Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Operating Systems (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Installing Win11 now... (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34052840)

KAC Jan 5, 2022 10:13 PM

If you have insider program you should be fine. What I don’t know yet is if the Nov 14 update made the normal slow updates as well. Problem with Windows 10 is that it didn’t make the Windows 10 and I had been having random reboots after 3 or 5 or 7 days without an explanation. On search it seems it happens when you downgrade back to Windows 10 and TPM is enabled or was happening on Windows 11 without the dev build update. I didn’t check if dev build is now the final build as well.

If you are not having the error then more power to you. Also might be a 5000 series only issue? What do you know? It’s AMD so chances of getting something ****ed up are very high anyways. :bleh:

KAC Jan 8, 2022 01:41 AM

Taking another leap on this windows 11 bullshits on my AMD PC. :mad:

Riptide Jan 8, 2022 10:00 AM

Been on windows 11 for a few weeks now. So far few complaints. Had to move the start button over to the bottom left and make a few other UI customizations to make it usable. Been pretty stable though.

The dock being centered in the middle makes more sense to me on a Mac since you don't have the start button in the first place. Windows having the start button down there - just doesn't seem to work well to me. This is why the majority of people seem to be moving it back where it belongs straight away.

Lazy8s Jan 8, 2022 10:32 AM

I’m still on the upgrade I did back in Nov (R7 5800H) with no issues at all.

I do prefer the Win 10 start menu, but I don’t want to install a 3rd party app to have it….that’s the extent of any complaints I have though.

Munkus Jan 8, 2022 11:20 AM

I've been on Win11 since release. I'm also in the Insider Preview beta channel. No crashes or major issues so far. I do still think the UI is half-baked. There are lots of inconsistencies in the context menus, config pages, etc. Plus functionality that used to be there for the Taskbar has been removed, which is annoying. I realize they rewrote the entire Taskbar logic, but Win 10's Taskbar was much more customizable. Time will tell if MS homogenizes the menus & screens, and brings back lost functionality.

Riptide Jan 11, 2022 07:43 AM

Sometimes I think these companies screw with software just to have something to market. They take an idea that was more or less perfected, mess with it in some way, and then say hey look new and shiny. When the reality is the way it has been for months/years was just fine and worked pretty much perfectly.

Trying to improve on something that really doesn't have much room for improvement. Is there any real surprise they screw this up sometimes?

Thr0tt Jan 14, 2022 03:24 AM

Any news on official support for i7 6700k CPU's ?

demo Jan 16, 2022 09:20 PM

Honestly wish they kept win10 UI and menus, and just added the features if win11.

KAC Jan 23, 2022 11:27 AM

Seems this poop is fixed for AMD garbage. No bugs or crashes of TPM or any other shitknuckles after upgrade back to Win 11. So to make sure everyone upgrades, they ensured that Win 10 gets fubared w/ TPM horsepoop.

MS :rolleyes:

lmchv Jan 23, 2022 06:02 PM

I have noticed some slowness to load Win11 apps such as Spotify or Whatsapp (when installed from the MS Store).

When I try to load the app, it takes around 5 seconds to load (with a wireframe of the window loading first), has anyone notice something like this?, this didnt happen before.

Riptide Jan 28, 2022 07:27 AM

I'm having a problem with Windows 11 where it constantly tries to downgrade the AMD graphics driver every time I run Windows Update.

There seems to be no stopping it. I've gone into advanced system settings->system properties->hardware tab->device installation settings->no

Still continues with the same obnoxious behavior. I've basically paused updates now because of this and will have to manually deal with it every time the system eventually updates itself outside of the 5 weeks I have it delayed.

WTF :bleh:

Nunz Jan 28, 2022 08:49 AM

Run DDU and disable the automatic driver update

Riptide Jan 28, 2022 10:18 AM

I'll give DDU a try though that seems ridiculous to be doing that on what amounts to a fresh OS install done barely a month ago now.

As far as turning off the automatic driver update isn't that the setting I already disabled?

RE:
system settings->system properties->hardware tab->device installation settings->no

Meteor_of_War Jan 28, 2022 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riptide (Post 1338325331)
As far as turning off the automatic driver update isn't that the setting I already disabled?

RE:
system settings->system properties->hardware tab->device installation settings->no

At least for Win 10 yes that is the setting to block Win update from installing device drivers.

Maybe something is messed up with it on Win 11?

Nunz Jan 28, 2022 01:44 PM

Good ol' AMD.

Riptide Jan 28, 2022 05:27 PM

I'd blame MS for this before AMD.

Megaman Jan 28, 2022 05:35 PM

Don’t know how wide spread this is but it is starting to surface.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/pr...11-and-10.html

Riptide Jan 29, 2022 07:58 AM

Using the hide updates troubleshooting tool resolved the issue for me. No DDU necessary.

Exposed Jan 31, 2022 05:37 PM

Windows 11 somehow messed up my HDR on my laptop, which I use mainly for Netflix. Going back to Windows 10 for now and wait a bit longer.

Greasy Jan 31, 2022 05:59 PM

From my experience a clean install of win 11 is the way to go.

Megaman Jan 31, 2022 06:25 PM

Does “reset this PC” count as a clean install these days?

KAC Feb 2, 2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaman (Post 1338325677)

Not really in my experience unless you reset with asking it to do a wipe down/format.

demo Feb 3, 2022 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaman (Post 1338325677)

Nah, a fresh install on clean drive. Reset just resets everything to default afaik (and fixes conflicts in the process).

Megaman Feb 3, 2022 04:22 AM

Ok thanks

GSGRUNT Mar 16, 2022 06:23 PM

WTF!
After being an early "insider", today get a unsupported hardware watermark. :lol:

Shadowless Mar 21, 2022 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSGRUNT (Post 1338332133)
WTF!
After being an early "insider", today get a unsupported hardware watermark. :lol:

Interesting. Are you still running the Insider build?

Also, does Win11 still suck ass like it did in November?

Munkus Mar 21, 2022 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1338332655)

I'm running the Insider Beta build on my main system. Runs great.

GSGRUNT Mar 22, 2022 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1338332655)
Interesting. Are you still running the Insider build?

I'm still a "limited insider", just the tip and only for a minute.
It is not clear to me what happened. I wonder why was my hardware okay but now it is not.

I've always liked Win11. Changed behavior of right click in Explorer was my biggest issue.

[edit] looks like TPM2 in the bios got disabled. Not sure how that happened. Full insider now enabled.