Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 1, 2019, 05:03 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwards

Default My current build is 7 years old this month

I built my current desktop PC in January, 2012. That makes it 7 years old this month. It has remained the same since except for me changing out the original 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz RAM to 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz because a stick of that original Vengeance RAM kept going bad on me despite repeated RMAs.

Also, the only other thing that I kept changing/upgrading was the graphics card. I originally included a GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores which was then upgraded to the GTX TITAN (2013) and then a GTX 980 Ti and now finally a GTX 1080 Ti.

I can play Battlefield V at 1440p at ultra settings with an average fps of around 90-100 depending in the map/situation.

Lastly, I also did change the monitor (Samsung SyncMaster S23A700D), speakers (Corsair SP2500), and mouse (Logitech G9x) because they started having issues.

I don't think I'll be doing any more changes/upgrades to this build. Next stop for me will be a completely new build but I am not sure when that will be as I am having no issues running any games as of now.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2019, 05:13 PM   #2
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Hold my beer.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

I was just thinking about this. My build is 7.5 years old (June 2011). I've been running at 4.4ghz the entire time. Same power supply, motherboard, cpu. Storage has been upgraded with a primary SSD and a WD Red, I added another 8gb of ram for like $60 for a total of 16gb, and the 6950 was traded out for a R9 Fury, but it's amazing how well it still continues to perform. I do not remember ever keeping a CPU/motherboard setup for so long in the past.

Last edited by Pr3tty F1y : Jan 2, 2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typo
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:19 PM   #4
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

My computer is a Core i7 920 from 2008, and an HD 7970 from 2012. It holds up very well for its age.

Got a laptop since then with a Core i7 6700 and GTX 1060 3 GB for $1000. It is a great laptop but takes a **** when AA is enabled, and it looks like AA isn't even working most of the time (which is why I decided to go back to AMD).

I have a new rig in the works as I type. Saw Vega 64 on sale at NewEgg for $399 and made the jump. I plan to post a thread about it later. A lot has changed since 2008.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2019, 03:29 AM   #5
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran

Galmok is still being judged by the masses

I also have a Core i7 920, but from march 2009 (so almost 10 years old). Has been running with 12GB tripple channel memory on a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R motherboard and has been quite stable. 1-2 years ago I decided to overclock it from 2.6 to 3.6 GHz (still air-cooled). Still stable.

The major reason I want to upgrade is to get more memory. I don't expect the CPU to have changed all that much in speed. I have of course kept GPU somewhat up2date (AMD 480 right now).
Galmok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2019, 04:34 AM   #6
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

My CPU and mobo is from 2013. My ram is from 2015 (only to get a matching pair) and my GPU is from late 2016.

I'm about due for a CPU upgrade but the prices are insane and performance increases are kinda disappointing.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2019, 06:06 AM   #7
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I think it is worthwhile to spend on a new CPU for you gays and throwing in a 1080 or equivalent card. No point getting anything more than that. You can do a decent 1000 caps rig these days.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:24 AM   #8
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I think it is worthwhile to spend on a new CPU for you gays and throwing in a 1080 or equivalent card. No point getting anything more than that. You can do a decent 1000 caps rig these days.
But why?

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-page...pgrade,18.html
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:09 PM   #9
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Yeah my home PC is for the most part about 7 years old now as well. I have however in the past 3 years upgraded the GPU, added a 1TB SSD for storage, and replaced the PSU that crapped out.

But just still no need to upgrade the CPU/motherboard/RAM. 2600K Sandy Bridge still getting the job done.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2019, 01:41 PM   #10
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I upgraded to Ryzen in 2017 but my old 2500k @4.5 GHz is still going strong in my brother in law's rig. I guess these CPUs really have held up well!
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2019, 03:46 PM   #11
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Enjoyed Divinity Original Sin 2 on a watercooled Q9450 + ATi 5870 this Christmas at 1920x1200, low. From 2008. Not a bad experience at all, almost finished it. It's pretty cool to see most cores utilized on modern games

Last edited by kboye : Jan 2, 2019 at 05:21 PM.
kboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:21 PM   #12
KAC

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Didn’t you buy a GTX Titan for 2400 a few days back?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:49 AM   #13
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

All of my hardware is from 2012 as well, only exception being the video card. Every year I look at the new CPU's and other hardware and search for a good reason to uograde anything.

I still have yet to find a good reason to do anything but swap out the video card, so I keep hanging on to the old setup. Sure has saved me a lot of money.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:59 AM   #14
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
I think there is value in going from 4 to 6 cores for better minimums and generally more stable gaming experience. Also helps with higher average FPS in games like BF and AC.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:20 AM   #15
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

I just upgraded my q6600 4GB 4870 rig to a pre built HP rig i5 8400 16GB 1050 ti with 128 GB NVME drive and 1 TB HD for 1000 Canadian after taxes, pretty decent upgrade as i'm just a casual gamer now, bought a new high end office chair and a new 32" 2K monitor to go with it, actually really impressed with this little guy, especially boot times from off to desktop, around 15 to 20 seconds.

