Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 10, 2021, 10:41 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default So I just got my first pre-built in about 20 years

EVO MINI I 3070

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/EVO-Mini-I-3070

Got this badboy though the case is different (there's apparently no room for a case fan at the exhaust? I may have to mod a small fan externally).

That said this beast does run hot. Initially it was running in the low 70's and spiking to about 83c occasionally. From what I read, this is pretty normal but I didn't like that much heat coming out of it so I undervolted by -.080 mv and that helped a little but now it wasn't 100% stable.

So I turned off the turbo for the processor and now it's stable and the heat reduced a LOT down to only the mid 50c range and never going higher than that. Performance is still superb so I don't need the extra power right now. On the bright side, if in the future I need more power I can always re-enable the turbo.

Specs;

Quote:
CAS: Phanteks METALLICGEAR NEO MINI V2 mini-iTX Gaming Case Black w/ Tempered Glass Window (Vertical mount Video Card)
CC: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i9-10850K 10/20 3.60GHz [Turbo 5.1GHz] 20MB Cache LGA1200
CS_FAN: Default case fans
ENGRAVING: None
FAN: CORSAIR HYDRO iCUE H115I PRO XT RGB 280MM
HDD: 1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 2400/1950 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 410/405k (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
HEADSET: None
KEYBOARD: CyberPowerPC Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (Crucial Ballistix Sport)
MICROPHONE: None
MONITOR: None
MOPAD: None
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z490M-ITX/AC Mini-ITX, ARGB, Dual LAN 1GbE/2.5GbE, 1 PCIe x16, 4 SATA3, 1M.2 SATA/PCIe
MOUSE: CyberPowerPC Standard 4000 DPI with Weight System Optical Gaming Mouse
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 Series 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Ultra Quiet Full Modular Power Supply
PRO_WIRING: None
RUSH: Extra 2 week lead times for selected video cards, Eligible for 5% Instant Rebate when enter “NORUSH” During Checkout.
SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
USBHD: None
VIDEO: [Extra 2 Weeks Lead Time] GeForce RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6 (Ampere) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY
I specified that I wanted a different 3070 than the default that they typically send out (according to reddit) which is the basic Gigabyte 3070 because the Gigabyte's have a high rate of failure for some reason. I've read a ton of horror stories of the card being DOA or artifacting within a month of use.

Well the card they sent me was the eVGA 3070 Ultra FTW edition. I got lucky, that's the premium 3070 from eVGA. So far so good, but this one runs HOT. I've seen it get to as high as 86c in some games, but from what I've read that's pretty normal.

Everything is perfectly stable right now, but I want to reduce to heat from the vid card. Undervolting a vid card isn't as straightforward as a PC, but after I did so via MSI afterburner it didn't seem to have any effect on the heat so I'm guessing the card is at it's baseline thermally.

That said, everything is FAST. Running FS2020 with everything at Ultra in 1440p is a treat and testing cyberpunk with everything (including RTX) on and at ultra and silky smooth gameplay at 1440p is also a plus. Hopefully, this will "future proof" me for awhile.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Last edited by xCLAVEx : May 10, 2021 at 11:02 AM.
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2021, 11:37 AM   #2
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Solid rig.

The temps are ok. You might experience some throttling if it gets much higher. Before you undervolt try setting a more aggressive fan curve.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2021, 11:42 AM   #3
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Well the card they sent me was the eVGA 3070 Ultra FTW edition. I got lucky, that's the premium 3070 from eVGA. So far so good, but this one runs HOT. I've seen it get to as high as 86c in some games, but from what I've read that's pretty normal.
Use Afterburner and do a custom fan setting?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 10, 2021, 11:44 AM   #4
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

My gigabyte 3070 never breaks 65 C even with mining.

I told you that ITX case is crap for cooling the specs but you didn’t quite listen.

Also the FTW3 coolers are mostly garbage dress up Barbie coolers. I had 2 cards and both proved the point. At least the 3090 is silent. Don’t know about the 3070 but damn 86 C on a 3070 is garbage.

Overall, if you are happy with it more power to you.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2021, 12:16 PM   #5
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
My gigabyte 3070 never breaks 65 C even with mining.

I told you that ITX case is crap for cooling the specs but you didn’t quite listen.

Also the FTW3 coolers are mostly garbage dress up Barbie coolers. I had 2 cards and both proved the point. At least the 3090 is silent. Don’t know about the 3070 but damn 86 C on a 3070 is garbage.

Overall, if you are happy with it more power to you.
It's the lack of an exhaust fan I'm sure that is causing the heating issue with the card because I took the side panel off and the card barely hit 70c under the same loads. This is why I'm going to add an external case fan USB powered. It may look kinda ghetto, but what do I care if it solves my issue? I'd rather not have the side panel off if I can avoid it.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Last edited by xCLAVEx : May 10, 2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old May 10, 2021, 12:21 PM   #6
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The case and lack of airflow is the problem, not the coolers. KAC I already proved to you the FTW3 cooler operates just fine.

As for the ITX case .. that's simply not enough cooling and poor design. The GPU is super starved for air, and the only air you have coming into the case is hot used radiator air, and that's feeding your GPU, which is then heating it up further and recycling it. I'm not sure why you can't fit a rear fan as exhaust judging by the pics of the Neo Mini V2. I would actually put a fan on the rear and set it as intake, and take off all the PCIE slot covers. Let the positive air pressure force the air out on its own. You need fresh air into the case, and right now you're cooling your RAM, mobo VRM, and GPU with already warm air. Removing the side panel is allowing the GPU to pull in cool air, which is why temps drop. The exhaust fan will still lower temps, but I wouldn't expect a miracle.

Beyond that, I would highly recommend grabbing a new case and transplanting everything. The specs are nice, but whoever thought to smash any high powered CPU into a Mini-ITX is a dummy.

Running the processor with Turbo off is a huge loss of performance, especially in a CPU limited game such as FS2020.

You can probably undervolt the chip a tad, but you'd need to run an override voltage. Trying to undervolt based off the VID without touching AC/DC Loadline causes a lot of funky **** to happen.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2021, 12:23 PM   #7
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
The case and lack of airflow is the problem, not the coolers. KAC I already proved to you the FTW3 cooler operates just fine.

As for the ITX case .. that's simply not enough cooling and poor design. The GPU is super starved for air, and the only air you have coming into the case is hot used radiator air, and that's feeding your GPU, which is then heating it up further and recycling it. I'm not sure why you can't fit a rear fan as exhaust judging by the pics of the Neo Mini V2. I would actually put a fan on the rear and set it as intake, and take off all the PCIE slot covers. Let the positive air pressure force the air out on its own. You need fresh air into the case, and right now you're cooling your RAM, mobo VRM, and GPU with already warm air. Removing the side panel is allowing the GPU to pull in cool air, which is why temps drop.

Beyond that, I would highly recommend grabbing a new case and transplanting everything. The specs are nice, but whoever thought to smash any high powered CPU into a Mini-ITX is a dummy.

Running the processor with Turbo off is a huge loss of performance, especially in a CPU limited game such as FS2020.

You can probably undervolt the chip a tad, but you'd need to run an override voltage. Trying to undervolt based off the VID without touching AC/DC Loadline causes a lot of funky **** to happen.

I can't fit one because the video card is blocking half of the fan slot. Externally I can do it though.

~George Carlin
Old May 10, 2021, 12:29 PM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Weird. In the reference picture I looked at of the NEO Mini V2, the GPU shouldn't be in the way.

In that case, mount it to the back is the only option.. lol.

I still think it's worth just buying a new case. An extra $80-100 would do wonders.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2021, 12:40 PM   #9
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
I still think it's worth just buying a new case. An extra $80-100 would do wonders.
Seconded, something with much better air flow.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2021, 12:41 PM   #10
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
I would highly recommend grabbing a new case and transplanting everything.
I was going to say this.

You would also have the added bonus of feeling like you actually built the PC yourself.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2021, 12:44 PM   #11
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

Quote:
Weird. In the reference picture I looked at of the NEO Mini V2, the GPU shouldn't be in the way.

In that case, mount it to the back is the only option.. lol.

It's still an option to do so, but I REALLY like the small size of the case as real estate around my desk is minimal. So short of buying a new desk which I don't want to do right now, this is the best option.

I am aware turning turbo off does reduce the computers performance, but FS2020 with everything at ultra runs silky smooth now even without it, and I can always enable it later when I want to tweak the voltage settings a bit more. Cyberpunk runs like a dream too. I'm running 1440p not 4k, maybe at 4k it would need more power but 1440p is perfect.

I will try the external fan at the rear and likely zip tie it on and see if that solves the issue this weekend. Even if it drops the temps by just 4-5c, that would be enough for what I want. The mobo and cpu are running nice and cool, I just need to work on the vid card with some airflow.

~George Carlin
Old May 10, 2021, 03:41 PM   #12
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Quote:
It's still an option to do so, but I REALLY like the small size of the case as real estate around my desk is minimal. So short of buying a new desk which I don't want to do right now, this is the best option.

