Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:56 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
0mar
Sturmbannführer

0mar is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I know someone who got Walmart plates. One weighed 39lbs and the other weighed 46lbs. Blech.

I wonder if anyone on CL would buy my ****ty ass plates, I'll probably sell all 800lbs for like $75. Pieces of ****.
yea, that's always a concern. Wal-Mart is great on returns though, so it shouldn't really matter. FWIW, my plates were +/- 2lbs of 45, which is fine by me.
"You think yer smart? Think you can outsmart a bullet?"
"Americans will pay big bucks for horny goat weed, but won't pay for an aortic aneurysm to be fixed."
0mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:19 PM   #212
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Deadlifted 285 last night, might do it one more time before tackling 290. Almost out of weights. Rack isn't going to be here until at least Jan21.

Not sure where I will get the plates yet. Considering just buying quality stuff from here on, so I need to check around and price them. I just want a pair of 45's for now. Any recommendations on which plates to buy? I know ice will recommend Ivankos. Any others?

Edit: Looks like a pair of Ivanko plates would be about $240

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard

Last edited by OverclockN' : Jan 14, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:26 PM   #213
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Deadlifted 285 last night, might do it one more time before tackling 290. Almost out of weights. Rack isn't going to be here until at least Jan21.

Not sure where I will get the plates yet. Considering just buying quality stuff from here on, so I need to check around and price them. I just want a pair of 45's for now. Any recommendations on which plates to buy? I know ice will recommend Ivankos. Any others?
Iron Grip
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:37 PM   #214
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

Spyder is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
^ I think this is your problem. So 2x25min of cardio? Your body is barely getting warmed up in that time much less converting to burning calories. Keep what your doing but non stop cardio of 1hr minimum at a good calorie burning heart rate. Pounds should drop then.
My first session is 30min and my 2nd so far is generally 20 though I did another 30 once. I hope this isn't the problem though because I don't think I could do 1 hour of cardio in one stretch at this point - it'd just be too much for me. I go on the eliptical and i'm at the high end of the cardio heart rate the whole time. At about 8-10 mins I'm getting sweaty and at 30 i'm literally dripping. I hit the weights at this point because I honestly need a break.

Both sessions combined, at least adding up the calories burned as indicated on the machien after i put in my age and weight, is roughly 725 calories (425ish first time, 300ish the 2nd).. plus whatever the weights do for me.

Thank you for the feedback though - I'll push myself to go longer when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitoR View Post
If your main goal is to lose weight you need to figure out where your BMR sits roughly, there is an equation to calculate but i've found that the online calculators are pretty accurate.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Once you determine roughly how many calories it takes to sustain your current weight at a sedentary lifestyle any added exercise you will contribute to your caloric deficit, typically 3500 calories is one pound, so just saying if a persons BMR needs are roughly 2500 calories a day and you are actively burning another 1000 - 1500 through exercise and daily duties you have 3500 - 4000 calories to maintain weight anything under that will be a deficit, typically i would aim for around 1500 to 1800 calorie deficit a day, 2000 tops, which equates to ~10500 calories a week or 3 pounds anything more than that you risk shutting down your metabolism and entering starvation mode and your body will retain everything it can including fat , yes it will take from muscle first because fat is the last line of defence. It just takes time.

I would stay between 1800 and 2200 calories per day, lots of fibre and veggies, hold back on the heavy foods but don't deprive yourself either, dump empty calories like drinks with calories and treats like candy. Get a scale and count calories religiously, some people have food journals, never hurts to educate yourself on food habits, can show where you went wrong in the first place and teach you proper portion sizes.

Plan your meals... have a huge salad before your main meal it will help fill you up, stay active take small steps to make things more difficult, walk 10000 steps a day, they don't tell you to walk to lose weight for nothing, it works and it works well, if you are lifting weights you could be gaining muscle which weighs more than fat and can also offset any differences on the scale, and as far as the scale goes you will notice you tend to fluctuate from day to day up and down but will have a tendancy to have a low time during the week as well as a high time.

Don't get discouraged, it's all about figuring out a plan and then seeing it through and tailoring it along the way.

Personally i don't really like male oriented weight loss sites, they tend to be mostly muscle heads, if you just want to lose some weight without being arnold schwarzenegger i suggest a site like 3 fat chicks, it in my opinion is more difficult for women to lose weight with less muscle mass so when they find things that work you best listen and implement similar actions, plus they are a heck of a lot nicer.
thanks for the feedback. it sounds like i'm doing all the right things because i'm implementing most of what you said..right down to the 1800 calories a day. Its early days and I just need to keep at it like you said and I should eventually get results.

thanks guys
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:46 PM   #215
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

I don't understand getting on a treadmill and slogging away for 30 minutes. If you want to burn fat do some form of interval training. Me, I run sprints.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:47 PM   #216
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
My first session is 30min and my 2nd so far is generally 20 though I did another 30 once. I hope this isn't the problem though because I don't think I could do 1 hour of cardio in one stretch at this point - it'd just be too much for me. I go on the eliptical and i'm at the high end of the cardio heart rate the whole time. At about 8-10 mins I'm getting sweaty and at 30 i'm literally dripping. I hit the weights at this point because I honestly need a break.

Both sessions combined, at least adding up the calories burned as indicated on the machien after i put in my age and weight, is roughly 725 calories (425ish first time, 300ish the 2nd).. plus whatever the weights do for me.

Thank you for the feedback though - I'll push myself to go longer when I can.

thanks for the feedback. it sounds like i'm doing all the right things because i'm implementing most of what you said..right down to the 1800 calories a day. Its early days and I just need to keep at it like you said and I should eventually get results.

thanks guys
I doubt splitting your cardio up is a boon in any way. You're going to keep your heart rate up if your weight training regime is tough. I'd try spending more than 20-30 minutes on weights though, try to go for 40 or more if you can manage.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:11 PM   #217
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

I assume you want to pick up in person right? If so, Ivankos are likely out of the question. They do have several different types, not just the amazingly awesome ones I want that cost $5000/lb. They make an economy black plate that looks like the ones I have only they're actually good. They're not bad price wise either.

York also makes good stuff depending on what kind you get, their site lists their crap plates along with their good ones though.

Hampton makes some nice ones too, I'll have to let you know of others when I get home.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:00 PM   #218
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Damn, just tried to up my max on shoulder press from 50lbs per arm to 55,my right arm wasn't having it... couldn't even get the weight above my head
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:18 PM   #219
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Damn, just tried to up my max on shoulder press from 50lbs per arm to 55,my right arm wasn't having it... couldn't even get the weight above my head
Shoulder press sucks. I started out at 90lbs in Oct and am now at 120lbs, doing 5 sets of 5. The weight just climbs so slow, especially compared to Deadlift, which has gone up considerably. I think I'll be moving to 125 shoulder press soon, but it sure takes a lot of damn work.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:55 PM   #220
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Shoulder press sucks. I started out at 90lbs in Oct and am now at 120lbs, doing 5 sets of 5. The weight just climbs so slow, especially compared to Deadlift, which has gone up considerably. I think I'll be moving to 125 shoulder press soon, but it sure takes a lot of damn work.
Is that per arm or combined weight? I started at 35 per arm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:00 PM   #221
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Is that per arm or combined weight? I started at 35 per arm
Combined, I never do per arm...at least not since I got my Olympic weight set. I do standing shoulder presses with the 7' bar. I don't have the rack yet, so I'm currently cleaning the weight from the floor to chest and then shoulder press from there 5x reps and 5x sets.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:05 PM   #222
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Combined, I never do per arm...at least not since I got my Olympic weight set. I do standing shoulder presses with the 7' bar. I don't have the rack yet, so I'm currently cleaning the weight from the floor to chest and then shoulder press from there 5x reps and 5x sets.
I don't do single arms either, just think of the weight as per arm I think next time I can hit 110, we'll see. I did the 100 and felt quite good about it but then I just couldn't pick up the 110 I do my shoulder presses on a seated bench using individual weights.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:11 PM   #223
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I don't do single arms either, just think of the weight as per arm I think next time I can hit 110, we'll see. I did the 100 and felt quite good about it but then I just couldn't pick up the 110 I do my shoulder presses on a seated bench using individual weights.
I understood what you meant, I did them that way too until I bought the new weight set. Shoulder presses are tough as hell, but it sure seems effective! Im going to keep shoulder presses with my program I think when the cage arrives. Will probably do 2x shoulder press days for every 1x bench press. Still putting together the routine, so we will see. I just need to get doing squats as soon as possible.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Last edited by OverclockN' : Jan 14, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:23 PM   #224
swingline
Dab on them folks

