OnePlus 8 - a few questions as a new owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nunz View Post
    Just picked up the OnePlus Buds Z. They're awesome. Grabbing the Watch to accompany my 8T once they release next week. I can't say enough good things about this company. My only concern is that they're starting to have too many products at once. The Nord, the normal phone, the Pro, the eventual "T" model at the end of the year..

Honestly, they'd be good to get rid of the "T" and just focus on updates for their products throughout the year.
    The Bud Z's are great, except that there's an issue with the phone where they cut out horridly if you use any game that runs in "Game mode," just completely drop audio. Really frustrating, can't believe they haven't fixed it yet. The Bud Z's sound fantastic, and work great on any device that's NOT a OnePlus device.

I also intend on getting one of the watches when it launches.
    Originally posted by IamHere
    You guys are closet communists.

Comment

April 14 at 11am EST!

I bought them mainly for working out(running) and on the phone. GF says the voice clarity was perfect, as if I had the phone up to my face. Zero echoing.

Very much like the quality of them.
      Originally posted by curio
      Eat this protein bar, for it is of my body. And drink this creatine shake, for it is my blood.
      "If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Comment

OnePlus is offering me $270 trade-in on my 8T. I would have to find out if there is military discount, but that brings the 9 Pro down to roughly $800. Tempting.
        Eat this protein bar, for it is of my body. And drink this creatine shake, for it is my blood.
        "If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Comment

OnePlus is offering me $270 trade-in on my 8T. I would have to find out if there is military discount, but that brings the 9 Pro down to roughly $800. Tempting.
          Unlocked?

Comment

the new 9 Pro is surprisingly cheap. But hey, even better for people who are in the market for a new one.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

Comment

Still loving my 8T. Yesterday I loaded up the new Crash Bandicoot endless runner just to try it out and holy hell is the 120hz panel on this phone insanely nice for 3d graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Lupine View Post
                Unlocked?
                Yep. Direct from OnePlus.

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
                  Still loving my 8T. Yesterday I loaded up the new Crash Bandicoot endless runner just to try it out and holy hell is the 120hz panel on this phone insanely nice for 3d graphics.
                  yep, but the game bored me to tears, i really dunno what i've expected though

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

Comment

Originally posted by Silent-Runner View Post
                    yep, but the game bored me to tears, i really dunno what i've expected though
                    Yeah I only played the first stage. Not my thing.

Comment

ok, maybe i'm blind or dumb, but ... how the hell can i transfer files from the phone to my pc? I can charge the phone just fine, but it does not appear as a device on my pc. I'm sure you have to work some Juju to make it happen..

Comment

Unlock your phone and it'll say "connected as charging device" or something. Click that notification and you can change it to data transfer, then it'll show up

Comment

Unlock your phone and it'll say "connected as charging device" or something. Click that notification and you can change it to data transfer, then it'll show up
                          no such notification here...

i'll try another cable, maybe that's the culprit

Comment

Try a different USB port on the PC too

Comment

ok, maybe i'm blind or dumb, but ... how the hell can i transfer files from the phone to my pc? I can charge the phone just fine, but it does not appear as a device on my pc. I'm sure you have to work some Juju to make it happen..
                              Go to Settings > Search > USB Preferences. When you're plugged into the PC you can switch this to file transfer.

Comment

Just got a OP8T for my wife (she was still on a Pixel 1 up to this point)
                                Take what you want...and then pay for it...

Comment

Got sick of the OnePlus Buds Z .. really ****ing annoying how often it would just cut out music because it thought the earbud wasn't in my ear anymore. Constantly fighting with it and having to turn the earbud a hair to get it to resume.. got really old really fast. Going for a run and the first quarter mile the music stops. Like really dude?

Don't know what to replace them with, but overall I might start shifting away from OnePlus - I don't like the changes they made to the stock messaging app.. this stupid "chatbots" thing I can't get rid of made me go back to Textra as my default messaging app..

Comment

Got sick of the OnePlus Buds Z .. really ****ing annoying how often it would just cut out music because it thought the earbud wasn't in my ear anymore. Constantly fighting with it and having to turn the earbud a hair to get it to resume.. got really old really fast. Going for a run and the first quarter mile the music stops. Like really dude?

