Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:51 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Intel Z690 Motherboard Costs Explained

Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:14 AM   #2
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Motherboards in general are expensive, and Intels has always been higher due to higher licensing cost for the chipset. But even looking at Z490/590 boards, normally they'd be getting clearanced out, but they are still $2-300.

The biggest pet peeve on these new boards for me, is the cheapening out on alot of components. For example most Z690 boards are coming with ALC 897 audio chips vs 4080 which just came out last gen, or before even 1200/1220. They are skimming down on these boards, and still charging a premium. It's all a cash grab. Do you know how old ALC 897 chips are ???
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:07 PM   #3
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Motherboards in general are expensive, and Intels has always been higher due to higher licensing cost for the chipset. But even looking at Z490/590 boards, normally they'd be getting clearanced out, but they are still $2-300.

The biggest pet peeve on these new boards for me, is the cheapening out on alot of components. For example most Z690 boards are coming with ALC 897 audio chips vs 4080 which just came out last gen, or before even 1200/1220. They are skimming down on these boards, and still charging a premium. It's all a cash grab. Do you know how old ALC 897 chips are ???
Dude! Where have you been? You ok?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:48 PM   #4
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Dude! Where have you been? You ok?
Sorry I completely forgot I even posted in the COVID thread updated!
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Dec 9, 2021, 01:01 PM   #5
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Sorry I completely forgot I even posted in the COVID thread updated!
Yeah brah, peeps were worried about you!

yoz
Old Dec 9, 2021, 01:49 PM   #6
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

apparently many z690 boards are using really cheap cpu sockets as well.

so under the heat load they and the boards are warping?

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:08 PM   #7
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyfO Che -USA- can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

$200+ motherboards with Realtek network adapters and sloppy bioses. Even the box felt cheap.

The TUF Z690-Plus gaming is a dumb board. Why does a gaming motherboard have PCI-e slots right below the 16X PEG slot.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:33 PM   #8
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fO Che -USA- View Post
$200+ motherboards with Realtek network adapters and sloppy bioses. Even the box felt cheap.

The TUF Z690-Plus gaming is a dumb board. Why does a gaming motherboard have PCI-e slots right below the 16X PEG slot.
Look up the Tech Yes City review of the board, they crucify the audio on it. Very poor implementation.

I just built a Z690 / 12600k, but I went with the Gigabyte Gaming X DDR4. It has pretty decent VRMs (60 amp, but lower quality), but it has the ALC 1220 chip for audio, and pretty good m.2 thermal sinks.

I was bouncing between it and the MSI A-Pro, but it uses the ALC 897 chip, and I refuse to spend $200 on a motherboard with an audio chip from a decade ago.

So far, the Gigabyte works fine, had to do an immediate bios update to detect the m.2. Gigabyte seems to be on the Bios's pretty quick surprisingly. There are already 6 different revisions.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Dec 13, 2021, 03:20 PM   #9
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

High end motherboards used to be $200~$300 just 5 years ago.

Since the 9900's came out those prices have been going higher and higher with less on the boards. I feel for anyone today looking to get an Asus Maximus Formula board. They are $800~$900. Heros are $600 FFS!

Asus has a freaking $2,000.00 motherboard. ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme Glacial.

andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2021, 03:36 PM   #10
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyfO Che -USA- can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Look up the Tech Yes City review of the board, they crucify the audio on it. Very poor implementation.

I just built a Z690 / 12600k, but I went with the Gigabyte Gaming X DDR4. It has pretty decent VRMs (60 amp, but lower quality), but it has the ALC 1220 chip for audio, and pretty good m.2 thermal sinks.

I was bouncing between it and the MSI A-Pro, but it uses the ALC 897 chip, and I refuse to spend $200 on a motherboard with an audio chip from a decade ago.

So far, the Gigabyte works fine, had to do an immediate bios update to detect the m.2. Gigabyte seems to be on the Bios's pretty quick surprisingly. There are already 6 different revisions.

See I didn't even notice the audio quality. That sucks, I think even X570 Auros elite it replaced had the newer audio

Gigabyte to me has improved the most.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 03:42 PM   #11
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Asus has a freaking $2,000.00 motherboard. ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme Glacial.

WTF!?

yoz
Old Dec 13, 2021, 06:13 PM   #12
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

$2,000.00 for that.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 06:22 PM   #13
acroig
Troll SMod

Ok, built in WB but still, 2K?

yoz
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:57 PM   #14
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

The prices on motherboards just don't make sense. Even with the silicon shortages. They just don't make sense and haven't for a few years now.