Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:13 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default Linus Replaces AXI1500W with Seasonic 1000W But Why?

Sup gays?

A Linus Tech Tips vid got recommended too me. Basically just Linus flexing how much money he's worth but one thing he was doing in the video had me questioning why.

Linus had a Corsai AXI 1500w inside his home system, he replaces it with a Seasonic Prime Tx 1000w. Now Linus's system is no slouch, custom LCS with multi-rad, high OC, max memory, 3090LCS OC's massive raid array etc etc.

Now Linus is probably pushing close to 1000W if not more, so why in the **** replace the PSU with a smaller one. Titanium rating is only good at 50% useage and he will probably be over that.

Can anyone come up with a reason behind it??? The Corsair and Seasonic are both single 12v rails with the Corsair have more amps available.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, Asus Strix 3080Ti OC, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:23 AM   #2
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

If I remember right, Seasonic was the sponsor of the episode. He can always swap it back if needed, although it looked like a hell of a hassle.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:27 AM   #3
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

...who cares?

If anything it goes to show how stupid people are for taking these YouTuber morons content as gospel.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:36 AM   #4
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:47 AM   #5
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

The sponsor theory is probably correct, and a 1000W can handle his rig too, so it's a non-issue.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:48 AM   #6
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I seem to remember he joked about it mid episode.

*edit*

There it is. Its mentioned off the top.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Dec 20, 2021, 01:48 PM   #7
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Prime units have shown to be able to take spikes of even 500 watts over without failing. They are pretty stout units. I doubt it'd be an issue.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz

Last edited by CurrentlyPissed : Dec 20, 2021 at 01:54 PM.
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:21 PM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Prime units have shown to be able to take spikes of even 500 watts over without failing. They are pretty stout units. I doubt it'd be an issue.
Yeah, if you want your PSU to last you a total of 4 months and have the fan screaming because the PSU is running hot.

If you keep a PSU for 5+ years like most people do, the 50-65% range is the better idea. One of the few components that should never be skimped on.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:51 PM   #9
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Between 50% and 80% load there's barely any efficiency difference, perhaps a few %. This ofc depends on PSU, but hx1000 graph linked below.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/c...hx1000i/6.html
Old Dec 21, 2021, 08:50 AM   #10
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Yeah, if you want your PSU to last you a total of 4 months and have the fan screaming because the PSU is running hot.

If you keep a PSU for 5+ years like most people do, the 50-65% range is the better idea. One of the few components that should never be skimped on.
Aye, agree 100%. I won't skimp on the PSU or motherboard as its the backbone of the enitre system.

I've had my AXI1500 now for a long time, 4+ years but it doesn't fit my case very well and I've been looking for a smaller PSU but hopefuly in the same power range. I could go to the 1600w AXI which is smaller in size but money is a little tight right now and mine works perfectly fine, knock on wood cause I say this I bet the PSU dies.

I re-watched the video and yeah its just a sponsor plug segment. I just hate these Youtubers like Linus, Jayztwocents, Pauls Hardware that are so out of touch with their viewer base now...
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, Asus Strix 3080Ti OC, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Dec 21, 2021, 09:05 AM   #11
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Look at SuperFlower. Pricing is extremely competitive as they break into the US market under their own name. They were the manufacturer of EVGA PSUs when EVGA actually cared about their name brand being associated with quality.

I would just keep the AXi though. They don't make the digital PSUs above 1000w unless it's the 1600 now - imo that thing is priced horridly.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:34 AM   #12
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Aye, agree 100%. I won't skimp on the PSU or motherboard as its the backbone of the enitre system.

I've had my AXI1500 now for a long time, 4+ years but it doesn't fit my case very well and I've been looking for a smaller PSU but hopefuly in the same power range. I could go to the 1600w AXI which is smaller in size but money is a little tight right now and mine works perfectly fine, knock on wood cause I say this I bet the PSU dies.

I re-watched the video and yeah its just a sponsor plug segment. I just hate these Youtubers like Linus, Jayztwocents, Pauls Hardware that are so out of touch with their viewer base now...
Imho the Wan show grounds it. But they have been doing the typical youtuber thing as well. Which is content that is getting more and more expensive/luxury in nature. So your right, it's starting to feel outta touch.

System:
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:00 PM   #13
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I feel like LTT is more like the Top Gear of tech than a regular "boring" channel like gamersnexus, the same goes for jay.

While they also do regular content, they are clearly more focused on doing dumb/fun projects.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2021, 09:01 AM   #14
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
...who cares?

If anything it goes to show how stupid people are for taking these YouTuber morons content as gospel.
I watch his vids sometimes and he's ok but I tend to identify more with the nerdier, more 'boring' productions from GN.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2021, 03:16 PM   #15
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I watch his vids sometimes and he's ok but I tend to identify more with the nerdier, more 'boring' productions from GN.
That's because GN is more focused on the tech then flaunting the tech. Sure they will do LN2 but usually they will take superchats and donate it to charity which is fun to watch.

You don't see GN everyday flaunting a custom designed and cooled 3090 in your mansion, trying to run a 40Gbps optical Thunderbolt cable when running a 4K HDR10+ 120Hz display and you wonder why your HDMI is dropping out....

After re-watching the video the setup is so poorly designed....
Old Dec 22, 2021, 03:31 PM   #16
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Probably because Linus is gay!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2021, 03:55 PM   #17
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

How do you know this? Did you subscribe to his onlyfans? ^^

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2021, 08:02 PM   #18
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
How do you know this? Did you subscribe to his onlyfans? ^^

Its Kac, what do you expect?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 08:44 PM   #19
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

System:
Old Jan 1, 2022, 05:51 AM   #20
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Here is a word from Rage3Ds sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Probably because Linus is gay!
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2022, 07:15 AM   #21
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Here is a word from Rage3Ds sponsor
Anal Ease?

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2022, 04:32 PM   #22
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Anal Ease?
Yep

Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote