Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Jan 24, 2022, 07:16 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Default New to me winter beater/tow rig

It's a 2005, has the 5.7l Hemi V8 and 4x4. Has 146k miles on it, runs flawlessly, drives great. Also traded our Golf 2.5 in on it as well, since we don't need to bring that to Ohio.

It's rated to pull 7200lbs, so more than enough headroom to haul my E30 or Miata to track days. It's been in central Texas its whole life so not a speck of rust on it. This specific configuration is kind of a unicorn in this area, most people are speccing these RWD or with smaller engines. Pretty excited about it. Going to go through it a bit, do some fluid changes and just check it over in general before we drive it the 1500 miles to our new home next month.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2022, 09:00 PM   #2
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Good job! You'll need it in Ohio. Nice looking for its age must've been well cared for.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2022, 06:51 AM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

If anyone knows anything about rust proofing undercoating I'd appreciate any info you can give. That will be one of the first things I get done when we get to Ohio. There's no places in Texas that really do that. I've looked around Ohio and found some places, but not sure which to go with.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 30, 2022, 07:29 AM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got under there to change the oil, found the previous owner installed a nice oil drain valve, made the oil change real easy.

Also found the front diff was leaking, so removed the cover and resealed it. Really happy with how easy this thing is to work on. Also going to replace the fluid on the rear diff and reseal it as a preventative before driving 1500 miles to Ohio.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 07:58 PM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got the diff finished up today and then installed the head unit. Nice to have wireless Android Auto in the Jeep now.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 12:21 AM   #6
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Bless your heart for buying a Chrysler product from that era. Although I do have a soft spot for WJ and WK's.

At least you got the 5.7L so you didn't get a POS transmission.
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2022, 06:50 AM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
Bless your heart for buying a Chrysler product from that era. Although I do have a soft spot for WJ and WK's.

At least you got the 5.7L so you didn't get a POS transmission.
I looked at other options from the era, and between GM and Ford the interiors were just junk and tow rating was a lot lower than this. The interior on the WK is head and shoulders above anything from GM, Ford, or even Dodge at the time. Finding 4x4 SUVs in central Texas is also pretty difficult I've found. Most people option them RWD it seems.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 03:00 PM   #8
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Nice buy Elysian. Hope it serves you as well as my (Much older lol) Cherokee served me
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2022, 04:49 PM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Drove it around in the winter storm here in Austin yesterday and today, it was a beast. Very comfortable too, will be nice on the drive to Ohio in a couple of weeks.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 04:06 PM   #10
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
If anyone knows anything about rust proofing undercoating I'd appreciate any info you can give. That will be one of the first things I get done when we get to Ohio. There's no places in Texas that really do that. I've looked around Ohio and found some places, but not sure which to go with.
The US made stuff is the best. Corrosion Free (tested by canadian military who keep their stuff til they drop) and Fluid Film Ive read are about tops. I use the corrosion free myself and the 7 year old Rav is pretty much rust free. Tip good idea to keep your truck outside in the winter as the freeze and melt cycling in a heated garage will soak the underside with salty water regularly.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2022, 01:44 PM   #11
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I looked at other options from the era, and between GM and Ford the interiors were just junk and tow rating was a lot lower than this. The interior on the WK is head and shoulders above anything from GM, Ford, or even Dodge at the time. Finding 4x4 SUVs in central Texas is also pretty difficult I've found. Most people option them RWD it seems.
Yeah the Explorer tow rating is sad for that time period, and the transmission is worse than a 4L60.

Honestly from that time period the only SUVs still worth a damn is an 03+ Tahoe/Yukon if it was kept in decent condition and didn't spend it's entire life sitting out in the Texas sun, or a 06+ Expedition/Navigator, but it's damn near impossible to find one that hasn't been trashed by now.

The Durango of that vintage is more or less the same. Although I think the center stack, and the shape of the seats are nicer in the WK, and the WK is just more physically appealing.

You should have fun with it, though. With proper maintenance those HEMIs are good for like 300K+.
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Old Feb 6, 2022, 04:07 PM   #12
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
Yeah the Explorer tow rating is sad for that time period, and the transmission is worse than a 4L60.

Honestly from that time period the only SUVs still worth a damn is an 03+ Tahoe/Yukon if it was kept in decent condition and didn't spend it's entire life sitting out in the Texas sun, or a 06+ Expedition/Navigator, but it's damn near impossible to find one that hasn't been trashed by now.

The Durango of that vintage is more or less the same. Although I think the center stack, and the shape of the seats are nicer in the WK, and the WK is just more physically appealing.

You should have fun with it, though. With proper maintenance those HEMIs are good for like 300K+.
Yeah I looked at the Durango, but in that era it's a full size, was more looking for a capable mid size, like Explorers, Trailblazers, or the Grand Cherokee. I'm really not into super large vehicles anymore.

Anyways, did some good work on the Jeep today. Replaced the old backup camera with a new one, replaced the grungy steering wheel (which had a cheap leather wrap put over the original leather) with a stock vinyl wheel, replaced one of the 12v outlets with a dual USB (one for data to the stereo and one for power only), fixed the steering wheel buttons not working on the stereo, added the OBD2 data to the stereo for the gauge screen, and cleaned the heck out of the interior.

Old Feb 7, 2022, 01:07 PM   #13
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Love the new camera.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 01:34 PM   #14
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Camera and that head unit
Old Feb 7, 2022, 01:41 PM   #15
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Preview of what you might be in for. The bump on the left is my wife’s car lol.

Old Feb 7, 2022, 07:40 PM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Changed the spark plugs today, here's one bank:

And the other:

They were pretty nasty, definitely gained back some power after the swap.

Previous owner cheaped out with these copper plugs... I put NGK Iridium IX's in. $170 spark plug change but well worth it. So weird that Hemis have 2 spark plugs per cylinder.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:53 PM   #17
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Previous owner cheaped out with these copper plugs... I put NGK Iridium IX's in. $170 spark plug change but well worth it. So weird that Hemis have 2 spark plugs per cylinder.
It's for emissions.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 03:56 PM   #18
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post

holy shyt

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2022, 07:13 PM   #19
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Picked this up from a local, will be pretty helpful on our drive to Ohio in a couple weeks.

Could use some paint but I'll do that in the spring.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 11:17 AM   #20
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post

Is that Canadian summer?

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2022, 04:39 PM   #21
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Gotta say, I already really love this Jeep. I've driven other Jeeps before, TJ's, but this is just such a nice driving vehicle, love the power, and the AWD works great. Fuel economy could be better, but I'm glad I bought this to be my 2nd vehicle to the Miata. Hopefully it's reliable for me, I'm putting the work in now hoping it pays off in the future.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 05:02 PM   #22
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got my phone mount installed. Decided to get a 15w wireless charging phone mount for my OnePlus 9 Pro, since the head unit is wireless Android Auto.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 06:26 PM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

And one more piece of the moving puzzle, picked up a Yakima Skybox 16 Carbonite.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 12:57 PM   #24
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got the Travall dividers installed, and the dogs fit back there great, and even love being back there.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 10:24 AM   #25
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Refilled the rear diff oil and went for a drive again, much improved, there's still a slight whine around 60-65 but it's much quieter than it was before.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 06:38 PM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Finally towed with the Jeep today, it wasn't bad. Could use some sort of load leveling in the rear, but otherwise it towed this like nothing was there.

Old Apr 13, 2022, 08:13 PM   #27
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Bought a car hauler today.