Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jan 1, 2022, 01:48 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
switchAMG
Radeon Arctic Islands

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Default Rage Runners 2022

Not sure if I have any other runners in the Rage House? I started running again at the start of the pandemic -- since then I have done numerous Half-marathons and a marathons this past September. Working towards my first Ultra and another marathon in 2022.

Any other running nerds in here?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:26 AM   #2
ugly
Radeon R700

ugly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyugly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

No.

I tried running at the start of the pandemic. I really messed up my ankles in a collision playing hockey. It caused a lot of knee pain. So I was limping around the ice when the lockdown started.

I used that time to take some time off to rest and then reset. Started with just walking for a few months. Then would jog like a block during my walk to test the legs. It hurt pretty much right away.

Eventually I started running somewhat regularly. But I never could get into it. After about 2 miles I give up. It ends up being a combination of getting tired and then not enjoying it enough to try pushing myself. So I just turned it into a fairly easy 2 mile run a couple times a week. I tried to do a few sprints in there too.

And when things opened up and I started playing hockey again, I was hoping that I'd been in good shape from running. It barely helped. Hockey and long distance running are two different animals.

At least my knees are feeling better know. Not perfect, but the running did seem to help.
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2022, 09:34 AM   #3
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Sundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I do tops 10km run. Anything further would be torture.
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:06 AM   #4
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I like to speed walk or just walk bout 5 to 10km a shot once or twice a week. We did one in the snowmobile and snowshoe trails last week which was quite a bit more work.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:25 AM   #5
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
Not sure if I have any other runners in the Rage House? I started running again at the start of the pandemic -- since then I have done numerous Half-marathons and a marathons this past September. Working towards my first Ultra and another marathon in 2022.

Any other running nerds in here?
I love running, but I can't put down the kind of miles that you're talking about. I sprained an ankle and snapped some major tendons while training for a marathon back in grad school (running on ice, shouldn't have done that). Ankle never healed fully, even a decade later and after physical therapy. Since then I've never been able to run more than a dozen miles per week or else my ankle starts to have bad problems.

Additionally, I've gained some significant weight. Currently sitting 260+ lbs, plus turning 40, and I just don't have the stamina to run more than a couple miles at a time anymore. Also if I run regularly (3-4 days per week), after several months my body starts to protest and I have to take some time off. I really need to drop 60 pounds, but that's easier said than done.

I pumped out a mile and a half running yesterday after skateboarding at the skate park. Felt good and still had additional fuel in the tank. Went home and spent the afternoon removing a fairly large tree from my yard. Some days my body performs better than other days.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt

Last edited by SubCog : Jan 2, 2022 at 01:16 PM.
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:37 AM   #6
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

What are you running from.....mmmmmm?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 03:26 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I was up to 6 miles in 2021, but the last several months it's been difficult to run with all the stuff I've been doing to fix up the house for sale and a new med I started for ADHD. I'm going to be getting back to running and hope to get past 6 miles soon, probably try to start up again in the next 1-2 weeks. Enjoy running a lot now, and lost around 35lbs from it last year (along with 35lbs from diet alone).
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2022, 03:43 PM   #8
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I want to run. I even started this year while I was losing weight but boy I am out of shape something bad. Trying to do the couch to 5k and just never seem to get the time to progress beyond the first few levels.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2022, 09:16 PM   #9
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Start by walking/fast walking and biking. Running is hard on the body imo. Especially if you're older. Humans are more long distance walkers than short distant sprinters.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2022, 01:46 AM   #10
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Start by walking/fast walking and biking. Running is hard on the body imo. Especially if you're older. Humans are more long distance walkers than short distant sprinters.
then cycling

i can't run anymore at all since i ripped all 3 ligaments in my right knee in 92 skiing at snowbird utah

cycling helps my knees a lot but the repetitive impact from running not at all
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2022, 01:49 AM   #11
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Only time I run is when I have to poop and I am in a meeting. Then it’s like being flash baby!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2022, 09:20 AM   #12
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
That's how I started, was walking a mile at a time, started taking multiple walks per day pushing up the pace, got up to 7 miles walking per day then started to run.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:50 AM   #13
switchAMG
Radeon Arctic Islands

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Its definitely not for everyone -- and to be clear, if you are wanting to use running for losing weight -- its not the answer. If you want to lose weight focus on sprint intervals and weight training (deadlifts, squats, etc.)

If anyone tells you that you lose weight from distance running, you do not. Its great for cardiovascular and mental health -- I do it because I enjoy it. I feel better, sleep better and have more energy. It was also a productive hobby to get me through COVID.

I started with couch to 5km in April of 2020. This was painful, been years since I really run regularly. I started with run for 60 secs, walk for 60 secs. After about 4-5 weeks I ran my first full 5km. Then I started working towards 10km, then 12km, then 15km then by January 2021 I started training for a half marathon -- completed that in April 2021. Did a couple more half marathons. In June 2021 I started training for a full marathon -- completed that in September 2021. My body was pretty beat up after that and took a couple months off. Just getting back at it consistently now.

This time I am incorporating more weight training to my routine -- strength training is so important to minimize injuries. Over the last couple years I have had runner's knee in both knees (fixed both with a trip to physio and a regular routine of 3 exercises I do before and after runs), and recently a lower back problem, which is actually related to too much sitting at work.

Here are some weekly estimates I use for training:

5k – New Runner (20-25 kms)/ Seasoned Runner (30-40kms)
10k – New Runner (30-35 kms)/ Seasoned Runner (45-60kms)
21k – New Runner (40-45 kms)/ Seasoned Runner (65-75kms)
42k – New Runner (40-50 kms)/ Seasoned Runner (80-90 kms)

What I have learned in a couple years of doing this:

- running does not make you lose weight (its great for maintenance but not for weight loss)
- running should be prescribed for mental health
- running is not as hard on your body as critics claim (I am in my 40s and ran 1800kms in 2021, I am fine)
- my resting HR went from 69 to 43
- you need to supplement with weight training (for weight loss and injury prevention)
- unless you have a goal, its really difficult to stay disciplined running 5 days a week (read: 5km, 10km, half, full, etc. race with associated plan)
- get 8+ hours sleep
- I have done every drug under the sun, nothing came close to the feeling of running my first half or full marathon
- you need minimum 3 pairs of shoes in rotation (one pair of shoes is recipe for injury)

Anyways, if anyone wants tips or plans let me know.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:10 AM   #14
KAC

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

That’s impressive.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:27 AM   #15
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
- you need minimum 3 pairs of shoes in rotation (one pair of shoes is recipe for injury)
You'll have to elaborate on this. I get that you shouldn't continue running on a pair of shoes that are worn out. But it seems like you should be able to retire shoes early, rather than rotate shoes.

Is there some property of running shoes that lets them recover from deterioration if you let them rest for a couple days?

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:59 PM   #16
switchAMG
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
You'll have to elaborate on this. I get that you shouldn't continue running on a pair of shoes that are worn out. But it seems like you should be able to retire shoes early, rather than rotate shoes.

Is there some property of running shoes that lets them recover from deterioration if you let them rest for a couple days?
There are a few reasons -- but the two main, tangible ones:

1) Reduced Risk of Injury - most running related injuries are due to repetitive movement. Running in same shoes means your body always in same position -- rotating shoes changes position and relieves repetitive stress. I started running with one pair of shoes -- within 2 months, I had an issue with my knee. Got another pair of shoes, rotated, problem was gone in a week.

2) Different shoes for different speeds - I have race day shoes, tempo shoes, slow day shoes, sore feet day shoes, snow shoes, trail shoes, recovery day shoes etc. All these shoes are built different -- weight, support, feel, speed, comfort, etc.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 01:34 PM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
If you want to lose weight focus on sprint intervals and weight training (deadlifts, squats, etc.)

If anyone tells you that you lose weight from distance running, you do not.
I understand a lot of what you're saying here, but as someone who weighed 70lbs more a year ago, I lost the first half with diet alone, then stalled, and lost the 2nd half from diet and running. Running regularly kickstarted my weight loss and also did all the other things you've mentioned. I love running now. Never lost weight when I weight trained.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 01:48 PM   #18
switchAMG
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I understand a lot of what you're saying here, but as someone who weighed 70lbs more a year ago, I lost the first half with diet alone, then stalled, and lost the 2nd half from diet and running. Running regularly kickstarted my weight loss and also did all the other things you've mentioned. I love running now. Never lost weight when I weight trained.
Pareto principle I think -- weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. That said, running burns calories -- you go run for 30 mins, you will prob burn 300-400 calories. If you end your day in a deficit, you will lose weight. With me -- I find, in order to run 50kms a week I need alot of fuel -- lots of carbs, lots of protein. My last two months before my marathon I was running 80kms a week -- I was consuming serious calories to feed the machine. My weight plateaued -- I didn't gain, but I didn't lose weight either. Maybe for you its a combination of calories in/out, kickstarting your metabolism -- who knows -- either way, thats awesome man.

Just I found, for me -- low to medium intensity running isn't a recipe for weight loss -- sprinting intervals is. Again, just my experience. And the key to long distance, endurance running -- 70% of the time you are running slow (50-70% of race pace) -- run slow to run fast is the saying and it works.

But again, for me running offers a myriad of health benefits -- boosting mood, sleep quality and improving heart health. A long-term study on 55,137 people published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology even found that runners had a 30% lower risk of death from any cause, and a 45% lower risk of death from heart disease than their non-running peers during the 15-year study period. Researchers also observed that runners had 3 yr higher life expectancy compared with non-runners.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 02:14 PM   #19
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
There are a few reasons -- but the two main, tangible ones:

1) Reduced Risk of Injury - most running related injuries are due to repetitive movement. Running in same shoes means your body always in same position -- rotating shoes changes position and relieves repetitive stress. I started running with one pair of shoes -- within 2 months, I had an issue with my knee. Got another pair of shoes, rotated, problem was gone in a week.

2) Different shoes for different speeds - I have race day shoes, tempo shoes, slow day shoes, sore feet day shoes, snow shoes, trail shoes, recovery day shoes etc. All these shoes are built different -- weight, support, feel, speed, comfort, etc.
I see. So you're not talking about rotating through different pairs of identical shoes either... you're suggesting to have multiple brands/models of shoes to rotate through. That makes good sense to me (although I had never considered it before).

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Jan 3, 2022, 02:17 PM   #20
switchAMG
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
I see. So you're not talking about rotating through different pairs of identical shoes either... you're suggesting to have multiple brands/models of shoes to rotate through. That makes good sense to me (although I had never considered it before).
Different shoes (not same make/model)...

Here is "part" of my current collection -- I have a problem

These are my Porsche 911's (race/fast day shoes):

Old Jan 3, 2022, 07:31 PM   #21
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sexy.

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Jan 4, 2022, 02:08 PM   #22
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I did a Kramer in life and ran a marathon without training. Was in decent shape at the time and glad I got it done, but my biggest challenge is keep my brain interested....need a good podcast or music, or a buddy to run with. Former co-worker's husband was/is an ultra marathoner.....spends crazy time training.

Speaking of ultra-marathoners.....I listened to this podcast years ago and it was very interesting....from what I recall, a women has something happen to her brain where she loses the ability to feel the impact of "time"...she can run for two minutes or two hours and her brain can't tell the difference....becomes an amazing ultra runner

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts...291-in-running

might be of interest to those here
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:06 PM   #23
KAC

Those are some serious metrosexual runners.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 05:03 PM   #24
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Been a while since I've run, so did my usual stretches and went and did 2 miles. 9:10/mi pace, didn't walk any of it, felt good. Need to get back to where I left off. Probably going to run again Friday.

I like the idea of having multiple shoes. I've finally got a 2nd pair of shoes (boots actually) so I'm not wearing running shoes everywhere, so that should help longevity, but I'm also not wanting to wear through running shoes as fast as I have, so having multiple pairs would help. Loved the Nikes I had, but they wore out really fast wearing them as my every day shoe. The New Balance I have now are a similar design, but much cheaper, and have been just as comfortable with my running.

One of the things I like most about running is being able to shut my brain off while I run, all I need to focus on is running. I think that's really a big part of why I've started to love running, it gives me a sort of peace I don't typically get during the day. That's also why I'm okay with running without a major goal in mind, I just want to get out and run.

Last edited by Elysian : Jan 12, 2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 07:13 AM   #25
switchAMG
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Been a while since I've run, so did my usual stretches and went and did 2 miles. 9:10/mi pace, didn't walk any of it, felt good. Need to get back to where I left off. Probably going to run again Friday.
Great stuff man, good job. I am slowly working back into it as well. Just started a 12 week half marathon plan Monday.

Quote:
I like the idea of having multiple shoes. I've finally got a 2nd pair of shoes (boots actually) so I'm not wearing running shoes everywhere, so that should help longevity, but I'm also not wanting to wear through running shoes as fast as I have, so having multiple pairs would help. Loved the Nikes I had, but they wore out really fast wearing them as my every day shoe. The New Balance I have now are a similar design, but much cheaper, and have been just as comfortable with my running.
Yea it really works, shoes last forever.

Quote:
One of the things I like most about running is being able to shut my brain off while I run, all I need to focus on is running. I think that's really a big part of why I've started to love running, it gives me a sort of peace I don't typically get during the day. That's also why I'm okay with running without a major goal in mind, I just want to get out and run.
Exactly, been a great mental health thing in this pandemic. Get away from computer/work/life, turn on some music or a podcast and go run. My favourite is Sundays -- I usually do a 10-25km run, nice long relaxing run. Runner's high is a real thing. Having a bad day? Go run for 20 mins, I guarantee you will feel better. Anyways, good job man -- keep it up.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 02:01 PM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got back out there this morning, did around 4.5 miles total, around 2.5mi running. Went on a 2 mile run, then walked my dog that doesn't like to run on the leash, then walked my other dog and ran with him for a pretty good portion of the walk.

Didn't run since my last post, I quit caffeine after that post, and it took about a week to get past the headaches from caffeine withdrawal. I'm fully past that now, and pretty happy I did it. Caffeine was reacting poorly with my medication, pushing my blood pressure pretty high. My blood pressure usually is pretty low, so it was a very noticeable difference.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 03:22 PM   #27
switchAMG
Radeon Arctic Islands

Good job man. I am just finishing up this bout of omicron and hopefully back out on Tuesday. Going to start a 12 week half marathon plan.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk