Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 22, 2021, 01:04 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
I remember you posting about it. "The run of shame" I think is what you called it

That was one of the unique challenges of this game. Any boss could be easy to one player and maddeningly difficult to another. I found Manus fairly simple to beat at any level (with the necklace) but Kalameet on the other hand - I think I threw my controller over that one...more than once

I would easily drop $100 for a game if it could guarantee me that same experience all over again, I really would.
Yes, Kalameet was tough as well. Matter of fact they did up the challenge with all the DLC bosses, as per usual in their games. But you wouldn't really want it any other way right? By the time you beat the game you are good enough for a bigger challenge.

As for a new game that could give that same feel as the first time you played Souls? Eh, that's a big ask. Only one I can think of in recent memory that gave me a similar feel of something truly new and special was Death Stranding, although its a completely different style of game.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2021, 03:24 PM   #32
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:

Only a Soulsborne lover would get it
yep, if you think you have nerves of steel, maybe try something like AltF4, i actually yelled at my screen a few (.....) times

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2021, 03:34 PM   #33
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
yep, if you think you have nerves of steel, maybe try something like AltF4, i actually yelled at my screen a few (.....) times
I love that art style. I'm not sure perma-death is for me any more ....

The lure of Dark Souls wasn't the difficulty though. I think there's way too much focus on that because quite frankly, most of the game is easy once you learn it.

The maps are a 10/10, the atmosphere is easily an 8/10, the bits of lore to string you along are easily a 7/10, but the combat is just sublime. Any of the PVE encounters can be made as difficult or as easy as the player wants to make it.

Once I learned the ropes, the difficulty was literally the very last thing I was concerned about.

Speaking of which...where's the OP?

How far have you gotten mizzer?
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 22, 2021, 05:24 PM   #34
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

You could tell that some of the Bloodborne devs worked on DS3. Especially due to the animation timing on some of the enemies - whose mobility, attacks and openings were more suitable for the faster paced character you play in BB.

This is why in some areas DS3 can be quite difficult (or annoying), as you're fighting essentially BB style enemies with a character possessing slower DS style combat.
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI GTX980Ti 6GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2021, 11:22 AM   #35
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexion View Post
You could tell that some of the Bloodborne devs worked on DS3. Especially due to the animation timing on some of the enemies - whose mobility, attacks and openings were more suitable for the faster paced character you play in BB.

This is why in some areas DS3 can be quite difficult (or annoying), as you're fighting essentially BB style enemies with a character possessing slower DS style combat.
They do make it pretty obvious at one point.

Old Apr 23, 2021, 01:36 PM   #36
azalea
Radeon R420

azalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexion View Post
You could tell that some of the Bloodborne devs worked on DS3.
Where would you get that idea From?

I got fed up with respawning enemies when you backtrack, so didn't get that far into DS3. I get that it's lore, I get that it's to grind souls, but I also get bored.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 03:08 PM   #37
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea View Post
Where would you get that idea From?

I got fed up with respawning enemies when you backtrack, so didn't get that far into DS3. I get that it's lore, I get that it's to grind souls, but I also get bored.
Pro tip: Most enemies in Souls games you easily run right past.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 03:19 PM   #38
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Pro tip: Most enemies in Souls games you easily run right past.
Emphasis on the "easily".
Old Apr 24, 2021, 08:05 AM   #39
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

This thread actually has me wanting to do a new playthrough in a Souls game. But if i do I'd want to play something new. Really wish they'd release Bloodborne or the Demon's Souls remake on PC.

I was however also enjoying watching my son try his first attempt at Dark Souls, but i think he's about to give it up for now. It's too much for him yet i think. He got to the Taurus Demon all on his own which i was surprised at.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 08:33 AM   #40
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

real life stresses me enough already.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2021, 09:28 AM   #41
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Yeah admittedly these games can be stressful. But i like to think it's a therapeutic kind of stress. The feeling of relief and accomplishment after beating a stressful area or boss is unmatched in any other game. Its the main reason i like the games.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 09:48 AM   #42
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
This thread actually has me wanting to do a new playthrough in a Souls game. But if i do I'd want to play something new. Really wish they'd release Bloodborne or the Demon's Souls remake on PC.

I was however also enjoying watching my son try his first attempt at Dark Souls, but i think he's about to give it up for now. It's too much for him yet i think. He got to the Taurus Demon all on his own which i was surprised at.
I just finished another run recently on DaS 3 and what was odd was that it just felt like a slog all the way through. The game is beautiful and has it's moments but....

On the Demon's Souls remake, wait for a sale. Seriously, whatever platform you get it on.

Bloodborne is the next standard after DaS 1. If you have a PS4 it's worth the admission price. Masterpiece of a game.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 01:27 PM   #43
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Default Dark Souls in pictures

Easier to post the link than the separate pics, but

https://imgur.com/gallery/XSBQFqU
Old Apr 24, 2021, 05:32 PM   #44
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Quote:
I love that art style. I'm not sure perma-death is for me any more ....

The lure of Dark Souls wasn't the difficulty though. I think there's way too much focus on that because quite frankly, most of the game is easy once you learn it.

The maps are a 10/10, the atmosphere is easily an 8/10, the bits of lore to string you along are easily a 7/10, but the combat is just sublime. Any of the PVE encounters can be made as difficult or as easy as the player wants to make it.

Once I learned the ropes, the difficulty was literally the very last thing I was concerned about.

Speaking of which...where's the OP?

How far have you gotten mizzer?
I haven’t gone back to it since I decided to finish Strike Suit Zero: Director’s Cut. I finished it. Now it’s back to this beast.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2021, 07:42 PM   #45
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
I haven’t gone back to it since I decided to finish Strike Suit Zero: Director’s Cut. I finished it. Now it’s back to this beast.
Good luck. Have you played the first one? I'm guessing you have. The 2nd one I don't even really count as Dark Souls...just a Souls-like
Old Apr 24, 2021, 11:29 PM   #46
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Quote:
Good luck. Have you played the first one? I'm guessing you have. The 2nd one I don't even really count as Dark Souls...just a Souls-like
I played about 1 hour of the first one so I’m a noob with the lore and items.
Protip: I made the player character to look like my wife. It adds a sense of urgency during fights. Like I’m saving her life, you know?
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2021, 01:09 AM   #47
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Yeah admittedly these games can be stressful. But i like to think it's a therapeutic kind of stress. The feeling of relief and accomplishment after beating a stressful area or boss is unmatched in any other game. Its the main reason i like the games.
Very true I'll admit. I wish there were some type of middle ground for this type of visceral combat? The truth is that a middle ground would serve other games that have overly simplified combat well imo.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2021, 08:09 AM   #48
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler View Post
Very true I'll admit. I wish there were some type of middle ground for this type of visceral combat? The truth is that a middle ground would serve other games that have overly simplified combat well imo.
Well I'd argue the middle ground is the fact you can change the game to suit your skill level. Its quite flexible that way. Level up your build more, summon in someone to help with a certain boss, etc.

I always hear people complain about lack of difficulty modes, but the game can be changed in various ways to make it easier, or harder.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 12:37 PM   #49
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Well I'd argue the middle ground is the fact you can change the game to suit your skill level. Its quite flexible that way. Level up your build more, summon in someone to help with a certain boss, etc.

I always hear people complain about lack of difficulty modes, but the game can be changed in various ways to make it easier, or harder.
I'm beginning to really want a replay of the original now...I wonder if the servers are still up. I'm not paying for the 'remaster'...

edit: I'm such a liar. What is wrong with me?

Meh, now I have them all available on....that other platform....

Last edited by Lazy8s : Apr 25, 2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 04:24 AM   #50
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote