Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jan 11, 2022, 01:21 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Am I being unrealistic?

Turned 40 last November and I have been discussing with my friend about starting a mobile game company.

Problem with that is, I haven't exactly been coding for the last twenty years and need to take a one year online course to get myself back on track. Only learned C++, HTML and Javascript before.

Say how feasible is it to be a game programmer for someone my age?

Long story short, I am currently working at a dead-end job where my brother majorly owns. I do have decent money but my salary is simply dreadful. Work environment is pretty darn toxic and I can't expect a raise for some time to come. Yes, my job depresses + stresses the heck out of me.

Certain I want a change.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2022, 01:30 AM   #2
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Why not join one of the many startups? Might get good salary and maybe stock options that may have value in 2-3 years depending on startups IPO path.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2022, 01:34 AM   #3
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Passion is everything. If you want to develop games then you'll find a way to do it. Learning Java won't be too bad if you have decent experience with c++ and JavaScript.

Best plan might be to do a shallow dive into mobile gaming. Make a few basic projects and see how that goes. Age is really no barrier here.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 11, 2022, 01:54 AM   #4
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

i'll have to side with KAC on this one. Without any real knowledge and experience it wouldn't be a good idea to dive into that kind of business

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2022, 06:51 AM   #5
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Completely? Enjoy man. And that core experience with those languages will translate well if you switch something else as well

Not to mention, if you choose to work with an existing game engine, your kinda golden .

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2022, 07:11 AM   #6
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Sundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

You can do it dude.
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2022, 07:14 AM   #7
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Long story short, I am currently working at a dead-end job where my brother majorly owns. I do have decent money but my salary is simply dreadful. Work environment is pretty darn toxic and I can't expect a raise for some time to come. Yes, my job depresses + stresses the heck out of me.

Certain I want a change.

Just be aware that while your salary might not be great right now, it'll be 0 for a very long time if not forever at your new venture. There are ridiculous number of mobile games out there... you could make the best damned game and not attract attention, ergo low sales. Or you could make a middling game that people don't care to play when there are better ones.

I'd council against this. If you want to do it in your off time that's one thing, but throwing away a career on a longshot bet is foolish. If you really hate your current job look for something else.

If you DID do something in your off time, work up a mockup/pre-Alpha to demonstrate the ideas and then shop it around to actual houses to try to get funding. At that point you actually have a job instead of just a dream.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:04 AM   #8
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
...There are ridiculous number of mobile games out there... you could make the best damned game and not attract attention, ergo low sales. Or you could make a middling game that people don't care to play when there are better ones.

I'd council against this. If you want to do it in your off time that's one thing, but throwing away a career on a longshot bet is foolish. If you really hate your current job look for something else.

If you DID do something in your off time, work up a mockup/pre-Alpha to demonstrate the ideas and then shop it around to actual houses to try to get funding. At that point you actually have a job instead of just a dream.
Yeah on top of this some markets have gotten really restrictive on game approvals and for a certain demographic in that market their game time has also been restricted such that ad revenue for them has shrunk a lot. I agree with koralis, make a game on spare time and shop it to one of the majors. Especially a major that knows how the approval process works and the manpower to turn on a dime if approval conditions change so the game isn't offline for too long.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2022, 01:06 PM   #9
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I second the "Learn and make it on your own time" while maintaining a steady income stream.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2022, 01:45 PM   #10
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Watch this first:

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2022, 07:35 PM   #11
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Thank you for all the great points everyone!

It sure doesn't look like this is a job that might not be able to provide me consistent money in the first year.

But how me and my friend discussed this, there will be a couple people (some with more experience) involved, where pay will be determined by how much work one puts in.

Government support have been rather restrictive here in Hong Kong as well, as my friend have been applying for government funding for new businesses for years now without any success.

Might as well just work in IT and learn programming languages such as C++ and Java on the side?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote