Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Feb 17, 2021, 11:14 PM   #721
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Looks a bit overkill. If they dont up the gddr6 to 18 gbps it might not be that much faster...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:50 AM   #722
Bitey
feck off

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

It seems to scale better than the fixed memory bandwidth would suggest, I think the infinity cache speed probably scales with gpu clock frequency.
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 01:29 AM   #723
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
Went through this, give it a rest. But it is clear to me now, you just hate being wrong on this. For whatever reason, you are still bothered by it. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but when I see how you post (grammar, etc), how you debate me, how you respond to people, and even reading your signature.... you come across to me as having 'Asperger-Autismus'. You are so fixated on this, you're following me around with a grudge.

The point of the debate to begin with started because you were trying to bring up an example of AMD not sharing technology such as x86 as a counterpoint to them being open-source friendly vs Nvidia who have a knack for propriety technology. This was innocently dishonest on your part. Because as I have already pointed out to you, and even with your articles you have used (such as anadtech's), I showed it that was not really the case.

In order for AMD to license out ''x86'' (I use quotes here because these copy chips are heavily stripped of many instruction sets even though performance is identical to zen 1), they have to control the majority share of the companies the license it out to. The Chinese companies that produce and design AMD's technology are essentially owned by AMD.

They can't just lend out x86. It does not work that way. This is a joint venture and it's AMD letting AMD use x86. This is the only way for VIA and AMD to do this, and as whole, it was a bad example to show that AMD is not open-source friendly or to be more precise, that AMD is no different than Nvidia. I hope you understand this better and can move on.

I'm sorry I was rude to you in the previous thread. I'm not going to entertain you anymore on this.
More semantic and circular nonsense.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 18, 2021, 01:46 AM   #724
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
More semantic and circular nonsense.
be nice

i remember you going on for over a year on amd dropping sweet spot prices
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 02:24 AM   #725
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Not really and that was some time ago.

I recall offering it was Amd's engineering and execution that placed the HD 7970 at the higher asking.price point and offering the market sets pricing.

I did go on about many on forums that strongly defended Amd's sweet spot strategy doing a complete 180 strongly defending premium pricing with the jump in price with the Hd 7970.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 05:28 AM   #726
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

AMD Radeon RX 6700XT has a release date

Rumored to be March 18th

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-rade...-on-march-18th
Old Feb 18, 2021, 08:39 AM   #727
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
be nice

i remember you going on for over a year on amd dropping sweet spot prices
Wait, did you just call someone out for "going on forever"?

Pot?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 09:39 AM   #728
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:

LordillWind
Changed my user profile name to Harbinger of doom to make it more appropriate
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:02 AM   #729
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

[quote=SuperGeil;1338269308]Went through this, give it a rest. But it is clear to me now, you just hate being wrong on this. For whatever reason, you are still bothered by it. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but when I see how you post (grammar, etc), how you debate me, how you respond to people, and even reading your signature.... you come across to me as having 'Asperger-Autismus'. You are so fixated on this, you're following me around with a grudge.

Is this what you meant Great song by the way you should listen to it. Saw Ian Dury whilst at University of Manchester in about 1979/80.

Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:06 AM   #730
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Wait, did you just call someone out for "going on forever"?

Pot?
on that one sure

Stove
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:06 AM   #731
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
on that one sure

Stove

yoz
Old Feb 18, 2021, 04:14 PM   #732
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
AMD Radeon RX 6700XT has a release date

Rumored to be March 18th

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-rade...-on-march-18th
Those posts from forum members on the videocardz link are quite illuminating. It'll be the same for the 3060 as well. Haven't seen an XseriesX in the UK for a couple of months now although PS5's have been dropping by all accounts. I don't think much will change whilst the pandemic is still on but we can hope.

Personally got everything I need now so just a bystander watching the world go by. No offence.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 04:40 PM   #733
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Went through this, give it a rest. But it is clear to me now, you just hate being wrong on this. For whatever reason, you are still bothered by it. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but when I see how you post (grammar, etc), how you debate me, how you respond to people, and even reading your signature.... you come across to me as having 'Asperger-Autismus'. You are so fixated on this, you're following me around with a grudge.

Is this what you meant Great song by the way you should listen to it. Saw Ian Dury whilst at University of Manchester in about 1979/80.

Sorry Sir Pauly no offence intended to you. I thought our German Dumpkopf was having a pop at me about Asperger-Autismus so I thought I'd respond to him in a more comical manner. Having reread his rant I'm not sure which one of us he was moaning about.

Anyway it's a good song but misunderstood at the time. There's also a good song Ian Dury wrote about the aforementioned forum member which is probably more apt call F*** off Noddy. Very witty and very tongue in cheek tune. It's on google if you want to look. Obviously I can't post a link but I laughed all afternoon after I listened to it.

OK Trunks0 and Higgy10 last off topic post promise I'm suitably admonished.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 07:49 PM   #734
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
...I thought our German Dumpkopf...
Ach so... It seems the 3090 is having fun with ray-tracing Rosetta Stone.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 07:54 PM   #735
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Looks a bit overkill. If they dont up the gddr6 to 18 gbps it might not be that much faster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It seems to scale better than the fixed memory bandwidth would suggest, I think the infinity cache speed probably scales with gpu clock frequency.
What Bitrey said.

RDNA 2 is not benefiting from more memory bandwidth. This seems to be the biggest misconception out there with RDNA 2.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Feb 18, 2021, 09:09 PM   #736
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
What Bitrey said.

RDNA 2 is not benefiting from more memory bandwidth. This seems to be the biggest misconception out there with RDNA 2.
Well they tested the Toxic at 2.7 ghz wouldnt it be better to have faster ram if you increase gpu speed?

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Feb 19, 2021, 06:54 AM   #737
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Well they tested the Toxic at 2.7 ghz wouldnt it be better to have faster ram if you increase gpu speed?
Here you go.

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graph...6900-xt-toxic/

For comparison purposes.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-page...-review,1.html
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:44 AM   #738
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Ya were not seeing ~25% perf for a ~25% oc...

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Feb 19, 2021, 06:11 PM   #739
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Ya were not seeing ~25% perf for a ~25% oc...
My take away form those reviews is you're getting about 5% better performance than stock and If you O/C maybe 5% more, so 10% for a lot more money, heat and power. It's the same with the 3080/90 there is not much O/C room left they're already nearly maxed out.

It's becoming a law of diminishing returns really as AIB cards are struggling to offer higher O/C's out of the box but they do offer better cooling, heat and power. I think the three things I mentioned are worth a 10% price hike but some might disagree.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 06:34 PM   #740
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Ach so... It seems the 3090 is having fun with ray-tracing Rosetta Stone.
TBH I went to an English Grammer School and we had to take a language 'O' level so I chose German because I disliked the French more and to my utter surprise I passed with a C grade. Gave it up after that.

Still remember the odd words Best one was Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung. How many letters do you need to say speed limit.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:02 AM   #741
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Our nouns only look longer because English breaks up its nouns into smaller words. And that is also an extreme-case-example.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Feb 21, 2021, 02:03 AM   #742
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
PowerColor Radeon RX 6900 XT Liquid Devil Graphics Card Leaks Out, Feature EK Water Block & Custom PCB Design
https://wccftech.com/powercolor-rade...ek-waterblock/
Old Mar 8, 2021, 07:21 AM   #743
acroig
Troll Mod

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Mar 8, 2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:15 AM   #744
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Is that the right link?
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:17 AM   #745
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Is that the right link?
Why yes, it is!

I can mod you too mister!

Thanks, can't post without caffeine...

yoz
Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:25 AM   #746
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Why yes, it is!

I can mod you too mister!

Thanks, can't post without caffeine...
I see what you did there
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:58 PM   #747
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Interesting tid bit on RT. When optimized RT on 6000 gen can be quite fast:

https://twitter.com/JirayD/status/1368997303495852046

Quote:
Philipp Munkes
@JirayD
·
8h
It now outperforms the 2080TI and even the 3080 in scenes 1 and 2, it performs on par with the 2080Ti in scene 3 and is slower in scenes 4 and 5.

Optimization matters.

The full patch is basically 2 lines of code (27+87):

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:27 AM   #748
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

That's not exactly surprising imho. They haven't been out very long. But I suppose it's good news as performance should increase as optimizations happen.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2021, 04:02 AM   #749
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Yes AMD actually performed better with RT up to a certain point, the issue is they crash in a heap once they hit a wall of RT effects where as Nv hardware still has legs.. That said, I was impressed with shadows in Riftbreaker, I thought that was a good example of what AMD is capable of within their limits and looks absolutely fantastic.

Last edited by demo : Mar 10, 2021 at 04:09 AM.
demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2021, 09:36 AM   #750
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Their RT is good until you actually try to run enough RT effects to make a true difference. I'm really excited to see the next gen cards from both companies .. I think NV and AMD both are going to impress.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote