Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

Old Oct 8, 2021, 07:32 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
It said I didn't meet requirements either, and to download PC Health Check. Enabled TPM, ran it, still said I wasn't eligible. I forgot what I did but then it appeared, might have rebooted or something.

After upgrading my Win10, I decided to just fully wipe the drive clean and reformat to a clean install. If you did the Win11 install through the Media Creation Tool (ISO to a flash drive) it'll work fine.
Thanks for the reassurance. Figured that was the case.

Still, I'm happy with Windows 10 for now. I don't feel a need to go to 11. I'll wait a year or so for it to mature a bit, then make the switch.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:07 PM   #152
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm in the process of installing Windows 11 on my Surface Pro 3 (2014), since it's "supported" by Microsoft no additional regedits were needed, the necessary key was already there (probably a Win10 patch added it). It's taking a bit more time than my Core i9 desktop PC

Yesterday I also updated my son's 2019 Dell G5 (straight forward process). Will try with my Surface Pro 6 (2019 as well) later.

After these, I have 2 other computers to upgrade, a 2016 Dell Inspiron 5675 (daughter's) and my good old 2015 X99 setup (currently being used by my wife). These does not comply with the "hardware requirements" however I'm pretty sure are more than capable of running Windows 11 (minus the TPM).
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster X AE-5 + Edifier R1280DBs + Edifier T5 + Logitech G935 | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G502 Lightspeed + Logitech Powerplay | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD 2TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe 2TB | LG BD-RE | Windows 11 Pro

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Logitech MK850 Performance | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 11 Pro

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2021, 07:46 AM   #153
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Don’t notice a problem running it on my ryzen 5900x, it will just be a speed boost when they release the patch, and I’m sure I won’t notice it again.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 9, 2021, 01:30 PM   #154
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Are you all on Windows 11. Was it worth the upgrade? First time seeing this thread.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2021, 01:52 PM   #155
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Are you all on Windows 11. Was it worth the upgrade? First time seeing this thread.
Some of the UI changes might take some getting used to, but you can always tweak things to bring some of the old menus back. So far I've seen no issues at all. Everything runs at least as well as Win10 did, because it basically *IS* Win 10 with a new theme. It's free, so no reason not to do it if you've got relatively new hardware.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2021, 02:20 PM   #156
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

OK. Just updated my son's computer. There is no real difference. I heard that games run faster. Anything I need to do to get that going?
Old Oct 9, 2021, 02:39 PM   #157
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
OK. Just updated my son's computer. There is no real difference. I heard that games run faster. Anything I need to do to get that going?
Not yet. DirectStorage is what you're thinking of, and developers have to use it when they code games. It doesn't come for free, as far as I understand it.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 04:18 PM   #158
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Not yet. DirectStorage is what you're thinking of, and developers have to use it when they code games. It doesn't come for free, as far as I understand it.
game prices up to 169.99 ea

……

got it on my surface pro 4 had to regedit to get it
seem to work fine and I like it on the touch screen

but if I don't get updates I will have to roll it back
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2021, 05:27 PM   #159
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

"Doesn't come free" meaning it doesn't make games faster unless the developers code for it.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 09:55 PM   #160
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
"Doesn't come free" meaning it doesn't make games faster unless the developers code for it.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2021, 02:02 AM   #161
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Ok thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 06:58 PM   #162
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My 3DMark scores didn't increase

My wife doesn't want the upgrade on her main desktop. I just updated her Surface Pro 6 and everything went smooth. Will let her use the tablet first before updating her desktop.
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster X AE-5 + Edifier R1280DBs + Edifier T5 + Logitech G935 | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G502 Lightspeed + Logitech Powerplay | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD 2TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe 2TB | LG BD-RE | Windows 11 Pro

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Logitech MK850 Performance | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 11 Pro

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2021, 09:27 AM   #163
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I am consistently scoring higher in benchmarks with Win11 than Win10. I love this so far .. everything has been running SO smooth.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:40 PM   #164
KAC
It might be gays!

