Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Console Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Official PlayStation 5 thread (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34050735)

SubCog Mar 20, 2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338182882)
It's always like that, with the exception of the current gen. Each generation the consoles are pretty powerful for what they are, but after 2 years they are already out of date (in comparison to medium-highend PC hardware).

I don't think this is like any other console generation. This is the first console generation that will be targeting very solid 60fps for most games, which has been mostly the cost-of-entry for PC gaming for the last 2 decades. 60fps is critical for running with m+k controls. At 30fps it's best to stick with thumbsticks... this will be the first generation that can even attempt to take over desktop gaming.

Sure, PCs will be alot more powerful in a couple years, but that matters less and less nowadays. With 4k graphics, ray tracing, high framerates, graphics will be driving straight into the diminishing-returns territory. Especially since most studios are targeting consoles anyway, I expect most upcoming games will run fine on console-level hardware for the duration of this generation.

SirBaron Mar 21, 2020 03:15 AM

If not at the start, then after one year Most games will be 4k30fps and many eventually will be below 4K upscale by checkerboard rendering.

If anyone thinks developers are going to stick with 60fps when they can increase visuals by dropping FPS or resolution then they’ve been living under a rock for the past 3 generations.

Frame rate and resolution are always the first to drop, always have, always will.

Lazy8s Mar 21, 2020 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338182766)
I've said it before, that I expect both xbox & playstation to make a play to take over PC gaming. This generation has the specs to run well with m+k controls. Even if each new console costs $600, I can buy both for about what I would spend on a new gaming PC.

Quite frankly I hope both PC and console markets make huge strides and keep gaming strong. If the game I'm playing looks great and runs great then I really don't care which platform I'm using.

I'm very much of the same mind as you though. If I can get that satisfying experience for less than the cost of a new video card alone, I'll take it.

I'd sure like to see that backwards compatibility though...

SubCog Mar 22, 2020 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338183001)
Quite frankly I hope both PC and console markets make huge strides and keep gaming strong. If the game I'm playing looks great and runs great then I really don't care which platform I'm using.

I'm very much of the same mind as you though. If I can get that satisfying experience for less than the cost of a new video card alone, I'll take it.

I'd sure like to see that backwards compatibility though...

For me it's both a matter of cost, but also a matter of simplicity. I just don't have time these days to tinker with my PC to get things to work right. There's been several times in the last few years that I set aside time to play a game, and end up tinkering with configs and such instead. I used to really enjoy the tinkering, but I just don't have time for it anymore.

Jay20016 Mar 23, 2020 10:02 AM

I honestly don't think that the PS5's big new SSD tech is going to be all that game changing or even noticeable on something other than their exclusives. If it is cross platform game, I doubt that most developers are going to design for two separate systems vs. go with the lowest common denominator, which is still a HUGE increase over previous gen.

As for why the Xbox or PS5 over a PC for the majority of people, simplicity. Drivers, OS updates, and all sort of things can often break a game outright. Not to mention, I still game a lot on my Xbox simply because that is where my friends are. Sure, solo games are fun and all, but there is something to be said about getting 4 or 5 of your best friends and playing until 3am...

Nascar24 Apr 7, 2020 03:53 PM

PS5 Controller

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020...playstation-5/

SubCog Apr 7, 2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay20016 (Post 1338183515)
I honestly don't think that the PS5's big new SSD tech is going to be all that game changing or even noticeable on something other than their exclusives. If it is cross platform game, I doubt that most developers are going to design for two separate systems vs. go with the lowest common denominator, which is still a HUGE increase over previous gen.

SubCog Apr 7, 2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338186551)

Neat-o. Honestly I keep waiting for console makers to say "no new controllers this time, as the previous ones were basically perfect." Honestly I think we've been getting diminishing returns on controllers since the PS3/xbox360 era.

Nascar24 Apr 7, 2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338186560)
Neat-o. Honestly I keep waiting for console makers to say "no new controllers this time, as the previous ones were basically perfect." Honestly I think we've been getting diminishing returns on controllers since the PS3/xbox360 era.

I don’t agree with this, they keep adding stuff such as back side buttons and better feed back such as this new controller for the PS5, this is probably the biggest change I have seen from Sony on their controller looking at all their years past versions. I’m honestly surprised they don’t appear to have added buttons to the back at least natively.

OverclockN' Apr 7, 2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338186562)
I donít agree with this, they keep adding stuff such as back side buttons and better feed back such as this new controller for the PS5, this is probably the biggest change I have seen from Sony on their controller looking at all their years past versions. Iím honestly surprised they donít appear to have added buttons to the back at least natively.

Agreed. I like how they keep moving forward. It doesn't need to be revolutionary, incremental steps are just fine.

MyTMouse Apr 8, 2020 11:30 AM

I think the controller looks ugly but everyone always has different tastes.

It does look more comfortable and I'm surprised that Sony, who isn't exactly known for being creative with their console names and controller iterations, gave their controller a new game (gasp) and a different shape.

I cannot stand the ergonomics of DualShock controllers and while this looks more comfortable there are a few things that I detest about it (new controller)

1) Built-in battery - sorry but rechargeable AA batteries will destroy this thing in terms on battery life, useable time and charge cycles, and convenience. I hear this has fast charging and that will just reduce the lifespan of the lithium batteries even more.

2) The Dpad and Left stick NEED TO BE SWAPPED. That style is just stupid

Jay20016 Apr 8, 2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyTMouse (Post 1338186743)
I think the controller looks ugly but everyone always has different tastes.

It does look more comfortable and I'm surprised that Sony, who isn't exactly known for being creative with their console names and controller iterations, gave their controller a new game (gasp) and a different shape.

I cannot stand the ergonomics of DualShock controllers and while this looks more comfortable there are a few things that I detest about it (new controller)

1) Built-in battery - sorry but rechargeable AA batteries will destroy this thing in terms on battery life, useable time and charge cycles, and convenience. I hear this has fast charging and that will just reduce the lifespan of the lithium batteries even more.

2) The Dpad and Left stick NEED TO BE SWAPPED. That style is just stupid

:yes:

The XBox way is just sooooooooo much more comfortable in my hands because with the PS4 I'm always noticing how it keeps my wrists in an end range motion that limits my play time with it.

I really wish that MS would've added the paddle buttons to theirs because the Elite controller is probably the best one I've ever used.

Kain Apr 8, 2020 02:58 PM

OverclockN' Apr 8, 2020 05:01 PM

Agreed with everyone above, the PS4 controller ergonomics aren't great. I use the Xbox One gamepad for PC and it's fantastic. Well...as fantastic as aiming with a controller can be. ;)

Dave Apr 12, 2020 06:42 AM

I have large hands and I find extended play sessions on the PS4 are painful. Looks like I’ll be waiting for a third-party controller with the PS5, won’t stop me from buying at launch.

logical Apr 13, 2020 02:05 PM

Show me what the system looks like. :D

Meteor_of_War Apr 13, 2020 02:53 PM

I'm surprised to see they're using the exact same looking analog sticks. The PS4 controller's analog sticks were pretty bad in that the rubber material could wear away and start to peel after a while. Unless they are using a stronger rubber material, hopefully. If not I will again need to buy aftermarket stick covers.

Other than that, its meh. Another new controller design. I'm sure it will be fine. All the current big name consoles' controller designs are very good. I think we are far past the days of a console releasing with a truly crap controller design (N64, Jaguar, original Xbox, etc).

OverclockN' Apr 13, 2020 06:40 PM

The N64 controller was awesome! :lol:

I mean, it seems silly now, but back then it was great. With the thousands of hours I probably put into my N64 back in the day, I don't think I ever complained about the controller.

Meteor_of_War Apr 13, 2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338187676)

I mean, it seems silly now, but back then it was great. With the thousands of hours I probably put into my N64 back in the day, I don't think I ever complained about the controller.

yeah I guess for the time it was revolutionary. But using it today just sucks.

Kain May 15, 2020 06:04 PM

Do you guys think there will be a PS5 Pro later down the line?

SubCog May 15, 2020 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338187676)

I just learned that you can buy rubber grips for the joycon sticks, and that they also happen to fit on the n64 sticks. That's sweet! I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KAC May 16, 2020 07:02 PM

Seems more and more that it is not a day 1 pickup. :rolleyes:

SD-[Inc] May 18, 2020 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338193794)
Seems more and more that it is not a day 1 pickup. :rolleyes:

Speak in strange riddles, you do.

KAC May 18, 2020 09:15 AM

Lack of game announcements and past history tells me that this is not a console I want on release. Similar to PS4 with only Killzone as the app that I wanted.

SD-[Inc] May 18, 2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338193986)
Lack of game announcements and past history tells me that this is not a console I want on release. Similar to PS4 with only Killzone as the app that I wanted.

There is still plenty of time to wait and see.

MyTMouse May 22, 2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338193986)

If you don't currently own any PS4 games then yah, I can see that. This generation is different as it'll run the current gen games better right out of the gate so you have access to current games in 4k...this makes the software available at launch much more compelling.

Consoles (hardware wise) are at their best performance/dollar at launch..they are the closest to top end tech for a decent price and they don't drop significantly in rice for a long time after launch.

PC hardware, on the other hand, is at it's least performance/dollar at launch because it's at a huge price premium, better tech is always around the corner, and the price (usually) continues to drop after launch

Fuku2 May 22, 2020 11:55 AM

Is it backwards compatible with PS3 game disc

Trunks0 May 22, 2020 12:49 PM

Not likely. All the more reason to keep your PS3 :D

SubCog May 22, 2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuku2 (Post 1338194719)
Is it backwards compatible with PS3 game disc

If bc support becomes a major success factor for xbox, Sony will release bc support for ps1 & 2. Rumor is that they've had PS2 emulation perfected since the PS3, but refuse to roll it out because they like to make you buy HD remakes.

I doubt the PS5 has the horsepower to emulate PS3 well. Maybe the PS6 will be able to?

Some games emulate okay if they don't use the SPUs too much, but those aren't really the games you want to play.

Fuku2 May 23, 2020 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunks0 (Post 1338194726)
Not likely. All the more reason to keep your PS3 :D

I'm worried if mine goes tits up.
For some unknown reason I just haven't played many of the games I have for it and might want to in the future.

I have about 54 physical games (not including box sets) and some digital downloads.