Welcome to the Rage3D News forum! We at Rage3D are extremely pleased that you have decided to contribute to this exceptional website! Before you begin, however, there are a few things that you must know.
Here at Rage3D, we news moderators adhere to a high standard of quality, and we expect all other members to do the same. Therefore, it is imperative that you learn how to format your news posts correctly. It may seem a bit complicated at first, but you will get the hang of it in no time at all. So, let's get started!
Begin by finding a news article that you want to post (of course). The article must be computer-, electronics-, or technology-related.
Start a new thread in the "Submit News" forum. Create a title for the new thread.
Begin your news post with a brief overview and/or your personal opinions of the topic at hand. Be sure to keep a neutral tone.
Hit Enter twice to go down two lines.
Copy/Paste a brief portion of the article and wrap it in a Newsquote. To do so, either highlight the article's text in the message editor and click the Newsquote button (the two overlapping pages), or type [newsquote] before the first letter of the article and
[newsquote] with a slash between the [ and the N after the last.
Hit Enter twice.
Reference your source in the following format: Source: ABCDE. Then provide a direct link to it. To do so, highlight the source that you have listed and click the "Insert Link" button (the paper clip with an addition (+) sign above it). You will then be prompted to add a URL. Add the URL of the first page of the news article.
Select an appropriate post icon for the thread. For example, if you are posting an NVIDIA-related news item, use the NVIDIA icon.
Click "Submit New Thread". A moderator will transfer the tread to the News forum or one of its child forums.
When you are finished, you should have a new post that looks like the following example (except that yours should not be completely bolded):
Title: News Posters Wanted at Rage3D
We are currently looking for new news posters. See above for instructions on how to do so.
Welcome to the Rage3D News forum! We at Rage3D are extremely pleased that you have decided to contribute to this wonderful website! Before you begin, however, there are a few things that you must know.
Here at Rage3D, we news moderators adhere to a high standard of quality, and we expect all members to do the same. Therefore, it is imperative that you learn how to format your news posts correctly. It may seem a bit complicated at first, but you will get the hang of it in no time at all. So, let's get started!
The following are some additional rules and tips:
- We prefer that news items be in English; however, if the only instance of a story happens to be in a language other than English, please run your chosen snippet of text through an online translator before pasting it into your newsquote.
- No hotlinking images! If you want to post one, please host it at a web site such as Imgur. We also prefer that the image be a thumbnail with an embedded link to the full-size version, since large images throw off the formatting of the front page.
- Forcing the Rage3D parser to format any text in black will make your news item unreadable in themes using a black background. In order to remove the color information from inappropriately colored text that you want to include in your news article, you should use the "Remove Text Formatting" button (sheet of paper with a red X) instead.
- Do not use capital letters unless it is grammatically correct. Conjoined names commonly found in domain names are the exception to this rule (e.g. HotHardware).
- Please use Verdana size 2 when typing your posts.
- The probability of us posting a news covered twice on the front page is diminutive at best. A quick glance to submit news forum and the frontpage will save you time and frustration.
That is all there is to it! If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact a member of the news team or general staff for assistance. We will be more than happy to assist you!
NOTE: Some parts of this guide were taken from the following threads:
"Guide to posting news - Proper formatting (very important!)" by Judas
"Guide to posting news - The basics" by MrB
And, lastly, a big thank you to caveman-jim for his input in making this guide.