Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default So I bought a Blackberry 8530 as my first cell phone

I'm not sure its for me.

Everything is tiny.
Keys tiny and hard to press properly, have to use fingernails.
Screen is tiny and everything is so small on it.
Camera has small 16x12 2MP res and is very meh.
Browsing is slow even on WiFi.

Do like the easy Email integration.
Apps seems plentiful, Vlingo is very cool and my fav so far.
$10 month unlimited text, email and data is very nice.

I could live with this phone fine if the screen was 2x the size but near 30 days this thing is going back unless someone convinces me otherwise.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Blackberry, there's your problem. Who is your carrier? That will help.

edit: Oh, Virgin Mobil, I didn't click the link.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Virgin Mobile doesn't have anything worth getting, IMO... Why go with Virgin Mobile? Pre-paid? I believe you can get on T-Mobile without a contract, you just have to pay for your phone up front...
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Guess I wasn't too clear, I already bought and am using this phone. Sort of posting my mini review.

At $35 a month, I found this a deal even if the up front cost of the phone is kinda spendy.

Push email is outstanding, don't think Droid does that except only on Gmail, right? That and Vlingo voice control are my 2 most important features to me so far.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:31 PM   #5
LimeyGeeza
Radeon Volcanic Islands

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

I have to use a Blackberry for work...it's hellspawn on earth. Clunky, slow, small screen POS. There are no apps for it that are worthwhile, you can't even read a spreadsheet, word file or PDF on it, unless you zoom into it, which takes forever, I often sit there watching the hourglass spin endlessly...

Voice commands are crap, but maybe it just can't understand my pseudo Canadian/English accent. And the bluetooth hardly ever syncs first time with my cars GPS/Handsfree device.

If I could use a different phone for work I would, but it's compulsory.

Only good thing about this disgrace of a cell phone is it's just about bulletproof. I must have dropped it a dozen times and it hardly has a scratch.
LimeyGeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

35 a month + cash upfront? Why not get a better smartphone? Here you could easily snag an iPhone 4 for that. And since you're American, I bet you could grab an evo or galaxy just as easily.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
35 a month + cash upfront? Why not get a better smartphone? Here you could easily snag an iPhone 4 for that. And since you're American, I bet you could grab an evo or galaxy just as easily.
Droid phone is ~$150 plus $80 a month for the plan I'd want/need.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Droid phone is ~$150 plus $80 a month for the plan I'd want/need.
Have you looked into whether your work has any carrier discounts?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Have you looked into whether your work has any carrier discounts?
Hahahahahahahaha, that's damn funny. Couple years ago they finally got rid of the ban on using cell phones while clocked in at work.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyGeeza View Post
I have to use a Blackberry for work...it's hellspawn on earth. Clunky, slow, small screen POS. There are no apps for it that are worthwhile, you can't even read a spreadsheet, word file or PDF on it, unless you zoom into it, which takes forever, I often sit there watching the hourglass spin endlessly...

Voice commands are crap, but maybe it just can't understand my pseudo Canadian/English accent. And the bluetooth hardly ever syncs first time with my cars GPS/Handsfree device.

If I could use a different phone for work I would, but it's compulsory.

Only good thing about this disgrace of a cell phone is it's just about bulletproof. I must have dropped it a dozen times and it hardly has a scratch.
I have to use an 8350i for work myself. My experience has been just like yours. The only thing I can add is that if I'm connected to wifi and only go to mobile formatted websites internet browsing isn't too bad. Also plays Youtube vids just fine, that's a plus.

I'm installing the 5.0 update right now, I just found out today that they released it for the 8350i. Surprised the hell out of me to see this phone get the update, even though I know from using my wife's 9700 that it's practically no different than the 4.5 or whatever the hell was on this thing before.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:45 AM   #11
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

How the heck do people get use to this keyboard? There is no way I can press 1 key at a time with my fingers.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 01:10 AM   #12
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
How the heck do people get use to this keyboard? There is no way I can press 1 key at a time with my fingers.
You have to hit the keys dead center.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:03 AM   #13
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

After 12 days of usage, my initial views are changing about this phone.

The tinyness is actually nice cause it easily fit into any of my clothes pockets, even tight jeans, and phone use with one hand is excellent. After getting a much more useful theme with 12 home screen icon, immediate navigation is now excellent. Keyboard and screen I'm getting use to and much better at. Bolt or Mini Opera browsers are much faster and better (only wish could somehow make the default browser).

All that said, I still haven't tried a nominal droid phone.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Note, only been a 8530 owner for 2 weeks.
Anyway....

Just got back from the AT&T store where the guy let me play around with a Samsung Captivate for a good chunk of time.

Having never used a touch screen before I found the Sammy very overly sensitive. Barely have to get near the screen surface before it registers a tap input. Sales guy claims its all adjustable but when I asked him to show me how he was unable to find and prove to me the touch(not slide) mechanics could be altered.

Sammy was fast for all the stock apps but so is my BB. It took time to load 3rd party games/apps but so does my BB. Data transfer for Google searches and GPS took about the same time as my BB. CPU power is definitely present in the Sammy, no slow downs navigating the apps, whereas my BB will often chug or bring up the hour glass symbol.

Droids large screen was very nice giving more area views on maps and lists but didn't look crisp nor easily readable as my BB. Might of been a contrast/brightness setting thing or something. <shrug>

I found screen hunt and pecking around on the touch screen with my finger a bit tiresome after a little while. Much more movement and energy was needed than I'm use to. The quick, small thumb movement the BB touch pad requires requires much less precision and thought. I felt almost overly animated navigating and using the Sammy. Suppose this takes getting adjusting to.

The droid gave me same feeling as new Windows OS's do - bloated and needs extra horsepower to force through it all but works very slick when the heavy requirements are met.

Though less featured and more simplistic, my BB is highly efficient, doing things well most of the time. I certainly see the great appeal for the droids but there is also something to be said about how non-dumbed down the BB feels and works.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:49 PM   #15
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerzwild View Post
I have to use an 8350i for work myself. My experience has been just like yours. The only thing I can add is that if I'm connected to wifi and only go to mobile formatted websites internet browsing isn't too bad. Also plays Youtube vids just fine, that's a plus.

I'm installing the 5.0 update right now, I just found out today that they released it for the 8350i. Surprised the hell out of me to see this phone get the update, even though I know from using my wife's 9700 that it's practically no different than the 4.5 or whatever the hell was on this thing before.
I got the 8350i for work after it just came out last year. It was depressing, especially since I was coming from an iPhone 3G.

I found the BB to be nice initially, but after a few weeks I missed my iphone terrible.

I've now moved on to the Motorola i1 for work, which is a HUGE step up from the 8350i.
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:02 PM   #16
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Having never used a touch screen before I found the Sammy very overly sensitive. Barely have to get near the screen surface before it registers a tap input. Sales guy claims its all adjustable but when I asked him to show me how he was unable to find and prove to me the touch(not slide) mechanics could be altered.
I had similar problems when I switched to the EVO. I had a touch screen phone prior, but it was a Windows Mobile device with a stylus. Switching over to no stylus and a different OS was a pretty good learning curve for me. I thought I made a huge mistake the first day of owning it as I kept clicking when I wanted to slide, and sliding when I wanted to click. After a few weeks, the navigation is effortless. There are a lot of shortcuts in the Android OS to do things, so once you learn those it makes it much easier to get around.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 06:51 PM   #17
BigDaddyLugNutz
Bolt action rifle

BigDaddyLugNutz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Note, only been a 8530 owner for 2 weeks.
Anyway....

Just got back from the AT&T store where the guy let me play around with a Samsung Captivate for a good chunk of time.

Sammy was fast for all the stock apps but so is my BB. It took time to load 3rd party games/apps but so does my BB. Data transfer for Google searches and GPS took about the same time as my BB. CPU power is definitely present in the Sammy, no slow downs navigating the apps, whereas my BB will often chug or bring up the hour glass symbol.

Droids large screen was very nice giving more area views on maps and lists but didn't look crisp nor easily readable as my BB. Might of been a contrast/brightness setting thing or something. <shrug>

I found screen hunt and pecking around on the touch screen with my finger a bit tiresome after a little while. Much more movement and energy was needed than I'm use to. The quick, small thumb movement the BB touch pad requires requires much less precision and thought. I felt almost overly animated navigating and using the Sammy. Suppose this takes getting adjusting to.

The droid gave me same feeling as new Windows OS's do - bloated and needs extra horsepower to force through it all but works very slick when the heavy requirements are met.

Though less featured and more simplistic, my BB is highly efficient, doing things well most of the time. I certainly see the great appeal for the droids but there is also something to be said about how non-dumbed down the BB feels and works.
I just got the 8530 less than a week ago. Not the 8530i, what does the "i" mean? Anyways, my old cell gave up the ghost and I needed something right away. Since I am an old(er) geezer, I was thinking that I would get the grooviest looking cell phone which is what I have always done in the past. The wife insisted I get a smart phone and get with it. The guy at Rodeo Shack recommended the BB because I am a builder and needed something that can stand a little and sometimes a lot of abuse.

I have to admit that I was really lusting after the android phones but the sales guy said I would be much better off with the dorky looking BB since they are hard to break.

I was feeling like I got pressured for the wrong reasons into making a choice I wasn't all the crazy about. Long story short; I'm starting to get the hang and I think I like it more than I thought I would. I have big fat hands and thought the tiny key layout would be impossible but it's not. I can now do just fine when typing with fingertips. Navigating is a no brainer. The touch pad for thumb is excellent.

Destroy- a couple questions from a BB noob;

How do I get Opera Mini?
Can I import my Opera bookmarks?
How the hell do you browse the web on that little screen?
What theme are you using that you like so much?
Was it free?

Oh, and re your sig; Wolfenstein was the last game I played that gave me that warm, fuzzy PC gaming feeling
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:46 PM   #18
Mystik
Radeon Arctic Islands

Mystik is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLugNutz View Post
How do I get Opera Mini?
navigate to m.opera.com and you should be able to download opera mini.

browsing can be a little hassle on it, but i find that the screens are sharp
so the text is clear. many pages, though, don't have "mobile" versions or
aren't mobile friendly, though, so i don't browse on it very much.

i don't have a curve, but the pearl 9100.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:40 PM   #19
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

How do I get Opera Mini?
Was it free?

See Mystiks reply for Opera. I prefer Bolt but variety is bliss, download them all and see which you prefer.
http://boltbrowser.com/boltbb.jad

Unsure, send bookmark file in an email to your BB?
Edit: Apparently Opera has a Link program to import between Opera devices

Screen is small but just learn to zoom and scroll, it works fine but not optimal like a larger screen.

Bought this $2 theme...
http://software.crackberry.com/product.asp?id=46749
Can just roll around the screen which makes it very navigate friendly vs a square grid.

Last edited by Destroy : Sep 14, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:13 PM   #20
BigDaddyLugNutz
Bolt action rifle

BigDaddyLugNutz is still being judged by the masses

Thanks and double thanks. Will take a good look at the Crackberry theme.Been getting medical maryjane called "crackberry", heheh ANYWAYS, will give these excellent suggestions a go. Bolt sounds intriguing.

Wish I had more time to select my new "smart" phone. Maybe it's not too late. What's up with the BB Pearl edition. I like the sound of it..

Like I mentioned, I'm still in smart phone noob phase. Good info, thanks fellas!
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:03 PM   #21
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I just got the 8530 less than a week ago. Not the 8530i, what does the "i" mean? Anyways, my old cell gave up the ghost and I needed something right away. Since I am an old(er) geezer, I was thinking that I would get the grooviest looking cell phone which is what I have always done in the past. The wife insisted I get a smart phone and get with it. The guy at Rodeo Shack recommended the BB because I am a builder and needed something that can stand a little and sometimes a lot of abuse.

I have to admit that I was really lusting after the android phones but the sales guy said I would be much better off with the dorky looking BB since they are hard to break.

I was feeling like I got pressured for the wrong reasons into making a choice I wasn't all the crazy about. Long story short; I'm starting to get the hang and I think I like it more than I thought I would. I have big fat hands and thought the tiny key layout would be impossible but it's not. I can now do just fine when typing with fingertips. Navigating is a no brainer. The touch pad for thumb is excellent.

How do I get Opera Mini?
Was it free?

Oh, and re your sig; Wolfenstein was the last game I played that gave me that warm, fuzzy PC gaming feeling
Who is your provider? The Moto Droid 2 is one helluva tough phone if you're on Verizon, otherwise, yeah, go BB, most Android phones aren't as tough as the Moto Droid 2...
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:48 AM   #22
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Besides, Blackberries are hot!

Last edited by Destroy : Sep 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:51 AM   #23
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Besides, Blackberries are hot!
Never understood why people find sexy/attractive/hot about her. It's a corney picture to book. Why is it necessary to carry all that stuff. She's gonna drop that phone. She's a walking "look at me, I'm a status" symbol.

Last edited by Razeus : Sep 15, 2010 at 01:03 PM.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:45 PM   #24
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

One more plus I'm seeing on this BB are shortcut keys.

Example, on my friends Evo 4G in Google Maps, he has to first touch the screen to get a drop down menu then switch traffic view on/off.

On my BB, all I have to do is press d on the keyboard to toggle it on/off.

Same goes for other smarter apps too, can do things more efficiently on my BB with one press key shortcuts.