Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 10, 2021, 07:53 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I do run CO at -10 all core. Doesn’t make much difference. I ran it with a few more cores at -20 and it worked fine until I got my 3090 and started having crashes. So now I am back to -10. Either way we are talking about 1-2 C deltas and mostly above 80 C gaming performance unlike all the Intels I have had.
I was talking about 10-20 less C but I run all core at 4.6GHz, not 4.8 or whatever.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 05:10 PM   #32
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

Coming back to this. Right now I have an i5-8400 on a z370 mainboard. I want to still use a 65W part, so I could upgrade to an i9-9900 without having to replace the motherboard. Or I could replace the motherboard and go with 10900 or 11900 CPU.

Am I going to see a considerate gain in gaming with 9900 over 8400? And 10900/11900 vs 9900?
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2021, 05:34 PM   #33
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I'd just grab a 9900 (I'd go with the K..) and drop it in to that board. Alderlake is coming in October, with a refresh the year after. Don't waste $$ on a motherboard right now.

The 9900 is significantly faster than the 8400. 8c/16thread and almost double the cache. Definitely worth it.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 16, 2021, 08:35 AM   #34
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I also would go with a 9900K or just leave it be and wait for next gen. There's not enough performance increase in 10000 or 11000 series to warrant the cost of a new board.

Also the truth is any high end CPU from the past few years will generally be enough to get you to be GPU limited, especially at 1440P or higher. Even an 8700K will do that, or for that matter even a Ryzen 3600--not in all situations but in most situations. That's another reason why it's not worth buying a new board versus simply upgrading to the limit of your current one: you don't need the absolute fastest processor on the market, just a fairly fast one.

That being said, if you only have a 1080 you're probably GPU limited most of the time even with your current processor. If I were you I'd prioritize a GPU upgrade over a CPU upgrade (granted GPUs are not the easiest to come by right now).

Last edited by Nagorak : Jun 16, 2021 at 08:51 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2021, 09:56 PM   #35
Och
ATI Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I also would go with a 9900K or just leave it be and wait for next gen. There's not enough performance increase in 10000 or 11000 series to warrant the cost of a new board.

Also the truth is any high end CPU from the past few years will generally be enough to get you to be GPU limited, especially at 1440P or higher. Even an 8700K will do that, or for that matter even a Ryzen 3600--not in all situations but in most situations. That's another reason why it's not worth buying a new board versus simply upgrading to the limit of your current one: you don't need the absolute fastest processor on the market, just a fairly fast one.

That being said, if you only have a 1080 you're probably GPU limited most of the time even with your current processor. If I were you I'd prioritize a GPU upgrade over a CPU upgrade (granted GPUs are not the easiest to come by right now).
I have the RTX4000, which is equal to the RTX 2070. Right now it is paired to an i5-8400 CPU, and I just ordered an i9-9900, without the K. I want to stay with 65W part.

My wife took over my old 8086k/1080 system.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:02 PM   #36
Och
ATI Champion

I'm also thinking about sending the 9900 to silicon lottery for the delid with liquid metal service for optimal cooling. I did it to my old 8086k and my daughters 9900K.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 02:40 PM   #37
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

My vote is for the 9900k option.

Then save money for the next gen stuff.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2021, 06:52 PM   #38
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

9900k is easily your best bang for buck. Are the 10 and 11 series faster? Sure. But not that much faster.

You can see it in GamerNexus benchies for the i9-11900k

That difference is not worth an entire platform jump at all imho.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2021, 07:07 PM   #39
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

9900K was the last toasty chip they made. Mine runs pretty cool though under water, but they really stepped up their IHS game or whatever they did on the 10000 series and newer.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2021, 04:18 AM   #40
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

My 9900k runs cool under the custom loop at 5Ghz. It did pretty well with the NZXT 360 as well. They aren't bad chips unless you OC the fool out of them and sock the power to it to keep it stable. But most chips heat up if you do that to them too.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2021, 05:43 AM   #41
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

The 9900K ran cool for me too. My 10900K is definitely pushing it lol, but I'm also trying to send a decent amount of voltage through it. It's fair I suppose
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:56 AM   #42
Och
ATI Champion

Thing is, I am using a small Noctua cooler, the NH-L9x65.

My 9900 came in, mailing it out to silicon lottery tomorrow for the delid service.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 01:06 AM   #43
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Delid yourself man.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2021, 09:11 AM   #44
Och
ATI Champion

Quote:
Delid yourself man.
LOL, no way! I'll end up breaking it.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 09:13 AM   #45
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Well your dime. It is a fun soothing therapeutic activity.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 07:21 AM   #46
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Well your dime. It is a fun soothing therapeutic activity.
Yeah, OK. My nerves could not handle that.

Same as all the times you took your 3090 apart.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2021, 07:25 AM   #47
KAC
It might be gays!

