Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Nvidia RTX DLSS/Ray Tracing Discussion (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34049038)

Exposed Mar 10, 2020 08:31 PM

That's a 50% lucky guess :lol:

OverclockN' Mar 10, 2020 11:33 PM

Looks to me like

DLSS
DLSS

The washed out DLSS image is easy to pick out. I could be wrong, and it's nice they are close enough you have inspect it like that. But it seems the DLSS image is too saturated, like someone has the gamma too high.

Cream Mar 11, 2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1338180515)
That's a 50% lucky guess :lol:

:)

I guess the point is there is very little difference, which is good.

Exposed Mar 15, 2020 05:38 PM

The few that replied are partially correct, but won't reveal just yet, this is too fun. It's very different when you don't know which, whether consciously or subconsciously people will tend to scrape up flaws (which may or may not actually exist) to stand by a belief that one image should always be inferior to another. I almost thought about labeling them from the getgo, except calling the 4k image the DLSS one and the DLSS image the 4k one and sit back and read the comments and then reveal after everyone said their fill. :lol:

But, one thing that needs to be realized though in these screenshots is you're seeing effects and performance not possible on a 1080Ti at 4k. You're not gonna get those ray traced store front window reflections in Youngblood for example. Or consistent performance for constant 60fps gameplay unless you start turning down settings. So the entire point of DLSS is to give cards that have the ability to gain back that performance, at either negligible or equivalent IQ, with stuff like ray tracing enabled. Deliver us the moon uses a TON of ray traced effects including global illumination (noticeable on the lunar surface) and reflections (better than Battlefield 5 reflections) throughout the outpost. Performance with these on at 4k is crushing. DLSS is not meant replace native 4k, but give you an option to run it. Keep that in mind when comparing DLSS to native, especially when you don't have the hardware to run these games at those settings and resolutions in the first place.

That being said, here's another set of screenshots from Deliver Us the Moon:

OverclockN' Mar 15, 2020 08:26 PM

If a few of us were wrong already, I think the point was proven. We don't need to keep guessing. :p

Kain Mar 17, 2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1338181689)
The few that replied are partially correct, but won't reveal just yet, this is too fun. It's very different when you don't know which, whether consciously or subconsciously people will tend to scrape up flaws (which may or may not actually exist) to stand by a belief that one image should always be inferior to another. I almost thought about labeling them from the getgo, except calling the 4k image the DLSS one and the DLSS image the 4k one and sit back and read the comments and then reveal after everyone said their fill. :lol:

But, one thing that needs to be realized though in these screenshots is you're seeing effects and performance not possible on a 1080Ti at 4k. You're not gonna get those ray traced store front window reflections in Youngblood for example. Or consistent performance for constant 60fps gameplay unless you start turning down settings. So the entire point of DLSS is to give cards that have the ability to gain back that performance, at either negligible or equivalent IQ, with stuff like ray tracing enabled. Deliver us the moon uses a TON of ray traced effects including global illumination (noticeable on the lunar surface) and reflections (better than Battlefield 5 reflections) throughout the outpost. Performance with these on at 4k is crushing. DLSS is not meant replace native 4k, but give you an option to run it. Keep that in mind when comparing DLSS to native, especially when you don't have the hardware to run these games at those settings and resolutions in the first place.

That being said, here's another set of screenshots from Deliver Us the Moon:

I think the list of names on the electronic panel(?) next the door under "Sleep Quarters" gives this one away.

Exposed Mar 17, 2020 05:16 PM

I noticed that too. I had to double check to make sure I had the right settings. Which one do you think that one is?

Kain Mar 17, 2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1338182143)
I noticed that too. I had to double check to make sure I had the right settings. Which one do you think that one is?

Guessing that the second screenshot is DLSS.

Exposed Mar 17, 2020 05:51 PM

That one is native, the top one is dlss. I went back in game to double check. Native 4k with TAA high doesn't show the panel names as clearly as DLSS 4k. You get some of the clarity back with native 4k no AA but then it's a jagged, shimmery eyesore, and the names still aren't as crisp/readable as the DLSS shot. This is probably similar to the radar monitor in youngblood, one of those cases where DLSS gives better than native output. I would say this is a good example of AI doing its job well, not simply a sharpening filter.

Kain Mar 17, 2020 06:34 PM

Interesting. :up:

Cream Mar 17, 2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1338182146)
That one is native, the top one is dlss. I went back in game to double check. Native 4k with TAA high doesn't show the panel names as clearly as DLSS 4k. You get some of the clarity back with native 4k no AA but then it's a jagged, shimmery eyesore, and the names still aren't as crisp/readable as the DLSS shot. This is probably similar to the radar monitor in youngblood, one of those cases where DLSS gives better than native output. I would say this is a good example of AI doing its job well, not simply a sharpening filter.

WOW...…….

bill dennison Mar 18, 2020 12:32 AM

Quote:

Vulkan API Now Supports Ray Tracing, Built Upon NVIDIA’s RTX – Industry’s First Open, Cross-Vendor & Cross-Platform Ray Tracing Standard
Quote:

NVIDIA - “NVIDIA ships beta drivers today with support for the provisional standardized ray tracing functionality in Vulkan,” said Morgan McGuire, research director at NVIDIA. “Bringing accelerated ray tracing to the Vulkan cross-platform, open standard API is another significant step towards enabling the highest quality of visual realism for real-time games and applications everywhere.”

AMD - "Standardizing ray tracing in Vulkan is an important step towards making ray tracing available across a wide range of devices, as well as enabling developers to use this technology to its full advantage. AMD intends to provide support for all of the major features in this extension, including ray shading, ray queries, and CPU acceleration structure management. We will be working with developers to ensure great performance from our Vulkan Ray Tracing implementation; these efforts will help us to provide end-users with even more visually stunning graphics on AMD Radeon™ GPUs,” said Andrej Zdravkovic, senior vice president, software development, AMD.
:cool:
https://wccftech.com/khronos-group-v...vidia-rtx-dna/

acroig Mar 18, 2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338182180)

At some point Doom will get it.

zzz1 Mar 18, 2020 11:35 AM

1 DLSS
2 4k
3 4k
4 DLSS

acroig Mar 18, 2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzz1 (Post 1338182247)
1 DLSS
2 4k
3 4k
4 DLSS

Dude you must be the ultimate lurker here! 16 posts in 14 years? :eek:

Exposed Mar 18, 2020 11:57 AM

My guess it's a sock account (someone's alt). :lol:

zzz1 Mar 20, 2020 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338182251)
Dude you must be the ultimate lurker here! 16 posts in 14 years? :eek:

I guess you could say that :lol: I visit these forums from time to time, usually the PC gaming sub, to see which games would be fun to play. Unfortunately, I usually don't have time to actually play them, so I don't have much to say about them :cry: :lol:

@Exposed Actually, it's my main and the only account here. :p

acroig Mar 20, 2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzz1 (Post 1338182709)
I guess you could say that :lol: I visit these forums from time to time, usually the PC gaming sub, to see which games would be fun to play. Unfortunately, I usually don't have time to actually play them, so I don't have much to say about them :cry: :lol:

@Exposed Actually, it's my main and the only account here. :p

Well join us more often then! :)

Cynicalking Mar 23, 2020 10:37 PM

Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries got DLSS 2.0 today. Control will get updated on March 26, when the first expansion launches.

Seyiji Mar 24, 2020 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynicalking (Post 1338183670)
Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries got DLSS 2.0 today. Control will get updated on March 26, when the first expansion launches.

Nice to see the old broke bitch method is getting replaced :up:

Exposed Mar 24, 2020 09:08 AM

Too bad Mechwarrior 5 is a shitty game, like Youngblood.

Seyiji Mar 24, 2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1338183737)
Too bad Mechwarrior 5 is a shitty game, like Youngblood.

Any hole is a goal?

Cynicalking Mar 25, 2020 10:43 AM

Control's patch is up. Will post impressions later, takes a while to download with my **** internet.

acroig Mar 25, 2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynicalking (Post 1338183991)
Control's patch is up. Will post impressions later, takes a while to download with my **** internet.

Cool, I'll do as well, thanks.

Exposed Mar 25, 2020 11:07 AM

Nobody has mechwarrior 5?

acroig Mar 25, 2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1338183998)

I don't. Deliver Us The Moon looks awesome.

Jaillum Malord Mar 26, 2020 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynicalking (Post 1338183991)

The updated DLSS is very impressive on 1080p upscaled to 4K....eye poppingly so!

Higgy10 Mar 26, 2020 07:06 AM

Quote:

ya but like you said, the game sucks

Exposed Mar 26, 2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgy10 (Post 1338184187)
ya but like you said, the game sucks

Damn. I might get it when it's super cheap or if it goes on xbox game pass.

Destroy Mar 26, 2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Nah. Waiting for it to be on Steam and cheap; its not as good as it should of been.