: MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) ::
:: AIO
Corsair H150i PRO + (6x) Noctua NF-A12x25 chromax + NA-FC1 ::
:: DDR4
32GB G.SKILL TridentZ @3600MHz (14-14-14-36/1T, silver/black) ::
:: GPU
EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA + Mnpctech support bracket (black) ::
:: HDTV
Samsung Q8FN (4K QLED, 65") :: AUDIO HDMI out (HT, 7.2) ::
:: OS
Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H2) :: NVME Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1TB) ::
:: SSD
(4x) Samsung 860 EVO (4TB/2TB/1TB/1TB) :: HDD1 WD Black (4TB) ::
:: HDD2
WD Gold (6TB, backup) :: CASE Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL (black) ::
:: FANS
(7x) Noctua NF-A12x25 chromax + NF-A8 chromax + (2x) NA-FC1 ::
:: PSU
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 + CableMod PRO series (black/white) ::
:: INPUT
Logitech G613 + G305 + Xbox One S controller (wireless) ::

:: CPU
Core i7 7820X (4.5GHz) :: MB ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming ::
:: AIO
Corsair H115i + (2x) Noctua NF-A14 chromax + NA-FC1 ::
:: DDR4
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3000MHz (15-17-17-35) ::
:: GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 + hybrid kit + (1x) Noctua NF-F12 chromax ::
:: AUDIO
ROG SupremeFX (S1220A) :: OS Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) ::
:: SSD
(1x) Samsung 850 PRO (512GB) + (1x) 860 EVO (500GB) ::
:: PSU
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 + CableMod Pro series (black/white) ::
:: CASE
Corsair Carbide Air 540 (silver, DEMCiflex intake filters) ::
:: FANS
(2x) Noctua NF-A14 chromax ::
deadite_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2016, 01:43 PM   #84
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

I played FEAR 3 and could have swore I was playing Call of Duty instead.

I actually liked FEAR 2 better than FEAR 1. Fear had some annoyances I couldn't get over, mainly the unrealistic corporate floor layouts along with the deli style gates all over the place, and the inability of the game director to choose between a slow paced horror theme or a fast paced shooter. Even the horror sections were straight ripoffs from Ringu/Juon.

Fear 2 flowed better overall imo, didn't suffer an identity crisis like Fear 1 did, and kept it overall closer to the horror elements even while toting your guns around.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2016, 03:34 PM   #85
Arc_Angel
We'll meet again someday.

Arc_Angel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyArc_Angel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

FEAR 1, 2 and Dead Space series can give me a heart attack from time to time
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
  • Corsair RMx 1000w
  • Zotac AmpCore 3090
  • SB AE-9 + Denon S750H receiver + Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 speakers
  • WD SN750 1TB, 2X 2TB WD Black + 2X 2TB WD Blue
  • Corsair Commander Pro
  • Antec P182 case
  • Intel i5 4590 w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Turbo + 120mm Panaflo Ultra fan (push), Scythe S-Flex G fan (pull)
  • 4x4GB CORSAIR Vengeance Blue
  • Gigabyte Z87X-D3H Rev.1
  • eVGA SuperNova 850 B2
  • eVGA GTX 980Ti
  • SB X-Fi Platinum
  • Pioneer DVR111D modded to DVR-111L
  • 3x WD3200AAKS, WD Blue 500GB SSD
  • Scythe KAZE MASTER 5.25 Fan Controller Black
  • Antec P182 case
  • Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w/ 120mm Panaflo Ultra fan (push), Scythe S-Flex G fan (pull)
  • OCZ 4x2GB PC6400 Platinum @ 5-4-4-15 2.02V
  • Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
  • PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w Crossfire
  • eVGA GTX 280 SC
  • Audigy2 ZS Platinum
  • Pioneer DVR111D modded to DVR-111L
  • 3x WD3200AAKS, , WD Blue 500GB SSD
  • Scythe KAZE MASTER 5.25 Fan Controller Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alientank View Post
I guess it works better if it's plugged all the ****ing way in.
Arc_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2016, 06:36 PM   #86
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite_9 View Post
Meh, I'd say you're just as well off ignoring Extraction Point, too. The gameplay was decent, but it utterly trashed the story from the first game. It's like no one at Timegate Studios bothered to even play the first one, and just read the CliffsNotes before deciding how to continue the story.
I agree for the most part, however when i played it, i found that after the first initial trashing of the story (i think this was the first time i had ever played an expac that trashed the base game), the gameplay design in Extraction Point made up for it, there were parts in Extraction Point that were arguably better than the base game! Perseus though was were it makes no sense.. the story was a little better than EP because they were actually trying something new, but somehow they ****ed up their own game design from the first expac into something awful :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_Angel View Post
FEAR 1, 2 and Dead Space series can give me a heart attack from time to time
FEAR1 and Dead Space 1 were the two scariest games we'd ever had until Amnesia came out!! If anyone likes though ( [EDIT] these ) games, definitely try Layers of Fear!

Last edited by theshadowcult : Oct 11, 2016 at 12:23 AM.
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2016, 07:23 PM   #87
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I agree for the most part, however when i played it, i found that after the first initial trashing of the story (i think this was the first time i had ever played an expac that trashed the base game), the gameplay design in Extraction Point made up for it, there were parts in Extraction Point that were arguably better than the base game! Perseus though was were it makes no sense.. the story was a little better than EP because they were actually trying something new, but somehow they ****ed up their own game design from the first expac into something awful :/

FEAR1 and Dead Space 1 were the two scariest games we'd ever had until Amnesia came out!! If anyone likes though games, definitely try Layers of Fear!
Dead Space 1 was scary, I loved it when it first came out.
dmanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2016, 02:38 AM   #88
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

FEAR1 and Dead Space 1 were the two scariest games we'd ever had until Amnesia came out!! If anyone likes though ( [EDIT] these ) games, definitely try Layers of Fear!
Layers of Fear in VR must be downright stupidly scary.

Anyway, I loved FEAR 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2016, 03:06 AM   #89
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

These games are too old now. Also FEAR was stupid easy game to play. The whole stop time and keep spamming gays with bullets got old pretty fast.

It had the atmosphere but wasn't a scary game either.

Replaying it today will not be possible for me.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2016, 08:13 AM   #90
Rebooter
Radeon R520

Rebooter is still being judged by the masses

I love FEAR and just started another playthrough yesterday. Mostly to try the new fix for the HID device slowdown bug. I had used a script to temporarily disable then renable HID devices in Windows 7, but heard it doesn't work anymore in Windows 10. The DLL fix is working perfectly for me, although the file gets flagged as malware by my antivirus (had to add an exclusion).

Steam forum post here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/21090/...5380897389173/

Rebooter is offline   Reply With Quote