Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

Old Jul 3, 2021, 01:52 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-voodoo View Post
That would be really cool if that's true. Other than it being older than the 8th gen CPU it literally meets ALL other requirements on their list!

Please note - I did not add any TPM module to my MSI motherboard...
*shrug* no idea. Could have just worked in error. Software is still in testing after all.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2021, 08:46 AM   #32
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

i wonder why Win11 installed on my VM (Parallels on a Macbook Pro M1) when the VM doesn't have TPM and the processor isn't identified as being Intel.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2021, 08:50 AM   #33
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I've been having annoying issues on my notebook as of late with Windows 11 after using for the last week.

Nothing serious though, just annoying.

1.) Windows Security Center has to be manually started on startup. Pisses me off, everytime I restart or turn my notebook on I get a notification that the protection is disbaled. And I have to manually enable it.

2.) Entering safemode if a chore. On Windows 10 you just shift click + restart and you are presented with an options screen. Windows 11 you shift click + restart, the PC resets and then goes to an option screen. Then it resests again once you choose your option.

3.) Entering safemode causes Explorer.EXE to crash. Was updating my GPU driver to the 471.22 Hotfix. Got in to safemode only to constantly get an Explorer.exe has crashed errors constantly over and over and over again. Took me a bit to get beyond that point but just left the erorr window open while I ran DDU.

4.) Right clicking to use Nvidia Control Panel or 7Zip does not appear in the tab window. Instead you need to go to MORE OPTIONS to get those options.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 12, 2021, 06:12 PM   #34
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NivpAiuh-s0

Probably more than you ever want to know about installing Win11 on old machines, all the way back to Core2Duo machines.

Lots of reg edits

Edit: Linus implies that AMD/Intel has their part in the official requirements, something to do with driver supports.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2021, 09:18 PM   #35
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/di...ign=socialflow

Quote:
A recent Microsoft blog post has corrected the company's earlier statement that DirectStorage, a tech that boosts storage performance to improve gaming, would only be available in Windows 11. Now Microsoft has clarified that DirectStorage will indeed support both Windows 10 and Windows 11.

DirectStorage is a new storage acceleration API, currently used in Xbox Series consoles, that improves game loading times by allowing game data to be transferred directly from an NVMe SSD to the GPU, thus bypassing the CPU.

To further speed up performance, DirectStorage also includes a new GPU decompression technology that supports higher decompression I/O rates and bandwidth than CPUs. That also makes the GPU a better option to decompress game assets.

The only caveat with Windows 10's implementation of DirectStorage will be its older storage stacks -- a set of drivers that allows applications and Windows to communicate with storage devices. This will lead to reduced system performance, compared to Windows 11, but is still better than having no DirectStorage technology at all.
Really thought they would force us into win11 for this.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:17 PM   #36
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Anyone using this as a daily runner yet?
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2021, 08:29 AM   #37
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Anyone using this as a daily runner yet?
I have been using it as my main PC since post #1 of this thread. No Ragerts.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 09:35 AM   #38
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
I have been using it as my main PC since post #1 of this thread. No Ragerts.
I think she was going for No Rugrats.

I use Win 11 Arm64 in Parellels on my MBP M1 for work. There are several programs required for work that don't have a MacOS version, so I use a VM. Namely Visio and MS Project. Absolutely no problems so far.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:01 AM   #39
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I would probably have Ragerts about posting a pic of Caitlin Jenner (there’s stubble on the neck ) but…..

I might try this on my ancient gaming pc for a daily driver. You guys think there would be any security concerns? All things being equal (vpn, anti-virus and all) or should I wait? Any compelling reason to upgrade?
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:30 AM   #40
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
I would probably have Ragerts about posting a pic of Caitlin Jenner (there’s stubble on the neck ) but…..

I might try this on my ancient gaming pc for a daily driver. You guys think there would be any security concerns? All things being equal (vpn, anti-virus and all) or should I wait? Any compelling reason to upgrade?
Does your ancient gaming pc meet the requirements, such as TPM and secure boot? If so, go for it. The latest build is beta now, so it's probably stable enough for basic use.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 02:04 PM   #41
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Does your ancient gaming pc meet the requirements, such as TPM and secure boot? If so, go for it. The latest build is beta now, so it's probably stable enough for basic use.
I doubt it's even worth the trouble at this point. Don't mind me, just brain farting.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2021, 03:27 AM   #42
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

is it worth it? No, not at this point. Could you do it? Of course, but why would you want it?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2021, 09:20 AM   #43
Falck
Radeon R520

Falck is still being judged by the masses

It's definately worth it. Been running it since it got available through dev channel and haven't regretted making the transition.

Especially since the UI have gotten a good overhaul. Sitting with an UW monitor I enjoy the tweaking of the UI!

And haven't run into any system breaking issues for me, other than desktop manager suddenly get sluggish, but a reboot fixes that. Happens every other day (my system runs 24/7), so not a big problem.
Falck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2021, 12:20 PM   #44
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

When officially released I will load it up, Looks like that day is Oct 5th, I am always looking for punishment.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2021, 04:34 AM   #45
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I'm waiting for official release. Happy to wait.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2021, 04:45 PM   #46
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Did you have to do a clean install? I'm actually curious to try it out on my rig.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2021, 09:31 PM   #47
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
Did you have to do a clean install? I'm actually curious to try it out on my rig.
On my work VM, it installed via Windows Update and went seamlessly.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 09:45 PM   #48
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
I am always looking for punishment.
Get married then.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2021, 07:01 AM   #49
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
On my work VM, it installed via Windows Update and went seamlessly.
I ran the beta channel update last night on my rig. Went well, and I haven't had any issues. Basically win 10 with rounded edges, and a new start menu.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2021, 08:22 PM   #50
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Had my first real issue today. Task bar crashed and would not display. Reboots didn't help.

Had to do a system restore back to a few days ago.

[edit] I'm in the beta channel now. Switching from dev channel may have triggered the issue.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 07:13 AM   #51
azalea
Radeon R420

azalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
I'm dual booting. Not difficult, especially now there's a full install official iso out.

I am perfectly happy though using win11 as my main OS, despite some taskbar missing feature annoyance, until last night happened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
Had my first real issue today. Task bar crashed and would not display. Reboots didn't help.

Had to do a system restore back to a few days ago.

[edit] I'm in the beta channel now. Switching from dev channel may have triggered the issue.
Nah, this was affecting a huge number of people, myself included. Apparently some service was hanging, that was tied into the system date or time - people were able to get it to work by advancing a few days.

The official fix was to run an elevated command to remove a certain registry entry.

Everyone on beta and dev could have got the update yesterday, but some time zones weren't affected It wasn't using time.windows.com though as some people posited, cus I run NTP on my firewall so don't use Windows to sync time, myself.

Check the windows11 subreddit for a lot of happy posts. Windows 11 is definitely ready to go live a month from now.

Old Sep 20, 2021, 07:27 PM   #52
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Well I grabbed the preview ISO and installed it over Windows 10 on my main system. The upgrade was smooth, all my apps and settings ported over without a hitch. I take that back, only 1 hitch - it didn't like Start10 (Stardock's Start menu replacement). Honestly I forgot I had that. Don't need it, so I uninstalled it. I actually kinda like the new Start menu.

Nvidia also released a Win11 driver today, so games are running great. I'm not a huge fan of the changes to the Windows 11 Settings menus, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 06:13 PM   #53
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Get married then.
Already did, That was a failure! No more of that nonsense, hookers and blow are cheaper Well I couldn't wait any longer, joined the Dev channel and loaded the bitch up, I guess it is now beyond the Release version that comes out on the 5th. Upgrade went unusually smoothly!
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #54
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Anyone know what happens if you drop out of the preview dev channel before windows 11 is released? Just curious at this point, explorer crashed on boot up this morning and I would drop and go to a normal stable release if that is what would happen, if back to windows 10 though I would avoid it.
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM   #55
Falck
Radeon R520

Quote:
Anyone know what happens if you drop out of the preview dev channel before windows 11 is released? Just curious at this point, explorer crashed on boot up this morning and I would drop and go to a normal stable release if that is what would happen, if back to windows 10 though I would avoid it.
You can try the beta channel.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #56
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

I was wondering more of what would happen if I drop out altogether? Would it try to put windows 10 back on?
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #57
Falck
Radeon R520

Quote:
I was wondering more of what would happen if I drop out altogether? Would it try to put windows 10 back on?
No, you just won't receive any updates.
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM   #58
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falck View Post
No, you just won't receive any updates.
Guess I stay in for now.
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #59
Falck
Radeon R520

Quote:
Guess I stay in for now.
Yeah, good idea. I have had to reinstall W11 two times because of borked installs. Last time i forgot to enroll so i didn't receive any updates for over a week.