I am aware turning turbo off does reduce the computers performance, but FS2020 with everything at ultra runs silky smooth now even without it, and I can always enable it later when I want to tweak the voltage settings a bit more. Cyberpunk runs like a dream too. I'm running 1440p not 4k, maybe at 4k it would need more power but 1440p is perfect.

I will try the external fan at the rear and likely zip tie it on and see if that solves the issue this weekend. Even if it drops the temps by just 4-5c, that would be enough for what I want. The mobo and cpu are running nice and cool, I just need to work on the vid card with some airflow.
You need a case? I'll send you one. Free + Shipping.
Old May 10, 2021, 06:39 PM   #13
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
You need a case? I'll send you one. Free + Shipping.
Well that's a generous offer! Does it support a micro ITX board? What case is it? I do have a spare case around here but it's old, HUGE, and not easy to use unfortunately.

~George Carlin
Old May 10, 2021, 07:15 PM   #14
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:
Well that's a generous offer! Does it support a micro ITX board? What case is it? I do have a spare case around here but it's old, HUGE, and not easy to use unfortunately.
Welp, it is this one: https://www.nzxt.com/products/switch-810-white (except it’s gunmetal gray)

And according to the specs it will NOT support an m-itx mobo.
Sorry about that. I should have checked first.

It’s roomy and a breeze to use, btw. Double
Old May 10, 2021, 10:04 PM   #15
theduce
Il Duce

theduce is still being judged by the masses

[quote=xCLAVEx;1338284616]EVO MINI I 3070

Got this badboy though the case is different (there's apparently no room for a case fan at the exhaust? I may have to mod a small fan externally).

That said this beast does run hot. Initially it was running in the low 70's and spiking to about 83c occasionally. From what I read, this is pretty normal but I didn't like that much heat coming out of it so I undervolted by -.080 mv and that helped a little but now it wasn't 100% stable.

Congrats on the purchase! I've been happy with the two rigs I've bought from them. I'm sure you updated the bios as I don't think CP does that.
Old May 10, 2021, 10:32 PM   #16
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
Welp, it is this one: https://www.nzxt.com/products/switch-810-white (except it’s gunmetal gray)

And according to the specs it will NOT support an m-itx mobo.
Sorry about that. I should have checked first.

It’s roomy and a breeze to use, btw. Double
Hey, thanks for the offer anyway I appreciate it!

~George Carlin
Old May 10, 2021, 10:32 PM   #17
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

[quote=theduce;1338284710]
Quote:
EVO MINI I 3070

Congrats on the purchase! I've been happy with the two rigs I've bought from them. I'm sure you updated the bios as I don't think CP does that.
It is warm but perfectly stable. I think I can fix the heat issue.

~George Carlin
Old May 11, 2021, 10:44 PM   #18
theduce
Il Duce

theduce is still being judged by the masses

[quote=xCLAVEx;1338284717]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduce View Post

It is warm but perfectly stable. I think I can fix the heat issue.
I asked because I had to update the bios for the mb in sig. It was showing 80*c temps in every 3rd party app I was using. After update temps were accurate. Best of luck and enjoy your new PC!
Old May 12, 2021, 01:51 AM   #19
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Nice little toaster you got there. Does it also make egg with the toast?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2021, 02:14 PM   #20
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

I actually have not updated the bios on this thing but I see no reason to do so. It's running fine and the bios updates I've seen that are available don't appear to fix anything substantial, not worth the risk...especially after I just had a bad experience with my laptop and bios-bricked it after the bios update "succeeded".

~George Carlin
Old May 17, 2021, 12:26 PM   #21
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

Decided to go back and raise the voltage slightly (0.05v) and turn turbo back on for full power. Heat went up a bit, but it's not bad (spiking in the 70's) and I decided to leave the side panel off when using the computer to keep temps manageable for now. Vid card now doesn't spike above 75c in heavy use only on certain games.

Not surprisingly FS2020 and Cyberpunk at ultra run silky smooth in 1440p, but also run the system hot (room A/C helps a ton here). League of legends barely makes the computer warm (runs nice and cool) and so do most other average games.

Surprisingly the game that runs the system hottest is Spellforce 3. Runs hotter playing that game than Cyberpunk . True the game has some great graphics and artwork, but I didn't think it pushed the system that hard, especially considering my old 1070ti ran it just fine.

~George Carlin

Last edited by xCLAVEx : May 17, 2021 at 12:33 PM.