Do you have any benchmarks to showcase the improvement? Maybe placebo?
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:43 PM   #165
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Not sure about higher benchmark FPS but win11 UI feels significantly faster than win10. MS say they achieved this 'instantaneous response' from CPU and memory optimisations, and direct storage like function built into windows itself.

Looking forward to titles with DS functionality and quick resume. DS is also meant to help with CPU bound game performance as it removes software bottleneck. NV's version, RTX-IO, should be sweet as well. The experience should be 'closer to the metal' like consoles.

Aside from that Auto-HDR seems to work pretty well in the games I've tried. Pretty happy with it overall.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:53 AM   #166
KAC
It might be gays!

Ok will try auto HDR. That one seems like a dope option given I have a HDR 600 monitor .
Old Oct 12, 2021, 06:56 AM   #167
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Do you have any benchmarks to showcase the improvement? Maybe placebo?
Not placebo. Timespy graphics score went up ~700pts and CPU score went up about 200-300. That's against a tweaked Win10 with InSpectre enabled to turn off software mitigations.

It's the real deal.

I also use Auto-HDR even though the HDR on my monitor is garbage. It works far better than Win10, where I had it disabled 24/7.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:39 AM   #168
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Auto-HDR seems to crash my crap Sony X900H TV when it feels like it(TV firmware issue not Windows 11) I am still using as my main monitor but it does look good in game since I never used it in Windows 10.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:21 PM   #169
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Does anyone else have this bug?
1. Open Settings
2. Click Windows Update
3. Click Advanced Options
4. Click Optional Updates.
5. Settings window crashes and disappears.

Repeat steps 1-3, then click Configured Update Policies.
Settings window crashes

The workaround for this is to search specifically for Optional Updates or Configured Update Policies in the Settings search box. Those items open then. It's only when you select them from the Settings>Update>Advanced Options window.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 04:42 PM   #170
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Doesn't crash for me in either scenario, Munkus.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 04:59 PM   #171
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Huh. Weird.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 06:21 PM   #172
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

How do you move all the crap from the center over to the far right?

NM... Found it.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2021, 06:44 PM   #173
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

So here is something strange and new. I installed Windows 11 and restarted. It's been 20 minutes and my water pump is going up and down at idle. Do the ol CTRL-SHIFT-ESC and look at the CPU and it's up and down a bit. Go over to the ethernet and it's downloading like crazy! 100MB/s downloads and then spikes to the SSD and CPU 20 minutes after install.

Strange.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 06:54 PM   #174
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Wish there was some way to add another sports widget to the widget thingy. I can like Hockey and NCAA Football. I'd really like to see the scores for both without having to customize the widget to see it.... FFS....
Old Oct 12, 2021, 07:32 PM   #175
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Seconded.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2021, 08:28 PM   #176
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Does anyone else have this bug?
1. Open Settings
2. Click Windows Update
3. Click Advanced Options
4. Click Optional Updates.
5. Settings window crashes and disappears.
Can't repeat.

Might want to run a chkdsk and a sfc /scannow.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 08:29 PM   #177
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Well, did a few updates from windows update and updated to the latest Nvidia driver and sure as chit Windows 11 didn't like something that was going on. It might have been some update in the tray trying to run after going into event viewer. Screen was crashing, Windows Explorer was not loading so I had to do some restarts of it, I think things are back to normal after several restarts and screen crashes. I definitely think my piece of chit X900H does not like the HDR implementation. I would change over to my LG C9 but don't like the idea of going from 65" to 55".
Old Oct 12, 2021, 08:34 PM   #178
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I haven't had any issues at all. Strange!

Only thing I don't like, but is understandable, is when changing GPU drivers I have to re-enable HDR
Old Oct 13, 2021, 02:26 AM   #179
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

You Aren’t Alone – Over 50% of Enterprise Machines Unable to Upgrade to Windows 11

https://wccftech.com/over-50-of-ente...to-windows-11/
Old Oct 13, 2021, 01:56 PM   #180
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Default No love for AMD

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote