Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:10 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber
Default GPS apps for Android

What are your favourites? Any a good replacement for a dedicated automotive GPS?

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:16 AM   #2
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Navigon

/thread
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:15 PM   #3
taz291819
Radeon Northern Islands

taz291819 is still being judged by the masses

Google Navigation works fine for me. Just wish they'd add how fast you are currently going.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:54 PM   #4
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Google Navigation > *
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:51 PM   #5
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

i don't know why none of the top ones are out for android

i use these on a ipad i don't want any that don't have onboard maps or need data on to work
Garmin StreetPilot Onboard, Magellan RoadMate and TomTom

i gave my sister my asus transformer because i found no good gps apps for it
but i drive to peoples houses all day
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Google nav obviously
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
Google Navigation works fine for me. Just wish they'd add how fast you are currently going.
Call me old fashioned but I usually use my speedometer for that
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Now which hold their map data? Because that is kinda important imho if you travelling outside your normal cellular area.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:48 PM   #9
taz291819
Radeon Northern Islands

taz291819 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Call me old fashioned but I usually use my speedometer for that
Two reasons. Most speedometers aren't accurate, they normally show a faster speed than you're actually going (normally by 2mph, not a huge difference).

Also, I like it when a GPS tells you the speed limit, and if you are going over it. Sometimes, I'll drive on a road a not see a speed limit sign for miles, so I have no idea what the limit is.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:03 PM   #10
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Now which hold their map data? Because that is kinda important imho if you travelling outside your normal cellular area.
If you lose signal, Google Maps zooms out and shows the place it last saw you and lets you see all the street names and move around the map. Happened to me once and I was able to scroll around to see what street I needed to get to and where it was based on where the satellite last saw me.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:07 PM   #11
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
you can try nav free it has downloadable maps and works ok
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...QuT1NNLkFMTCJd
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
If you lose signal, Google Maps zooms out and shows the place it last saw you and lets you see all the street names and move around the map. Happened to me once and I was able to scroll around to see what street I needed to get to and where it was based on where the satellite last saw me.
you can also set it to pre load the whole trip.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:29 PM   #13
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Is it possible to map out a route on Google Maps and send that specific route to your phone for GPS? ****ing thing never takes me the way I want to go so that would be a nice option.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
Is it possible to map out a route on Google Maps and send that specific route to your phone for GPS? ****ing thing never takes me the way I want to go so that would be a nice option.
yes.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Yceman
Radeon R600

Yceman is still being judged by the masses

Google Navigator, but I wish I could just preload the whole map of the city (or country) and forget about it
Yceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:47 PM   #16
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
yes.
And how do you go about it? Based on my quick searching before, people had issues with it giving the custom route directions.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:34 PM   #17
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Not exactly a replacement gps app, but Beat the Traffic is frigin awesome. It's saved me headache a bunch of times.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:18 PM   #18
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
Two reasons. Most speedometers aren't accurate, they normally show a faster speed than you're actually going (normally by 2mph, not a huge difference).

Also, I like it when a GPS tells you the speed limit, and if you are going over it. Sometimes, I'll drive on a road a not see a speed limit sign for miles, so I have no idea what the limit is.
The GPS speed isn't any more or less accurate than what the car is doing. My GPS and my car are always the same or +/- 1 Mph of each other.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:26 PM   #19
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
The GPS speed isn't any more or less accurate than what the car is doing. My GPS and my car are always the same or +/- 1 Mph of each other.
Yes it is. There are a bunch of factors that affect what the speedometer shows, my RX-7 is 3MPH off and the Rabbit is 3-4MPH off. Maybe your car is some freak exception, but GPS is more accurate.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:28 PM   #20
Douglaster
X360 - PC

Douglaster is still being judged by the masses

Anyone knows a gps app that can be placed as a gadget in the mainscreen ?
Douglaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:42 PM   #21
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
The satelites for GPS should always see you (unless you are tunneled, etc). It simply cannot update the map in realtime.

Also, in the options I've found that if you map your trip when you are in cell coverage area, it will pre-download all relevant data for the trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:07 AM   #22
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Yes it is. There are a bunch of factors that affect what the speedometer shows, my RX-7 is 3MPH off and the Rabbit is 3-4MPH off. Maybe your car is some freak exception, but GPS is more accurate.
I know over the years my old impala speedo got a little off over the 8 years i had it but was only 3 to 4 miles at the end when i traded it. I know my neighbors speedo was all out of wack when he went larger on the tires.

1 to 2 Mph is not a big variation heck even 3 or 4 and is not that big a deal where there is any benefit even though the difference is negligable.

If our consumer GPS was military accurate I would agree with the GPS but they are not so both are prone to not 100% accurate readings.

Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:05 AM   #23
necropimp
WRAAAA!!!!!

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
What are your favourites? Any a good replacement for a dedicated automotive GPS?
there are some decent apps that are as good as a dedicated gps unit... but it all depends on the gps in your phone...

my optimus v was excellent... gps never failed to quickly get a location fix and rarely ever lost it... even inside buildings

my captivate was AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL... the one huge issue i had with the phone was how awful the gps was... took forever to get a fix while outside almost never while inside and using it for navigation is a joke... would constantly lose my position even when i was stopped

my inspire is meh... sometimes it gets a quick accurate fix, sometimes not so much, horrible inside buildings
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:46 AM   #24
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Well I decided to see how off acording to what you are saying and I spent the weekend trying 3 different GPS units and 3 smartphones and here are my results with my 2012 Cruze

-Galaxy S2 and old Droid with Sygis app was = to 1 mph off
-Garmin Nuvi was +/- 1 mph
-Mio Moov m300 +/-1 mph
-Windows phone 7 with Garmin App was = to 1 mph off same as my Android phones
- Old Tom Tom was +/- 1 to 2 mph.

open highway 80% of the time and rest was local around town.

Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:10 PM   #25
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
Well I decided to see how off acording to what you are saying and I spent the weekend trying 3 different GPS units and 3 smartphones and here are my results with my 2012 Cruze

-Galaxy S2 and old Droid with Sygis app was = to 1 mph off
-Garmin Nuvi was +/- 1 mph
-Mio Moov m300 +/-1 mph
-Windows phone 7 with Garmin App was = to 1 mph off same as my Android phones
- Old Tom Tom was +/- 1 to 2 mph.

open highway 80% of the time and rest was local around town.
It's illegal for a speedometer to read slower than you are actually going. They will always read above your actual speed.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:45 PM   #26
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
It's illegal for a speedometer to read slower than you are actually going. They will always read above your actual speed.
Just posting the numbers I have in front of me and the differential was on the GPS while the speedo showed the same speed. +/- 1 mph is well within a margin of error as no device is perfect. The analog speedo is hard to get a direct reading but the digital speedo was the same number throughout. I was also driving flat surfaces and no hills to keep as close to same speed as possible.

Last edited by mabran : Aug 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:51 AM   #27
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:54 PM   #28
Thr0tt
Radeon Arctic Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Vvveeerrrryyyyy interesting.... google navigator is one thing but tomtom we coild rule the world! Well at least drive round it safely.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:40 PM   #29
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Google navigator for when I need GPS guidance inside the borders of my own country, otherwise the data connection while roaming would bankrupt my Vodafone bill. It's too bad the new offline maps feature doesn't work for navigation yet, otherwise all other GPS software manufacturers would go out of business, in my region at least.

Copilot 9 for when I'm abroad, it takes advantage of the resolution of my phone, and has been very accurate so far. A bit pricey though: 25 pounds for full Europe maps and (obviously) the navigation feature.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:21 PM   #30
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Since my phone updated to ICS, and I think Google Navigation updated as well, it's been really kind of crappy. It use to work flawlessly and really fast. Now, it takes 5 minutes or so to find my GPS location. Then, once it has it, it can sometimes lose it. I use it for delivery driving and it's ****ed me a few times. Fortunately I can zoom out and see where the actual location is, but still... you have to pull over or pray for a stop light to do that.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote