Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Dec 7, 2001, 03:23 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
AmanoJaku
Whoooo wanta some wang?

AmanoJaku is still being judged by the masses

Default Final Fantasy X

I saw a guy playing the japanese version at FuncoLand... WOW Me want

Now should I preorder or fight the hordes later...
NO COMPASSION

I am Alpha and Omega.
The beginning and the end.
The first and the last.

this sig was automatically shortened to meet the 10-lines max rule
AmanoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2001, 04:20 PM   #2
Themlasu
Cosmic

Themlasu is still being judged by the masses

I played the demo, and since its an rpg its right up my alley. So when Dec.26th comes I'll have my copy.
when we are dreaming, and as often happens, have a dim consciousness of the fact and try to wake, do we not say and do things which in waking life would be insane? May we not then sometimes define insanity as an inability to distinguish which is the waking and which the sleeping life? We often dream without the least suspicion of unreality: 'Sleep hath its own world', and it is often as lifelike as the other.
Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll)
Themlasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2001, 06:12 PM   #3
BASnappl
Radeon R200

BASnappl is still being judged by the masses

I love the Final Fantasy series, it's because of FFX and MGS2 that I might want a PS2. But given the choice between those two, and the library coming to the Gamecube, the choice becomes clear. And anyway, I read on one of those pages that Squaresoft made a formal appology to Nintendo for the things it said in the N64 days. It didn't outline any particular reason, but I guess they're at least on talking terms now.
256MB PC2100 DDR Crucial
80 gigs hd space
Plexwriter 16x10x40x
SBLive X-Gamer
Radeon 8500
BASnappl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 7, 2001, 06:47 PM   #4
Five-seveN
Adios, Rage3D

Five-seveN is still being judged by the masses

Hrm, what's better to put a huge game on, 32 megabyte cartridge or a 700 megabyte CD, not to mention CD's cost 20 cents to make while the N64 cartridges cost 28 dollars back in the day. No wonder Square was pissed As for FFX, I have a friend who's beaten it and it's on terms with FF7 in overall quality and story. /me want badly!!!

I got a sad one too.

Bye guys. It's been a lot of fun.
Five-seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2001, 09:14 PM   #5
BASnappl
Radeon R200

it's not really a matter of what format is better. It's more of "it's not nice to trash talk in the professional world"
256MB PC2100 DDR Crucial
80 gigs hd space
Plexwriter 16x10x40x
SBLive X-Gamer
Radeon 8500
Old Dec 8, 2001, 01:41 AM   #6
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Id say more a combination of both.
see, You can end up with many things:

20 N64 Cartridges with some strangeo cartridge adapter that allows for changing of cartridges in game when necessary. (Plus they be like 512mbit (64mb) with highly compressed videos and look awful and theyd be heavy too. So you'd be packing a suitcase weighing a good 50lbs worth of N64 Final Fantasy)

Or 4 CD's with the ability to load off whats needed into memory and switch disks when required.

Then u get the grudge where no one wants to be associated with each others guts.

See where im going? (or lack thereof)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2001, 02:56 AM   #7
Buggy Loop
Rage3D Veteran

Buggy Loop is still being judged by the masses

Right, business wise it was much better for square to go with the CD format over cartridges back in the days, most developers followed this.

Though, square though filling the CD with fmv sequences would be a good idea, 5 years later, suzuki leave square saying that it was a dumb mistake to have went into that direction. FMV does not sell games, Dragon quest is the living proof of this. They should of sticked with their nes/snes art style for FF rather than some blown off mainstream movie. I liked FF7 though, but it still doesnt top FF3.

And boy, is square biting their nails about pissing off nintendo right now ? You bet, gamecube is and WOULD be a better platform for square financially, and gba well, thats a mountain of money.

Btw, FFX will be released in USA this month
Buggy Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2001, 08:13 AM   #8
Torr_Samaho
work work

Torr_Samaho is still being judged by the masses

Does anyone know the release date for europe ?
I really need this game

P.S. I think FF2 on the gameboy was the best
Torr_Samaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2001, 08:54 AM   #9
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Uriel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Five-seveN
As for FFX, I have a friend who's beaten it and it's on terms with FF7 in overall quality and story. /me want badly!!!
too bad that FF7 sucks very badly
FF8 even worse
FF9 a little bit better

I loved Xenogears, prolly the best CRPG I ever played, but FF for the PSX is just too crappy

FF10 looks like it could be a bit better but I doubt they'll ever make such a classic as FF3/6 or 2/4
nor will Xenosaga be anywhere near as good as Xenogears...
Old Dec 8, 2001, 08:58 AM   #10
_leech_
Banned

_leech_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Uriel

FF8 even worse
FF9 a little bit better

I loved Xenogears, prolly the best CRPG I ever played, but FF for the PSX is just too crappy

FF10 looks like it could be a bit better but I doubt they'll ever make such a classic as FF3/6 or 2/4
I dunno, my feelings on the whole FF series are mixed. I REALLY enjoyed the earlier FF (6 and 5 especially) but ever since 8...eh. I'm still excited about FFX (probably pick it up someday) but overall i just feel like the stories and characters aren't as memorable or enjoyable as previous efforts. But that's just me
_leech_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2001, 09:41 AM   #11
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by _leech_

I dunno, my feelings on the whole FF series are mixed. I REALLY enjoyed the earlier FF (6 and 5 especially) but ever since 8...eh. I'm still excited about FFX (probably pick it up someday) but overall i just feel like the stories and characters aren't as memorable or enjoyable as previous efforts. But that's just me
not just you
everyone I know that has played the old SNES classics dislike the PSX series
it's just the n00b's that are head over heels about the 7+ versions

(notice a little bit of irony here)
Old Dec 8, 2001, 11:19 AM   #12
Themlasu
Cosmic

Themlasu is still being judged by the masses

I think it comes down to fact that old school gamers want more content. The newer ones want flash & flare...I liked 7, but thought the ending sucked (it felt so rushed that it annoyed me). FF8 was by far the worse for me, I didn't even get off the 2nd disk and put it up. I didn't bother with 9, because I started to play FF anthology (sucks ff6 doesn't work on the ps2), then chronicle (chrono trigger is still one of the best)...and xenogears. The again who are we to say they are wrong for liking them, or that they even suck. Now for xenosaga, I have high hopes for that one...since they have the key personel from xenogears back on the project.
when we are dreaming, and as often happens, have a dim consciousness of the fact and try to wake, do we not say and do things which in waking life would be insane? May we not then sometimes define insanity as an inability to distinguish which is the waking and which the sleeping life? We often dream without the least suspicion of unreality: 'Sleep hath its own world', and it is often as lifelike as the other.
Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll)
Themlasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2001, 11:38 AM   #13
Torr_Samaho
work work

Torr_Samaho is still being judged by the masses

So no one knows the release dates for europe ?
Torr_Samaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2001, 12:21 PM   #14
Five-seveN
Adios, Rage3D

Five-seveN is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

FF8 even worse
FF9 a little bit better

Don't you remember the air around it's release? Everyone was going nuts over the game! It used full motion video to tell the story along with sweet 3d in game play. FF7 is what got half of all Final Fantasy nuts hooked. Don't even judge this game until you've played it all the way through, and if you would've before bashing it then you would realize that it's a classic and overall spectacular game. Most people will tell you that they will forever remember when Aeris died in FF7, *SNIFF* it brings back wonderful memories... FF7 is a landmark game and there's no disputing it, not my fault if you see it differently than most everyone else.

I got a sad one too.

Bye guys. It's been a lot of fun.
Five-seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2001, 12:31 PM   #15
MyTMouse
Banned

MyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I loved FF7...didn't really care for 8 or 9. I remember when early screen shots of FF on the N64 (back before they left Nintendo)...the in-game graphics looked way better than the PSX but obviously they wouldn't have been able to do as much with a 512Mbit cart.

Square sure would rake in piles of $ if they managed to bring FF and other games to GCN and GBA but I doubt we'll ever see that
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2001, 12:37 PM   #16
AmanoJaku
Whoooo wanta some wang?

Quote:
Originally posted by MyTMouse
Square sure would rake in piles of $ if they managed to bring FF and other games to GCN and GBA but I doubt we'll ever see that
Are you saying they aren't raking in piles already?... I think they are making sh!tloads of the PS/PS2 games why bother with Nintendo, considering what had happened previously.

Now porting is okay all this exclusivity crap is giving me the sh!ts
NO COMPASSION

I am Alpha and Omega.
The first and the last.

Old Dec 8, 2001, 12:42 PM   #17
MyTMouse
Banned

MyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Oh believe me, Square would love to make lots of games for Nintendo again...sure they're making a lot of money but you don't usually find companies that give up the oppourtunity to make more
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2001, 12:44 PM   #18
AmanoJaku
Whoooo wanta some wang?

Quote:
Originally posted by MyTMouse
Oh believe me, Square would love to make lots of games for Nintendo again...sure they're making a lot of money but you don't usually find companies that give up the oppourtunity to make more
True
NO COMPASSION

I am Alpha and Omega.
The first and the last.

Old Dec 8, 2001, 01:31 PM   #19
BASnappl
Radeon R200

it just seems to be the right combination in my mind. With nintendo and square making so many hits in the snes days... maybe they lost some of their magic with the psx? anyway, i'd like to see them working more closely with nintendo again. (mainly so i don't miss the next final fantasy's once i get my gamecube )
256MB PC2100 DDR Crucial
80 gigs hd space
Plexwriter 16x10x40x
SBLive X-Gamer
Radeon 8500
Old Dec 8, 2001, 05:08 PM   #20
RadeonMAXX
Driver FiEND

RadeonMAXX is still being judged by the masses

Angry

So when is Final Fantasy 9 coming out for the PC??
IWILL KK266 http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1489&p=10

Save lives & fold for TEAM RAGE3D!
HERE
DirectX 9 beta 1 Prepatched!(Time Limit removed)

The Goonies 2(original cast is back!) http://oregon.pacificnorthwestmovies.com/TheGoonies2
RadeonMAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2001, 05:50 PM   #21
Caleb
Radeon Arctic Islands

Caleb is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

FF8 even worse
FF9 a little bit better

Duh what do you mean, FF7 is in my opinion the best FF. The materia system and the storyline is uncontested. I lked FF3 alot too, but FF7 is still by far my favorite. FF8 was bad, mostly because the magic system sucked balls, FFIX's story didnt catch me and some of the passages in the game was so bad that I never bothered to finish the game. Also, FFIX had way too fixed movmenet, for too much of the game you didnt have a choice of where to go. And it was also way too short(although I didnt complete it, I looked in a FAQ to see what I missed, and it wasnt much)
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2001, 05:51 PM   #22
Caleb
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by RadeonMAXX

Just get the PSX version, it runs much better on ePSXe than any port will. You saw how bad the ports of VII and VIII was.
Old Dec 8, 2001, 09:08 PM   #23
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by Five-seveN

Don't you remember the air around it's release? Everyone was going nuts over the game! It used full motion video to tell the story along with sweet 3d in game play. FF7 is what got half of all Final Fantasy nuts hooked. Don't even judge this game until you've played it all the way through, and if you would've before bashing it then you would realize that it's a classic and overall spectacular game. Most people will tell you that they will forever remember when Aeris died in FF7, *SNIFF* it brings back wonderful memories... FF7 is a landmark game and there's no disputing it, not my fault if you see it differently than most everyone else.
yes yes, I remember FMV just like I remember FMV in those great first generation Sega CD games
w00t, hella fun
3D oh yes, our saviour, it makes the lousiest game seem fine and dandy

I played ALL FF games (NES, SNES, PSX) from beginning to end
most of them several times (even the lousy Mystic Quest for SNES, the remakes for PSX etc.)
what made you assume something else?

as I said all the people that I know that has played the pre-PSX games, loathe the crappy FF7, 8 and 9
ok maybe that's a bit harsh, but at least they're not nearly up to par with FF 2/4 or 3/6 in my oppinion
with the PSX videogames became "pop"-culture, take a good look at pop-culture and then honestly tell me that quality sells...
just look at the musicindustry for a good example

Xenogears is the only post-FF3/6 Squaregame that has had the complexity, character design, story and content of a true classic IMHO (it even added a preety neat new battlesystem)
no 3D rendering can ever do anything about that, nor 4 CDs of FMV...
Old Dec 8, 2001, 10:25 PM   #24
AmanoJaku
Whoooo wanta some wang?

Quote:
Originally posted by RadeonMAXX
I just bought it for my ps2 so I care not anymore
NO COMPASSION

I am Alpha and Omega.
The first and the last.

Old Dec 9, 2001, 02:04 AM   #25
da5id
Radeon R100

da5id is still being judged by the masses

Default I prefer FF7

Just for the record, I'll state that I own both FF2/4, FF3/6, FF7, and FF8.. And I really do prefer FF7's storyline to that of FF3's. FF3 is a great game, it just didn't drag me in as well as FF7 did.
Old Dec 9, 2001, 04:28 AM   #26
Caleb
Radeon Arctic Islands

I have also played all FF's and I still think FF7 is the best, and I couldnt care less about the FMV's. I have always been a sucker for gameplay and story over "looks". As I said, the materiea system is uncontested, no other FF game have been so tactical in its battle system. Im actually playing FF7 for the 6th time now. The story is also great, although I am not so fond of Aeries, the story is still great, and luckily she dies anyway.

Last edited by Caleb : Dec 9, 2001 at 04:32 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2001, 08:04 AM   #27
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by Onde Pik
I have also played all FF's and I still think FF7 is the best, and I couldnt care less about the FMV's. I have always been a sucker for gameplay and story over "looks". As I said, the materiea system is uncontested, no other FF game have been so tactical in its battle system. Im actually playing FF7 for the 6th time now. The story is also great, although I am not so fond of Aeries, the story is still great, and luckily she dies anyway.
there's talk about a FF7 remake for PS2 and Square said they would add some features, one of those might be beeing able to revive Aeries

guess most of you missed my note about irony, FF7, 8 and 9 are good game
I just don't get any Final Fantasy vibe at all, nothing that made me love the series is present in the PSX series

hehe, not trying to pick a fight with the ones that actually like the PSX games...

has anyone tried "FF3 PC"?
it's the original game with some added features (you can now play Leo etc.) 32 bit colkr graphics, bugfixes, higher quality music etc.
edit: of course they upped the resolution too (only to 640*480 though)
Old Dec 13, 2001, 08:27 PM   #28
BASnappl
Radeon R200

The future looks dark and full of petty squabbles for Squaresoft and Nintendo:

Bloomberg reported that Square and Nintendo have been exchanging ideas on developing for the Nintendo platforms. At the current state, Square does not have plans to develop for GameCube, due to the different point of views on online games. Nintendo's idea is to connect GameCube, GameBoy Advance and cellular phone together to form a gaming network for small groups of people. Square is aiming to provide online game software on large scale server which can serve several thousands of people simultaneously. At this point it seems the chance for the Square software to reappear on Nintendo platforms is smaller.
256MB PC2100 DDR Crucial
80 gigs hd space
Plexwriter 16x10x40x
SBLive X-Gamer
Radeon 8500
Old Dec 14, 2001, 12:25 PM   #29
CowboyBebop
Rage3D Sage

CowboyBebop is still being judged by the masses

Default My love of FF left me long ago

With FF3 that was the best game story wise, when I got FF7 I was excited because it was the next series the follow up to FF3. Needless to say I never finished FF7 and I never looked back. Total disappiontment, I laughed, got angry, and maybe even a little teary eyed when I played FF3, yes square definately lost it's magic.
CowboyBebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2001, 01:03 AM   #30
legend

legend is still being judged by the masses

ffv7 was the firt ff i have played and my fav by far.I thought ffv111 was a step down and then ffix a another step down from ffv111. I hope the trend does'nt continue with me for ffx. ffv11 had the most memorable villian i have seen in a game seperoth what a character and a griping story, one of my favourites clouds past. I found the omega weapon battle to in fviii near the end of the game in ulitimecias castle to be the toughest fight in the ffs i have played but i beat him, u don't have to kill him to win the game.
legend is offline   Reply With Quote