Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Motoring (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Offical "Post Random Car Pics" thread (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33944557)

shadow001 Jan 14, 2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1336473407)
It could be a big difference. The right wing can make a HUGE difference on the track when you're at speed. That was definitely proven with the Koenigsegg CCX. I'm interested in what the difference is, I only wish I were more into the R8. I've actually never been a fan of the car. :p

Well,the main effect of the wing is for downforce,wich is only needed in cornering anyhow,and comes at the expense of extra drag,wich affects acceleration and top speeds,even if the car has a 600HP engine,so the usefulness of said large wing will depend a lot on the layout of the track itself...

The track needs a lot of fast corners where the downforce from the wing kicks in to allow higher speeds thru those parts,even if speeds on the straight lines are affected,so i'm not an automatic fan of using the largest possible wing on a car no matter what the circumstances,at least not on aa regular road..

OverclockN' Jan 14, 2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336473414)
Well,the main effect of the wing is for downforce,wich is only needed in cornering anyhow,and comes at the expense of extra drag,wich affects acceleration and top speeds,even if the car has a 600HP engine,so the usefulness of said large wing will depend a lot on the layout of the track itself...

The track needs a lot of fast corners where the downforce from the wing kicks in to allow higher speeds thru those parts,even if speeds on the straight lines are affected,so i'm not an automatic fan of using the largest possible wing on a car no matter what the circumstances,at least not on aa regular road..

A lot of what you just said is pretty basic, common knowledge. I normally take it for granted that people understand basic racing physics and track behavior. I feel like you're trying to be a bit condescending here. :hmm: :lol:

I maintain my position, I'd love to see track results between the two cars. It would definitely be interesting.

shadow001 Jan 14, 2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1336473420)
A lot of what you just said is pretty basic, common knowledge. I normally take it for granted that people understand basic racing physics and track behavior. I feel like you're trying to be a bit condescending here. :hmm: :lol:

I maintain my position, I'd love to see track results between the two cars. It would definitely be interesting.

It wasn't my intention at all,but something i mentioned based on having seen a fair amount of cars on the road over the years,mainly driven by young people,with what can only be described as serious overkill in terms of aerodynamic downforce here,not to mention hideous looking while i'm at it....

As for the track time comparisons,it also depends a lot on the track itself....One might be faster than the other with a given track configuration,and slower with a track that has fewer corners and more straight lines,so even there it works on a case by case basis....

OverclockN' Jan 14, 2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

As for the track time comparisons,it also depends a lot on the track itself....One might be faster than the other with a given track configuration,and slower with a track that has fewer corners and more straight lines,so even there it works on a case by case basis....
True. Definitely the case if it's only a minor 80HP bump over the regular R8. If it's a track with a lot of straights and high speeds, there is no way that extra 80hp is going to overcome the extra drag from the spoiler and other bits.

shadow001 Jan 14, 2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1336473424)
True. Definitely the case if it's only a minor 80HP bump over the regular R8. If it's a track with a lot of straights and high speeds, there is no way that extra 80hp is going to overcome the extra drag from the spoiler and other bits.

As an example,there's the lamborghini Miurcelago SV,wich has a 670HP 6.5 liter V12 engine,and one of the options that the owner can choose from is a larger rear wing that can help with high speed corners,but that large wing in the back also drops top speeds from 212Mph to 206Mph and also affects quarter mile times too...

That particular wing on the lambo is still smaller than what comes with the razor incidendently,and i'm not even considering all the other bits such as the revised extractor and naca ducts,front lower lip and larger openings for the cooling on the razor,so i can only imagine how much harder will the top speed get cut on the razor,given that the engine has less power to boot...It gives the impression that it's set up as a track car first and foremost,and the track in question has to have a lot of turns,so not a drag strip,or an oval,but a proper road course....

ScottDoom Jan 21, 2011 10:37 PM

nrs421 Mar 26, 2011 04:24 PM

ScottDoom Mar 26, 2011 07:37 PM

What is that minivan thing doing in there? :lol:

DorXtar Mar 26, 2011 08:15 PM

It's fancy.

nrs421 Mar 26, 2011 08:58 PM

who knows...it's really quite amazing when you consider each of those exotics costs over a million. (300% tax on cars)

aRandomRobot Mar 28, 2011 01:36 AM

How's this for random?

gamefoo21 Mar 28, 2011 10:36 AM

Needs more wheels!

Is it bad that I've seen that anime? :bleh:

logical Mar 28, 2011 03:01 PM

Looks like a cheshire cat.

**G.I.BRO** Mar 31, 2011 09:41 AM

Was on my way to work this morning and noticed this dudes lic plate... hard to see, sorry, I didnt have much time to set. His plate, Blu Bals... now, IMO i interpret blue balls as being a loser, meaning, being played with but she doesnt finish you off or you cant finish the deal. Why would someone want that as a plate?!

Destroy Mar 31, 2011 10:36 AM

Its a blue Camaro. Maybe they are just trying to say they have a badass car, you know car with a lot of 'balls'.

caveman-jim Mar 31, 2011 11:05 AM

Could be they never get to unleash it, driving it sensibly and considerately so the car is frustrated it never gets to 'finish'

OverclockN' Mar 31, 2011 12:22 PM

While there may be a few things that make sense for that plate, can't help but chuckle a bit when I see it and think there is an unfortunate driver behind the wheel. :lol:

Considering it's alternate meaning to whatever it probably implies...I can't believe anyone would actually use that. :p

**G.I.BRO** Mar 31, 2011 01:27 PM

I guess he's trying to be witty but IMO its so darn stupid.

Elysian Apr 2, 2011 04:14 PM

Car show shaping up outside of the bar I'm watching the Stars game at.

Elysian Apr 2, 2011 04:54 PM

Better shot, sick z06.

OverclockN' Apr 2, 2011 09:52 PM

Looks like a Corvette meet N greet. YUCK! :yell:

Elysian Apr 2, 2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1336543925)
Looks like a Corvette meet N greet. YUCK! :yell:

That was just that row, the rest of the parking lot was Dodge/Chevy/Ford. Lots of American muscle.

OverclockN' Apr 2, 2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1336543944)
That was just that row, the rest of the parking lot was Dodge/Chevy/Ford. Lots of American muscle.

Well, that's not so bad then. All Corvette meets are bloody freakin boring. I avoid them like the plague.

Elysian Apr 2, 2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1336543955)
Well, that's not so bad then. All Corvette meets are bloody freakin boring. I avoid them like the plague.

Literally the only one worth photographing was the z06.

ScottDoom Apr 2, 2011 11:53 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Elysian Apr 3, 2011 02:29 AM

eww

Destroy Apr 3, 2011 08:44 AM

Looks like a pic from GT5 photo mode, heh.

DeathKnight Apr 5, 2011 01:58 PM

Went to Lowes today and saw this ;)

logical Apr 5, 2011 02:06 PM

Parked like a true dickhead.

Elysian Apr 5, 2011 02:38 PM

He needs wider wheels, the back wheels look retarded tucked in the wheel well like that...