Subscriber

Quote:
I understood what you meant, I did them that way too until I bought the new weight set. Shoulder presses are tough as hell, but it sure seems effective! Im going to keep shoulder presses with my program I think when the cage arrives. Will probably do 2x shoulder press days for every 1x bench press. Still putting together the routine, so we will see. I just need to get doing square as soon as possible.
It's up to you but I would take it easy with shoulders. You over-work them and you're going to hurt something. You'll nurse a shoulder injury for years and it will eat into your workouts. I do shoulders once a week and that is more than enough.

RIP Jesse
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:25 PM   #225
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

i am jacked.

/thread.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:34 PM   #226
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
It's up to you but I would take it easy with shoulders. You over-work them and you're going to hurt something. You'll nurse a shoulder injury for years and it will eat into your workouts. I do shoulders once a week and that is more than enough.
That's all I do as well, once a week is more than enough I feel. My left shoulder, when I started, used to pop any time I'd do a rep, that's since gone away thankfully, I was pretty scared I'd injure my shoulder because of that.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:35 PM   #227
Langsuyar
Radeon R600

Langsuyar is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I don't understand getting on a treadmill and slogging away for 30 minutes. If you want to burn fat do some form of interval training. Me, I run sprints.
Because training at or below your VT1 (zone 1 cardio), fat is the primary source of fuel. That's why the machines are pretty damn slow in the fat burn cycle when you look at the graphs printed on them.
Forever I'll remain
Langsuyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:46 PM   #228
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Any proof that I'm overworking them? I really don't think that's the case. I've been doing it every other day for over 3mo. Never any issues. I have good form, never any pain, and I've made great progress. I haven't read anything that contradicts what I've been doing thus far. I've been following pretty closely with a book that I have.

Not arguing, just looking for further education on it and proof. I'll continue what I've been doing and keep meeting my goals/makin progress until I am directed otherwise by proof.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:05 PM   #229
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

As long as form is proper and you have no existing issues, your shoulders can be worked more than once a week. Shoulders are a bitch because they aren't forgiving, so that one time your form slips up you could severely jack something up, but it's fairly easy to tell when you push anything too hard.

The problem a lot of people have is they don't do any rehab type stuff for shoulders. When you get to pushing a good amount of weight, you should be doing the basic exercises with the girly pink dumbbells that physical therapy would have you do. Rotator cuff etc. stuff. I'm guilty of not doing it as well.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:13 PM   #230
swingline
Dab on them folks

Subscriber

Quote:
Any proof that I'm overworking them? I really don't think that's the case. I've been doing it every other day for over 3mo. Never any issues. I have good form, never any pain, and I've made great progress. I haven't read anything that contradicts what I've been doing thus far. I've been following pretty closely with a book that I have.

Not arguing, just looking for further education on it and proof. I'll continue what I've been doing and keep meeting my goals/makin progress until I am directed otherwise by proof.
Obviously everyone is different. If it's working for you then keep it up. I've just seen a lot of rotator cuff and tendonitis issues creep up on guys.

Myself, I've got an issue in my left shoulder that flares up every now and again after I hurt it doing weighted dips.

RIP Jesse
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:15 PM   #231
swingline
Dab on them folks

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
As long as form is proper and you have no existing issues, your shoulders can be worked more than once a week. Shoulders are a bitch because they aren't forgiving, so that one time your form slips up you could severely jack something up, but it's fairly easy to tell when you push anything too hard.

The problem a lot of people have is they don't do any rehab type stuff for shoulders. When you get to pushing a good amount of weight, you should be doing the basic exercises with the girly pink dumbbells that physical therapy would have you do. Rotator cuff etc. stuff. I'm guilty of not doing it as well.
Pretty much what I was trying to get at.

RIP Jesse
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:23 PM   #232
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Being 80 pounds over weight and out of shape might have something to do with it, weight loss isn't a race, it's a journey, if one just jumps off the couch and does as you say they will probably injure themselves or have a heart attack.

Losing weight is only half the battle, the fact that one is over weight indicates lack of knowledge and a poor relationship with food, just starving yourself to lose weight and then returning to your former patterns will only result in a return of the weight, attempting to much and injuring yourself will effectively cripple your only asset to burn calories ~ your body.

Walking is ideal because it is easier on your joints and maintains an elevated heart rate for longer periods than running due to the time it takes to go the same distance, sure you might burn at a faster rate running but you would not run the same duration of time as one might walk, the number one factor for burn is time spent not the greatest effort.

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:27 PM   #233
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Obviously everyone is different. If it's working for you then keep it up. I've just seen a lot of rotator cuff and tendonitis issues creep up on guys.

Myself, I've got an issue in my left shoulder that flares up every now and again after I hurt it doing weighted dips.
No problem, I understand...and appreciate the advice/concern. I'm basically still starting out. I've made good progress (in my eyes) but am careful about how and when I add weights and am always working on my form and trying to keep it inline. I'm doing core strength training right now and the standing shoulder presses are highly recommended for that, along with deadlifting and squats.

When I start getting higher in the weights and start focusing on individual muscle groups, I won't be hitting the shoulders so hard. As for now, I'm enjoying the routine and am making steady progress. It's been virtually pain free and slow-going...but that's just fine with me as long as progress is being made. I'm in no hurry.

This was me about a month ago:

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:47 PM   #234
swingline
Dab on them folks

Subscriber

Quote:
snip
You're right man. I understand having to lose weight before you can actually start to lose weight. I wasn't implying that someone who is out of shape should start working out by running pyramid wind sprints. Also, there's a difference between being "fit" by some standard or another and being athletic. I see people at the gym slogging away on the treadmill that look "fit" but who can't go both ways during a pickup game of hoops.

Quote:
snip
You'll make awesome gains when you start out so don't forget to start mixing things up when you begin to plateau. Looks like you're off to a great start.

RIP Jesse
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:54 PM   #235
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Being 80 pounds over weight and out of shape might have something to do with it, weight loss isn't a race, it's a journey, if one just jumps off the couch and does as you say they will probably injure themselves or have a heart attack.

Losing weight is only half the battle, the fact that one is over weight indicates lack of knowledge and a poor relationship with food, just starving yourself to lose weight and then returning to your former patterns will only result in a return of the weight, attempting to much and injuring yourself will effectively cripple your only asset to burn calories ~ your body.

Walking is ideal because it is easier on your joints and maintains an elevated heart rate for longer periods than running due to the time it takes to go the same distance, sure you might burn at a faster rate running but you would not run the same duration of time as one might walk, the number one factor for burn is time spent not the greatest effort.
That's why after a workout I'll walk my dogs for 4mi or more. I'd never be able to run that but I sure as hell can handle it at a brisk pace.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:57 PM   #236
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
You'll make awesome gains when you start out so don't forget to start mixing things up when you begin to plateau. Looks like you're off to a great start.
Definitely, I'll keep that in mind. Once I get to where I want to be with the core building stuff, I'll start to focus on individual muscle groups and will mix everything up as needed. I have a very long way to go though...

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:51 PM   #237
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Same arm routine as last week, complete with GIF!

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:04 AM   #238
Archy2097
Radeon R700

Archy2097 is still being judged by the masses

Went to the gym for the first time in like 4 months and did Squats, Bench Presses, Deadlifts and Dips... freakin' grad school. I feel way better already, clearly I need to just blow off some of the work I was doing and get to the gym 3 times a week.

Archy2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:39 AM   #239
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationcurio has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Good lord ice, your arms are as big as my legs
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:13 AM   #240
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Good lord ice, your arms are as big as my legs
Not my legs, my legs are beefy