Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   AMD Radeon Discussion and Support (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Announcemnt, & Talking about, FSR Thread (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34052720)

Gandalfthewhite Jun 1, 2021 12:00 AM

Announcemnt, & Talking about, FSR Thread
 
AMD dropping the hammer with support for everything back to rx500 series to now and AND Nvidia 1xxx series to now. As well as consoles this is big news. 10 developers / engines on board right now with more to come.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-fide...d-geforce-gpus

O.D. Jun 1, 2021 02:20 AM

Those are very impressive numbers they are marketing.

I hope it is true..... does anyone think it will be that close?

I would assume the example they give (God fall) is their best one, anyone have ideas or thoughts on what will be the average increase?

I am not familiar enough with DLSS numbers, how do these numbers compare?

In terms of image quality, the link also claims 'almost identical' image to the native 4k one (i assume at the ultra setting.... not sure on the other options). Is that similar for DLSS?

on a scale of 1 to 10 how true do you feel this announcement is?

Trunks0 Jun 1, 2021 03:39 AM



I remain skeptical. But the wide support going way back is uber sweet.

Hardwood Jun 1, 2021 07:28 AM

Just to get this straight. This is to be baked into games and will not be a "Radeon Settings" option.. right?

acroig Jun 1, 2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite (Post 1338288029)
AMD dropping the hammer with support for everything back to rx500 series to now and AND Nvidia 1xxx series to now. As well as consoles this is big news. 10 developers / engines on board right now with more to come.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-fide...d-geforce-gpus

This is awesome news, TY.

Sabadin Jun 1, 2021 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwood (Post 1338288062)
Just to get this straight. This is to be baked into games and will not be a "Radeon Settings" option.. right?

I haven't read anything yet on where the control over the quality settings will be located, but given that it supports GTX and RTX cards it's a safe bet it won't be a "Radeon Settings" option.

Exposed Jun 1, 2021 08:16 AM




HU seems a bit sceptical if it will actually be competitive to DLSS 2.0


So far, from AMDs own slide, looks more like DLSS 1.0.


It's welcome especially to non RTX owners, but a software scalar likely won't ever give the same kind of qualitive output as an AI trained hardware scalar can do.

acroig Jun 1, 2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1338288070)
It's welcome especially to non RTX owners, but a software scalar likely won't ever give the same kind of qualitive output as an AI trained hardware scalar can do.

Yeah but at this point it makes RT feasible on Radeon cards without the huge FPS hit.

SIrPauly Jun 1, 2021 09:53 AM

Very smart showcasing on a Gtx 1060.

Gandalfthewhite Jun 1, 2021 11:06 AM

From what people are saying via leaks it's in-between dlss 1 and dlss 2 but way easier to implement and with such broad support seems like it will be a way easier sell for implementation.

I view it as the new freesync vs gysnc and we all see how that went.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Nunz Jun 1, 2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite (Post 1338288090)
F.
I view it as the new freesync vs gysnc and we all see how that went.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

How has that gone? GSync hardware modules are still superior to FreeSync and monitors with those modules still sell extremely well with a price mark-up.

Gandalfthewhite Jun 1, 2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338288094)
How has that gone? GSync hardware modules are still superior to FreeSync and monitors with those modules still sell extremely well with a price mark-up.

Given at this time there are around 91 actual gsync monitors vs the hundreds of freesync monitors and that Nvidia has had to target marketing at gsync compatible to actually be relevant. And that now with HDMI 2.1 starting to pick up steam pushing it further out of that market . Sure it may be the " better" solution but it lost the war.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Mangler Jun 1, 2021 11:52 AM

Many of those hundreds of monitors are literally trash though.

Freesync premium/premium pro monitors are fine, but anything predating that isn't even remotely comparable to gsync monitors in terms of quality standards.

Trunks0 Jun 1, 2021 12:02 PM

Drop the analogy and if you want to have a feesync/gsync debate, create a new thread please.


**Further comments on the feesync/gsync debate will be deleted from this thread**

Hapatingjaky Jun 1, 2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunks0 (Post 1338288104)
Drop the analogy and if you want to have a feesync/gsync debate, create a new thread please.


**Further comments on the feesync/gsync debate will be deleted from this thread**

What about Vsync, Adaptive Sync?

Trunks0 Jun 1, 2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky (Post 1338288124)
What about Vsync, Adaptive Sync?


Gandalfthewhite Jun 1, 2021 02:10 PM

anyway the other news going around is that it looks better than TAA performs better than TAA and is easier to implement than dlss and works on the last 5 years of GPUs from AMD and Nvidia if they decide to use it. AND supports both PS5 and Xbox series S/X.


I have a feeling the new UE5 Temporal reconstruction stuff is actually based on or the foundation for FSR.

Trunks0 Jun 1, 2021 02:25 PM

I'm pretty excited it works on GCN, because my R9 Fury is GCN and this could potentially help me wait out the current supply/demand and pricing issues with GPU's. Assuming it will work on my R9 Fury. At the moment, they just say as far back as RX500 series. But CGN never really changed much feature wise.... going to be interesting :)

*late edits!*
Oh and if it gets implemented on anything I play of course.

NIGELG Jun 1, 2021 07:38 PM

Bring it on, AMD.

And it's not proprietary.Good.

bill dennison Jun 1, 2021 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIrPauly (Post 1338288082)
Very smart showcasing on a Gtx 1060.

:lol:

i think i can hear the grinding of the jacket's teeth from here

demo Jun 2, 2021 12:57 AM

Great news, at least we can compare it to DLSS if both are supported.

Trunks0 Jun 2, 2021 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338288293)
:lol:

i think i can hear the grinding of the jacket's teeth from here

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338288305)
Great news, at least we can compare it to DLSS if both are supported.

If nVidia really wanted to... They can open DLSS up to work without the tensor cores... They choose not to.

Look no further than Control. The DLSS in that game launched with shader based DLSS and was later patched to DLSS 2.0 and switched to using the tensor cores.

demo Jun 2, 2021 01:49 AM

I was under the impression moving to tensor cores gave IQ and performance advantages under 2.0+, so I wouldn't consider that a negative.

Trunks0 Jun 2, 2021 01:57 AM

It would still give a performance boost. The image quality would be the same, it just may not be as performant

demo Jun 2, 2021 02:01 AM

IQ advantages in the sense it can run more complex AI algorithms for better reconstruction - sure, at better performance.

SirBaron Jun 2, 2021 03:52 AM

Was expecting more, but it has terrible image quality from what they showed. It's just basic upacaling, hell those. On console side will be most. Disappointed they were hoping for a dlss to boost those performances.

However what they have now is already as good if not better.

At least 3D Cache on zen3+ looks good.

Hopefully AMD works on this more and put some actual money into a dlss competitor.

Nascar24 Jun 2, 2021 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338288293)
:lol:

i think i can hear the grinding of the jacket's teeth from here

Stop it Billy, you dont like DLSS 2, how in the world would you like this?:confused:

bill dennison Jun 2, 2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338288381)
Stop it Billy, you dont like DLSS 2, how in the world would you like this?:confused:

i don't and have said i think it is not good for 4k IQ AMD or NV

but i just love that AMD's works on more NV and older hardware ( Pascal maybe more ) than NVidia's own DLSS does :lol: :p
plus the game consoles


AMD will catch up to NV quickly in IQ and then NV's dlss will be dead because it only works on RTX cards

acroig Jun 2, 2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338288393)
AMD will catch up to NV quickly in IQ and then NV's dlss will be dead because it only works on RTX cards

Sad part is nV could expand DLSS to other gen cards using shader cores but......

Nunz Jun 2, 2021 11:44 AM

That’s a classic Bill opinion thinking AMD will equal NV’s DLSS “quickly” .. I don’t see that happening, at least for a while.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright 1998-2011 Rage3D.com