Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:22 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Ravens Nest
R380

Ravens Nest once held a door open for a complete strangerRavens Nest once held a door open for a complete strangerRavens Nest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Xbox Series X issues with HDR. (A fix here that might help others))

I Bought a cheap QLED TCL 4K 55" it has Dolby Atmos, Dolby vision, HDR plus it has been an absolute bargain for the money £350 with a 5 year warranty too.

The Series X looks and sounds amazing on it, I used the Calibration tool for it and the separate one after for the HDR really happy with the purchase (except for a few quirks it has its been great)

I did come on to two problems with it, which I had me stumped for ages....

Dolby Vision gaming looks stunning but latency is not good so gave up with that so back to HDR but I kept having a strange problem where sometimes I would boot up the game and it would look stunning then the next time I would boot it up and it looked bad like foggy blurry and too much HDR.

Finally the fix that took ages for me to work out, If I turned off Auto HDR in the settings of the Xbox HDR now looks nearly as good as Dolby Vision and now has very low latency as well via "Auto Low Latency Mode" (ALLM)!

I am well happy!! Just hope this might help anyone who has had the same problem.

Last edited by Ravens Nest : Apr 19, 2022 at 10:42 AM.
Ravens Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2022, 01:52 PM   #2
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I had to fiddle with my tv settings, and I think I also had to bypass my hdmi hub, and use a different hdmi cable. Once I got it all figured out, it did make a big improvement in image quality. But yeah, if you don't have the whole pipeline HDR compliant, it makes the image WAAAY worse. Like colors over-saturated, sky is blown out, etc. When you get the whole pipeline right, you'll know.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt

Last edited by SubCog : Apr 19, 2022 at 02:02 PM.
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2022, 02:32 AM   #3
Ravens Nest
R380

Ravens Nest once held a door open for a complete strangerRavens Nest once held a door open for a complete strangerRavens Nest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
I had to fiddle with my tv settings, and I think I also had to bypass my HDMI hub, and use a different HDMI cable. Once I got it all figured out, it did make a big improvement in image quality. But yeah, if you don't have the whole pipeline HDR compliant, it makes the image WAAAY worse. Like colors over-saturated, sky is blown out, etc. When you get the whole pipeline right, you'll know.
You had to use a new HDMI cable is that with the Series X?

It definitely is worth the effort using the display calibration and getting the brightness, black level and contrast correct.

I found that turning every image enhancement off like filtering, motion, judder, dynamic contrast off first then getting the brightness so the eye is invisible and the contrast so the sun is nearly invisible then doing the HDR after then when I got that as good as I could then I slowly turned the other settings back on was the trick.

Also after calibration of the brightness black level, and contrast then I looked at the black level and contrast again a couple of times to fine tune each as they do effect one another.

Gamma as the final tweak from after doing the brightness (on my TV its black level) and contrast.

Last edited by Ravens Nest : Apr 20, 2022 at 06:15 AM.
Ravens Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 20, 2022, 08:22 AM   #4
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens Nest View Post
You had to use a new HDMI cable is that with the Series X?
You don't necessarily need to use the included cable, but keep in mind that HDMI cables are finicky. You need to get one that can pass an HDMI 2.1 signal. However, there's no difference in the wiring of the cable, only the quality of the materials. Thus an older cable might work fine, if it is well built and not very long.

Like I said, you need to make sure your entire pipeline can support HDMI 2.1.
Any point of failure will make your image look terrible. I had to bypass my HDMI switch, as it didn't support 2.1. And it's possible that your TV only has a single HDMI 2.1 compatible port, so keep that in mind too. And then you have to make sure the proper tv settings are enabled for that port.

I have my xbox series s plugged directly into one HDMI port on my tv, and then I have my Switch and xbox 360 plugged into an old HDMI switch that then feeds into a separate HDMI port on the tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens Nest View Post
It definitely is worth the effort using the display calibration and getting the brightness, black level and contrast correct.
I had been messing with alot of tv settings too, trying to make the picture look right. For me, I found that once I ensured my HDMI 2.0 pipeline was working and HDR enabled, the picture looked great and I didn't mess with calibration further.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600