Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Unicron
Radeon Evergreen

Unicron is still being judged by the masses

Default Vivendi and Activision merge to form Activision Blizzard

So you thought it couldn't get any bigger than EA buying Bioware ??

SANTA MONICA, Calif. & PARIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Activision, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI) and Vivendi (Euronext Paris: VIV) today announced that they have signed a definitive agreement to combine Vivendi Games, Vivendi's interactive entertainment business -- which includes Blizzard Entertainment’s® World of Warcraft®, the world’s #1 multi-player online role-playing game franchise -- with Activision, creating the world’s largest pure-play online and console game publisher. The new company, Activision Blizzard, is expected to have approximately $3.8 billion in pro forma combined calendar 2007 revenues and the highest operating margins of any major third-party video game publisher. On closing of the transaction, Activision will be renamed Activision Blizzard and will continue to operate as a public company traded on NASDAQ under the ticker ATVI.

Activision, one of the world’s leading independent publishers of interactive entertainment, is best known for its top-selling franchises, including Guitar Hero®, Call of Duty® and the Tony Hawk series, as well as Spider-Man™, X-Men™, Shrek®, James Bond™ and TRANSFORMERS™. Blizzard Entertainment, a division of Vivendi Games, has projected calendar 2007 revenues of $1.1 billion, operating margins of over 40% and approximately $520 million of operating profit. Blizzard owns the #1 multi-player online role-playing game franchise, World of Warcraft, which currently has over 9.3 million subscribers worldwide. Blizzard’s World of Warcraft, Warcraft®, StarCraft® and Diablo® games account for four of the top-five best-selling PC game titles of all time. Vivendi Games also owns popular franchises, including Crash Bandicoot™ and Spyro™. Pro forma for calendar 2007, Activision Blizzard expects to generate approximately 70% of its revenues from owned franchises. As a result of the business combination, Activision Blizzard expects to have the most diversified and broadest portfolio of interactive entertainment assets in its industry, positioning the combined company to capitalize on the continued worldwide growth in interactive entertainment.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...54&newsLang=en
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:46 AM   #2
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

This can only be good for us gamers. *cough*
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:49 AM   #3
JonZ
Radeon Arctic Islands

JonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

ouch
JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:59 AM   #4
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Meh. Neither Activision nor Vivendi are "bad" companies. Activision is not known to **** up their games, right?

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:59 AM   #5
Koenig
He wo hitte

Koenig once held a door open for a complete strangerKoenig once held a door open for a complete strangerKoenig once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
This can only be good for us gamers. *cough*

屁をひつて尻窄め "Breaking wind, closing buttocks" - Japanese Proverb

www.angelman.org
www.cureangelman.org
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Ne0Griever
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ne0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete stranger

Jes. us.

Freaking huge companyl. Anything that can compete against EA is good really. I like Activision (CoD, Tony Hawk, franchises are usually better in quality than the EA ones).

Ne0Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:58 AM   #7
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci88 View Post
Activision is not known to **** up their games, right?
vampire bloodlines comes to mind.

somehow, i don't see how this news can be good for gamers...
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:09 PM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

This can be both good and bad... Only time will tell i suppose...

"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 03:31 PM   #9
tjf81
Radeon R520

tjf81 is still being judged by the masses

I just hope they leave blizzard alone and let them do what they do best.
tjf81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 03:53 PM   #10
Darkz0r
Italian Brazilian Rager

Darkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Time to buy stocks! =P
Old Dec 2, 2007, 04:40 PM   #11
TheOwly1
Radeon Sea Islands

TheOwly1 is still being judged by the masses

Anyone that can stop EA warping the market into whatever is shallow enough to get them the most money is good in my books. It'll be nice to have a superpower deciding some of the big choices who make actual games instead of sports rehashes and add ons for the sims.
You see a signature. It is a picture of an astonishing island landscape. A picture of the best cat you have ever seen is in the bottom left corner, as well as a detailed list of system specs. The font is large and bold.
TheOwly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 05:06 PM   #12
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Activision has put out it's fair share of crappy sequels and licensed games too you know.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 05:10 PM   #13
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Activizzard or Blictivison would have been better
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 05:18 PM   #14
TheOwly1
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedroid View Post
Activision has put out it's fair share of crappy sequels and licensed games too you know.

Definatly, but its not even remotly comparable with he huge focus on rehashing and casual gaming EA has. To my knowledge Activision have never made 18 expansion packs for one game...althought they have published some fantastic games like battlezone, doom 3, call of duty, guitar hero, and civilisation. Dont they also own bizzre creations now (creaters of project gotham and various rcade style games).
You see a signature. It is a picture of an astonishing island landscape. A picture of the best cat you have ever seen is in the bottom left corner, as well as a detailed list of system specs. The font is large and bold.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 05:21 PM   #15
Thorney
Radeon R520

Thorney is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf81 View Post
I just hope they leave blizzard alone and let them do what they do best.
The name change speaks volumes and reveals all too familiar signs of top down corporate management mentality. There's a Blizzard "Activision Blizzard FAQ" reassuring everyone they'll be left alone.

But bottom line, Blizzard doesn't need anyone, everyone needs Blizzard.

Forbes: Vivendi To Merge With Activision

"Vivendi's game business, while successful, generated revenues of only 804 million euros of its parent company's $20 billion in 2006. The cash comes almost exclusively from Blizzard's extremely popular online role playing game. Activision meanwhile faced a rough patch in early 2007 but swung from loss to profit during its second quarter and said recently it expects boosted 2008 revenues of $2.3 billion based on sizzling sales of its "Guitar Hero III" game."

No in progress Blizzard game will change. Expect really bright ideas(tm) from Activision Blizzard down the road. Just hope they aren't as disastrous as AOL/Time Warner's really bright ideas. Failure is an all too common outcome of new global brands started from huge mergers.

Last edited by Thorney : Dec 2, 2007 at 05:26 PM.
Thorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 05:24 PM   #16
TheOwly1
Radeon Sea Islands

I'd imagine at this point blizzard could walk out and do whatever they wanted. They are highly respected and very wealthy. The way the name changed suggests that Blizzard actualy owns a concidrable amount of these publishers now aswell.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 05:46 PM   #17
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I think this is bad because it's just going to create a huge bureaucratic company that is less innovative and responsive. Some types of companies benefit from larger scale, and others just get crappier. I can definitely see it being less likely that some smaller, interesting game ideas will be published now than before.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 07:07 PM   #18
Fricfrac
Pain Train Productions

Fricfrac can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFricfrac can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFricfrac can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

FAQ (Blizzard side of things):

Merger FAQ

Q: What are the details of the deal?
A: Under the terms of an agreement with Vivendi, Blizzard and the other companies that make up Vivendi Games will combine with Activision to form a new public company called Activision Blizzard. We do not anticipate any difference in Blizzard’s operations as a result of the combination. Joining forces with Activision will create a stronger and more diversified company that we anticipate will benefit and strengthen both brands.

Q: What will happen to the Blizzard brand name?
A: The Blizzard brand name will stay the same as it’s always been: Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.

Q: What will change with regard to the day-to-day operations at Blizzard?
A: There will be no changes in the way Blizzard operates. All of the people, processes, and philosophies that have made Blizzard so successful will be preserved. Blizzard will benefit from all-star sales and distribution teams to service our products. In addition, the combined company will be stronger financially, managerially, and operationally.

Q: How will this impact Blizzard’s games?
A: This will not impact Blizzard’s games. We remain committed to providing the same high-quality game content and support that we always have. Development on Wrath of the Lich King and StarCraft II, as well as on our unannounced games, is continuing as normal.

Q: Will there be any visible differences in Blizzard’s logo or packaging/marketing materials as a result of this deal?
A: No, there won’t be any changes to our company name, logo, packaging/marketing materials, or anything else along those lines.

Q: Will there be any management changes at Blizzard as a result of this deal?
A: No, there won’t be any management changes at Blizzard as a result of the combination.

Q: Will Activision and Blizzard now share development teams?
A: No, both of our companies will continue to operate as they have previously with regard to game development.

Q: Will the release schedules for any Blizzard games be impacted?
A: No, the transaction will not have any impact on our games, our day-to-day operations, or our release timelines.

Q: Will any of Blizzard’s offices close as a result of the deal? Or, will any new offices open?
A: No, all of our offices will continue to function as they have, and we don’t foresee the need to open any new offices for the time being.

Q: Will any employees move to different offices as a result of the deal?
A: We don’t anticipate making any such moves as a result of the deal.

Q: Does this deal include Activision’s and Blizzard’s international offices?
A: Yes, every part of our companies in the U.S. and abroad is involved in this deal.

Q: If Activision Blizzard is a public company, does that mean I’ll now be able to buy stock in Blizzard?
A: Activision will be renamed Activision Blizzard, Inc and will continue to be a publicly listed company traded on NASDAQ. You will be able to buy stock in the combined company.

Q: When will the transaction be complete?
A: The transaction is subject to approval of Activision shareholders, customary closing conditions, and regulatory approvals. Pending approval, the companies expect the transaction to be completed by mid 2008.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...000174&sid=1#0
Fricfrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 08:14 PM   #19
fyreprone
Radeon R420

fyreprone is still being judged by the masses

Somehow I can't help but picture that it'll be more like Blizzard & A Bunch Of Other Developers. With Blizzard pulling most of the load in this business relationship. I mean, with WoW having what, 10 million monthly subscribers and the WotLK guaranteed at least half that in sales, plus their upcoming Starcraft 2 release... I can't imagine Blizzard really *needs* anyone right now.
fyreprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:25 PM   #20
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreprone View Post
I can't imagine Blizzard really *needs* anyone right now.
that's exactly what i don't get. i can't understand the synergy in this deal. the faq seems to make it clear that nothing changes for blizzard. then why do they need this?
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:32 AM   #21
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Companies getting too big is bad. But whatever; like we have any say in the matter. We're still gonna buy their games anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
Or how 'bout Blictivizzard?
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:33 AM   #22
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
that's exactly what i don't get. i can't understand the synergy in this deal. the faq seems to make it clear that nothing changes for blizzard. then why do they need this?
Vivendi was bought out, which includes Blizzard in the deal. I'm guessing it wasn't a Blizzard decision.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:50 AM   #23
mbeeston
Azure Tenebrae

mbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
agreed, and they make more sense
"Intelligence has nothing to do with politics." - ambassador muwlari
" when somethings weird and it don't look good, who do you think it is? GHOST NAPPA"
mbeeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:55 AM   #24
Maze
Bazinga!

Maze is still being judged by the masses

it seems that blizzard will stay the same. only this time it's not from vivendi but partly from activision and partly blizzard.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 02:03 AM   #25
Sharkfood
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Sharkfood is still being judged by the masses

Man, I can't wait to play an online version of Pitfall! that carries a monthly subscription fee....

Don't spread my wealth, spread my work ethic.
3/21/2010 - R.I.P. Freedom, Democracy, America
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:25 AM   #26
Cartigan
Banned

Cartigan is still being judged by the masses

To quote that great philosopher of metallic make: "Well, we're boned."
Cartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:30 AM   #27
MadMartigan
Radeon Southern Islands

MadMartigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
Vivendi was bought out, which includes Blizzard in the deal. I'm guessing it wasn't a Blizzard decision.
Ermm..it's Activision that was bought out, not Vivendi ]

I just find it sad that poor Massive was considered so unimportant to not even get mentioned
A scarab is captured; ink is released.
Life is taken; and Age is given

D`ni
MadMartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:39 AM   #28
Unicron
Radeon Evergreen

Unicron is still being judged by the masses

Here's what is bad about the merger:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/03-12-2007-7018.html

Activision Blizzard, the new company formed by a merger between Activision and Vivendi, has revealed that it will be making new games in franchises like Call of Duty and Guitar Hero "on an annual basis".

It's a move that sounds a lot like rival publishing behemoth EA's strategy of pumping out new versions of its core titles every year. EA has been criticised by some gamers for focusing on this model of publishing over high quality new games.

Speaking in a conference call today, Robert Kotick, chairman and CEO of Activision, said: "You can expect virtually every one of those properties (its 10 multi-million unit-selling franchises) will be exploited on an annual or close to annual basis."

Get ready for Guitar Hero '08, Call of Duty '08 etc...

Activision will run their franchises into the ground ....

Reminds me of another company that does this ... starts with an 'E' and ends with an 'A'
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:46 AM   #29
MadMartigan
Radeon Southern Islands

MadMartigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
Here's what is bad about the merger:
What does that have to do with merger? Activision has been doing it well on their own already.
Ubi also is following this route anyway
A scarab is captured; ink is released.
Life is taken; and Age is given

D`ni
MadMartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:19 AM   #30
Drift3r
Radeon R600

Drift3r is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
vampire bloodlines comes to mind.

somehow, i don't see how this news can be good for gamers...
This might be good for VBTM because now they might be able to release some editing stuff pending White Wolf's approval I hope. Though I don't think anyone is actively petitioning them for the release of source code or a editor nowadays.
Drift3r is offline   Reply With Quote