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2019, 07:31 PM   #16
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

I'm still waiting for the WOW difference we all got from P4 to Core2Duo and then again to the Core i architecture.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 08:07 PM   #17
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
I'm still waiting for the WOW difference we all got from P4 to Core2Duo and then again to the Core i architecture.
The first gen Core i really were ahead of their time. Every similarly priced chip after that seemed to be two steps forward, 1.9 steps back type of incremental improvements.

I put my HD 7970 into my Ryzen 2700X PC while I waited for my Vega 64 to arrive. I was surprised at how little improvement there was over the Core i7 score. While the physics score of the new chip blew the old one out of the water, gaming performance was clearly held back by the HD 7970 far more than the i7 920.

Say what you want about the benchmark's methods, I found the results interesting:

HD 7970/Core i7 920: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17653297 (6780 total, 5030 Physics)
HD 7970/Ryzen 2700X: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/31937232 (8411 total, 20221 Physics)
And for S&G's (no modifications done to memory timings/GPU clock/CPU clock, etc.):
Vega 64/Ryzen 2700X: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17711480 (17787 Total, 19895 Physics)
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2019, 04:32 PM   #18
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Didn’t you buy a GTX Titan for 2400 a few days back?
Yes, but it's not for my PC. As stated later in that thread, it's for my upcoming giveaway.

Okay, I'm just kidding. I didn't by a TITAN RTX.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2019, 09:29 PM   #19
drumphil
Radeon Volcanic Islands

drumphil can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydrumphil can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i5 750 running at 3.92Ghz, coolermaster 4 heatpipe 12cm fan cpu cooler. Barely audible at full load.

47% overclock! Those were the days... or still are the days for me.

12Bass: re: 9/11 nano-thermite conspiracy theory "Nanotermites... turns out it was a spelling error. Also explains the lack of explosions before the collapse."
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2019, 04:58 AM   #20
KAC

I used to be like you guys lol.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 09:01 PM   #21
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Get back to me when your rig's age is in the double digits.

ppff...kids, thinking they're all retro and stuff.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:16 PM   #22
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think my current build must be 5 or 6 years old (based on when the chipset was released) and it still runs games at full quality at 2k... but my kids still game on my older PC which I *think* is a heavily overclocked Athlon 64 with a pair of GTX 670s in SLI which is probably close to 11 or 12 years old.

Not sure how long that thing will keep going, but it can actually still play a lot of games at 1080p; just not high quality or with AA. It basically just plays Fortnite all the time anyway - though I see my oldest got it running Apex Legends and it doesn't look too bad.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2019, 02:01 PM   #23
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Feb 2012 for mine, upgraded to an RX480 in Black Friday 2016 from a 7870OC.

Since I just upgraded the monitor today to 1440P, I think the 480 is getting stretched!
Certainly runs hotter than in 1080P.
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2019, 02:03 PM   #24
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
I think there is value in going from 4 to 6 cores for better minimums and generally more stable gaming experience. Also helps with higher average FPS in games like BF and AC.
I have to agree with you in this one as te game I play uses Cryengine and it taxes 8 cores pretty good.
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2019, 07:32 AM   #25
drumphil
Radeon Volcanic Islands

drumphil can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydrumphil can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
Get back to me when your rig's age is in the double digits.

ppff...kids, thinking they're all retro and stuff.
My C64 works just fine thank you.

12Bass: re: 9/11 nano-thermite conspiracy theory "Nanotermites... turns out it was a spelling error. Also explains the lack of explosions before the collapse."
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:03 AM   #26
ULTRATRON38
Radeon R300

ULTRATRON38 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I used to be like you guys lol.
Same here. I used the same motherboard, HD, case and power supply from 2011-2017. My upgrades during that time were from an FX 6100 to FX 8320, two video cards and a memory add then upgrade.

Even during that time, I could always run things on max settings.

My current upgrades (pics soon) should be good for a while, plus I only use 1080p because I get migraines and super high FPS > resolution and keeps the headaches away.
ULTRATRON38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2019, 03:17 PM   #27
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRATRON38 View Post
Same here. I used the same motherboard, HD, case and power supply from 2011-2017. My upgrades during that time were from an FX 6100 to FX 8320, two video cards and a memory add then upgrade.

Even during that time, I could always run things on max settings.

My current upgrades (pics soon) should be good for a while, plus I only use 1080p because I get migraines and super high FPS > resolution and keeps the headaches away.
Invest in a variable refresh monitor; really cuts down on eye strain.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2019, 04:19 PM   #28
ULTRATRON38
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Invest in a variable refresh monitor; really cuts down on eye strain.
That is the only other major upgrade I'm considering, though my current 144hz non freesync monitor has no problems when I use the RTX 2080. A main reason I ordered a Radeon VII for my other system was b/c while the 1070TI looks great, it would sometimes cause headaches b/c it can't get to 144fps where my 2080 system does not.

Considering the Samsung 49" 1080p freesync ..and then my TRADING BATTLESTATION will be complete.

& I know it may sound extreme to non traders/investors, but for what I do you really do need two solid systems (for redundancy) and a lot of screen area for stock charts!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 08:04 AM   #29
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I really don't know why you always write like that, but i get headaches while trying to read your stuff....

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2019, 09:40 AM   #30
ULTRATRON38
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
I really don't know why you always write like that, but i get headaches while trying to read your stuff....
If a forum
has features, use them!

All IMO