Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   AMD Radeon Discussion and Support (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   RDNA 3 Rumor Discussion (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34052049)

Nascar24 Jan 3, 2021 06:09 PM

With the low amount of 6K cards out there the jacket made the right choice going with Samsung, who cares if itís better but canít buy a card. The 6K series are far more vapor ware then the 3k series.

bill dennison Jan 3, 2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338257679)
With the low amount of 6K cards out there the jacket made the right choice going with Samsung, who cares if it’s better but can’t buy a card. The 6K series are far more vapor ware then the 3k series.

but the infinity cache kills the 6000's for mining and the 3080 is the top mining card on the market now

you won't see a 3080 at MSRP till Bitcoin crashes again it is the 1080 ti again only worse

my 1080 ti Strix went from 779.99 to 1600 bucks 3 weeks after i got it and stayed that way almost till the 2080 ti came out

NV sold a crap ton of 1080 ti's directly to miners
is it odd that the 3080 does so well at mining and is nowhere to be seen but ebay and mining :hmm:

remember

Quote:

Nvidia Disguised $1B in ‘Fickle’ Crypto Mining Sales as Gaming Revenue, Lawsuit Claims
https://www.coindesk.com/nvidia-disg...evenue-lawsuit

even with low volume the 6000's may be easer to find in a few months

Nunz Jan 3, 2021 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338257677)
sorry ampere would have been killer on TSMC lower watts and higher OC
and no mater what it won't on Samsung ever .

and with crapcoin at 33k+ and rising and it doing well mining Samsung will never make enough now

I don't see Samsung 5nm being much better. Their 8nm process is already incredibly inefficient with low yield; there is little chance their 5nm fares much better.

Regardless of what the card would be like on TSMC, at least you can actually get one. Granted it's a pain in the ass, but I'm regularly seeing stock drop. If the option is either a Samsung 8nm with minimal stock vs a TSMC 7nm with no stock (because they're letting consoles eat up all supply) then I'll take the 8nm card every day.

TSMC is completely swamped. This is the issue when you allow one manufacturing company essentially monopolize the market. As much as you all hate Intel, they at least were superior and created competition in that industry. Now you have Samsung who is miles behind, and an Intel that people chastise for 14nm+800, even though the density of their 14nm is really not comparable to what that 14nm started out with. It's an issue blown out of proportion by the market. Honestly unless Intel can get their fabrication back in shape, the industry will be completely ****ed and overpriced because TSMC will have their entire hands wrapped around every single chip maker in the market.

If you think cards were expensive this year, just wait. TSMC is already price-gouging for their 7nm; if things continue on this path, and you thought cards were expensive this year? :lol: you're in for a rude awakening.

acroig Jan 4, 2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338257677)
sorry ampere would have been killer on TSMC lower watts and higher OC
and no mater what it won't on Samsung ever .

and with crapcoin at 33k+ and rising and it doing well mining Samsung will never make enough now

Possibly yes but you have not addressed TSMC being up to capacity.

bill dennison Jan 4, 2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338257833)
Possibly yes but you have not addressed TSMC being up to capacity.

doesn't fly .

they had their normal slot and capacity reserved at TSMC till they started playing we want a better price because we are big bad NVidia games

and big bad TSMC told them to go get stuffed " so you don't want it ok we just sold it to AMD .... bye bye " :lol:

with their normal slot and capacity and TSMC much better yields they might have been the same or better

acroig Jan 4, 2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338257838)
doesn't fly .

they had their normal slot and capacity reserved at TSMC till they started playing we want a better price because we are big bad NVidia games

and big bad TSMC told them to go get stuffed " so you don't want it ok we just sold it to AMD .... bye bye " :lol:

with their normal slot and capacity and TSMC much better yields they might have been the same or better

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338257685)
I don't see Samsung 5nm being much better. Their 8nm process is already incredibly inefficient with low yield; there is little chance their 5nm fares much better.

Regardless of what the card would be like on TSMC, at least you can actually get one. Granted it's a pain in the ass, but I'm regularly seeing stock drop. If the option is either a Samsung 8nm with minimal stock vs a TSMC 7nm with no stock (because they're letting consoles eat up all supply) then I'll take the 8nm card every day.

TSMC is completely swamped. This is the issue when you allow one manufacturing company essentially monopolize the market. As much as you all hate Intel, they at least were superior and created competition in that industry. Now you have Samsung who is miles behind, and an Intel that people chastise for 14nm+800, even though the density of their 14nm is really not comparable to what that 14nm started out with. It's an issue blown out of proportion by the market. Honestly unless Intel can get their fabrication back in shape, the industry will be completely ****ed and overpriced because TSMC will have their entire hands wrapped around every single chip maker in the market.