Haha yeah. That 3090 I took apart at least 10 times that I remember.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:36 PM   #48
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Haha yeah. That 3090 I took apart at least 10 times that I remember.
Ballsy.

yoz
Old Jun 24, 2021, 05:13 AM   #49
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
9900k is easily your best bang for buck. Are the 10 and 11 series faster? Sure. But not that much faster.

You can see it in GamerNexus benchies for the i9-11900k

That difference is not worth an entire platform jump at all imho.
While accurate at launch that's not exactly the story now for 11900k. The fact 11700k reviews 2 weeks later show it faster in everything is evidence of rapid updates - there have been loads of BIOS and microcode updates, more than any since Skylake launch.

But I also agree with you for OP, just get a 9900k. It's a fantastic CPU. I'd currently be perfectly happy with 9900k in my z370 rig TBH.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 05:37 AM   #50
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Still tons of issues with Z590. The change to the memory controller and how Rocket Lake handles it compared to Comet Lake seems to have really thrown Intel for a loop. I haven't seen them have a platform so unstable in years, hence all the updates.

At least they're doing something new. Bring me AlderLake
Old Jun 24, 2021, 05:42 AM   #51
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I don't know what you're talking about bro, it's stable as hell, WHEA errors are a known issue on Cometlake that RKL resolves due to a change in ring bus architecture. Hint - ring bus was not designed for 10 cores.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 07:06 PM   #52
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I don't have any WHEA errors. Sounds like unstable OCs and people too dumb to fix them.

If you wanna talk about WHEA errors, let's stare at all the dummies running Ryzen chips together.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:21 PM   #53
demo
space cadet

Well they're called internal parity errors which is a common issue on CML, even at stock or prime stable. It's to do with ringbus & 10 core config, resolved with RKL.
Z590 and RKL is incredibly stable and smooth from my experience.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 05:02 AM   #54
Nunz
RIP Roxen

If it's happening at stock, that means the chip is defective. The only time I throw WHEA errors are if I'm running too low voltage during workload changes; sometimes the VID gets ****y (my chip has this issue at 5.3Ghz or higher), or I'll throw those errors if I let the temps get too high. If I try for 5.3Ghz right now, I'll be stable until my Core4 taps 95c. I immediately get a Core L0 error, even though it won't cause the bench to fail.

I've never heard of anyone having issues with WHEA errors at stock and just accepting that or blaming ringbus for it. I'm not sure where you seen that, but throw me a link.

There's plenty of issues with RKL and Z590, and I've followed them all over the OCN forums. It's natural to have issues with a new design like RKL, especially since the last 4+ designs have essentially just been copy+paste with more cores.

I find it interesting that many people are having issues with memory OCs on Z590 + CML, or Z490 + RKL. They don't seem to pair well together. Lots of reports of people not able to get the memory OC to where it used to be with a Z590 + 10900K, even on the top-end mem OCing boards like the APEX.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 05:36 AM   #55
Nagorak

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I don't have any WHEA errors. Sounds like unstable OCs and people too dumb to fix them.

If you wanna talk about WHEA errors, let's stare at all the dummies running Ryzen chips together.
Most of the people getting WHEAs at this point on Ryzen are running their IF too high. Either that or their chip is defective (which unfortunately there seem to have been a lot more than there should have been). If you have a stable Ryzen system you shouldn't be getting WHEAs.

In general I agree that if you're getting WHEAs something is wrong with your chip whether Intel or AMD. It's not something I'd just tolerate.

Last edited by Nagorak : Jun 25, 2021 at 05:41 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 05:39 AM   #56
Nagorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
Thing is, I am using a small Noctua cooler, the NH-L9x65.

My 9900 came in, mailing it out to silicon lottery tomorrow for the delid service.
What's done is done, but I would have advised against bothering to delid the 9900. They used solder on the 9000 series versus paste on 8000, and although not perfect it helped a lot (I have both a 9900KF and an 8700K). If I were you I'd have waited to see whether you actually had any issues since your chip is locked and isn't going to be pushing really high frequency/voltage anyway.

With that being said, I'm sure it's not going to hurt anything to have the CPU delided.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 05:53 AM   #57
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Most of the people getting WHEAs at this point on Ryzen are running their IF too high. Either that or their chip is defective (which unfortunately there seem to have been a lot more than there should have been). If you have a stable Ryzen system you shouldn't be getting WHEAs.

In general I agree that if you're getting WHEAs something is wrong with your chip whether Intel or AMD. It's not something I'd just tolerate.
Yes. I was making a funny at AMD lying during the 5000 launch.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:17 PM   #58
acroig
Troll SMod

Remind me, who was getting lots of WHEA errors on his AMD CPU?

yoz
Old Jun 25, 2021, 05:11 PM   #59
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I find it interesting that many people are having issues with memory OCs on Z590 + CML, or Z490 + RKL. They don't seem to pair well together.
Yes that's where problems seem to be, not with Z590+RKL.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 05:41 PM   #60
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I was bringing that up as a separate point. There's tons of info on issues with Z590+RKL. Regardless, none of that was really the focus of my original post. I'm glad Intel changed things up with RKL and tried something different.. It's okay dude