Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the default flip queue setting on ATI drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i7-860 @ 4.2Ghz, GB GTX 480 (800/2000), 4GB G.Skill PC3-1600, EVGA P55 LE

Originally posted by dnottis View Post
    3 I think.
    I do work for AMD
    AMD/ATI Beta Tester

Comment

yea 3, you can change it to 0 (recommended) with ati tray tools. It doesnt need to run, just install, run, change the setting and shut it down.

Comment

Originally posted by spyre View Post
        3 I think.
        Originally posted by Conditioned View Post
        yea 3, you can change it to 0 (recommended) with ati tray tools. It doesnt need to run, just install, run, change the setting and shut it down.
        I know this is kind of late, but first, the default is "Undefined" not three, it just usually sits on three. Second don't set it below 1 unless you have to, 0 has higher chance of instability and graphic errors.
        Never put off tomorrow what you can put off today!

Comment

Drivers have a default value hard coded unless the registry alters them which is why you don't need certain keys to be present for them to still work.
          I do work for AMD
          AMD/ATI Beta Tester

Comment

So does anyone know specifically the flip queue BF BC2 uses? The 5870 is so much smoother than a GTX 480 in BF BC2 MP unless we force DX10 and use pre-render fps to 0. Frame rate wise it's alot faster but the 5870 just feels smoother using default settings.

We were trying to see if the flip queue was 0 for the ATI cards in BF BC2 which would make sense.
            i7-860 @ 4.2Ghz, GB GTX 480 (800/2000), 4GB G.Skill PC3-1600, EVGA P55 LE

Comment

It is not, no. For ATi, flip queue is either 3 or more for ATI in BC2 - at least on my HD4890.

I am very very sensitive to mouselag, and at default settings, the game will have a render ahead set to "2".

The lowest you can have this in BC2 is "1", wich you can set in the settings.ini file. This helps alot with mouselag for me, wich would mean the default flip queue for ati is not 0.

If you set this to "0" in settings.ini, it is NOT setting render ahead to "0", but instead sets no limit (or uses ATI default of 3) wich will lead to epic frame skipping and mouselag when fps is high enough.
              ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus

Comment

Originally posted by dnottis View Post
                Default FlipQueueSize is 3.

Comment

Good info, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jackfuste View Post
                    Default FlipQueueSize is 3.
                    What's the name of this tool?

Comment

So what you guys think the flip queue size should be, leave it at default, 1, or just have to try it out different sizes?
                      JOIN #RAGE3D ON GAMESNET! talk, tech support, and to fill the channel!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hippo View Post
                        So what you guys think the flip queue size should be, leave it at default, 1, or just have to try it out different sizes?
                        Well it depends, do you play with vsync? Then it affects mouselag greatly (set it to 0 if fps is higher than monitor Hz, set to 1 if fps is lower than monitor Hz).

If you play without vsync 0 is best to minimize mouselag aswell as frameskipping (e.g. Bad Company 2). But this could come at a big performance hit. At "3" (you need to set it in game file), and with a fast quad core youll get loads of frameskipping aswell as mouselag even if fps is around ~70 (at high settings).

Setting it to 1 improves both mouselag and frameskipping greatly (its not possible to set it to 0 in this game in DX10 mode).
                        ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Lolman View Post
                          What's the name of this tool?
                          It is two different tools, but the one in the foremost view is Ati Tray Tools
                          Never put off tomorrow what you can put off today!

Comment

Working...
                          X