If you think cards were expensive this year, just wait. TSMC is already price-gouging for their 7nm; if things continue on this path, and you thought cards were expensive this year? :lol: you're in for a rude awakening.

What Nunz said is spot on IMHO.

bill dennison Jan 4, 2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338257840)
What Nunz said is spot on IMHO.

no

the cards weren't expensive this time that was last time and turing was 12nm

AMD seems to be doing fine with 7nm prices on a lot more parts for a lot longer

no NV screwed the pooch with TSMC and maybe for a long time because the jacket wanted a higher profit margin not for card prices .

Quote:

AMD Radeon Navi 21 XTXH Variant Spotted, Another Flagship Graphics Card Incoming?
https://www.techpowerup.com/276747/a...-card-incoming

Gandalfthewhite Jan 4, 2021 12:53 PM

Countries are starting to be more and more concerned about hardware level security and we are starting to see plans to invest large amounts of capital into chip manufacturing research to be able to compete with the likes of TSMC so shorty term TSMC may be ahead but we could start seeing state level competition within the next decade.

bill dennison Jan 4, 2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite (Post 1338257861)
Countries are starting to be more and more concerned about hardware level security and we are starting to see plans to invest large amounts of capital into chip manufacturing research to be able to compete with the likes of TSMC so shorty term TSMC may be ahead but we could start seeing state level competition within the next decade.

well they are putting a tsmc fab in arizona

they say 2024 it should go online

Gandalfthewhite Jan 4, 2021 03:17 PM

I was talking more about the EU and China. US technically has Intel and are putting up foreign businesses plants in their borders we will see how that goes. Hopefully it is not another foxconn

LordHawkwind Jan 4, 2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338257838)
doesn't fly .

That's really worked out well for for Radeon 6xxx cards hasn't it. Not. Still MIA so where are they :lol:

Trunks0 Jan 4, 2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordHawkwind (Post 1338257926)
That's really worked out well for for Radeon 6xxx cards hasn't it. Not. Still MIA so where are they :lol:

Not MIA, just not widely available. Which is par for the course given when they launched and current world wide madness.

SuperGeil Jan 4, 2021 06:54 PM

Zen 3 is becoming more and more available, easier to pick up. Radeon will catch up I assume next month.

LordHawkwind Jan 5, 2021 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperGeil (Post 1338257956)
Zen 3 is becoming more and more available, easier to pick up. Radeon will catch up I assume next month.

Agree I've just looked on a few sites and the 5600X especially is readily available. A bit over MSRP but that's to be expected in this market. I just bought a 3800X so not looking to upgrade for a couple of years or wait for 5800X to drop to close to £300 if Zen 4 comes out next year on new AM5 platform. No big rush as I'm not CPU bound anyway.

With regards to the RTX 3xxx and Radeon 6xxx can't see supply improving in the too distant future. UK back in lock down so scalpers will still be a thing for the time being I'm afraid. Sad.

caveman-jim Jan 6, 2021 10:26 PM

Longer supply chain for GPUs vs CPUs means it takes longer to ramp

SuperGeil Jan 23, 2021 11:07 AM

Navi 31 is a dual 80 CU chiplet

Leprechaun Jan 23, 2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338257864)
well they are putting a tsmc fab in arizona

they say 2024 it should go online

I always wondered about this since the first day I heard about it. What are the prices on hardware going to be like from the Arizona fab? Will it even be competitive?

bill dennison Jan 23, 2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leprechaun (Post 1338263050)
I always wondered about this since the first day I heard about it. What are the prices on hardware going to be like from the Arizona fab? Will it even be competitive?

there are already a number of Intel Fab's and others here

i worked on the Intel one in Queen Creek AZ

https://www.chipsetc.com/semiconductors-in-arizona.html

LordHawkwind Jan 23, 2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperGeil (Post 1338263045)

Quote from the article.."AMD has never confirmed when exactly could RDNA 3 architecture be announced, but based on the roadmaps, AMD is expected to talk about the architecture by 2022. It would appear that AMD might lift a curtain on RDNA3 somewhere later this year."

Q3/4 2022 maybe. Maybe a RDNA2 refresh in between who knows or just the usual 2 year upgrade cycle.

bill dennison Jan 23, 2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordHawkwind (Post 1338263085)
Quote from the article.."AMD has never confirmed when exactly could RDNA 3 architecture be announced, but based on the roadmaps, AMD is expected to talk about the architecture by 2022. It would appear that AMD might lift a curtain on RDNA3 somewhere later this year."

Q3/4 2022 maybe. Maybe a RDNA2 refresh in between who knows or just the usual 2 year upgrade cycle.

AMD doesn't do refreshes like NV
they will do a rehash of RDNA 2 cards as lower end mid range sku's after RDNA 3 comes out ( same cards with new numbers ) maybe on 5nm but most likely still on 7nm

and they have hit their release dates on the roadmaps for years on CPU's and GPU's and i think they will hit RDNA 3 by the end of the year before 2022

vega 7 release date = February 7, 2019

5700 xt release date = July 7, 2019

6800 xt release date = November 18, 2020

what usual 2 year upgrade cycle NV is on that not AMD

maybe Q1 at latest with the virus but i would not bet against them hitting December this year

and i bet the jacket isn't either

pax Jan 23, 2021 03:04 PM

Ya this 2 year wait idea is nonsense. They will release along the same schedule as RTX 4k.

Most impressive if true...

LordHawkwind Jan 23, 2021 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338263090)
AMD doesn't do refreshes like NV
they will do a rehash of RDNA 2 cards as lower end mid range sku's after RDNA 3 comes out ( same cards with new numbers ) maybe on 5nm but most likely still on 7nm

and they have hit their release dates on the roadmaps for years on CPU's and GPU's and i think they will hit RDNA 3 by the end of the year before 2022

vega 7 release date = February 7, 2019

5700 xt release date = July 7, 2019

6800 xt release date = November 18, 2020

what usual 2 year upgrade cycle NV is on that not AMD

maybe Q1 at latest with the virus but i would not bet against them hitting December this year

and i bet the jacket isn't either

Vega VII was never on any roadmap they were failed Instinct cards that because of the crazy hike in prices of the RTX20 series AMD released them with very limited supply.

The 6800XT is not a replacement of the 5700XT the 6700XT will be. That's now not slated to launch until end of H1 2021 which if July or later 2021 is a two year gap.

The 5700XT replaced Vega 64 which was launched in August 2017. Another two year gap. Vega 64 replaced the Fury card which was launched June 2015.
FFS I bought Fury, Vega 64 and 5700XT and it was a two year upgrade cycle which at the time suited me fine.

The 6800/6900XT are a segment above what AMD have had in the last decade so aren't a replacement for anything previously released. They're brand new. The 7800/7900 RDNA3 will replace them and if that's Q3 2022 I think that would be more than a coincidence.

SuperGeil Jan 23, 2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordHawkwind (Post 1338263109)
The 6800XT is not a replacement of the 5700XT the 6700XT will be.

:lol: stop, that makes no sense. It was their acting high end, and now that is 6800XT. If they wanted to release the 6700XT first, they would have focused on that.

SIrPauly Jan 23, 2021 04:34 PM

Semantics again. The context was clearly price point.

SuperGeil Jan 23, 2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIrPauly (Post 1338263112)
Semantics again. The context was clearly price point.

The context is release schedules of a new architecture. Price point has nothing to do with this. The 5700XT was the RDNA high end and the 6800XT is the RNDA2 high end.

SIrPauly Jan 23, 2021 04:42 PM

The 6900xt is the highend.

SuperGeil Jan 23, 2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIrPauly (Post 1338263115)
The 6900xt is the highend.

Just scratch high-end. Just think architecture.
When did RDNA come out and when did RDNA2 come out?

Leprechaun Jan 23, 2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338263063)
there are already a number of Intel Fab's and others here

i worked on the Intel one in Queen Creek AZ

https://www.chipsetc.com/semiconductors-in-arizona.html

Good to hear. I wonder if they'll slap on even bigger tarrifs on anything from China thus the ones from Arizona end up looking cheaper.

LordHawkwind Jan 23, 2021 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperGeil (Post 1338263110)
:lol: stop, that makes no sense. It was their acting high end, and now that is 6800XT. If they wanted to release the 6700XT first, they would have focused on that.

Supergeil whilst the 5700XT was a "high end" AMD card it was basically a mid range card when you took Nvidia cards into account.

That card was never meant to compete against Nvidia's enthusiast card the 2080ti, the 5700XT competed against the 2070/Super which was Nvidia's mid range card.

The MSRP of the 6800XT is £649 so about 50% more expensive than a 5700XT. The 6800XT competes against the 3080 which is one of Nvidia's enthusiast cards and the MSRP of the 3080 is £649.

AMD released the 6800XT/6900XT to compete in the enthusiast segment against the 3080/3090 which is the first time they've done that in over a decade.

bill dennison Jan 23, 2021 06:05 PM

the 6800 xt will be the 7570 xt
in a year after the 7800 xt comes out