Don't know what to replace them with, but overall I might start shifting away from OnePlus - I don't like the changes they made to the stock messaging app.. this stupid "chatbots" thing I can't get rid of made me go back to Textra as my default messaging app..
                                    I still love my OnePlus phones, just got a 9 Pro. I don't use the stock messaging app though, have been using the Google one for a while. I've switched to Sony earbuds/on ear Bluetooth headphones, don't have any of the issues the OnePlus headphones had. I literally could not run with the OnePlus Bud Z's, they were awful. My Sony WF-SP800N's are far far far superior. Better battery life, better audio quality, no cutting out issues, and the touch controls actually work, and are located in a spot where you won't accidentally hit them.

Comment

Anyone looking in dismay at Oneplus lately? The changes they're making, losing key developers/leadership, and now the US not getting the same phone as others internationally.. seems like we're getting the short-end of the stick. Slower charging than everyone else, and this attempted merger of operating systems with Oppo..

I'm starting to get in the market for a new phone (OnePlus 8T currently) and the OnePlus 10 Pro is a huge no for me.

Also, really noticing **** camera quality on my 8T lately. I was taking some pics of some car work I was doing and I could not, for the ****ing life of me, get this POS camera to focus correctly. I gave up and just sent a blurry picture instead. Lighting was fine, even tried turning flash on .. it just refused to focus on the brake pads. I tried shifting the background by moving but it just refused.

Comment

Anyone looking in dismay at Oneplus lately? The changes they're making, losing key developers/leadership, and now the US not getting the same phone as others internationally.. seems like we're getting the short-end of the stick. Slower charging than everyone else, and this attempted merger of operating systems with Oppo..

I'm starting to get in the market for a new phone (OnePlus 8T currently) and the OnePlus 10 Pro is a huge no for me.

Also, really noticing **** camera quality on my 8T lately. I was taking some pics of some car work I was doing and I could not, for the ****ing life of me, get this POS camera to focus correctly. I gave up and just sent a blurry picture instead. Lighting was fine, even tried turning flash on .. it just refused to focus on the brake pads. I tried shifting the background by moving but it just refused.
                                        The camera was why I moved on from my 8T to a 9 Pro, camera on the 9 Pro is pretty excellent. Sounds like the 10 Pro may be a downgrade camera wise. OnePlus isn't doing anything compelling anymore. I'm not sure where I'll go for my next phone, maybe Pixel, but I'm not really in the market right now.

Comment

The camera was why I moved on from my 8T to a 9 Pro, camera on the 9 Pro is pretty excellent. Sounds like the 10 Pro may be a downgrade camera wise. OnePlus isn't doing anything compelling anymore. I'm not sure where I'll go for my next phone, maybe Pixel, but I'm not really in the market right now.
                                          I'm considering the new Pixel. I really love the 65w warp-charge, and I think OnePlus did a lot right, but it seems like they're going completely mainstream and lost sight of what made them great. I am very, very disappointed that they are segregating markets by giving different hardware/features to different countries.

I think this is why Carl Pei left. I don't think he liked the direction the company wanted to go, and instead of fighting a losing battle, he left. I might wait to see what his new company, "Nothing," come up with. Apparently they're working on a phone as we speak.

Comment

yeah, it's kinda sad to see where they're heading. I still like my 8 Pro but i'm not so sure what i'll get after that one. Won't be another OnePlus if they don't change something. Such a shame, they started so awesome, but kinda lost their way over the years

Comment

You guys are making this vanilla OP8 user sad. Where to from here?

Comment

Originally posted by Lupine View Post
                                                You guys are making this vanilla OP8 user sad. Where to from here?
                                                dunno to be honest. But as long as you enjoy your phone there's no real need to get something else. I'm still amazed by the quality of the pictures you can snap with the nightmode. Really impressive.

Comment

I am likely going to go with the Pixel when I replace this 8T, which may happen sooner rather than later. I'm just glad it's not only me noticing the poor direction OnePlus is heading - so unfortunate, I really enjoyed their products. I was going to purchase the OnePlus Watch, but I'm out of the market for that now since I'll probably be jumping ship on OnePlus with my next phone.

Comment

I am likely going to go with the Pixel when I replace this 8T, which may happen sooner rather than later. I'm just glad it's not only me noticing the poor direction OnePlus is heading - so unfortunate, I really enjoyed their products. I was going to purchase the OnePlus Watch, but I'm out of the market for that now since I'll probably be jumping ship on OnePlus with my next phone.
                                                    I liked the Watch, but the screen being Gorilla Glass just makes it not durable enough. Mine is scratched to hell. Just replaced it with a Huawei Watch GT2 Pro with sapphire screen, and it is fantastic. Picked this one largely based on dimensions, since it's very similar to the OnePlus Watch.

I got those deep scratches within days of getting the watch, didn't even do anything particularly egregious.

Comment

yep, the 6 Pro looks kinda nice. I think i'll get that one next.

Comment

I liked the Watch, but the screen being Gorilla Glass just makes it not durable enough. Mine is scratched to hell. Just replaced it with a Huawei Watch GT2 Pro with sapphire screen, and it is fantastic. Picked this one largely based on dimensions, since it's very similar to the OnePlus Watch.

I got those deep scratches within days of getting the watch, didn't even do anything particularly egregious.
                                                        I'm kinda glad the actual face of the watch on my Galaxy Watch 4 is recessed. Preventing that sorta wear n' tear. I also forgot I left the plastic covering on the glass till a couple days ago. Opting to leave it on as it feels like a better idea to protect it.
                                                        -Trunks0
                                                        not speaking for all and if I am wrong I never said it.
                                                        (plz note that is meant as a joke)

System:
                                                        Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - PowerColor RedDevil Radeon RX 7900XTX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit

Comment

My 8T is doing weird ****. I can't seem to swipe up to go to the home page anymore. 8/10 times it doesn't see it as an up swipe and rather just me scrolling. Really annoying ..

No clue what I would buy to replace it, though..

Comment

well, get the Pixel then and report back how you like it

Comment

I smacked the **** out of the phone, restarted it for the 99th time, and now it's acting normal again.. weird

Comment

that's one way to "repair" it, i guess

Comment

Bought my first Oneplus phone (Oneplus 9) since I got it for a decent deal. So far, I like it. Had to upgrade from my previous phone since things were...weird on it. Apps would randomly close (listening to Pandora or a podcast in car then it would just turn off after so many minutes), the keyboard was highly inaccurate which lead to typos all the time, phone had some kind of weird lag if I typed a message longer than a paragraph, and I couldn't send text messages to anybody new on my contact list until they sent me a text first...

Yeah, was time for a change.
                                                                  "Ok to lose to opponent, must not lose to fear!"
                                                                  ~Mr. Myagi.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
                                                                  ~George Carlin

"A man moaning in a pr0n sounds like a cow with a kidney stone."

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".

Comment

so my mobile developed a terrible burn-in (at teh top of the screen), first mobile ever that did this. Very disappointing to say at least. Not sure if i'm willing to stay with One+ to be honest.

/rant

Comment

so my mobile developed a terrible burn-in (at teh top of the screen), first mobile ever that did this. Very disappointing to say at least. Not sure if i'm willing to stay with One+ to be honest.

/rant
                                                                      I want to get rid of it so bad, but I also don’t want to get an Apple phone with a Lightning port. I also don’t like Android 12, which they finally pushed (even though everyone is on Android 13 already) to my OnePlus 8T. I’m tempted to go with the Pixel 7 Pro, but ultimately I don’t want to spend hundreds on a phone for a UI experience that has annoyed me to no end for the past couple months.

What One+ do you have?

Comment

I also thought about getting the Pixel 7 Pro, but as you said, it's a ton of money and i'm not absolutely convinced i'll like the "experience" but also won't get an iphone. Question is what other phone might fit my bill.

I have the One+ 8 pro right now.

Comment

I know for a fact I’m not buying One+ again. I’ve considered Samsung, but I dunno..

Apple is pretty appealing, honestly. The only thing holding me back is the lightning connector; I refuse to buy a device using it and have to carry multiple cords around. I’ve been USB-C exclusive for years now, even my iPad uses USB-C. The iPhone 14 Pro is pretty nice, and without a doubt, the camera is top of the market. The Pixel 7 Pro is priced better than everyone else, but it also seems to have concessions that need to be made.

Maybe the iPhone 15..

Comment

As for Samsung

And i won't buy an apple product, i do find it funny how most ragers who once were completely anti-apple are suddenly the biggest fans, interesting. Well, whatever.

That being said there aren't too many mobiles that really caught my interest. Maybe i'll just wait and see. I won't shell out another 1k for somethng i'm not sure about.

Comment

#78
                                                                              That’s my issue too; nothing really has caught my interest and made me feel motivated to go out and purchase. I’ve just been cruising with this phone I don’t like because of it. The camera is also garbage.

Comment

Working...
                                                                              X