Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciTech GLDirect

Okay, I was wondering..

Is there anyone out there with the Rage Pro that uses SciTech GLDirect? Is there a definite improvement on speed, or is it nothing at all?

I remember back in the day about SciTech UniVBE.. hehe - i loved that thing.. And it was good too.. so now i'm wondering about this GLDirect they came out with..

I know i've seen someone in here said they use it.. but i can't reember who..

Thanks to those who reply..
    low yield toner cartridge.

i've been dealing with issues regardint the gld, thing is, it wont work on some ragepro chips, with different sys configs. mostly laptops, and compaq desktops. i've been on the scitech forum about it, and so on. mistyk, grab a copy of my new drivers, or just the openGL ICD from them, it works a lot paster than the old one.
    The sharpest blade cannot compare to the sharpest mind.
    "In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum" -Marshal Mathers.
    -----------------------------------
    Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.9ghz (200x9.5), Alpha Pal8045T heatsink, 512mb PC3200 DDR Ram (400mhz), Geforce 4 ti4600 (yes, i do own you), Audigy X-gamer, Win XPpro, WD caviar 40 gig (uata100), Maxtor 80gig ata133 HD, DVD-RW, 16x48 DVD, all running on a MSI KT3 Ultra ARU, with USB2.0 support and hardware IDE (ata133) raid.

Comment

Which version of GLDirect do you use ? I downloaded 2.0.0 (maybe beta) from Reactor Critical. Most programs run with the CAD driver but I'd like to run Quake3 with the game driver...

Comment

Actually - i'm not using GLDirect.. i was just wondering if it's actually good for something. hehehe..

anyway, LTMan, i was goign to d/l them because i saw that you u/led them yesterday.. i checked freedrive at school today and i saw them... i'll check them out and give you an update on them..

Comment

Try em, tell me what happens.
          Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.9ghz (200x9.5), Alpha Pal8045T heatsink, 512mb PC3200 DDR Ram (400mhz), Geforce 4 ti4600 (yes, i do own you), Audigy X-gamer, Win XPpro, WD caviar 40 gig (uata100), Maxtor 80gig ata133 HD, DVD-RW, 16x48 DVD, all running on a MSI KT3 Ultra ARU, with USB2.0 support and hardware IDE (ata133) raid.

Comment

Tried 'em.
            Err.. sorta worked? =)

Installed.. played half-life.. but didn't see an improvement..
            tried to go to menu.. WhooPS! kicked back to desktop again..

don't know what wrong..

Comment

I tried GLDirect and it was a lot slower than OpenGL or DirectX here. System is P233MMX, 64Mb, Xpert98, Win95a.

Comment

Really? Hmm.. thanks..
                that's what I was wondering about..

I have teh xpert@play (before 98)..

Comment

gld v2 has a game ICD and a work ICD you need to set em up accordingly. if you wanna play, use the game one obviously. the old GLD drivers, version 1something dont have a game ICD and will therefore work horribly for games.

Comment

The game driver doesn't run QuakeIII or Unreal Tournament. The CAD driver does and it's faster than ATI's ICD. Celeron 300A @ 450mhz, AGPx2 @ 100x2mhz, XPERT@PLAY 8MB SGRAM @ 100/110mhz core/memory

Comment

oh, i didnt know that, as i said before, GLD wont run on laptops for some reason, @ least i've never heard of it doing so.

Comment

So if any of us with desktops and with the Rage Pro Turbo chip use GLD.. MOST of us will find a speed increase? how about the graphics? is it good/better than ATi's?

Comment

I dunno how much faster it could be. I have this unpleasant nagging feeling that ATI pushed their last ICD close to the limit of what the chip can do. As for the GLd questions, go to the scitech forum, as em. (it'll take a week for someone to respond tho)

Comment

hEhe.. i just wish i could somehow use those drivers.. oh well.. it seems like from ANY driver update (from like.. shoot, i don't even remember the name anymore) there was barely increases..

hehe - and i know what you mean about the reply.. it takes almost ANY big corporation forever to reply..

Comment

i dunno, the new icd makes the 1079 look like crap.

Comment

hmM.. which file do I copy to use the 1094 icd?.. and what do I rename it to?

Comment

what do you mean?? the 1094 is included in the j5.11s and in the second release of my drivers. in my drivers its called ATOGLRP9.DLL in the j5.11s its called atio9xad.dll. However, if you wanna rip it, you need to check which one you're using. yours may be named either. im not sure which version they changed it @, either the 5.40 or the j5. i need to go back and check my notes, which are on a zip disk somewhere. Anyway, you should only take the ICD from an installed driver. it lookes like the one from the install dir is NOT compiled or something. Its only about 1/3 the size of the one that gets installed. dunno why, maybe it integrates the opengl32.dll into it, no idea. still, take it ICD from a compiled driver.

------------------
                                  -Windows has one evil guy running it, *nixes have lots of evil guys running them.

Comment

Just installed the 1094 driver over the 1085 (5.40). Definitely better. I use Wintune as a benchmark, not for its results but if the OpenGL test works at all then the driver is probably OK. Incidentally, the 1094 driver is atio9xae.dll so it's better to change the name to atio9xad.dll unless you want to modify the registry entry. Also downloaded the SciTech OGL driver again but it's still the old one and not nearly as fast as the ATI driver.

Comment

1085 was never all too good, i prefered 1079 to it, it was faster. As for DGL, i tried it, same thing, doesnt work @ all. It simply reverts to useing the CPU to render everything, and the CPU isnt all that great @ rendering things that should be handled by the 3d accel. maybe when they're out in terrahertz... then, i'll think about dgl, till then, i'll stick with actual hardware accel

------------------
                                      -Windows has one evil guy running it, *nixes have lots of evil guys running them.

Comment

Don't remember 1079. Which release did that come with ? I seem to have a gap between 1076 and 1085.

Comment

You are talking about different versions of of ATI RAGE PRO's OpenGL ICDs. Do you remember when the multitexturing support was added and when it was dropped. The last ICD that I have with multitexturin support was 1073. I still use it for playing QuakeII. But mightbe the multitexturing support was not dropped in the latest ICDs but only disabled. Do you know something about this. Do you know how multitexturing can be enabled ?

Comment

Ok, i've included a feature in my drivers that lets u activate a special advanced config in the display properties... u can turn multi tex on from there. I think that all the OGL ICDs since 1073 have had multi tex in em, it was just disabled.

------------------

Comment

If you don't mind my asking, where are these drivers of yours?

Comment

hmm. good question, i need to re-post the URL of the shared freedrive folder. I'll make a new post of it. Thanks for reminding me.

------------------

Comment

I'm still wondering why my 5.40's came with 1077 oglicd instead of 1079...

anyone else have this?.. or did they already splice/install Rage LT Man's drivers? hehehe..

I found that wierd.. *shrugz*

oh yeah - it's the 5.40 MSCertified.. (filename is something like 540frslot.. or somewhere along the lines of that..)

Comment

Funny - my 5.40 drivers came with 1085. Maybe they updated the OGL driver a few times without touching anything else.

Comment

Bry... thats exactly what i was telling him. Myst, where did you get a 1077 ver in the WHQLs?? i've never even seen such an OGL ver. on the other hand, you always seem to be the odd one out, lol.

Comment

I have no absolute clue! I've never spliced drivers before - and when i checked.. i was like, why the hell do i have the 1077 instead of the 1079?!

It was absolutly wierd..
                                                        and i always do seem to be the odd one..
                                                        the drivers never worked for me.. =P

Comment

Myst, get the final drivs, they should work, even for you. Oh, btw, check the main news page... ur mentioned .

Comment

Working...
                                                          X