Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 2, 2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default The only blackberry concept phone I'd consider buying

This thing is pure sex. If RIM knows what's good for them, they'll be trying to emulate this concept for consumers later this year.

The company showcased their blackberry 10 OS yesterday, which was lackluster. I really couldn't care less as I use almost no android apps on my current phone, just use it for Internet browsing, email and text. The pictured design would be a huge success for the company.
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 03:00 PM   #2
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Totally should of taken the Curve name over, or Curve 2.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Neat concept, but the OS/ecosystem is still going to be its weak point. That and I can't stand those dinky keyboards.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 2, 2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Very nice phone but most phones are the same nowadays, it boils down to the apps(and cost) for me. So as much as I like my current Blackberry, my next phone will most certainly be something else.
Old May 2, 2012, 05:11 PM   #5
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Hmm, this phone is impossible to make. There was a similar concept, but once made was about 5x thicker.

Well, that's obviously just became the Torch. You can't have a really thin phone if you're doing slide the mechanical parts inside are physically impossible to get smaller / tougher unless you use some kind of ridiculous material.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

what if the keypad itself was a touchscreen?

And isnt the Xperia arc somewhat curved like that? But i dont think it has a slideout keypad.....
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 01:28 AM   #7
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

IMHO Backberry is doomed. What little corperate techie fan-base they HAD is being soaked up by Android and now in a bigger way with Windows Phone. I would be SHOCKED if they still make their OS for phones in 5 years.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 03:25 AM   #8
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
what if the keypad itself was a touchscreen?

And isnt the Xperia arc somewhat curved like that? But i dont think it has a slideout keypad.....
If the keypad was a touch screen, why not just make a touch screen phone?

You have to think about costs, engineering and product marketing.

The amount of money it'll cost to engineer this "slide touchscreen" would cost a lot more than just a single touchscreen since you now have to worry about 2 touch screens. Furthermore, the only benefits of a keypad is tactile typing, nothing more, so a touch screen keypad is just as good as a on screen keypad, therefore no manager is gonna buy your idea.

Anyhoo, honestly, Apple lead the way, and everyone else copied them. BlackBerry had an ego and a reputation of keypad devices and didn't realize that Apple was right (nearly all the time)

If it wasn't for Apple coming in with iphone, android and the whole touch based smartphone market probably wouldnt have been even created, since Android would've just competed with BlackBerry's keypad style devices (as it was original designed for)
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 06:11 AM   #9
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
If it wasn't for Apple coming in with iphone, android and the whole touch based smartphone market probably wouldnt have been even created, since Android would've just competed with BlackBerry's keypad style devices (as it was original designed for)

bull. there were touch screen phones before apple came on to the scene.

Last edited by nrs421 : May 3, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 06:20 AM   #10
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Although the 9900/9930 still has a small screen, I have to say we got one of these phones at work and it is REALLY nice. The build quality and materials actually feels on-par with iPhone4:
http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones...old-9900-9930/

Now we see the Blade, and it's clear to me RIM is finally getting the message that they need to adapt to survive. I like the look of this phone you posted, it's impressive looking, but I gotta say that keyboard looks awful cramp when compared to a landscape slider.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 07:18 AM   #11
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
bull. there were touch screen phones before apple came on to the scene.
They were resistive, not capacitive meaning most had the use of stylus to work.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:52 AM   #12
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
They were resistive, not capacitive meaning most had the use of stylus to work.
not all of them. e.g. the prada phone by lg. there was even a linux based phone that used the gestures apple uses for the iphone like pinching to zoom out at least a year before apple.

Last edited by nrs421 : May 3, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:20 AM   #13
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I think you're still missing the point that before the iphone, touch-based smartphones were gimmicky and a tiny niche market.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 3, 2012, 11:55 AM   #14
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Apple didn't invent penicilin, nuclear fision or the toaster. They took existing tech and put it together in a better way. There is nothing unique, magical or revolutionary in that, no matter how hard they try to convince us.
If Apple didn't exist, another company would have done it. If Google weren't here, other people would have done what they done, with another company.
This is technology and marketing, not Mozart, Michael Jordan or Shakespeare. It's something which evolves in a natural and logical manner, not one time "the planets have aligned" genius.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 12:23 PM   #15
Zero
Sass hole

I don't think Wanks mentioned any of that. It's also kind of silly to suggest that the confluence of talents, development, ideas, etc that lead to one product could have been duplicated exactly by a completely different pool.

The fact is, similar devices were around before the iPhone but none of them gained critical mass. Apple leveraged their iPod and iTunes success, which no one else developed through "natural and logical manner".

I'm not saying they're the sole innovators in the smartphone industry but they've clearly defined some significant milestones. To say that anyone else could have done it is to ignore the chain of choices, business development, successes and failures, that make up the industry's reality as it is today.

To bring it back to the original topic, RIM's position as innovator has fallen BECAUSE they've ignored or misunderstood their position in that continuum. They're still trying to chase after Apple/Android's lifestyle market without distinguishing themselves from the pack (outside of negative ways, like inferior hardware, performance/security issues, poor PR, etc). Even the hardware keypad, which has always been a BB strength, is now becoming a liability to the next generation of smartphones. Maybe if they could somehow innovate the ergonomics of human interface on the new BBs, they'd have a chance at staying relevant...

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 3, 2012, 12:41 PM   #16
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I dunno but from what ive seen with BBOS10 it seems pretty damn good and very promising. It looks like they may have found a good touchscreen answer for people loving the physical keyboard. The way new word gesturing works and being able to type and control the phone with one hand seems really ideal and promising. I really liked what i saw in the keynote presentation, they may have a strong push back. Lets just hope they can get everything sorted out and delivered ON TIME.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 02:21 PM   #17
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
I dunno but from what ive seen with BBOS10 it seems pretty damn good and very promising. It looks like they may have found a good touchscreen answer for people loving the physical keyboard. The way new word gesturing works and being able to type and control the phone with one hand seems really ideal and promising. I really liked what i saw in the keynote presentation, they may have a strong push back. Lets just hope they can get everything sorted out and delivered ON TIME.
I saw nothing to get excited about in the keynote. The OS looks like the one used on Playbooks, which is efficient and easy to use but not revolutionary. Predictive text with a swipe isn't going to be enough to regain market share and people have no reason to switch back with their lack of apps. iOS and android already do everything.

Bottom line: They need to pull off a physical design winner with their next phone to get people to buy.
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 07:30 AM   #18
Hardwood
Radeon Evergreen

Hardwood is still being judged by the masses

Look for some of the CASCADES demos for BB's OS10. Some neato stuff coming.

Lack of apps? Don't need a zillion apps when you can surf the net with full HTML5 compat'.

Someone mentioned Inferior hardware? Inferior OS? You don't have a playbook do you?

Lately appworld has been flooded with android apps. Compared to native playbook apps they're less than ideal and not a deal breaker by any means.
<---Computer #1 in System Specs Button

Computer#2), MSI 970 Gaming, FX 8350, Antec 750w True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB WD Black, Win 10pro x64
Computer #3) MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 Ram (R938G2130U1K),Thermaltake 550w, Win10pro
Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:48 AM   #19
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwood View Post
Lack of apps? Don't need a zillion apps when you can surf the net with full HTML5 compat'.
HTML5 compat is nice but sorry, it doesn't replace apps. I use my phone as a fitness tracker, photo editor, reference encyclopedia, gps navigator, media and gaming device on the go. You can't do some of those via websites alone.

Quote:
Someone mentioned Inferior hardware? Inferior OS? You don't have a playbook do you?
Playbook is not a smartphone. And guess what was one of the reasons it flopped? Apps, or lack thereof.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 5, 2012, 06:31 AM   #20
Hardwood
Radeon Evergreen

Hardwood is still being judged by the masses

Those apps are all on appworld for the playbook.
Times have changed.

It's not a smarthphone yet, but can be tethered for an xtra smart phone.
<---Computer #1 in System Specs Button

Computer#2), MSI 970 Gaming, FX 8350, Antec 750w True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB WD Black, Win 10pro x64
Computer #3) MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 Ram (R938G2130U1K),Thermaltake 550w, Win10pro
Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:02 AM   #21
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwood View Post
Those apps are all on appworld for the playbook.
Times have changed.
Not really, app selection is still poor (AAA apps are still not there, ports seem hit or miss). Check out top paid apps by popularity and rating and compare those to iOS or Android.

Quote:
It's not a smarthphone yet, but can be tethered for an xtra smart phone.
Hold on a sec, let me just strap that playbook to my back before I go for a run.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 5, 2012, 09:05 AM   #22
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

A playbook isn't that big Zero
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:34 PM   #23
Zero
Sass hole

I have a 7" tablet as well, it doesn't fit the same role for portability as a smartphone.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 5, 2012, 11:21 PM   #24
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
Apple didn't invent penicilin, nuclear fision or the toaster. They took existing tech and put it together in a better way. There is nothing unique, magical or revolutionary in that, no matter how hard they try to convince us.
If Apple didn't exist, another company would have done it. If Google weren't here, other people would have done what they done, with another company.
This is technology and marketing, not Mozart, Michael Jordan or Shakespeare. It's something which evolves in a natural and logical manner, not one time "the planets have aligned" genius.
Quoted for ****ing truth.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 11:23 AM   #25
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
Agreed and quite possibly the first and only time I'll see a reference of Mozart, Jordan and Shakespeare in the same sentence and it makes sense.

Echo Chamber - "an environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered."

This is considered trolling and a personal attack according to Curio. FYI in case you decide to step in there. I wonder if the definition of irony is known...
AdelphiaX is offline   Reply With Quote