Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:19 AM   #7651
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I'm starting to have a hard time recovering from my longer runs. My left calf winds up hurting quite a bit, and I have to take more days off than I want. I want to be able to run every other day, but when I run 4-5 miles I wind up having to take 2-4 days off. I'm stretching and foam rolling my calves regularly, but it's not enough. I also do a lot of stretching before I run. Anyone have any suggestions?

edit: Part of it may be my shoes, I've worn them out... Going to be looking for new shoes tonight...

Last edited by Elysian : Sep 20, 2021 at 11:30 AM.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2021, 10:53 AM   #7652
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Bought a new pair of shoes yesterday, my expensive Nike running shoes only lasted 5 months. This shoe had the most similarly shaped sole, and really does feel pretty nice. It's also half the cost. Broke them in this morning on a 2.5ish mile run, kept a good pace and felt pretty good about everything. No soreness in my left calf is the most important thing, I think my Nikes were just way past their prime.

Old Sep 23, 2021, 10:13 AM   #7653
Elysian
SCAATSJW

5 miles this morning, took a breather at 2.5mi, but went non-stop otherwise. New shoes felt good.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 24, 2021, 01:53 PM   #7654
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Back in the swing of things finally after a bad few weeks of personal stuff. Begrudgingly lost 10lbs.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2021, 02:25 PM   #7655
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Recovery from the 5 mile run yesterday is actually going pretty well this time, I stretched my calves a few times yesterday, did some heating pad, and foam rolled. Today there's a little bit of soreness but nowhere near what I had before.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 02:48 PM   #7656
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Recovery from the 5 mile run yesterday is actually going pretty well this time, I stretched my calves a few times yesterday, did some heating pad, and foam rolled. Today there's a little bit of soreness but nowhere near what I had before.
Those workarounds for aging muscles do help

Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:19 AM   #7657
Renocide
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Renocide is still being judged by the masses

Hit 212 today. From 247.

Yesterday I weighed in at 215 in the morning.

I had a banana split after dinner(figured **** it I hit 215 lets celebrate).

My body is like "**** nutrition. I DO WHAT I WANT!!"
Renocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:29 AM   #7658
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got 3 miles in this morning, felt good. Also weighed in at 195 this morning.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 08:08 PM   #7659
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Made some changes, got motivated again.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:27 PM   #7660
Java Cool Dude
With my family

Java Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled with

6 feet tall, 212lbs as of today mashAllah!
Java Cool Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2021, 08:15 AM   #7661
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Note: The last 6 lbs is a heart breaker.

I’m eating just a little bit too much every day, and some things I eat certainly don’t help.

Ice cream, too often

/lost_cause
Old Jan 8, 2022, 06:09 PM   #7662
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Don't get too excited

I'll get back as strong as I was 15 years ago, someday.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2022, 07:00 PM   #7663
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Yo Vin Diesel, put some effort into it will ya?

says the skinny hairy old man
Old Jan 8, 2022, 07:08 PM   #7664
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Yo Vin Diesel, put some effort into it will ya?

says the skinny hairy old man
I try to Sir, but I'm afraid I can't turn back father time and become younger.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 07:14 PM   #7665
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Oh jeez tell me about it My heart says 40, my body dearly pays for it when I try to act like it
Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:17 PM   #7666
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Damn bro you look cut! Sexy devil you!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2022, 09:20 AM   #7667
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Quote:
Oh jeez tell me about it My heart says 40, my body dearly pays for it when I try to act like it
It's happening to me too, believe me. Every compound movement I feel the joints begging for oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Damn bro you look cut! Sexy devil you!
Thanks, I do it to make my wife and her sisters happy
Old Jan 9, 2022, 09:27 AM   #7668
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:

Thanks, I do it to make my wife and her sisters happy
what the heck
Old Jan 9, 2022, 09:50 AM   #7669
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Tiz a joke. A really bad one.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 09:56 AM   #7670
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Tiz a joke. A really bad one.
It got me laughing. First thing I thought of was MY wife’s sisters, and then “Aw heck NO!”
Old Jan 9, 2022, 09:58 AM   #7671
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
It got me laughing. First thing I thought of was MY wife’s sisters, and then “Aw heck NO!”

Ex wife's sister, OTOH.....

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2022, 08:51 AM   #7672
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I need new basketball shoes. I wore a hole in the bottom of them and they are barely 6 months old.

Sittal on BF2142 "wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."

Logical "u dont have to lie to us that u got fired again we dont judge here that your 🌯 weren't up to snuff."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2022, 07:46 AM   #7673
Lazy8s
One day at a time

I did my first “workout” since having covid this morning. 30 minutes, more like an active recovery. I just felt weak, but heart rate and breathing were ok.

So it felt really good doing something, but man, can’t wait to feel a little more myself rather than this “tired old dude” feeling I have now.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 08:59 AM   #7674
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Quote:
I did my first “workout” since having covid this morning. 30 minutes, more like an active recovery. I just felt weak, but heart rate and breathing were ok.

So it felt really good doing something, but man, can’t wait to feel a little more myself rather than this “tired old dude” feeling I have now.
Just remember, even Rocky couldn't catch the chicken in the beginning. If that makes any sense. Which it probably doesn't.

Glad to hear you're making a recovery, that's really the important part. Only a matter of time before you're back to running marathons
Old Jan 15, 2022, 09:07 AM   #7675
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Just remember, even Rocky couldn't catch the chicken in the beginning. If that makes any sense. Which it probably doesn't.

Glad to hear you're making a recovery, that's really the important part. Only a matter of time before you're back to running marathons
That chicken…caught me

yeah it’ll get there eventually
Old Jan 17, 2022, 04:59 AM   #7676
Lazy8s
One day at a time

I got my next scheduled workout finished this morning.

I decided to stick with body weight for 1 week, so nothing but squats, pushups and pull ups today - 40 minutes at a decent pace, definitely feeling an improvement over the last attempt.

One day at a time.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 04:32 PM   #7677
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Last year I lost a fair bit of weight (18kg or 40 freedom units), so this year I'm trying to build muscle and tone. So far I've worked out that my flexibility is poor, especially in my hip area. My posture is not good either but I knew that already. I'm rotating through youtube videos for abs, legs, arms, ass, etc. Most of them get my muscles burning by the end. My first few sessions resulted in pretty bad soreness 2 days after, but that has reduced now.

I'm amazed at how many fitness videos there are on youtube, for all types of muscle groups and various lengths/intensities. It's a great resource and a number of them are quite encouraging and/or explain the targeted muscles really well.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2022, 06:27 AM   #7678
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Try to get in some leg strength training a few times a week. I do squats, calf extends, and jump roping about 2 to 3 times a week. This will help with your calves. Another thing I do is rotate my shoes. I have 3 pairs of shoes I rotate each run.

Since tearing my ACL three years ago I have had a hard time running like I used to. Gained a lot of weight which has led to planter fasciitis. It really hit me bad in September and I am just now getting back to running. Keeping it small distances 3 to 5 miles.

225 goal to get back to 200 by summer Yeah, long way from 175 6 yrs ago after losing 140 in 2012 (315 max). Sucks getting old :P
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Fedora 35
VR
Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
Consoles
SteamDeck|Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBOXSeries|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Saturn|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2022, 02:14 AM   #7679
ugly
Radeon R700

ugly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyugly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmt View Post
Try to get in some leg strength training a few times a week. I do squats, calf extends, and jump roping about 2 to 3 times a week. This will help with your calves. Another thing I do is rotate my shoes. I have 3 pairs of shoes I rotate each run.

Since tearing my ACL three years ago I have had a hard time running like I used to. Gained a lot of weight which has led to planter fasciitis. It really hit me bad in September and I am just now getting back to running. Keeping it small distances 3 to 5 miles.

225 goal to get back to 200 by summer Yeah, long way from 175 6 yrs ago after losing 140 in 2012 (315 max). Sucks getting old :P
That sucks. In my experience, getting older slows you down a little bit. But getting injured really screws you.

If you're out for 3+ months where you can barely walk that's very difficult to recover from. You're almost guaranteed to put on 15 pounds. You feel terrible when you get back. You're likely to run into some other injury when you do finally get back to getting some fitness in, which will result in a setback. Because you're heavier, and out of shape everything is harder. And just to pile on, you tend to feel totally discouraged by how much of a step you've lost in that time.

I remember blowing out my groin muscle playing hockey when I was about 27. I was out for a year. Once I got back to playing again, it probably took another year before I felt close to where I was before. And that's at pre-30s.

It's really tough to get back where you were.
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2022, 02:35 AM   #7680
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJasef doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJasef doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJasef doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJasef doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJasef doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJasef doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJasef doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Did some redecoration in the gym. Time to get strong again.